Shard of the Abyss (3.5e Equipment)
From D&D Wiki
Shard of the Abyss: The weapon appears, at first glance, to be a medium-sized, plain, black dagger that shows no reflections. Casting detect magic upon it will provide nothing, the spell will be absorbed by the blade and give no response. Attempting to communicate with it psionically will reveal it to be an uncaring void, devoid of emotion, or thought, but not mindless.
This blade was never 'forged', rather, it's a remnant of the universe before it existed, a shard of nothing that consumes all it touches. The shard was contained by a very powerful person but how, why, and for what purpose is unknown.
- While in the hands of a sentient being, the weapon ignores hardness and damage resistance. While in the hands of an automaton, the weapon is a normal blade.
- If the blade is used in an attack by a person capable of casting magic, it will remove one of the highest level available spells slots, chosen at random, or one spell per day of the highest level available. The attack will gain xd6 damage where x is the level of the spell slot lost, and the blade will leave a blue streak in its' wake. The spell slot will recover at end of day.
- If the blade is used in an attack by a person who is capable of casting divine magic, it will remove one spell slot/spell per day chosen at random of the highest level available. The attack will gain xd4 damage where x is the level of the spell slot lost, and the blade will leave a green streak in its' wake. The damage dealt with these dice will be transferred to the HP of the wielder of the blade.
- If used in an attack by a person who is capable of using psionics, it will remove a random number of psypoints (rolled as a percentage rounded up). The attack will gain damage equal to 2 times the number of psypoints lost, and leave a blue streak in its' wake.
- If none of those above conditions are met, the streak will be black. If more then one are met, the streak will have multiple, pure colors
- If you are of chaotic or neutral alignment, the blade will temporarily reduced the your Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma by 1. Your critical strike multiplier becomes 3x.
- If you are of good or neutral alignment, on a hit the blade will temporarily drain HP 1 from the target to you. The target must make a DC 10 + your level Constitution saving throw or be rendered unconscious.
- If you are of lawful or neutral alignment, the blade will temporarily reduce each skill by 1 point, and give you +5 bonus to all hit rolls.
- If you are of evil or neutral alignment, the blade will temporarily reduce your Constitution, Dexterity and Strength by 1. The critical strike range becomes 17-20.
All temporary damage & level drains incurred will recover at end of day, or after completing a long rest.
If used in an attack against the same target more then twice, on the third strike against that target, the attacker will lose 1d4 HP, and one point from each ability permanently. These strikes do not need to be consecutive.
If used more then three times in one day, without rest, you will suffer the permanent loss of one point from each ability, and two points of health.
You can throw the weapon, however, there is a 5% chance of failure to recover it. While searching for it you have a 20% chance of recovery per hour spent looking.
CL <!-Caster level for creation-->;