Mata'ri (3.5e race)
From D&D Wiki
A mata'ri resembles a large humanoid arctic fox with large, powerful digitigrade legs. Mata'ri stand about 6ft. 2in. to 7ft. 6in. tall, and they weigh between 245 lb. and 341 lb.. Mata'ri are all hermaphroditic and feminine in shape, and just like all non-human primates, they do not possess permanent breasts. The mata'ri change coat as seasons change the same way an arctic fox does, being shaggier and white in the winter and gain a cream/brown coloration in the summer. Mata'ri eyes come in the same shades and colors as human eyes but shades of blue are more prevelant. A mata'ri is considered an adult at age 28, and they live on average 120 years.
Mata'ri tend to be ambivalent towards other races and mostly keep to themselves, they however do not shy away from co-operating with members of other races towards a common goal and are open to trade with any individual that desires it but do not wish to be involved in large scale trade with nations or city-states.
Thanks to their close connection to nature and deep druidic traditions, mata'ri tend towards Neutral alignments.
Mata'ri live in arctic and sub-arctic environments, usually tundras and taigas.
Mata'ri worship a quartet of deities know as The Four, each one embodying one of the four seasons.
|Portfolio:||Spring, Mischief, Chaos, Fire.|
|Clergy Alignments:||Any Chaotic.|
|Domains:||Chaos, Trickery, Fire|
|Symbol:||A basket of freshly picked berries.|
|Home Plane:||The Beastlands.|
|Portfolio:||Summer, Foraging, Love, Earth.|
|Clergy Alignments:||LG, NG, CG, N|
|Domains:||Good, Plant, Earth|
|Symbol:||A still lake.|
|Portfolio:||Autumn, Stability, Family, Water.|
|Clergy Alignments:||Any Lawful|
|Domains:||Law, Water, Family (Spell Compendium, p274)|
|Favored Weapon:||Light Hammer|
|Symbol:||A raging blizzard.|
|Home Plane:||Unknown, she is said to forever wander the planes in the guise of a frail elderly mata'ri.|
|Portfolio:||Winter, Death, Fate, Air.|
|Clergy Alignments:||Any Neutral.|
|Domains:||Winter (Frostburn, p85), Death, Air|
The mata'ri speak a language known as ta'ri, or 'speech' in their tongue, mata'ri meaning 'speakers'. It has been described as being reminscient of Sylvan. It consists of nine vowels and twenty four consonants and compound words are extremely common.
Sample names: Yukilee, Ani, Anami, Kiki, Saki, Vasani.
- -2 to Dexterity, +2 to Constitution, +2 to Wisdom, -2 to Charisma:
- Humanoid (Canine)
- Medium: As Medium creatures, mata'ri have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Long Gait: Mata'ri base land speed is 40 feet. Their gait is long and loping and they can cover great distances quickly.
- Keen Senses: +2 racial bonus on Listen and Spot checks and a +2 to Survival for the purpose of tracking.
- Low-Light Vision (Ex): A mata'ri can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, or similar forms of poor illumination. Mata'ri retain the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
- Weapon and Armor Proficiency: All mata'ri are automatically proficient with the Glaive.
- Thick Fur: Mata'ri have a +4 racial bonus on Fortitude saves made to resist the effects of cold weather or exposure and a -4 racial penalty on Fortitude saves to resist the effects of hot weather.
- Automatic Languages: Ta'ri. Bonus Languages: Terran, Common, Giant, Sylvan.
- Favored Class: Druid. When determining whether a multiclass mata'ri takes an experience point penalty, her levels in her druid class do not count.
- Level Adjustment: +1
- Racial feats: A mata'ri can choose to take Honed Scent and Quick Scent as feats at character creation (in the former case) or during level-up if they meet the prerequisites.
Pathfinder Racial Traits
- +2 to Constitution, +2 to Wisdom, -2 to Charisma:
- Humanoid (Elf) (0 RP)
- Medium: As Medium creatures, mata'ri have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size. (0 RP)
- Speed: Mata'ri base land speed is 40 feet. Their gait is long and loping and they can cover great distances quickly. (1 RP)
- Languages: Mata'ri begin speaking ta'ri by default and may pick from the following: Terran, Common, Giant, and Sylvan as bonus languages if their Intelligence modifier allows it. (0 RP)
- Bound To The Snow: Mata'ri gain a +2 dodge bonus to AC when in the following terrain types: ice, glaciers, snow, and tundra. (2 RP)
- Tundra Runner: Mata'ri receive a +4 racial bonus on Constitution checks and Fortitude saves to avoid fatigue and exhaustion, as well as any other ill effects from running, forced marches, starvation, thirst, and the effects of cold environments. (2 RP)
- Elven Ancestry: Mata'ri are immune to magic sleep effects and gain a +2 racial bonus on saving throws made against enchantment spells and effects. (2 RP)
- Racial Skills: Perception and Stealth are always class skills for members of this race. (1 RP)
- Snow Striders: Mata'ri can move through naturally difficult terrain at their normal speed while within the following terrain types: ice, glaciers, snow, and tundra. Magically altered terrain affects them normally. (1 RP)
- Weapons Training: All Mata'ri are automatically proficient with bows and glaives. (1 RP)
- Low-Light Vision: Mata'ri see twice as far as a human in conditions of dim light. (1 RP)
- Total Race Point Value: 15 RP
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|50 years||80 years||110 years||+2d10 years|
Besides the normal effects of aging, mata'ri also receive stacking +1 bonuses to their Wisdom scores at middle age, old age, and venerable age, this bonus can only be earned through normal aging and not through magical means of aging the person.
|Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|6' 2"||+2d8||245 lb.||× (1d6) lb.|