Weapon (light crossbow), very rare (requires attunement by Artificer (Unearthed Arcana))
This crossbow can be used as a normal crossbow but has also been modified to launch specialized vials at targets within range. This modification has a short range of 30 feet and a long range of 60 feet. The specialized vials cost 1 gp to make.
A creature hit by a vial takes 1 piercing damage and is immediately affected by the contents of the vial.
If you are an artificer, you gain the following benefits depending on your archetype:
- You have a +2 bonus to attack and damage rolls made using this magic weapon.
If you have the alchemist archetype, you gain the following benefits:
- Your Alchemist Satchel links with the crossbow and automatically changes its vial shape to fit the crossbow. You can fire your potions from this weapon using your spell attack bonus.
- When you target a nonhostile creature with this weapon, if they are within the short range you automatically hit and if they are in the long range you roll as normal to hit.
If you have the gunsmith archetype, you gain the following benefits:
- This crossbow can be made into your thunder cannon. The damage from the cannon increases to 2d8. Your cannon now holds 3 shots before it needs to be reloaded as a bonus action.
- When when you make an attack roll against a target within 15 feet of you with this weapon, you ignore half and three-quarters cover.
Back to Main Page → 5e Homebrew → Equipment → Magic Weapons