The Void (5e Environment)
From D&D Wiki
|“||Imagine a place– well, more of a thing, really– where there exists nothing except for the potential of something. A place outside of the bind of space, time, death, gravity, logic, and light. A place overflowing with its own potential. That's The Void. That's where I'm from. And soon, that's where you'll be going.||”|
|—Kurma The World-Bearer, Telling Ea the Hybrid about The Void|
The Void is many pitches darker than absolute black, an endless abyss devoid of anything but full of the potential of creation. Many people have claimed to hear whispers and see movement throughout it, echoes from other worlds starting and ending and shifting in infinite ways. The only place with any substance is the ancient vestige known as Kurma, a gargantuan iridescent grey sea turtle with 13 separate biomes on his back. Going from front to back; there is a savanna, prairie, marsh, and group of plateaus on the left, a swamp, oak forest, taiga forest, and jungle on the right, and a desert, sea, cherry forest, mountain cluster, and tundra in the middle. There is also a large hexagonal castle on his head, with 6 towers to house his most trusted disciples and some of their followers, as well as an orchard frequented by The Host.
- The only way to travel anywhere in The Void is by flying, as there is no ground. You must also know where you are going, otherwise, you'll never find anything. This means that if you know who or what you're looking for and they're in the The Void, you can find them with just a short flight.
- Creatures whose species or race aren't native to The Void and haven't been The Void before themselves will need to succeed a DC 25 Wisdom saving throw or take 5d20 psychic damage, ignoring any resistances or immunities.
- Intelligent creatures can exit The Void at any time, however, no matter how long they stay in The Void, they will always exit to the moment they entered. This can only be circumvented if one of the The Vestiges of The Void or one of Kurma's Disciples create the exit.
Kurma is a god-like entity that rules over The Void, but also has a passion for knowledge, creation, and destruction. His power comes from his intimate connection to and control over The Void, which also allows him to access all dimensions at any point in their many timelines. It is theorized that there may be more like him, or possibly more versions of him, but since they would have their own voids, history, and followers, the only person who could know would be him, or possibly The Host. He is master of The Host, and has also met and grown fond of (sometimes befriended) many neutral-aligned vestiges, such as Void, Verminoth, and Adoeak. He is also kind towards lawful vestiges but dismissive of ones with more chaotic or evil tendencies.
Mikhail is an angelic entity that resides in The Void, with an insatiable appetite for destruction. His power comes from his intimate connection to Kurma and mastery of The Void, allowing him to access all dimensions at any point in their many timelines. He is a patient force of nature, capable of sweeping away cities in a single night, but willing to corrode them to self-destruction over centuries. Mikhail is part of The Greater Host, and leads his own sect of the Lesser Host, known as The Dirae. Due to his nature, it is not often that he is given assignments by Kurma, and even the Dirae aren't usually taken to other planes, except to pass judgment.
Brielle is an angelic entity that resides in The Void, with an intense passion for creation. Her power comes from her intimate connection to Kurma and mastery of The Void, allowing her to access all dimensions at any point in their many timelines. She is a patient force of nature, capable of raising cities in a single night and willing to build them brick by brick over centuries. Brielle is part of The Greater Host, and leads her own sect of the Lesser Host, known as The Riphts. She is occasionally given assignments by Kurma, but she is more likely to go around making random things or creatures.
Azrael is an angelic entity that resides in The Void, burdened with infinite knowledge. Its power comes from her intimate connection to Kurma and mastery of The Void, allowing it to access all dimensions at any point in their many timelines. It knows all. It hears all. It is watching. Azrael is part of The Greater Host and leads its own sect of the Lesser Host, known as The Echoes. It is often given messaging assignments by Kurma.
The Disciples of Kurma
- Ea the Hybrid
- Savana the Reaper
- Chairon the Wise
- Tor the Divine
- Nebiru the Forsaken
- Ego the Rabid
Prominent Collected Souls
- Deahkcarc of Santa Barbara
- Gehenna The Black
- Foreclaimer Hybrids. Foreclaimer Hyrbids are a mix between Foreclaimers and another race, using Void-charged crystals for power themselves.
- The Lesser Host. The group of related races that serve The Vestiges of The Void.
- The Dirae. The Dirae are a warrior swarm, designed to raze and kill all in their path. They are also are the followers of Mikhail, created by Savana the Reaper to serve him and act as his messengers and envoys of destruction.
- The Riphts. The Riphts are artists and free spirits, driven by the urge to create. They are also are the followers of Brielle the Divine, created by Tor the Divine to serve her and act as her messengers and envoys of creation.
- The Echoes. The Echoes are the shadows in the dark, listening to secrets and whispering hidden truths. They are also are the followers of Azrael the Whisperer, created by Chairon the Wise to serve it and act as its messengers, spies, and envoys of prophecy.
- By definition, players with the Of The Void background are immune to this effect.
- In a meta sense, this essentially means that he, and anything he controls, can realistically be put into any campaign at any time/time period.
- In a meta sense, this is how he could be in separate campaigns with separate histories, independent of one another.