Shark-Man (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
Shark-men live for combat. They enjoy the thrill of victory and revel in chaos. Unruly and aggressive, one must be careful when dealing with shark-men as their sometimes unpredictable behavior makes them dangerous. However, they have great respect for those who can hold their own in physical combat, so one could say they have a twisted sense of honor.
Shark-men (and shark-women, by extension) stand at around the same general height and weight as humans. However, shark-men have tougher skin as a result of having bodies composed of cartilage, and they they have fins sticking out from their forearms. The shark-man's head is in a shape of a tiger shark, and he has sharpened teeth that are used to bite into enemies. Shark-men are usually blue or light purple in "skin" color, and they sometimes have black stripes. They do not have body hair, and the hair on their heads never grows more than a few inches long for either gender.
Shark-men are fully matured at 18 years and can live up to 175 years.
As befitting their aquatic lifestyle, shark-men do not have strong relations with their land-dwelling counterparts. Those races that live near the sea will often pay the shark-men for safe passage across the sea, so shark-men are often seen as useful assets and not firends. However, some humans do hold the shark-men in high regard, especially those who have been aided by them on more than one occassion.
The shark-men care only about fighting, not giving a hoot about morality, but they do not like law, viewing it as a barrier between combat and their freedom, so they are usually chaotic.
It is impossible for shark-men to have a land; the sea is their home.
The shark-men are addicted to combat and care little about prayer. On the other hand, superstitious shark-men pray daily to Kord, the god of athletics. Though there have been rumors of sea gods, only the shark-men themselves know of such beings.
Shark-men speak Common, and they rarely learn a second language.
Shark-men have human names. sea demond
- +4 Strength, +2 Constitution, -4 Intelligence, -2 Wisdom: Shark-men are big and hardy, but not very bright.
- Humanoid (Aquatic): Shark-men are humanoid in appearance, but have the head and skin of a shark.
- Medium: As a Medium creature, the shark-man gets no bonus or penalty related to size.
- The shark-man's base land speed is 30 feet, and he has a swim speed of 30 feet.
- Low-Light Vision (x3 underwater): The shark-man can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of shadowy illumination. It retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions. They can see three times as far as humans while underwater.
- +4 racial bonus on Swim checks: As befitting their aquatic nature, shark-men have fins that enable them to swim more effectively than other creatures.
- The shark-man has a secondary bite attack that deals 1d8 damage.
- Gills and Lungs (Ex): The shark-man can breathe air for 4 rounds per point of Constitution before suffocation begins. Shark-men have both gills and lungs, but their lungs have become less efficient due to the experiment conducted on them, forcing them to return to sea after only a brief time.
- Aquatic Mastery (Ex): The shark-man gets a +1 bonus to attack rolls when fighting underwater, but gets a -1 penalty on attack rolls while on land. The shark-men become more used to the water over time, and this makes them better combatants in the water.
- Cartilaginous Body (Ex): The shark-man gets a +1 natural armor bonus to AC, but they cannot wear heavy armor. The shark-man's body is made of a rubbery material that protects them, but wearing heavy armor can wear on them and cause permanent physical injury.
- Automatic Languages: Common.
- Bonus Languages: Aquan, Elven.
- Favored Class: Barbarian. A multiclass shark-man’s barbarian class does not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing. Shark-men love combat, viewing it as both a sport and a way of life.
- Level Adjustment: +0
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|44 years||77 years||125 years||+5d10 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||4' 10"||+2d10||95 lbs.||× (2d4) lbs.|
|Female||4' 8"||+2d10||75 lbs.||× (2d4) lbs.|