huge monstrosity, lawful evil
Armor Class 15 (natural armor)
Hit Points 120 (16d12 + 16)
Speed 5 ft, swim 35 ft.
Saving Throws charisma
Skills Persuasion + 3, Deception + 2, Stealth + 1, Intimidation
Damage Vulnerabilities silvered weapons
Damage Resistances fire, poison
Condition Immunities curses and cursed items
Senses passive Perception 11
Languages Common, Elvish;
Challenge 6 (2,300 XP)
Fog Breath. Fog breath clouds judgment, provides cover, disorients all creatures within the fog. It also stinks. The green nude eel is immune to the affects of its own fog breath. 30 ft radius sphere 30 ft from the green nude eel. d6 recharge on 4, 5 or 6. Make the clouded judgment save first, because if it fails it will affect the disorientation save. An unaffected creature must make these saves every turn that it is in the cloud to avoid being affected.
- A creature with clouded judgment will make all saves with disadvantage. Save vs Wisdom to avoid clouded judgment.
- A disoriented creature will move in a random direction if it tries to move. Save vs Intelligence to avoid disorientation.
Wood Chewing. Wood chewing does not affect living wood. Wood Chewing allows a green nude eel to do double damage to a boat or wooden structure, generally putting a hole in a boat in 5 rounds, a small ship in 8 rounds, or a large ship in 13 rounds.
- If the ship or boat has no transom (flat end at the back of a boat), but is shaped as if it has two bows (like a Viking war ship), the green nude eel only does normal damage, and making the hole takes twice as long, because the green nude eel has to attack the side rather than a vulnerable transom.
- Copper cladding will also halve the damage and double the time it takes to make a hole in a boat or ship.
Poison Slime-skin. Any creature attacking the green nude eel in melee must make a save vs poison, because the green nude eel's skin slime splashes on them. Causing 1d6 points of poison damage per turn until washed off. or until save vs Constitution. You may save each round until successful.
Land Slithering. While slithering on land a green nude eel may move 5 ft per turn. It survives roughly 10 minutes out of water (fresh water, salt water, or swamp). It takes 1 point of damage per turn out of water from suffocation. After 10 minutes it passes out from suffocation, and dies 2 minutes later. It recovers from suffocation damage at the end of a long rest.
Magic Item Smelling. A green nude eel can detect the presence and direction of a strong magic item at 1000 ft, or a weak one at 100 ft if that magic item is within 100 ft of the body of water that the eel is in. In combat, the eel will usually attack those with the strongest magic items first.
- It can detect the presence of a legendary item within one mile.
- If there are multiple magic items within 100 ft of each other (as on a ship), the eel can sense the magic items at an additional 200 ft for each additional strong magic item.
- Its magic item range also increases by 200 ft for each magic item that is cursed.
Action Name. Bite: +6 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 1 (6d10 + 6) slicing damage.
The eel can take 2 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature's turn. The eel regains spent legendary actions at the start of its turn.
Grapple and Drown (Costs 1 Action). The green nude eel can attempt a grapple with its mouth doing half damage. If successful, the eel will often dive in order to drown the creature bitten. Drowning takes 6d6 turns.
Attract Another. Green nude eels often hunt in loose packs. The green nude eel can bring another nearby green nude eel into the battle on the next turn. There may be as many as 1d6 green nude eels locally that may be attracted to the combat in this manner. The green nude eel may perform this legendary action even if unconscious or after it dies.
The green nude eel is a huge green slime covered eel that wears no clothing and despises civilization. It hunts ships and shipping and attempts to sink as many ships as it can in its short miserable life. It lives about 20 years, reaching full size at 5 years. It especially likes sinking ships that contain flammables such as large shipments of oil or flammable high proof alcohol. It feeds on these and grows larger. Its skin may be a uniform green shade or a mottled mixture of green shades, generally appealing looking except for the slime.
- Magic Items
- Green nude eels do not use magic items. None-the-less, a green nude eel is attracted to strong magical items and will sink an entire ship if just one is aboard, swallowing even magic swords and cursed and legendary items and growing larger. It especially likes eating cursed items. In its belly will be found numerous magic items, especially those made of metal and stone, but magic items made of perishable materials will often survive because they are magical, but not scrolls. Roughly 1/3 of the magic items in a green nude eel's belly will be cursed. The items will spend so much time in each other's proximity along with the magic digestion of the green nude eel, that they will all identify as cursed for at least two weeks after being removed. Sometimes the curses will make a non-cursed item actually cursed for 2d4 weeks after being removed. In combat, the green nude eel is often more interested in the magic items than in killing the creature wearing or carrying them. If for example a green nude eel has grappled and dragged a creature wearing magic armor to drown them (a legendary action), they may escape from the magic armor and swim to the surface, leaving their magic items behind, without being chased by the green nude eel.
- After Dying
- Green nude eels are a little heavier than water and when they are killed will sink at a speed of 5ft per turn taking all their magic items with them. If there is another green nude eel in the battle, it will use its legendary action to grab and drown the dead green nude eel to get all its magic items. The dead green nude eel may still use its 'Attract Another' legendary action after death to bring another green nude eel to the scene of battle to 'grab and drown' its dead body in order to have its magic items retrieved.
- A green nude eel is able to talk, and appears smarter than it actually is, using Persuasion, Deception, Intimidation. These skills add +5 to its apparent Intelligence. Its low intelligence is reflected in having weak Perception, Insight, Nature, Religion.