North Shaman (3.5e Class)
From D&D Wiki
- 1 North Shaman
- 2 Spirit Guide
- 3 Totem Invocation
- 4 Animal Guide Umbra
- 5 SHAMAN SPELLS
- 5.1 0-LEVEL SHAMAN SPELLS
- 5.2 1ST-LEVEL SHAMAN SPELLS
- 5.3 2ST-LEVEL SHAMAN SPELLS
- 5.4 3ST-LEVEL SHAMAN SPELLS
- 5.5 4ST-LEVEL SHAMAN SPELLS
- 5.6 5ST-LEVEL SHAMAN SPELLS
- 5.7 6ST-LEVEL SHAMAN SPELLS
- 5.8 7ST-LEVEL SHAMAN SPELLS
- 5.9 8ST-LEVEL SHAMAN SPELLS
- 5.10 9ST-LEVEL SHAMAN SPELLS
- 5.11 Epic Shaman Bonus Feat List
A North shaman is a person who interacts with both the normal world and the world of spirits, usually acting as a sort of intermediary between the two. They are common in many tribal cultures, although shamanism may also exist in other types of culture. This person is often responsible for both the physical and spiritual health of people, and he or she may also be called upon to invoke spirits for aid interpret omens.
Although most shamans are peaceful and sacred persons it doesn't mean they can't kill or fight, a shaman also knows that pain and suffering are sometimes needed for growing.
Every shaman has it's spirit guide to follow and help, at some point they all discover and learn to connect to the inner power of the spirit and it's true self.
A North shaman can never calls himself upon the tittle and can never loose humble attitude, the gift of helping people were gave to the shaman and can never be used with overly proud.
Making a North Shaman
Abilities: Wisdom are the most important attribute for North shamans as it's required for spell and most abilities, Charisma are very important too cause several abilities requires it. Dex can be of use since shamans frequently uses bows as weapon, the other abilities are second priority since North Shaman does not excels in direct combat and works as a support.
Races: Most likely races bound with nature or spirits. It's rare for a human and half elves to become north shamans, but they few numbers are among the very best of the class
Starting Gold: 4d4x5 GP + magic instrument
Starting Age: Complex
|Special||Spells per Day|
|1st||+0||+2||+0||+2||North music, nature sense, wild empathy||3||2||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|2nd||+1||+3||+0||+3||Shamanic Charisma, Song of Lazyness||4||3||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|3rd||+1||+3||+1||+3||Spirit Guide, Song of Euphoric||5||4||1||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|4th||+2||+4||+1||+4||Detect Spirit, Spirit Heal||5||5||2||—||—||—||—||— —||—||—|
|5th||+2||+4||+1||+4||Totem Invocation, Song of Storms||6||6||3||—||—||—||—||— —||—||—|
|8th||+4||+6||+2||+6||Song of Time, Song of Rivers||6||5||6||3||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|11th||+5||+7||+3||+7||Song of Spirits||6||6||6||6||3||—||—||—||—||—|
|13th||+6/+1||+8||+4||+8||Animal Guide Projection||6||6||6||6||5||2||—||—||—||—|
|15th||+7/+2||+9||+5||+9||Animal Guide Umbra||6||6||6||6||3||3||1||—||—||—|
Class Skills (6 + Int modifier per level, ×4 at 1st level)
Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (geography) (Int), Knowledge (history) (Int), Knowledge (local) (Int), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Listen (Wis), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), and Swim (Str).
All of the following are class features of the North Shaman.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A shaman is proficient with the club, dagger, longspear, quarterstaff, shortspear, spear, sling, shortbow, long bow and with light armor but no shields.
Wild Empathy: A shaman can improve the attitude of an animal. This ability functions just like a Diplomacy check made to improve the attitude of a person. The shaman rolls 1d20 and adds his shaman level and his Charisma modifier to determine the wild empathy check result.
North music: All shamans are magically attracted to all forms of music, at level 1 a North shaman must choose an instrument to magically master, all North shaman spells and "songs" are cast by the instrument (if for any reason the shaman cannot use it's instrument so the spells and all "songs" cannot be done). The Shaman instrument are sacred and cannot be used for perform, a NS that has interest in performing must buy or make another instrument for that purpose. Deaf people aren't immune to music since it affect the inner spirit. You can only use two ritual music per day. Ritual Songs cannot be used while in battle. Perform bonus + 2.
Shamanic Charisma: A level 2 Shaman has a connection with all spirits of creation, this connection allows him to better understand someone feeling or intentions. +2 bonus check Sense Motive/Diplomacy/Handle animal/
Song of Lazyness: Channels the inner spirit power to cause an aura of lazyness, every non-allie in the area (anyone that can hear the song) start to feel like sleeping. 1 minute music (A person can resist this magic with Will save, d20+ will/against d20 + char/wis + 1/2shaman level). 1 time per day.
Song of Euphoric: Channels the inner spirit power to cause an aura of euphoric, every non-allie in the are start to feel carefree (anyone that can hear the song), who is affected by the music start to make doubt decisions. 1 minute music (A person can resist this magic with Will save, d20+ will against d20 + char/wis + 1/2shaman level). 1 time per day.
Detect Spirit: at level 4 The shaman’s spirit guide perceives nearby spirits. At will, shaman can use detect spirits as a spell-like ability. It functions just like detect undead, except it detects creatures that are considered spirits.
Spirit Heal: A north Shaman with a Charisma score of 12 or higher can heal wounds (her own or those of others) by touch. Each day he can heal a total number of hit points of damage equal to her North Shaman level × his Charisma bonus. For example, a 7th-level North Shaman with a 16 Charisma (+3 bonus) can heal 21 points of damage per day. A Shaman may choose to divide his healing among multiple recipients, and he doesn’t have to use it all at once. Using Spirit Heal is a standard action.
Spirit Comprehension: at Level 6 The North shaman start to see and feel usuall spirit and phenomena in the area, he can use his Animal Spirit Guide to help the communication within the spirits.
Now he can roll check for detect unuusual feelings in the spirits in the area, he can detect the mass concentration of spirits and bad feelings.
Roll check -> d20+ Wis and char bonus
DC - 15 = feel that the spirits aren't calm
DC - 20 = warned by the spirits that the danger lies ahead
DC - 25 = ask the spirits what kind of danger lies ahead.
DC - 30 = ask for details about the danger ahead.
Song of Storms: The shaman channel his magic instrument to call upon the weather spirits, the entire region begins to rain, this ritual lasts 1 hour. This magic rain makes people more likely to be happy. 1 use per day.
Song of Time: Channel the power of time spirits with your magic instrument to slow time for some duration. The song takes 30 seconds to activate, every 30 seconds within the effects of the song are 30 minutes in real time (only the shaman can be affected by these magic), after the magic is over the North shaman must enter 30 minutes meditation/30 seconds spent in slow time in the same day (so is a risk to use that magic late at the day). If for any reason the meditation cannot be fullfill the North Shaman will enter a state of comatose for 30minutes/30 seconds spend in slow time the next day.
1 use per day.
Song of Rivers: Calls the noble spirits of rivers and oceans, 5 minute song that calm a raging river or ocean nearby
1 use per day.
Song of Spirits: Calls all the spirits within the area and weakens the limits beetween spiritual world and natural world.
10 minutes song, at the end all the spirits of the region will rise and help the North Shaman for 2 minutes. (the spirits cannot attack or kill, but can intimidate people or enemies in the region, look for information or take some objects and report back to the North Shaman). When the spirit arises the North Shaman must roll check (d20 + char + Wis + shamanic Charisma bonus). depending on the roll the results can be catastrophic.
The North Shaman can use his Spirit Comprehension feat to fell the state of the spirits in the area, the result defines the DC of the roll check for the Song of Spirits (DM decides the mood of the spirits).
1 use per week.
Animal Guide Projection: At level 13 the North Shaman can project 2 times per day 1hour/3levels duration his Animal Spirit Guide, this special feats function as a magic. The Spirit guide has the stats of the chosen spirit animal at the current Shaman level. The animal appears as a spectral appearance and the North Shaman has total control over it.
At level 2 a Shaman must engage a 2 hours ritual to discover the identity of its animal spirit guide. This connection influences the Shaman inspirations and moral guide. The chosen animal influencies nor only the abilities or bonus for the shaman but also the role playing characteristics, a Lion shaman for tends to behave like a gentle father for example.
Choose your animal guide from the following:
- SRD:Hawk Hawk Shamans inehirit the majesture and great sight of its animal. The Hawk guided like to observe and learn about the other creatures, it's majesture often leads to intervention and help.
- SRD:Ape Ape Shamans are free in everysingle way, it's difficult to predict what they're feeling or thinking. The Ape guided ineherit the great fortitude of its animal guide
- SRD:Black Bear Black Bear Shamans are the most lovely healers, they are drived by the will of helping and realing pain. The Bear guided ineherit the great Constitution of its animal guide
A Bear shaman gain + 5 bonus on all checks of SRD:Heal and + 3 on 0 Hp checks.
- SRD:Leopard Leopard Shamans are majestic hunters, it's animal guide inspires him to applicate intervention on everything that isn't on the spiritual course. A leopard guided ineherit the great speed of its animal guide.
A Leopard shaman gain - 5 distance penalty in bow attack rolls and 10 ft movement bonus/4 levels
- SRD:Lion The animal king, the most formidable and intimidating of the animal guides. The Lion are majestic, intimidating but also careful with its companions. A lion guided ineherit the strong pressence of its animal guide.
- SRD:Raven The mostly wisely and knowledgefull of the animal guides, The Raven guided also have some kind of terrifying aura that cause fear around him. A Raven guided ineherit the great knowledge and aura of its animal guide
A Raven shaman gain + 3 on SRD:Knowledge (choose just one for the bonus), and 1time per day/3 levels terrifying presence DC(d20 + intimidate) (creatures 20 ft radius from the shaman must check d20 + will, if the creature fails it must repeat the test everyturn until success for a max of 4 turns).
- SRD:Wolf The most noble and handsome animal guides, The Wolf guided have an majestic aura that influences everyone around it, it's easy to be fascineted with it. A Wolf guided ineherit the great nobleness of its animal guide
A Wolf shaman gain + 2 on Charisma checks and an aura of encouragement, 1 time per day/5levels + 2 bonus attack on every allie but the shaman for 4 turns (this bonus stacks with any other).
Affinity: At level 7 the shaman gains + 2 bonus on SRD:Handle Animal to capture and train animals that look like it's chosen animal (a dire wolf for example) the DM decides the DC.
at level 5 the North shaman begins to understand and connect even deeper with the spirit world, as his powers grow he discover how to invoke his totems to aid in battle and magic.
The totem invocation function as a focus magic and need a full action round to be made, the totem duration are 4 turns/5level and can be activated 1 time per day/3 levels, as long as the totem is active the Shaman cannot make any other spells from its spell list (this doesn't hinder the shaman from doing any of his special feats, the meditation at night to choose spells are interrupted for any reason the shaman cannot invoke the totems as well). (The totem follows the shaman as a spectral apparition and cannot be used outside battle)
A shaman must choose everynight wich Totem he'll use for the next day from the following, choosing one of each totem effects costs one standart action.
- Earth Totem: The earth totem enpower the North shaman connection within the inanimate spirits (stone spirits, earth spirits...), this ancient spirits offer calmness and fortitude.
At level 5 -> Earth vitality, 1 health point regeneration per turn to all allies within 20fts but the shaman.
At level 10 -> Earth resilience, + 2/5level bonus on resist fear checks
At level 15 -> Earth majestic, + 1/5level temporary Constitution to all allies within 20fts but the shaman.
At level 20 -> Earth presence, + 2/5level temporary Strength bonus to all allies within 30fts but the shaman.
(each new effect uses the old one too, if u use level 20 effect, 15, 10 and 5 will be added to the effect, if the shaman choose earth totem during the night, all allies have + 1 climb bonus during the rest of the day outside battle).
- Fire totem: The fire totem enpower the wild spirit of the North shaman, the fire spirits are always volatile and relentless, this ancient spirits offer rampage.
At level 5 -> Fire spirits, target 1d4+1 damage per/2level, can be used 1 time per totem activation/3 levels, 50 ft range. (15% fail risk, if an allie is near the target he must reflex check 18DC)
At level 10-> Fire spirits mass, 1d4+1 damage per/4level, can be used 1 time per totem activation/4 levels, 50 ft range, same as before but 20 ft radius.
At level 15-> Fire spirit rage, invoke 1/5levels fire spawn that attacks the enemies 1d4+1/5levels and lasts the totem duration. can be used 1time per/10 levels.
At level 20-> Fire spirits Wrath, invoke a spirit of fire, deals 4d10+ 2 damage, lasts 2 turns and vanish.
(if one effect is chosen during combat the others cannot be chose during this combat, all effects do fire damage, if the shaman choose the fire totem during the night all alies have + 1 sense motive bonus outside battle).
- Water totem: The water totem deeps the bound beetween the nobles spirits of the water, this ancient spirits often offer great understanding and peace.
At level 5 -> Water enchanting, summons the spirits of water to clear the souls of allies, for the totem activate duration every allie has + 5 resistance to disease application and poison.
At level 10-> Water chant, a song of plenitude, every allie feels the peace presence of the water spirits. Every condition penalty are clear (if an allie is drunk, dizzy, distracted, tired or something like that)
At level 15-> Waterfall, The noble spirits of water deeps the connection within the persons around the shaman (20 ft from the shaman), if two allies are side by side they both receive + 1AC/3levels during the totem activation.
At level 20-> Water Flow, The connection deeps even more, allies side by side (30 ft from the shaman) has each + 2 BAB/4 levels and 10%chance of triggering an opportunity attack after the allie attack while totem activation (if he meet the distance requisites of course)
(you must choose only two effects for the totem activation per battle, if the shaman has choose the water totem all allies have + 1 resistance against bluff, diplomacy, intimidate outside battle).
- Wind totem: The wind totem free the soul of the ones who feel it's power, this ancient spirits offer free from any shackles that hinder the allies.
At level 5 -> Wind running, every allie (and self) can move 1 bonus square/4level for the totem duration.
At level 10-> Free soul, every allie (but the shaman) has +1/3levels resistance bonus against graple
At level 15-> Wind expulsion, 1d6/5levels damage and pulls target 3 squares back, if there is another enemy or allie in the collision rout they are knocked prone. (enemy can roll check for resistance, DC18). 1 time per totem activation
At level 20-> Hurricane might, knock back every enemy within 50radius and 50 ft distance 5 squares back. 1 time per totem activation
(level 5 and 10 effects are manteined upon totem invoking till level 15 or 20 are chosen, if the shaman has choose wind totem last night, all allies have + 3 ft per 1/2shaman level bonus on run or walk outside battle).
- All allies have to be near shaman perception area to gain the outside battle bonus
Animal Guide Umbra
At level 15 the North Shaman can umbra itself with the appearance of the chosen animal. while in this form the North Shaman has all feats and skill of the chosen animal (swin, fly, ...)
The North Shaman cannot use any other Special feats or spells while in the umbra, the bonus are only available while in the umbra, a full action is required to enter the umbra or 20 minutes.
This skills Scalate trough the levels until level 20.
- At level 15 -> 3 times per day, 2 hours duration(or desactivate), 2d6+2 magic damage. +2 CA, + 10 HP
- At level 16 -> 3 times per day, 2 hours duration, 2d6+3 magic damage. +2 CA, + 15 HP
- At level 17 -> 3 times per day, 3 hours duration, 2d6+4 magic damage. +2 CA, + 15 HP
- At level 18 -> 4 times per day, 3 hours duration, 2d6+4 magic damage. Can use any other North Shaman special feat while in umbra. +2 CA, + 20 HP
- At level 19 -> 5 times per day, 3 hours duration, 2d6+4 magic damage. Can use magic while in umbra. +3 CA, + 30 HP
- At level 20 -> enter umbra as a standart action, 5 times per day, 4 hours duration, 3d6+4 magic damage. Can use power totems while in umbra (full action to enter umbra and activate totem). Huge size. +4 CA, + 40HP
- The umbra BAB are +15/+12/+6/+1
Spells: Like a sorcerer, a shaman knows only a small number of spells. However, each day a North shaman may change the spells he knows. When a shaman meditates to regain her daily allotment of spells, he sends forth his spirit guide to bargain with the spirits and retrieve knowledge of the specific spells he will be able to use that day. To retrieve or cast a spell, a shaman must have a Wisdom score of at least 10 + the spell level (Wisdom 10 for 0-level spells, Wisdom 11 for 1st-level spells, and so on). The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a spirit shaman’s spell is 10 + the spell level + the North Shaman’s Charisma modifier.
0-LEVEL SHAMAN SPELLS
- Summon Instrument: summon instrument of caster choice
- Read magic: Read scrolls or spellbooks
- Light bugs: Create little bugs that illuminate the area
- Ghost sounds: make your voice sound like a ghost, animal (...)
- Cure Minor Wounds: Cures 1 point of damage.
- Detect Poison: Detects poison in one creature or object.
- Purify Food and Drink: Purifies 1 cu. ft./level of food or water.
- Create Water: Creates 2 gallons/level of pure water.
1ST-LEVEL SHAMAN SPELLS
- Charm person: Makes one person more likely to be your friend
- Spirit Languages: you understand all spoken languages for 30 minutes
- Cure light wounds: 1d8 damage + 1/level (max + 5)
- Disguise self: change appearance for 1 hour
- Remove Fear: Suppresses fear or gives +4 on saves against fear for
one subject + one per four levels.
- Calm Animals: Calms (2d4 + level) HD of animals.
- Charm Animal: Makes one animal your friend.
2ST-LEVEL SHAMAN SPELLS
- Cure moderate wounds: Cure Moderate Wounds: Cures 2d8 damage +1/level (max +10).
- Delay Poison: Stops poison from harming subject for 1 hour/ level.
- Detect Thoughts: Allows “listening” to surface thoughts.
- Eagle’s Splendor: Subject gains +4 to Cha for 1 min./level.
- Cat’s Grace: Subject gains +4 to Dex for 1 min./level.
- Fox’s Cunning: Subject gains +4 to Int for 1 min./level.
- Bull’s Strength: Subject gains +4 to Str for 1 min./level.
- Owl’s Wisdom: Subject gains +4 to Wis for 1 min./level.
- Silence: Negates sound in 15-ft. radius.
- Tongues: Speak any language for 30 minutes.
- Whispering Wind: Sends a short message 1 mile/level.
3ST-LEVEL SHAMAN SPELLS
- Charm Monster: Makes monster believe it is your ally.
- Cure Serious Wounds: Cures 3d8 damage +1/level (max +15).
- See Invisibility: Reveals invisible creatures or objects.
- Speak with Animals: You can communicate with animals.
- SRD:Blindness/Deafness: Makes subject blinded or deafened.
- SRD:Create Food and Water: Feeds three humans (or one horse)/level.
- SRD:Helping Hand: Ghostly hand leads subject to you.
- SRD:Magic Circle against Chaos: As protection spells, but 10-ft. radius and 10 min./level.
- SRD:Magic Circle against Evil: As protection spells, but 10-ft. radius and 10 min./level.
- SRD:Magic Circle against Good: As protection spells, but 10-ft. radius and 10 min./level.
- SRD:Magic Circle against Law: As protection spells, but 10-ft. radius and 10 min./level.
4ST-LEVEL SHAMAN SPELLS
- Break Enchantment: Frees subjects from enchantments, alterations, curses, and petrification.
- Cure Critical Wounds: Cures 4d8 damage +1/level (max +20).
- Spirit domination: Controls humanoid telepathically. (1 hour will check)
- Modify Memory: Changes 5 minutes of subject’s memories.
- Neutralize Poison: Immunizes subject against poison, detoxifies
venom in or on subject.
- Shout: Deafens all within cone and deals 4d6 sonic damage.
- Zone of Silence: Keeps eavesdroppers from overhearing conversations.
- Summon Nature’s Ally IV: Calls creature to fight.
- SRD:Freedom of Movement: Subject moves normally despite impediments.
5ST-LEVEL SHAMAN SPELLS
- Cure Light Wounds, Mass: Cures 1d8 damage +1/level for many
- Flame Strike: Smite foes with divine fire (1d6/level damage).
- SRD:Permanency: Makes certain other spells permanent.
- SRD:Psychic Turmoil: Invisible field leeches psionic power points away.
- SRD:Righteous Might: Your size increases, and you gain combat bonuses.
- SRD:Spell Resistance: Subject gains SR 12 + level.
- SRD:Wall of Stone: Creates a stone wall that can be shaped.
6ST-LEVEL SHAMAN SPELLS
- Cat’s Grace, Mass: As cat’s grace, affects one subject/level.
- Charm Monster, Mass: As charm monster, but all within 30 ft.
- Cure Moderate Wounds, Mass: Cures 2d8 damage +1/level for
- Eagle’s Splendor, Mass: As eagle’s splendor, affects one subject/level.
- Fox’s Cunning, Mass: As fox’s cunning, affects one subject/level.
- Bull’s Strength, Mass: As bull’s strength, affects one subject/level.
- Owl’s Wisdom, Mass: As owl’s Wisdom, affects one subject/level.
7ST-LEVEL SHAMAN SPELLS
- Heal: Cures 10 points/level of damage, all diseases and mental
- SRD:Ethereal Jaunt: You become ethereal for 1 round/level.
- SRD:Repulsion: Creatures can’t approach you.
- SRD:Dictum: Kills, paralyzes, slows, or deafens nonlawful subjects.
- SRD:Blasphemy: Kills, paralyzes, weakens, or dazes nonevil subjects.
- SRD:Holy Word: Kills, paralyzes, blinds, or deafens nongood subjects.
8ST-LEVEL SHAMAN SPELLS
- Animal Shapes: One ally/level polymorphs into chosen animal.
- Cure Serious Wounds, Mass: Cures 3d8 damage +1/level for
- Earthquake: Intense tremor shakes 5-ft./level radius.
9ST-LEVEL SHAMAN SPELLS
- Astral Projection M: Projects you and companions onto Astral
- Etherealness: Travel to Ethereal Plane with companions.
- Heal, Mass: As heal, but with several subjects.
- Soul Bind F: Traps newly dead soul to prevent resurrection.
- Regenerate: Subject’s severed limbs grow back, cures 4d8 damage
+1/level (max +35).
Epic North Shaman
6 + Int modifier skill points per level.
Bonus Feats: The epic shaman gains a bonus feat (selected from the list of epic shaman bonus feats) every six levels after 20th.
Epic Shaman Bonus Feat List
Automatic Quicken Spell, Automatic Silent Spell, Automatic Still Spell, Energy Resistance, Epic Spell Focus, Epic Spell Penetration, Fast Healing, Improved Combat Casting, Improved Heighten Spell, Improved Metamagic, Improved Spell Capacity, Multispell, Perfect Health, Permanent Emanation, Spell Stowaway, Spell Opportunity.