Toa (Bionicle) (3.5e Racial Class)
From D&D Wiki
- 1 Toa
- 1.1 Becoming a Toa
- 1.2 Racial Traits
- 1.3 Class Features
- 1.4 Masks
- 1.5 Elemental Affinities
- 1.6 Elemental Power Domains
- 1.6.1 Fire Domain
- 1.6.2 Water Domain
- 1.6.3 Stone Domain
- 1.6.4 Ice Domain
- 1.6.5 Air Domain
- 1.6.6 Earth Domain
- 1.6.7 Light Domain
- 1.6.8 Psionics Domain
- 1.6.9 Sonics Domain
- 1.6.10 Gravity Domain
- 1.6.11 "The Green" (Plantlife) Domain
- 1.6.12 Magnetic Domain
- 1.6.13 Plasma Domain
- 1.6.14 Lightning Domain
- 1.6.15 Shadow Domain
Toa are bio-mechanical beings, and as such are subject to critical hits, take only 1/2 healing from spells of the healing sub-school, and only heal at 1/2 the normal rate naturally. Repair spells have full effect however.
Becoming a Toa
Toa are born exclusively from Matoran, and Matoran are chosen to become Toa by the great spirit, Mata Nui. However, there are quite a few ways to become a Toa.
- Toa Stone: The most common and traditional way. A Toa infuses a stone with a rune that transfers their Toa energy to a chosen Matoran once the matoran places it in a suva. The Toa who's energy is transferred out of becomes a Turaga.
- Legendary Mask: Very rare because so few (3-4) exist, these masks are actually infused with great amounts of Toa energy. When a legendary mask is placed upon the face of it's chosen Matoran, that Matoran receives the Toa energy that the mask was infused with.
- Lightning of the Red Star: Only happened in one, very specific case. In this case, the Matoran isn't even required to be chosen by Mata Nui, but instead is struck with lightning from the Red Star and supercharged with Toa energy. The resulting Toa form's mask is fused to the Toa's face and fleshy, however still functions as normal otherwise.
- Destined: Rare, but not unheard of. Some Matoran are chosen by Mata Nui before they are even built, and as such have an untapped reservoir of Toa energy that is simply unleashed by some trigger.
Note: For non-Matoran characters that are being allowed to become Toa, it is advised to properly convert their race to Matoran before this racial class is applied.
- Starting Ability Score Adjustments: Dex +2
- Type: Living Construct
- Elemental Affinity (Ex): Toa are innately attuned to a certain element depending on their sub-race. Toa also keep their Matoran Elemental Affinity bonuses unless they are superseded by the Toa's. (See Table: Sub-Races)
- Elemental Powers (Sp): Toa are capable of using elemental powers which are fueled by their Toa energy. A Toa has a base number of power points equal to their Constitution modifier, and gain an additional 3 power points each level, allowing the powers to be used at stronger levels and in greater quantity. Toa may not use power points they do not have. Power points fully recharge after a good night's rest (14.5 hrs Matoran/ 8 hrs Human). If the amount of power points a Toa has is negative, the amount below 0 is subtracted from their next recharge's allotment. If a Toa's power point allotment is fully expended, their STR and DEX scores are 1/2-ed until their power points are fully recharged.
- Elemental Replenishment (Sp): In addition to a Toa's elemental power set granted by their domain, a Toa has the ability to absorb their element to gain the power point related benefits of a good night's rest. x HD. This also has the same effects on prepared spells as a good nights rest. This process requires 1 hour of uninterrupted absorption at base and is modified by any effects that would apply to normal resting period. (Power Point Capacity x 15 lb.)3 of the Toa's element must be present to be absorbed in this process or it will fail. This ability does not provide any special protection from the element, nor does it fulfill the daily sustenance requirements.
- Greater Mask (Ex): When a Toa comes into being, their worn mask becomes a Great Mask. A character without a worn mask may chose one in their possession to make a Great mask. If the character does not have any masks in their possession at the time, they receive the Great form of a mask from the starting mask table (Table: Starting Masks). While a Toa wears a mask, the mask becomes one of their colors (Table: Sub-Races). Toa do not die from not wearing a mask, but can still fall into a coma and half their STR, CON, and DEX scores.
- Mask Adept (Ex): Starting at 1st level, a Toa gains the ability to use mask powers, along with a +1 Competency bonus on checks to use mask powers. This bonus increases by 1 for every 2 levels of Toa thereafter (+2 at 3rd, +3 at 5th, +4 at 7th, +5 at 9th, +6 at 11th, +7 at 13th, +8 at 15th, +9 at 17th, +10 at 19th, Lv).
- Healthful Elemental Replenishment (Sp): At 7th Lv or higher, a Toa may restore an amount of HP equal to Toa Lv. x CON modifier to theirself upon completing a full power point recharge as a result of using their Elemental Replenishment class ability.
Weapon Proficiencies: Toa gain no weapon or armor proficiency.
|1st||+0||+0||+2||+2||1||Greater Elemental Affinity, Elemental Replenishment, Mask, Mask Adept (+1)||3|
|3rd||+2||+1||+3||+3||1||Mask Adept (+2)||9|
|5th||+4||+1||+4||+4||2||Mask Adept (+3)||15|
|7th||+6||+2||+5||+5||3||Mask Adept (+4), Healthful Elemental Replenishment||21|
|9th||+8||+3||+6||+6||4||Mask Adept (+5)||27|
|11th||+10||+3||+7||+7||5||Mask Adept (+6)||33|
|13th||+12||+4||+8||+8||5||Mask Adept (+7)||39|
|15th||+14||+5||+9||+9||6||Mask Adept (+8)||45|
|17th||+16||+5||+10||+10||7||Mask Adept (+9)||51|
|19th||+18||+6||+11||+11||8||Mask Adept (+10)||57|
A Toa may begin the use of a mask's power with a Concentration check (DC 10 + Mask Power Level + 5 if in a distracting situation). While masks' powers are in use, they give off a faint glow colored appropriately to match their wearer's element. The light from the glow dimly illuminates a 5ft. radius. Masks that conceal their wearer grant a +5 bonus to conceal the glow.
Masks are all made of a material known as Protodermis, which is conductive, ferrous, and hard. Masks grant a +1 Armor bonus to AC, weigh 3 lbs, and take up the goggles and helmet slots on a character's body. In the case that the user is changed into a different creature, their mask should be counted as part of their face until such a time as they change back. Masks attach to their wearer's face with magnetic force they generate, and as such cannot be comfortably worn by many other races.
For the purpose of determining a mask power's potency, a mask has a caster level of (power level - 6) x 5, and CON is a Toa's significant ability when casting.
If a mask cracks or breaks, roll 1d4. On a roll of 1 or 2, a cracked mask will effect all creatures within an area equal to mask's power level x 2 for a number of weeks equal to the mask's power level, or a broken mask will effect all creatures within an area equal to mask's power level x 5 with it's mask power for the duration of it's power.
Table: Mask Modifications
|Head Lamp||1,000gp||Cone of Light 30 ft.|
|Telescope||1,000gp||+4 Spot; distance penalty changes to -1 per 30 ft; -15 to spot anything within 15 ft. of character|
|Microscope||1,000gp||+4 Search; grants synergy bonus to appraise, craft, and analyzing materials with knowledge skills|
|Light Protection||12,500gp||+5 on saves against vision being effected by light-based effects; those who have trouble seeing in normal or bright light are able to see normally in such degrees of lighting; Those without low-light vision or darkvision are blind in dim and dark light|
|Heads Up Display (HUD)||37,500gp||Deathwatch, Darkvision 20 ft.|
Table: Starting Masks
|Kanohi [Name]||Mask of [Title]||Power Lv.||Power(s)|
|Hau||Protection||8||Resilient Sphere (Personal)|
|Pakari||Strength||8||Divine Might (Personal)|
|Kaukau||Water Breathing||8||Water Breathing (Personal)|
|Akaku||Far Seeing||8||See through objects at -2 per 10 ft. penalty in addition to normal penalties|
|Mahiki||Illusion||8||Disguise Self, Mirror Immage (Personal)|
|Komau||Mind Control||8||Command Intelligent (As Command Person, but works on any intelligent, sentient creature)|
|Rau||Translation||8||Comprehend Languages, Toungs (Personal)|
|Ruru||Night Vision||8||Darkvision (Personal), See through objects at -5 per 10 ft. penalty in addition to normal penalties, 60 ft. cone of light in the direction the wearer is facing|
(Needs to be upgraded to Toa from Matoran)
|Ta-||Fire||Red, Orange, Yellow, & Black||DR 2 Fire; Improved Initiative||Male|
|Ga-||Water||Various shades of Blue||Wis +2; Swim +4||Female|
|Po-||Stone||Brown, Tan, Orange, Yellow, & Black||Str +2; Climb +4; Swim -4||Male|
|Ko-||Ice||White, Gray, Sand Blue, Silver, Light Blue, & Black||Int +2; DR Cold 2; Cha -2||Male|
|Le-||Air||Lime-Green & Teal||Land Speed +5; Climb +2; Jump +2; Balance -4||Male|
|Onu-||Earth||Black, Dark Grey, Purple, Tan, & Orange||STR +2; Darkvision 120 ft.; Low-light vision; Light Sensitivity (see below)||Male|
|Av-||Light||Gold & White||Disguise Self; Searing Light1||Either|
|Ce-||Psionics||Blue & Gold||INT +2; Immune to all mind affecting spells and abilities (Mind Control, Telepathy, Psionics, ect...)||Female|
|De-||Sonics||Grey & Black||Listen +8; Move Silently +8; Weakness Sonic*2||Male|
|Ba-||Gravity||Purple & Black||DR Force 2; Feather Fall 30 ft.||Male|
|Bo-||"The Green"||Green & Blue||Goodberry; Knowledge (Nature/Pharmacology) +4; Heal +4||Male|
|Fa-||Magnetism||Gunmetal Grey & Black||Know Direction||Male|
|Fe-||Iron||Metallic Grey & Burnt Orange||Con +2; +2 Natural AC||Male|
|Su-||Plasma||Orange & White||DR Fire 5; DR Light 2; Immune to Light effects that blind (Sunshades, Yea)||Male|
|Vo-||Lightning||Blue & White||DR Electricity 2; Improved initiative||Female|
|Kra-||Shadow||Black & As Previous||All descriptors of spells and abilities become Shadow; Serve a Makuta (work in progress); Enervation; Weakness Light*2; Evil||As Previous|
Sub-Race Ability Descriptions
Light Sensitivity (Ex)
Dazzled in bright sunlight or within the radius of a daylight spell.
Elemental Power Domains
All elemental powers are activated by expending 1 power point and may be used as if cast at caster level 1 by expending additional power points equal to the power’s spell level. Higher caster levels may be achieved by expending an additional 1 power point per additional caster level.
Metamagic: Metamagic feats that work by increasing the spell level are counted towards the base use cost in terms of power points.
Granted Power: Heat Metal as a touch-range power using Toa level as caster level as long as the Toa has Power Points remaining.
Fire Domain Powers
0. Flare: Dazzles one creature (–1 penalty on attack rolls).
1. Produce Flame: 1d6 damage +1/ level, touch or thrown.
2. Pyrotechnics: Turns fire into blinding light or choking smoke.
3. Resist Energy(#): Ignores 10 (or more) points of damage/attack from specified energy type.
4. Wall of Fire: Deals 2d4 fire damage out to 10 ft. and 1d4 out to 20 ft. Passing through wall deals 2d6 damage +1/level.
5. Flame Strike: Smite foes with divine fire (1d6/level damage).
6. Ray of Flame(#): 3 flaming beams hit subjects, each dealing 20 points fire damage (Reflex half)
7. Fire Storm: Deals 1d6/level fire damage.
8. Incendiary Cloud: Cloud deals 4d6 fire damage/round.
9. Meteor Swarm: Four exploding spheres each deal 6d6 fire damage.
- Resist cold or fire only.
- Variation of Prismatic Spray.
Granted Power: +20 ft. Swim Speed and can hold breath for 1.5x as long as normal long as the Toa has Power Points remaining.
Water Domain Powers
0. Cure Minor Wounds: Cures 1 point of damage.
1. Create Water: Creates 2 gallons/level of pure water.
2. Fog Cloud: Fog obscures vision.
3. Quench: Extinguishes nonmagical fires or one magic item.
4. Wall of Water(#): Wall is immune to damage and entraps or forces out those who try to pass through with respective grapple and strength checks. The wall has a strength score equal to your caster level.
5. Commune with Nature*: Learn about terrain for 1 mile/level.
6. Control Water: Raises or lowers bodies of water.
7. Control Weather(#): Changes weather in local area.
8. Horrid Wilting: Deals 1d6/level damage within 30 ft.
9. Water Imprisonment(#): Engulfs subject in a floating sphere of water.
- Can only be used when in contact with a body of water.
- Can be changed to fog, sleet, Torrential Rain, sleet storm, hail storm, or blizzard.
- Variation of Imprisonment.
Granted Power: +2 to AC and all saving throws as long as the Toa has Power Points remaining.
Stone Domain Powers
0. Guidance: +1 on one attack roll, saving throw, or skill check.
1. Magic Stone: Three stones become +1 projectiles, 1d6 +1 damage.
2. Soften Stone: Turns stone to clay.
3. Stone Shape: Sculpts stone into any shape.
4. Spike Stones: Creatures in area take 1d8 damage, may be lowed.
5. Wall of Stone: Creates a stone wall that can be shaped.
6. Stoneskin M: Ignore 10 points of damage per attack.
7. Hold Person, Mass(#): Paralyzes all within 30 ft. for 1 round/level.
8. Repel Stone: Pushes away stone.
9. Augmented Stone Arm(##): Large hand provides cover, pushes, grapples, attacks, or crushes your foes.
- Can only be used when in contact with stone.
- Combination of Bigby’s Grasping Hand, Clenched Fist, and Crushing Hand.
Granted Power: Chill Metal as a touch-range power using Toa level as caster level as long as the Toa has Power Points remaining.
Ice Domain Spells
0. Ray of Frost: Ray deals 1d3 cold damage.
1. Chill Touch: One touch/level deals 1d6 damage and possibly 1 Str damage.
2. Spike Ice(#): Creatures in area take 1d6 damage, may be slowed.
3. Slow: One subject/level takes only one action/round, –2 to AC, –2 on attack rolls.
4. Wall of Ice: Ice plane creates wall with 15 hp +1/level, or hemisphere can trap creatures inside.
5. Ice Storm: Hail deals 5d6 damage in cylinder 40 ft. across.
6. Otiluke’s Freezing Sphere: Freezes water or deals cold damage.
7. Frosty Statue(#): Touched subject becomes a frozen statue.
8. Polar Ray: Ranged touch attack deals 1d6/level cold damage.
9. Blizzard World(#): Storm of snow and hail deals cold damage hampers vision and movement.
- Variation of Spike Growth
- Combination of Flesh to Stone and Statue in which the subject of the spell cannot choose to move.
- Variation of Storm of Vengeance combined with Sleet Storm and Ice Storm
Granted Power: +8 Jump and Featherfall as long as the Toa has Power Points remaining.
Air Domain Spells
0. Mage Hand: 5-pound telekinesis.
1. Longstrider: Your speed increases by 10 ft.
2. Gust of Wind: Blows away or knocks down smaller creatures.
3. Wind Wall: Deflects arrows, smaller creatures, and gases.
4. Silence*: Negates sound in 15-ft. radius by removing the air from the environment.
5. Control Winds: Change wind direction and speed.
6. Gale Shield**: Strong winds prevent creatures from approaching you, deflects arrows, and filters gases.
7. Control Weather***: Changes weather in local area.
8. Whirlwind: Cyclone deals damage and can pick up creatures.
9. Vacuum*: Pulls in all creatures within range.
- Removes all Air from area, areas without air are also silent.
- Combination of Repulsion and Gust of Wind.
- Can be changed to Tornado or Hurricane-force winds.
Granted Power: +2 CON, +2 Natural AC, 5 ft. Burrow speed as long as the Toa has Power Points remaining.
Earth Domain Spells
0. Resistance: Subject gains +1 on saving throws.
1. Earthskin*: Ignore 5 points of damage per attack.
2. Soften or Harden Earth: Turns stone to clay or dirt to sand or mud; or turns clay to stone or mud or sand to dirt.
3. Earthquake: Intense tremor shakes 5-ft./level radius.
4. Unstable Ground: Ground shifts, causing difficult terrain within 5-ft./level radius.
5. Wall of Earth**: Creates an earth wall that can be shaped.
6. Move Earth: Digs trenches and builds hills.
7. Earthwave***: Creates a wall of earth that pushes creatures away.
8. Repel Stone: Pushes away stone.
9. Imprisonment: Entombs subject beneath the earth.
- Modified Stoneskin.
- Modified Wall of Stone.
- Modified Bigby’s Forceful Hand.
Granted Power: Smite Darkness, My Light as long as the Toa has Power Points remaining.
0. Dancing Lights: Up to 4 balls of light that cast light as lanterns or torches.
1. Control Light: Increase or Decrease ambient light.
2. Daylight: You shed light as bright and full as daylight for 60 ft.
3. Invisibility Purge: Anything invisible becomes visible while within 5 ft. of you.
4. Invisibility: You and your equipment become invisible.
5. ?: ?
6. ?: ?
7. Cleansing Ray: Blinds and deals 4d6 points of damage (Reflex 1/2). Creatures to which sunlight is harmful or unnatural take double damage. Creatures with the Darkness subtype take 1d6 damage per CL instead (max 20d6), and must make a Fort save (DC 10 + CL) to resist being rid of their darkness or destroyed if they are naturally dark.
- Modified Sunbeam.
8. ?: ?
9. ?: ?
"The Green" (Plantlife) Domain
Granted Power: +8 Knowledge (nature), Poison and Delay Poison as long as the Toa has Power Points remaining.
Plantlife Domain Spells
0. Sew Seed: Throw seeds at ground, creating 1d4 diminutive plant sprouts.
1. Entangle: Plants entangle everyone in 40-ft.-radius.
2. Spike Growth:
3. Control Plant Growth: Grows vegetation and improves crops; or reduces size or blights growth of normal plants.
4. Neutralize Poison:
5. Wall of Thorns: Thorns damage anyone who tries to pass.
6. Repel Wood: Pushes away wooden objects. 7
7. Animate Plants: One or more trees animate and fight for you.
8. Horrid Wilting: Deals 1d6/level damage to plants within 30 ft.
9. Transport via Plants: Move instantly from one plant to another of the same kind.