Talk:Animated Sword (5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
Discussions of a stupid sword.
Unarmed Attack, Ranged Weapons, and Grappling
- Should the wording of You're a Sword, be changed so that it wouldn't stack with features like a monk's martial arts?
- I made this with melee weapons in mind, but didn't explicity exlude ranged weapons so there are likely problems there.
- What happens when people try and grapple you and use you as a sword?
- "You're a
SwordWeapon" might work better if it specifies the exact kind of weapon you are. E.g., if you're a longsword you can attack with yourselfmake a longsword attack with proficiency.
- Ammunition, mainly. It seems difficult to load arrows into yourself if you don't really have any hands.
- I'd guess grapple checks as normal, and they use you as an improvised weapon.
- "You're a
- - Guy 08:10, 16 September 2018 (MDT)
- I imagine even if the sword is being held, it's still trying to move or swing about with whatever telekinetic force animates it. If it swing and wriggled hard enough, it could reasonably attack the person "wielding" it. I think it's fine as it is, but if the attacks should be significantly harder, maybe a feature could apply like "anytime you are grappled by a creature of your size or larger, you are also restrained." Just a thought. - Guy 07:26, 17 September 2018 (MDT)
- I feel like there's at least one homebrew spell which allows something like a telekinetic extra arm. Something like that could help alleviate the difficulty with carrying things or manipulating objects (but trying to open a door by stabbing it is an amusing thought, so maybe that difficulty doesn't need to be alleviated). - Guy 08:10, 16 September 2018 (MDT)
- If you're a literal weapon, wouldn't you be of Small size? If not Tiny?
- If you don't have hands, can you cast spells with somatic components? Can you wield other weapons or does weapon proficiency not really mean anything for you?
- The heavy subrace implies weapons with the heavy property, but battleaxes aren't heavy. Maybe greataxes? There's also the possibility of reach weapons like halberds.
- Guy 08:10, 16 September 2018 (MDT)
- I changed light weapons to tiny, and heavy weapons in my mind are more medium considering some of them are pretty large, 5+ feet in length.
- As is right now, they would be unable to. Something that allows them to either use somatic components, or ignore them entirely would likely be necessary.
- That is a mistake on my part. I blame making this at midnight.
- --ADragon (talk) 16:32, 16 September 2018 (MDT)
Light weapons deal a maximum of 1d6 damage, medium 1d10 and heavy 2d6. So should heavy not have any bonus because they can also deal 1d10 with reach except maybe that small creatures that wield you don't have disadvantage. Light weapons bonus of +5ft speed is pretty good but mediums extra HP doesn't really suit it but I don't have a better suggestion. As for somatic just say that they move their whole body for it because they have no hands. And why is the needsbalence template still up? It looks like it has been fixed. Babosa (talk) 23:42, 18 October 2018 (MDT)
Shouldn't it be called animated weapon, due to them not all being swords?