Rokurokubi (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
A Rokurokubi is a beast of Japanese mythology. They were often cursed women who had defied the Buddha in some way. Often after they became cursed they would go into a state of fury and become the evil that is inside of them, preying on the weak and lonely, or blending in with travelers and murdering them one by one. However this is not the case for all Rokurokubi. A few were male and not all of them tuned into pure evil. A lot of Rokurokubi actually retained their normal nature and desperately tried to fit into normal society. This is the race version of the template that was created.
Rokurokubi are known for their tendencies to excess. They indulge in everything they can to make their existence more pleasurable. Everything they do tends to be in an endeavor to heighten the pleasure of existence for themselves, whether it is eating their favorite foods, making themselves look more beautiful or taking part in their favorite activities. Many rokurokubi are unable to keep secrets, and so they feel they must reveal their true nature from time to time. Usually they will reveal their snakelike neck to people who are drunk or asleep, or if they are more malicious taking out their hatred on unknowing travelers. Some people do not live as rokurokubi and may not even know that they are one. These people extend their necks in their sleep, while their heads will go around exploring. They wake up to remember their dream of looking around the area in ways they never had before.
A rokurokubi often goes on an adventure to make up for the bad deeds they committed in life or in search for a way to improve themselves.
Rokurokubi look identical to humans. However they are nearly always wild-eyed, tense and nervous. Another trait that is common among rokurokubi is having their teeth sharpened to points. This is so they can dig their teeth around prey and then coil round them with their long necks, crushing or subduing them shortly after.
Rokurokubi integrate into society perfectly however they tends to be outcast once their rather unique traits have been revealed. Rokurokubi often go to great lengths to avoid showing their true selves relying on hiding, disguise and bluffing to keep their identities secret. Due to this constant effort they are naturally more aware of others emotions.
When first cursed the subject has always disobeyed some great law of the land. However the curse has a huge impact on the person’s mental state.
- 50% of the time the subject becomes hateful, resentful and purely evil. This due to their denial about actually committing the crime and hating the world for their curse. These rokurokubi prey on the weak and lonely and often eat the flesh of fellow humanoids. (Chaotic/Evil)
- 30% of them remain their true selves but have a bitter hatred for the world and everything that exists in it. (? /Evil)
- 15% actually are enlightened by the experience and become dedicated to following the right path and will always help others making up for their sins. (Lawful/Good}
- 3% go insane, 50% of these committing suicide soon after if this is prevented they remain broken people
- Often if a person is lawful when they are cursed and becomes a rokurokubi the 50% and 15% results switch places.
- Type: Humanoid (Human)
- Stat Bonuses: +2 Intelligence, +2 Charisma. Rokurokubi have often learned from their experience and go to great lengths to improve themselves in terms of physical appearance. This is to make them feel better but also to disguise their true identity.
- Extra feat and skill points like a normal human
- +8 bonus to bluff checks due to the great lengths rokurokubi goes to, to disguise their true appearance.
- +2 bonus to Hide, sense motive and disguise checks due to their need to hide their identities and befriend people for good or bad reasons.
- -10 to handle animal checks, animals sense the curse and are very untrustworthy
- Gain a natural Bite attack 1d4 damage (for a medium creature)
- Neck Extension (Ex): The cursed creature gains the ability to stretch their neck up to 20ft, however if an opponent attempts to attack it the rokurokubi loses all armor bonuses to Armor Class but gains a +2 to it, due to the heads size.
- Improved Grab(Ex):To use this ability, the rokurokubi must hit with a bite attack. If it gets a hold it can constrict with its snakelike neck.
- Constrict(Ex):A rokurokubi deals 1d6+Str points of damage with a successful grapple check against creatures of its height and one size smaller. Whilst a rokurokubi is constricting it can use its weapon only to attack the opponent it has constricted.
- Nerves(Ex):When faced with a larger enemy than it or when enemies outnumber it, there is always a 20% chance that the rokurokubi will flee from combat.
- Automatic Languages: Common. Bonus: any
- Favored class: Any
- +1 Level Adjustment
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||' "||+||lb.||× () lb.|
|Female||' "||+||lb.||× () lb.|