Lycan Spawn (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
Lycan Spawns are the not-so-distant relatives of the lycanthropes; and maybe even the go-between from lycanthropy and shifters. The only "known" way for a new Lycan Spawn to be produced is by a cross breed between a shifter and a natural or inflicted lycanthrope. The children are the same race as the lycanthropy’s race, and have an alternate forms relating to the shifter parent. Anyway that doesn’t change the fact that they are here, and showing up more often as time goes on. Despite the known way of breeding a lycan spawn there are rumors that a transmutation specialist mage or mages are currently producing them as a part of some experiment. They appear and act a great deal like their famous and vastly more powerful ancestral lycanthropes.
The lycan spawn are very well known of by people, and are viewed as lycanthropes to most; due to this almost everyone knows their weakness. They are commonly killed on site (if seen or left alone) even though they are not contagious like lycanthropy, and are not necessarily evil like their lycanthropy counter parts might be. The same hatred continues into battles, if they are spotted they are usually targeted due to the fear of getting infected with lycanthropy. If spotted by people who hunt Lycanthropy, they will probably track them down and kill them at their leisure. Even if the lycan spawn can convince people that they are not evil, he still will find it hard to buy any equipment or supplies, and will generally be blamed for anything that goes wrong in the town. However this may be avoided if they remain in humanoid form while in towns; however roomers or a nemesis may alert the public of their true form, especially if they were discovered in another city already. In the end though they are mostly hated due to them being the result of the lycanthropy plague and are seen as a threat to everyone to come (a.k.a. Bad Genetics, a classic monster).
Any, but usually leaning more towards their full lycanthropic versions. Lycan spawn are not genetically, and even less so socially, driven to be a specific alignment
As base race.
- -2 to intelligence:
- Lycan Spawn base land speed is as base race:
- +2 racial bonus to Survival skill.
- +2 racial bonus to Handle Animals skill with animals of same type.
- Low Light Vision: Lycan Spawn gains Low Light Vision, in hybrid and animal form only, if the base race did not already have Low Light Vision. Low Light Vision allows them to see twice as far into darkness as a human normally could.
- Lycan Blood: Lycan spawn qualify as lycanthropy when under it is an effect of spells and weapon qualities. A lycan spawn may purchase Improved Natural Armor feat without meeting the prerequisites, but the benefit only applies to animal and hybrid form. When a lycan spawn reaches 9 hit die they may purchase Scent as a feat. At 11 HD they qualify as a shape shifter, or having alternate form ability for prestige classes (such as war shaper) and simulate feats not directly requiring lycanthropy.
- Aura of Disease: Lycan spawn are a product of a mystical disease intertwining into their heritage. For some reason this has produced a natural aura of unease with humanoids of the same type and suffer a -2 to all reaction and all diplomacy checks. If the fact that the lycan spawn is discovered as being what they are, by ether being seen changing forms or seen in their hybrid form the penalty is increased to -5. Lycan spawn do not have a weaker force of personality, social skills, or just generally physically attractive; people of their own race just feel a little un-eased around them.
- Silver Vulnerability: Due to the lingering curse of lycanthropy in their blood, lycan spawn suffer a negative reaction to the presence of silver. A lycan spawn who carries a silver item (such as weapons or coins) is sickened (-2 penalty to attack and weapon damage rolls, saving throws, and skill and ability checks) until that item is dropped. A lycan spawn who is struck by a silver weapon suffers 2 additional points of damage and is dazzled (-1 to attack rolls, and Search and Spot checks) for 1 round as it burns their flesh on contact. If being struck forces a lycan spawn to make a Concentration check, the damage dealt by a silver weapon counts double.
- Immunities: As base race, plus a lycan spawn are immune to lycanthropy of all types.
- Alternate Form:
Lycan Spawn can shape shift very similarly to lycanthropy. They have also inherited the ability to take on a form of both a hybrid and animal, similar to a lycanthropy. Lycan spawn can shape shift between their Human, Hybrid, and Animal from by making two full round actions. They may not take any other actions while transforming but are not defenseless, do not provoke an attack of opportunity, and retain their full armor class.
Unfortunately, a lycan spawn must grow into this ability as well as others.
- At 1 HD they may take on an alternate form for 3 + their new forms Constitution modifier in rounds.
- At 5 HD they may take on an alternate form for 2 + their new forms Constitution modifier in minutes.
- At 9 HD they may take on any form indefinitely.
The rounds/minutes they have in their alternate form do no need to be used up all at once. They may split the duration of time between their animal and hybrid form. The time spent changing forms does not take up the time you have in your alternate forms. The amount of uses is determined by the form they wish to take stated below. Changing from hybrid or animal forms to human form is tiring and taxing on their body. After changing forms they are fatigued for 5 minutes untill they reach 11 hit die in which they are no longer fatigued. If they were in combat while in their current form they must be wary of changing forms. If they were not magically healed or had at least 4 hours of sleep, after taking on the new form they must make a DC 20 Constitution check, using their new forms Constitution, or be knocked unconscious. They suffer non lethal damage that drops them to -5 hit points.
In hybrid form, the lycan retains its gear, its abilities scores, and class features. It can speak and cast spells as normal. The lycan with a feat can buy natural claw attacks (1d4 for Medium, 1d3 for small). With the expenditure of a feat, at 1 Hit Die they may attack with two claws, one being the primary and the other being secondary at -5 hit and half strength. This does not increase in attacks with a higher base attack bonus. They may also at any time attack with a claw as a secondary off hand weapon at -5 to hit as part of a full round action attack. At 5 Hit Die a lycan spawn may attack with two claws at full base attack bonus and strength. This does not increase in attacks with a higher base attack bonus. If the lycan fights with a weapon, it can make a secondary attack with the claw (at -5, add only ½ Strength bonus) as part of a full attack action. A lycan spawn may take on this form as many times as they want, but can not if they have changed forms in less than 5 minutes or is fatigued. In situations where a lycan spawn humanoid and animal type are of different environments, such as a lycan spawn shark/human, they hybrid form would be amphibious and be able to breathe air and water.
- In animal form, the lycan cannot speak, but retains understanding of all languages it knows. However it loses its ability to uses normal equipment not specifically designed for the new form. While changing to this form, a lycan spawn, not being as tied to their magical nature as normal lycanthropy, must worry about their own personal gear due to their change in shape and possibly size. Most items that are designed for the use by a humanoid, that are worn, form fall off and items such as weapons that are held are dropped. The same effect applies to items designed for your animal form. The one exception to these rules maybe amulets, which have extended chains for larger creatures, and they must not require any activation for use. The lycan gains the following traits based on the animal chosen at character creation: Movement’s base speed and type in place of their own, feats, special qualities, skill bonuses, and natural attacks.
Unlike the hybrid form and normal lycanthropy they may only take on this form 1/day and gain an additional use per every 4 hit die they posses, when they would other wise gain 4 uses per day they instead get uses at will; however the duration is as previously stated.
- Ability Modifiers: A lycan spawn in hybrid or animal form gains ONE ability increase to strength, or Dexterity, or Constitution. The stats that can be increased are limited by the lycanthropy equivalent’s bonuses. If Constitution is chosen your hit points do increase while in hybrid form and animal form only. These hit points are lost last if they take on humanoid form. This could nock them unconscious or even kill them.
- Stats per Lycanthropy List
- Bat (dire): +2 Strength, or +2 Dexterity, or +2 Constitution
- Bear: +2 Strength or +2 Constitution
- Boar: +2 Strength or +2 Constitution
- Rat: (dire): +2 Dexterity
- Tiger: +2 Strength, or +2 Dexterity, or +2 Constitution
- Wolf: +2 Dexterityor +2 Constitution
- Other Types of Lycan Spawn: A Lycan Spawn can not have a base animal that is more than one size category smaller or larger than their humanoid race and other lycanthropes must have a Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution stat of 14+ to be viable to be increased.
Example: A Medium Shark has Strength 13, Dexterity15, and Con 13. A Lycan Spawn Shark can only have a +2 Dexterityas one of it's possibilities. A Cheetah though has Strength 16, Dexterity 19, and Constitution 15. Thus A Lycan Spawn Cheetah can have +2 Strength, +2 Dexterity, or +2 Constitution as one of it's possible increased stats.
- Automatic Languages: As base race. Bonus Languages: .
- Favored Class: As base race, but seem to lean toward barbarian, ranger, or druid. Some dire versions of lycan spawn like to pick up sourcer as due to their draconic nature.
- Level Adjustment:
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||' "||+||lb.||× () lb.|
|Female||' "||+||lb.||× () lb.|