Half-Medusa (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
[] A note to whoever tagged this as needing external links replaced with internal ones- I have no idea how to do that. If anyone else can, please do so or let me know how so I can do it myself in future submissions.
Half-Medusas are the children of a rare union between a Medusa parent and one of any other race. They do not share in their Medusa parent's petrifying curse, however, their eyes convey a sense of unease, and onlookers find themselves compelled not to make eye contact, even without knowing the child's parentage. Half-Medusas often grow up lonely due to this, and tend to be loners throughout life, or become angry and lash out.
Most Half-Medusas have rage issues, in part due to their Medusa parent's monstrous nature, and in part from other people's avoidance of them. This leads them to lash out often at a world that seems to have no place or love for them. Those that overcome their anger tend to become reclusive, either secluding themselves somewhere or traveling alone.
The half-breed child of a Medusa may not have her/his parent's flesh-to-stone eyes, but will often adopt other attributes. Many have serpentine hair, scales covering part of their bodies, or even elongated fangs and a forked tongue. Besides any snake-like features, a Half-Medusa looks much like any other member of their other parent's race.
Due to most races' distrust and hatred of Medusas, all races in general will not accept a Half-Medusa. There are individual exceptions, and many find that, given the chance, a Half-Medusa is just like any other one will come across, albeit more introversive.
Half-Medusas can be of any alignment, though most all are Chaotic, and many, being outcast, turn to Evil.
Half-Medusas aren't a prevalent race, nor are they widely accepted by other races. Therefore, they don't have any lands of their own, more often living either in other races' towns and cities or in seclusion.
Half-Medusas speak whatever language their non-Medusa parent speaks, as well as the primarily-empathic language of snakes.
Half-Medusa names usually come from their non-Medusa parent, in order to help them fit in better, but occasionally the Medusa parent will name the child.
- +4 Dex, +2 Con, +2 Wis, -2 Cha, +2 natural armor bonus: Half-Medusas have enhanced reflexes from their Medusa parent, but their off-putting eyes make others tend to avoid them.
- Half-Medusa base land speed is 30 feet. They have a swim speed of 20.
- Humanoid (Reptilian)
- Darkvision 60 ft.
- Heat Sense (ex): a Half-Medusa can sense all living, warm-blooded creatures within 30 ft.
- Scent (Ex): You can detect creatures within 30 feet by sense of smell. If the creature is upwind, the range increases to 60 feet; if downwind, it drops to 15 feet. Strong scents, such as smoke or rotting garbage, can be detected at twice the ranges noted above. Overpowering scents, such as skunk musk or troglodyte stench, can be detected at triple normal range.
- Constrict(Ex): on a successful grapple check, a medusa deals damage equal to 1d8 + her strength modifier.
- Poison(Ex): Injury, Fortitude DC 14, initial damage 1d6 Str, secondary damage 2d6 Str. The save DC is Constitution-based.
- Poison Immunity (Ex): As venomous creatures, Half-Medusas have naturally strong immune systems and are immune to all poisons.
- A Half-Medusa can make a target shaken as a spell-like ability with a single glance. Can be used 2 times/day per character level, and must make eye contact with target. Targets that are blind or otherwise vision-impaired and cannot see the Half-Medusa's eyes are not affected.
- A Half-Medusa's snakes hiss regardless of the appropriateness of the situation, -2 to move silently and hide checks.
- Automatic Languages: Common, non-Medusa parent's language. Bonus Languages: Any, besides secret languages. A Half-Medusa can communicate with all snakes.
- Favored Class: Ranger or Rogue.
- Level Adjustment: +3
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|55 years||73 years||90 years||+1d20 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||4' 10"||+1d10||120 lb.||× (2d4) lb.|
|Female||4' 5"||+1d10||100 lb.||× (2d4) lb.|