Hyaenid (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
Hyaenids are social creatures who travel in large, matriarchal clans. The females are larger, stronger, and more dominant than the males, and even the lowest-ranking female comes before the highest-ranking male in the clan hierarchy. However, their genitalia is difficult for outsiders to distinguish, and they are occasionally mistaken for a hermaphrodic society.
Hyaenid males are not dominant in their own clans, but they are considered intimidating by other species' standards. Male Hyaenids do tend to show respect and deference to females of other species, even if it isn't cuturally normative.
Hyaenids are generally mercenary-like in nature, fending for themselves first- although they are capable of forming strong bonds with a select few outside their clan.
Hyaenids are a humanoid/hyena mix, with primarily animal characteristics. Capable of both quadrapedal and bipedal travel, Hyaenids are well-suited to all terrains. Their bulky shoulder mass, small hindquarters, blunt claws, and short-muzzled crushing jaws are hyena characteristics, while their torso and upper limbs have a distinctly human-like structure. Hyaenids are covered in parti-colored fur that can range from a spotted brown to a striped grey, although anomalies are possible. Mane-like fur length around the neck and shoulders is typical.
Hyaenids are generally about 7' and can be anywhere from 200-300 lbs.
Hyaenids are relatively friendly with most races, especially bestial, but they have a deep-seated mistrust for constructs and non-organic races. Magic is not inherent for Hyaenids but it's possible for them to learn.
Hyaenids are native to desert and plains areas.
- +2 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, -2 Charisma.
- Monstrous Humanoid
- Medium (towards the large end of Medium)
- A Hyaenid's base land speed is 40 feet on two feet, 50 feet on all fours.
- Senses: Hyaenids have an excellent sense of smell, giving them a +4 on all Tracking checks. Sharper hearing gives them a +2 on Listen checks.
- Intimidating Size: Hyaenids are seven-foot-tall half hyena creatures with the shoulder dimensions of a linebacker. Intimidation is considered an inherent skill.
- Darkvision: Hyaenids can see in pitch black up to 60ft.
- Natural Weapons: The Hyaenid's jaws are incredibly strong and can deliver bone-crushing bites. Hyaenids can combine a lunge with a bite attack for an attack of opportunity. Roll 1d8 for Bite Damage. A Hyaenid's claws are also powerful weapons and add +2 to any Unarmed Strike.
- Natural Armor: Because of their dense fur and large size, Hyaenids get a +2 to their AC.
- Automatic Languages: Common and Beast, although their particular Beast dialect includes a lot of laugh-like interjections. These often carry over into conversations in other languages and give the impression that the Hyaenid is terribly amused at something. This can be misinterperated as insulting.
- Alignment: Any, but generally Chaotic.
- Favored Class: Any mercenary types.
- Level Adjustment: +3