Storm Emperor (3.5e Class)
From D&D Wiki
- 1 Storm Emperor
- 1.1 Making a Storm Emperor
- 1.2 Campaign Information
Meant as manner of specialized hybrid swordsman/caster the Storm Emperor can make use of traditional magics to a degree but their full potential lies in their use of the elements of the storm.
Making a Storm Emperor
Makes use of several storm themed abilities.
Abilities: Strength and Intelligence for the most part.
Races: Humans and any races that have connections to the main elements of the class.
Alignment: Any Chaotic.
Starting Gold: 3d6×10 gp (105 gp).
Starting Age: Complex
|Saving Throws||Special||Spells per Day||Power|
|7th||+7/+2||+2||+5||+5||Knowledge is Strength||6||6||6||4||—||—||—||—||—||—||37|
|10th||+10/+5||+3||+7||+7||Knowledge is Power||6||6||6||6||5||3||—||—||—||—||81|
|11th||+11/+6/+1||+3||+7||+7||Conductive Weapon Lvl 2||6||6||6||6||6||4||—||—||—||—||97|
Class Skills (4 + Int modifier per level, ×4 at 1st level)
Meant as the mid-fielder of the party, a Storm Emperor brings forth the power of the storm to aid allies and hassle enemies
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: The Storm Emperor is proficient with Simple and Martial Weapons and proficient with light and medium armor.
Spells: The Storm Emperor casts based of their intelligence but gain their spells akin to a sorcerer therefore they are only allowed to change one spell every even level starting at level 4. This class uses spells based off either spell points or spells per day, not both. Additionally this class may only learn spells beyond level 6 is they have the lightning, cold, water, sonic and air descriptor. This class draws its spells from sorcerer/wizard spell list
Conductive Weapon (Sp): A storm emperor can imbue spells with the lightning, sonic, cold, wind, water descriptor into weapons that they are proficient with. The spell is stored as a charge into the weapon, charges may be stored outside of combat, should a charge attempt to be stored during combat it will take a full round action. The Storm Emperor may use this charge on any successful melee attack, with half of the spell's maximum damage dice being added to the weapons damage. Any area of effect spells used as a charge will be relegated to single target effects should they be used in such a way. Only spells with a casting time less than a full round action may be stored. One charge may be stored.
Elemental Blades (Su): This class is capable to imbue their weapon with different elemental effects to suit the combat scenario, you may choose to add these abilities when declaring an attack, so should the attack miss the ability does not take effect, only 1 effect may be present at a time :
• Lightning- By sacrificing spells or spell points the Storm Emperor may charge their blade with lightning. On a declared attack, this adds 1d4 lightning damage per level of your highest level spell slot.
• Wind- A torrent of wind encircles your weapon and upon making a successful attack roll on an opponent, any adjacent enemies also take and additional 1d8 slashing damage
• Ice- The storm emperor forms a sheet of ice around their blade, when a attack is successful the cold blade chills an enemies armor, reducing their AC by 4
• Force- A thundering force emanates from your weapon, when a successful attack is made the enemy struck must make a fortitude save to avoid being knocked prone. The save DC is (10 + Int Mod+ Class Lvl)
Elemental Armors (Sp): The Storm Emperor may grant themselves a suit of armor granting them a variety of bonuses, only 1 ability may be active at a time, these effects are only present during combat, it takes a standard action to change these abilities during combat:
• Lightning Armor- The emperor encases himself in a coat of lightning and should any enemy successfully hit with a melee attack or grapples you they suffer 2d6 lightning damage. This may only trigger once per round per opponent
• Ice Armor- A sheet of ice that adds +4 AC, this also freezes 10 foot area around you turning the area into treacherous terrain.
• Wind Armor- A swirling gust of wind surrounds you adding a +3 AC against ranged attacks
• Water armor- A bubble of water encases you, granting no AC bonus but will apply a regenerating 3 hp/ turn, only during combat
Elemental Wrath (Ex): The Storm Emperor draws upon raw elemental power and unleashes them to the benefit of his allies and the detriment of his enemies. These abilities are available for use 3/times per day (ex. if you use War Cry 3 times in one day you have to wait until the next day to use any others)
• Wind Trap- The Storm Emperor creates pockets of wind that surround enemies within 60 ft of them and throw them in various directions doing 4d8 bludgeoning damage upon impact. The number of enemies that are allowed to be picked up is equal to your caster level. Each enemy is allowed to make a reflex save to avoid being caught in the trap, the DC for the save is (10+ Int Mod). Enemies above large size cannot be picked up by this ability.
• Refreshing Waves- Healing water rains down upon targets the Storm Emperor designates and heals 10 hp per caster level
• War Cry- The Storm Emperor lets out a bellowing shout that grants +4 to ability scores to their teammates for 4 rounds
• Storm Call- This attack calls down bolts of lightning to enemies within 60ft of the Storm Emperor, each bolts deals 1d8 damage per caster level. Each enemy targeted is entitled to a reflex save of (DC 10+ Int Mod+ half class level) for half damage.
Knowledge is Strength (Sp): Once obtaining this ability the Storm Emperor may add their intelligence modifier to their accuracy and damage rolls
Knowledge is Power (Ex): Your training in the elements of the storm has led to a great discovery and as such your spells are strengthen by your Intelligence. The Storm Emperor may now add their Int Modifier to the damage of any spell carrying the Water, Cold, Wind, Sonic or Lightning Descriptor.
Conductive Weapon Lvl 2 (Sp): The number of charges able to be held in a weapon has been increased by 1. Additionally a charge may also be stored in an allies' weapon. Only 1 charge may be discharged in a single attack action or full attack.
Empowered Blades (Su):
• Lightning Blade- damage die increased to 1d6
• Wind Blade- the winds have a chance to rattle your opponent, they must make a DC 20 Fortitude save to avoid being knocked prone and stunned for 1d3 rounds
• Frozen Blade- now adds your weapons damage as ice damage
Empowered Armor (Su):
• Lightning Armor- now any non-magic attacks are met with 3d6 lightning damage
• Ice Armor- The range of the field of cold can now be extended up to a maximum range of 20ft and may be shortened to 5ft
• Wind Armor- there is now a 1d2 chance to reflect ranged attacks at the attacker
• Water armor hp per turn is increased to 5/turn
Storm Legion (Sp): As a standard action the storm emperor extends their powers to their allies, all allies within 60ft may now draw upon the storm emperor's armor and blade abilities to use as their own. Once the ability is cast each character may activate a single armor or blade ability for themselves, changing these abilities after the ability is cast will either require the ally or the storm emperor to spend a standard action to change it. These abilities are still drawn from the storm emperor's own spell point pool and keep the same restrictions per player. ie. multiple armors and blades may not be present on the same ally. This ability may be dismissed as a free action. After which it may not be recast again for 1d6 rounds
<-Should the storm Emperor stray from their chaotic nature, they lose their powers and most make a trip towards the nearest storm the reconnect with the powers.>.
Epic Storm Emperor
<-number of skill points-> + Int modifier skill points per level.
<-existing class feature->: <-how this class feature increases or accumulates at epic levels->
<-another existing class feature->: <-how this class feature increases or accumulates at epic levels->
Bonus Feats: The epic Storm Emperor gains a bonus feat (selected from the list of epic <Fighter and Sorcerer> bonus feats) every 4 levels after 20th.
Epic Storm Emperor Bonus Feat List: <-list of bonus epic feats->.
<-Sample race of your choice-> Storm Emperor Starting Package
Weapons: <-Weapon selection for starting at 1st level with this class.->.
Skill Selection: Pick a number of skills equal to 4 + Int modifier.
|<-Skill name->||<-4 for class skills and 2 for cross-class skills->||<-Abbreviated key ability->||<-armor check penalty based on starting armor. If inapplicable put "—"->|
|<-Skill name->||<-4 for class skills and 2 for cross-class skills->||<-Abbreviated key ability->||<-armor check penalty based on starting armor. If inapplicable put "—"->
<-copy and paste the rows as necessary.->
Feat: <-1st-level feat selection->.
Bonus Feats: <-1st-level feat bonus feats due to class or sample race. remove this section if this sample doesn't get any bonus feats at 1st level. ->.
Gear: <-Starting armor and other equipment outside of weapons.->.
Gold: <-Starting gold using this package.->.
Playing a Storm Emperor
Religion: If they decide to serve any gods at all they serve chaotic gods
Other Classes: Easily gets along with any naturally chaotic classes, finds uneven ground among lawful classes.
Combat: Close and long range are both possible, best served as mid-range to shore up any holes in the party .
Storm Emperors in the World
|“||<-Some quote from a character of this class->||”|
|—<-NPC name->, <-race-> <-class->|
<-Where characters of this class fit in a d20 world.->
Daily Life: <-day in the life of a character of this class->.
Notables: <-notable NPCs of this class->.
Organizations: <-info on what, where, when, and how characters of this class congregate and assemble->.
NPC Reactions: <-How NPCs react to PCs of this class->.
Storm Emperor Lore
Characters with ranks in Knowledge (Arcana, Nature) can research Storm Emperors to learn more about them. When a character makes a skill check, read or paraphrase the following, including information from lower DCs.
|10||Not known to follow gods.|
|15||Their weapons are imbued with elements.|
|20||Can share their power with other beings.|
<Storm Emperors in the Game
<-How characters of this class fit in the game (PC and NPC) and what roles they play.->
Adaptation: <-Possible variant conceptions of this class.->.
Sample Encounter: <-DM placement for NPCs of this class.->.
EL : <-Encounter scenario and character info on sample NPC including stat block. The CR of the NPC is typically the same as the EL for the encounter.->.