Alchemist (3.5e Class)
From D&D Wiki
|Status:||Ready for testing, Playable|
|Editing:||Post on discussion if you have ideas|
 Author's Note
Some of these substances are from off site materials such as Libris Mortis for the Positoxins i.e. (Gravedust, Bloodwine, Liquid Mortality) as well as nonpositoxins such as (Brittlebone, Embalming Fire, Ghost Oil, and Liquid Night), Dragon Magazine (Blood Thickener (#324), Portable Pyre (#324), Ironbane Acid (#359), Stonebreaker Acid (#359 and Arms and Equipment Guide), and Woodripper Acid (#359)), Frostburn (Ice Chalk, Melt Powder, Razor Ice Powder) and Oriental Adventures (Liquid Smoke, Sleeping Fire). --D.M.DemonicPanda
A wizened gnome, with a rather manic gleam in his eyes, stands stirring a bubbling alembic late into the night.
Alchemists are powerful scientists who obsess over value of things. They constantly seek to find a way to make the worthless into something worthwhile. Many Alchemists spend their time making potions to heal or harm, and often to restore life. Almost every alchemist has the ultimate goal of finding or creating the philosopher's stone.
 Making an Alchemist
Abilities: An alchemist is able to find, extract and refine minerals and essences which he can then transmute and combine to create new and powerful substances. He is also skilled in the use of such substances to enhance his mental and physical abilities, notably to lengthen lifespan and gain invisibility. He can also use these substances in a way similar to "enchantment", but to call it that is equal to blasphemy to an Alchemist.
Races: Any race can be an alchemist but an alchemist's specialty revolves around intelligence like a wizard. Preferred races are Gnomes, and Humans. Many alchemists who sell their work also need high charisma to get a good deal.
Alignment: Alchemists cannot be chaotic. They must be neutral or lawful. Alchemists can be anything on the good-evil axis. They can be a good alchemist who uses their magic to heal, or an evil one seeking the stone to become immortal.
Starting Gold: 4d6 times 10 gp (140 gold).
|Saving Throws||Special|| Potions Available Per Day|
by potion level
|1st||+0||+2||+0||+0||Level 1 Alchemical Craft, Skill Focus [Craft (Alchemy)],Brew Potion Bonus Feat||2|
|2nd||+1||+3||+0||+0||Level 2 Alchemical Craft||3|
|3rd||+2||+3||+1||+1||Level 3 Alchemical Craft, Poison Use||3||1|
|4th||+3||+4||+1||+1||Level 4 Alchemical Craft||3||2|
|5th||+3||+4||+1||+1||Level 5 Alchemical Craft||3||3||1|
|6th||+4||+5||+2||+2||Level 6 Alchemical Craft||3||3||2|
|7th||+5||+5||+2||+2||Level 7 Alchemical Craft||3||3||3||1|
|8th||+6/+1||+6||+2||+2||Level 8 Alchemical Craft||3||3||3||2|
|9th||+6/+1||+6||+3||+3||Level 9 Alchemical Craft||3||3||3||3||1|
|11th||+8/+3||+7||+3||+3||Level 1 Alchemical Alteration, Bonus Feat||3||3||3||3||3||1|
|12th||+9/+4||+8||+4||+4||Level 2 Alchemical Alteration||3||3||3||3||3||2|
|13th||+9/+4||+8||+4||+4||Level 3 Alchemical Alteration||3||3||3||3||3||3||1|
|14th||+10/+5||+9||+4||+4||Level 4 Alchemical Alteration||3||3||3||3||3||3||2|
|15th||+11/+6/+1||+9||+5||+5||Level 5 Alchemical Alteration, Bonus Feat||3||3||3||3||3||3||3|
|16th||+12/+7/+2||+10||+5||+5||Level 6 Alchemical Alteration||4||3||3||3||3||3||3|
|17th||+12/+7/+2||+10||+5||+5||Level 7 Alchemical Alteration||4||4||3||3||3||3||3|
|18th||+13/+8/+3||+11||+6||+6||Level 8 Alchemical Alteration||4||4||4||3||3||3||3|
|19th||+14/+9/+4||+11||+6||+6||Level 9 Alchemical Alteration, Bonus Feat||4||4||4||4||3||3||3|
|20th||+15/+10/+5||+12||+6||+6||Mithral to Adamantium||4||4||4||4||4||3||3|
 Class Skills
Class Skills (4 + Int x4 at first level) The Alchemists class skills (and the key ability for each Skill) Appraise (Int),Alchemy(Int), Concentrate (con), Craft (Any, taken individually) (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Heal (Wis), Knowledge [Any, taken individually](Int), Listen (Wis), Profession (Int), Spot (Wis), Spellcraft (Int)
 Class Features
The Alchemist has very science based features. All of the following are class features of the Alchemist.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Alchemists are proficient with light armor and simple weapons. Their time spent studying they craft leaves them with little time for combat training. They are unable to become proficient in other armors until they multi class. They can, however, become proficient in martial weapons. Alchemist may treat Base Acid and Greater Acid as simple weapons for the purpose of avoiding attack penalties.
Potion making guidelines The alchemist can quickly make anything he has the level ability to work with. The alchemist needs to have alchemists tools and a lab in order to work his power, and is limited in its uses. This is reflecting in "Alchemy Points", which are equal to (alchemists level)+(INT modifier)+ (half ranks in alchemy). Each Alchemical Craft requires its level in Alchemy Points and the proper time be spent. Positoxins in addition to the time and alchemy points also require 1 vial of Holy Water. Also this process does not create vials or flasks and these must be bought or made via a Craft(Glassblowing) Check.
For example, a level 13 alchemist with an intelligence modifier of +3 and 10 ranks in alchemy can use all alchemical craft, and lvls 1,2,3 alchemical alteration. He has 21 Alchemy Points (21=13+3+5) to use each day. Each Alchemical Craft takes 10 minutes per level of Alchemical Craft being used, with 0th level counting as 1/2 (so creating two sunrods takes 10 minutes and 1 Alchemy Point, creating gunpowder takes 90 minutes and 9 Alchemy Points).
Potion Recipe Guidelines
Alchemists by nature abhor the so called un-explained, and the magic users as being all powerful. Most alchemists will spend their lives trying and successfully duplicating most so called magical wonders; simply through the application of the alchemical process.
The alchemists has the ability to create potions to reproduce "spell" like effects. The cost of these potions is the base cost of the potion equivalent alchemist points. ex: a level 13 alchemist with an intelligence modifier of +3 and 10 ranks in alchemy can use all alchemical craft, lvls 1,2,3 alchemical alterations, and lvl 0-6 arcane spells to duplicate alchemically. The alchemist has a limited amount of alchemist points available at anyone given time but may allow them to acrue over several days. However when duplicating arcane spells alchemically the alchemist is limited to only so many to be used per day regardless of the number of alchemists points, time, or other requirements that may be available.
It is possible for the alchemist to continue their studies and become far more advanced in the creation of alchemical potions. However a prestige class must be taken in order to be come an Alchemist Savant. Where this Prestige class would most commonly only be allowed spell vials or what is referred to here as potions up to level 3 arcane spells. An alchemist as a core class that has taken Alchemist Savant as a prestige class will then be able to utilize 4,5,6 level arcane spells, at the proper progression from the chart above, as well as gain the specialized abilities of the Alchemist Savant.
Alchemical Craft: Alchemists can use their skills to create potions and other scientific objects.
2nd—Antitoxin, Gravedust (See Note), Melt Powder (See Note)
4th—Ironbane Acid (See Note), Liquid Smoke (See Note), Mist Pellet, Stonebreaker Acid (See Note), Woodripper Acid (See Note), pressure explosives
8th—Fulminating Gold, Ghost Oil (See Note), Liquid Night (See Note), Razor Ice Powder (See Note)
9th—Gunpowder, Liquid Mortality (See Note)
Alchemical Alterations: Alchemists can use their powers to alter one substance into another, strengthen weapons, and armor.
1st— DC11 poisons, Deoxidation Transmutation, Gold to Lead, Lead to Gold, Oxidation Transmutation
2nd— DC12 Poisons, Weapon +1, Fermentation
3rd—DC13 poisons, Armor +1
4th—DC14 poisons, Gold Restoring
5th—DC15 poisons, Steel to Mithril
6th—DC16 poisons, Weapon +2
7th—DC17 poisons, Armor +2
8th—DC18 poisons, Plateing
9th—DC20 poisons, Secret of Alchemy, Weapon Magics
- any items you do not understand and i have not explained, feel free to look up.
Skill Focus [Craft (Alchemy)] The Alchemist receives the Skill Focus feat for Craft (Alchemy). If the Alchemist already has this Feat then it may be applied to any of the following skills; Forgery, Concentration, Appraise
Poison Use The Alchemist are trained in the use of poison and never risk accidentally poisoning themselves when applying poison to an object.
Pressure Explosives The Alchemist, with his knowledge of chemical reaction, can combine chemicals to create a pressure reaction which if put in a sealed container, will cause an explosion. There are many ways to use this skill and create improvised weapons.
Greater Acid The Alchemist has the ability to create an acid that can burn its way through wood and soft metals. It can also be used as a thrown weapon dealing 2d6 on contact and an additional 1d6 of splash damage in a 15ft diameter.
Homunculus Familiar In exchange for a total of 100 Alchemy Points the Alchemist may summon a familiar as if by Ell's Handy Homunculus without having to pay for materials, performing skill checks, requiring Craft Construct or sacrificing XP. The process takes a number of days equal to the time it takes for your alchemist to generate the 100 Alchemy Points plus three hours. During this time the Alchemist must focus his Alchemy Points into a rune inscribed stone or other object that shall act as a base for the Homunculus' body to form around. Also during the process the alchemist may not move farther than 25ft. from the object acting as the base. If he does the stone begins to lose the Alchemy points at a rate of 1 Point/Minute. An Alchemist may only have 1 Homunculus under his control at one time and must wait 1 week after it is destroyed to begin forming a new one. The Homunculus familiar receives none of the regular Sorcerer/Wizard Familiars. All homunculus familiars made by this class ability have the supernatural ability to speak one of their master's languages, as only one familiar can be obtained(non epic characters)if the character has a previous familiar feat the player may choose to remove ether this feat, or the other feat, for a different familiar feat such as enchanted familiar.
Spell Potions A spell-caster can cast any known spell (that they have the sufficient level proficiency for) into a potion. The spell must be cast how ever, spells from items can not be used,unless the essence of the magic is extracted, making the item it cam from useless,much like a charge-less wand. Additionally gnomish spells stem from genetic, spells of this nature can be applied to potions. The cost of making potions can be determined by the dungeon master. Xp can be taken from the player, or gold. The most logicle system is to remove one spell per day, and one craft per day.
 Alchemical Alterations
Deoxidation Transmutation The alchemist has the ability to cause any rusted iron or iron based object to release the Oxygen that causes the metal to become stronger repairing it to the original state. If the target is a iron or iron based creature is the target of this ability it heals the creature of 3d6 damage +1/2 levels of Alchemist. Objects or Creatures must have a transmutation circle drawn upon it. Drawing a transmutation circle takes a standard action if the object is stationary and a full round if the object is mobile. Drawing a transmutation circle consumes 1/10 of a piece of chalk. The transmutation may be performed as a swift action. Oxidation Transmutation cost 2 Alchemy Points.
Lead to Gold The alchemist has the ability to turn a block of lead into gold coins, 1d6 coins per 5 pounds of lead. The process of Transmuting Lead to Gold takes 3d4 (10 minutes)/5lb. of lead being transmuted. This ability takes 2 Alchemy Points per 5 pounds of Lead.
Gold to Lead The alchemist has the ability to turn an amount of gold into a amount of lead at a conversion rate of .5lb gold/1.5lb of Lead. This cost 2 Alchemy points per .5lb converted. This ability requires direct contact with the object and a transmutation circle to be drawn upon it. Drawing a transmutation circle consumes 1/10 of a piece of chalk. The transmutation may be performed as a swift action. Drawing a transmutation circle takes a standard action if the object is stationary and a full round if the object is mobile.
Oxidation Transmutation The alchemist has the ability to cause any iron or iron based object to rust upon transmutation. This ability is as the druid spell Rusting Grasp. However the object in question must have a transmutation circle drawn upon it. Drawing a transmutation circle takes a standard action if the object is stationary and a full round if the object is mobile. Drawing a transmutation circle consumes 1/10 of a piece of chalk. The transmutation may be performed as a swift action. Oxidation Transmutation cost 3 Alchemy Points.
Armor and Weapon +1/+2 The Alchemist has the ability to make weapons a little stronger or more powerful, giving them a +1 or +2 bonus to damage or armor class.
- To grant a +1 bonus to damage the process takes 4d6 (10 minutes) +1 hour/bonus or special ability already applied to the weapon.
This ability takes 5 Alchemy Points for +1 to damage.
- To grant a +2 bonus to damage the process takes 4d10 (10 minutes) +2 hours/bonus or special ability already granted to the weapon.
This ability takes 12 Alchemy Points for a +2 bonus to damage.
- To grant a +1 bonus to AC the process takes 5d6 (10 minutes) +1 hour/bonus or special ability already applied to the piece of armor.
This ability takes 7 Alchemy Points for a +1 bonus to AC.
- To grant a +2 bonus to AC the process takes 5d10 (10 minutes) +2 hours/bonus or special ability already granted to the piece of armor.
This ability takes 16 Alchemy Points for a +2 bonus to AC.
Fermentation Convert carbohydrates of a food or liquid(except water and alcohol) into alcohols. This causes the object to become extremely intoxicating and flammable. Flammable liquids formed deal 3d6 upon ignition and burn for 1d4+1 rounds. When intoxicating food is eaten it causes the creature to become intoxicated taking -4 on all dexterity based checks unless it succeeds a will based saving throw of 10 + Alchemist Level. This process takes 5 minutes for every 1/2 pound to be converted and cost 1 Alchemy Point.
Gold Restore The Alchemist can take any item and change it into gold equal to half its market price. Alchemist can only transmute Metal objects this way. The conversion may be performed as a swift action if a transmutation circle has been drawn upon the object. Drawing a transmutation circle takes a standard action if the object is stationary and a full round if the object is mobile. Drawing a transmutation circle consumes 1/10 of a piece of chalk. The transmutation cost 2 Alchemy Point per 5 pounds of the substance being transmuted. A partial transmutation can not be performed.
Steel to Mithral The Alchemist has the ability to take any weapon or armor and change it from steel to Mithral strength steel. It gains no bonus other than enhanced HP and higher break DC. The item gains all the properties of mithral, but cannot be sold for a profit as it is not natural mithral. The process takes 10 minutes and 3 points per 5 pounds.
Mithral to Adamantium The Alchemist can take any mithral weapon or armor (including one alchemically changed from steel) and turn it into adamantium. The item gains all properties of adamantium, but cannot be sold for a profit as it is not natural adamantium. This process takes 15 minutes and 4 points per 5 pounds.
Plating The Alchemist can take other metals and use them to give the weapon or armor a plating. By using silver, an alchemist can create a silver plated sword to affect lycanthropes more effectively. If plating a weaker metal with a stronger metal (i.e. you don't have enough adamantium for a full weapon, but enough to plate it.) it increases the weapons hit points by half the amount of a weapon of that metal. (If plating with adamantium, find the hp of a weapon made of adamantium, divide it by two, and add that to your weapon HP) and to find the plated weapons DC, add its Current DC with the DC of a weapon made of the stronger metal, then divide the total by two. the weapon does not gain any bonuses of the metal that are derived form its strength. (i.e. Adamantium's ability to ignore the DC check of anything less than 20.) This cannot be used on objects that have converted Steel to Mithral or Mithral to Adamantium.
Weapon Magics At high levels the Alchemist can take an item with magical properties, and meld it with any other object, giving the other object all its properties. An Alchemist can meld a ring of protection (+2 AC) with a spider ring (+2 to climb), and have a spider ring of protection (+2 to AC and Climb). Or meld a ring of protection (+2 to AC) with half plate armor and get halfplate of protection, or halfplate +2. No more than 4 items can be melded for improved effects in a single item.
Secret of Alchemy: At level 20 the Alchemist may choose one Secret of Alchemy
- Albedo: This Alchemical Process purifies the target with a single radiant white blow removing all negative effects upon the being except death, however this may also be used to invert the subjects Alignment. This process takes 4 hours/3 levels, 300gp in raw materials, 12 alchemy points, and 1 piece of chalk. A use of this ability may be stored by the alchemist however it cost 1 per hour that it is maintained. The actual application to the subject is instantaneous however requires physical contact between the alchemist and the subject.
- Citrinas:This Alchemical process creates a potion that grants temporary invulnerability to whomever uses it. The subject upon ingesting the silver liquid will begin to shine gold. The being becomes immune to all physical means of damage for 5d6 rounds and puts off a golden light illuminating a 30ft radius around themselves. Once the potion wears off however the user will be unable to ingest another sample for 1d4+1 days otherwise the potion will drain the user 1 constitution point per use after the first during this period. This potion takes 6 hours to create, cost 15 alchemy points and 800g in materials.
- Minor Elixir of Life: The Alchemist can create 1 vial of a crimson liquid that takes 1d4+1 days and 500g worth of material components as well as 15 Alchemy Points to create. The liquid once consumed by a mortal it extends the drinker's life by 1d6 years. If consumed by a Undead being the creature loses its immortality and then requires all acts that its living form had prior to turning. If they are a natural born undead the elixir kills them.
- Nigredo: The alchemical process allows the user to cause things to violently decompose and burn to become a pure black powder.Swift Action, a transmutation circle must be drawn. 1/10th of a piece of chalk is consumed for every 5ft of the circumference of the circle. Drawing the circle is considered a free action that is done while moving. The alchemist can draw a circle that is one five foot square around them in all directions as a free action.(15ft Diameter consuming 8/10 of a piece of chalk) A Nigredo Potion must be produced prior to or after the circle has been drawn. A Nigredo Potion takes 6 hours to create, and cost 15 alchemy points and 800g in materials.Once the circle has been drawn any target that is moved/or moves freely into the circle and fits in its entirety into the circle can be struck with the Nigredo Potion as a swift action. The action of holding the potion at the ready can be used as a held action to be used at the first possible chance without interrupting an opposing targets turn or round set. Bypassing initiative scores, however if this action is held at the ready the Nigredo Potion is so unstable it takes a large amount of concentration from the alchemist and will come at the cost of 1 alchemist point per round held. The Nigredo alchemical process being followed, and the application of the potion to a target while in the transmutation circle in its entirety with a successful ranged touch attack the results will be. The potion deals 5d10+Int modifier initial damage. And the target takes damage over time of 10+Int modifier damage until the target is destroyed. However no save is available. This effect has no chance of removal or reprieve. If the Nigredo Potion is used against a target outside or not fully enclosed in the transmutation circle the target Takes 5d10+ Int. Modifier damage, then 10 damage + Int. Modifier for 1d6 rounds. If a fortitude save of 10+half the alchemist lvl + Int. Modifier is passed. Then the initial strike of 5d10+Int. modifier remains but, the damage over time is then 5 damage+Int. Modifier for 1d6 rounds. Once the target has been destroyed while either in the transmutation circle or not. So long as it is destroyed after the Nigredo Potion has be successfully applied. The target upon death decays to a pile of pure black powder. Target: One creature or object
- Rubedo: Allows the Alchemist to fuse their own spirit, the spirit of a willing individual, or any loose spirit to an inanimate object such as a suit of armor. The spirit retains all abilities they had in their previous body if it is the same shape and has the same limbs as their prior body. The new vessel even if it would not normally be capable of moving may do so. If without limbs by flight. If with limbs basic movement. This process takes 3 hours/5 levels, 4 pieces of chalk that creates alchemist circle 5ft in diameter, and cost 4 Alchemy points per 5 levels.
- Universal Solvent: Allows the user to create an acid that can dissolve anything save glass. A single vial covers 1/2ft by 1/2ft area when broken automatically reducing the substances exposed to water. The process takes 5 hours to create a single vial in addition to 500g in raw materials and 16 alchemy points.
 Campaign Information
 Playing an Alchemist
Religion: Alchemists rely on their understanding of science to survive. They are generally extremely critical when it comes to magic and piety. Most Alchemists follow no deity, and believe solely in the power of their chemicals themselves.
Other Classes: While the Alchemist will not work well with the paladin, cleric, druid, wizard, or sorcerer, they can accept classes that do not rely on magic or gods. As scientists they recognize violence as a sometimes inevitable and necessary part of civilization.
Combat: While the Alchemist can be somewhat useful in fighting, the Alchemists greatest power lies in his ability to create improvised weapons(i.e. explosive potions). they have the ability to alter matter itself and this also has its own place in combat.
Advancement: Alchemists will avoid multiclassing to anything that requires holiness or magic. The usual multi class options will involve basic combat ability or other scientific advancement. Once an alchemist multiclasses, he or she cannot gain any more levels in alchemist class.
 Alchemists in the World
Some basic information on the average Alchemist.
|“||Look around you, all you see is vials and random chemicals, all which are nothing on their own. When I look I see a vast number of options... I could take a number of these vials, and depending on what I mix, I could do anything.||”|
|—Hanover Fist, Human Alchemist|
Alchemists tend to live in larger cities where it is easy to find materials to work with, although sometimes an alchemist will stock up and move somewhere remote to keep his work hidden.
Daily Life: Alchemists like to spend most of their days inside studying and are usually only drawn out of their home from a need for food, water, materials, or the hope of getting some rare material with which to work.
Organizations: While it isn't very common, sometimes there will be a local gathering of alchemists to share what they know or any new discoveries. Alchemists tend to be very reclusive as they do not like to be bothered or have their work stolen.
 Alchemist Lore
Characters with ranks in Knowledge (Arcana) can research an Alchemist to learn more about them. When a character makes a skill check, read or paraphrase the following, including information from lower DCs.
|11||Alchemists are researchers and loremasters who specialize in potions.|
|16||Alchemists are very skilled in creating potions and are able researchers of the secrets of life and the multiverse in general.|
|21||Alchemists are able to learn incredible secrets, and thus are able to reshape themselves and the universe around them.|
|26||Very powerful alchemists can even reach the secret of eternal life, making them young forever and thus able to evade death. However, that ability doesn't stop them from dying by the sword.|
 Alchemists in the Game
Alchemists rarely interact well with the divine or the magical. They don't like to be interrupted unless absolute necessary. Alchemists are more of a buffer class, and are not very useful in combat themselves. They are, however, useful for strengthening items, and improvising weapons.
Adaptation: Not all Alchemists adhere to these rules however. Some alchemists are more open minded, they may accept magic or divinity, but they will always be somewhat critical, and will always see science as the stronger power.