Fey (+0LA) (3.5 Race)
Despite the fact that human record decribes fey as being wildly emotional, this is rarely the case. Fey are usually cold and calculating, at least until a situation arises that erouses their interest. Fey are usually very quiet among humans and rarely prefer to be the center of attention, instead choosing to shadow their lesser peers.
Fey tend to be around 3 1/2 to 5 feet tall and despite a slender build, they tend to weigh over 180 pounds, with female growing taller and weighing heavier than males. Coloration depends on the environment a fey lives in: fey from the north have dark brown or black hair and dark, weatherbeaten skin, while southern fey have dark blonde to black hair and lighter sun-bronzed skin. All fey share the following characteristics: high foreheads, sharp teeth, and strange feline/lupine eyes. Fey found on the Material plane usually make heavy use of cosmetics such as hair dye.
Fey get along well with humanoids due to their unusually powerful pheromones, although humanoids who aren't affected by them often have a negative attitude towards fey due to their bestial appearance and strange demeanor. Those few outsiders who actually interact with the fey usually keep them at arms length because they see them as competition or are suspicious of their intentions such is their lore and reputation.
Fey are always at least some form of neutral, with northerners being more slightly more lawful, while the southern hunter-gatherers have become more wild and chaotic.
Until recently the fey existed only on their home plane, known as Faerun by humans. Faerun is very similar to the Material Plane except that every aspect in enhanced: perpetually stormy seas, lifeless tundras, great forests, endless savannahs and fetid swamps. Faerie has a unique effect on Material creatures: It causes a sort of euphoria which makes everything seem...better: colors are brighter, smells and tastes are stronger and time seems to flow slowly. So far certain investigators have been able to determine that this is caused by a mixture of longer days, lower gravity and the pollen of certain indigenous plants.
Although hundreds of fey clans wander the plane, only three can be described as having any real authority.
The Se'lyy dwell in the barren tundra of the north. This faction is ruled by Queen (this is a human title) Raequin, a tyrannical necromancer known for assembling the first standing army on Faerie, she rules her domain with an iron fist, demanding that every citizen serve the in military.
The Una-Se'lyy are nomadic hunters who stalk the savannahs and forests of the south. They are loosely ruled by Queen Ilfesbili, a savage who demands a yearly blood tithe from every clan in her domain.
The Paenshrae are a secretive organization dedicated to Gxe'ex, a form of Truenaming that stems mainly from bardic music abilites. Paenshrae believe that every creature and object has two unique songs: San'as'ashiel or the Lifesong, and Cziliscored or the Doomsong. Paenshrae have generally been exterminated whereever they are found, due to this philosphy.
The fey find the concept of deities amusing, to say the least. A fey will go out his way to snub and ridicule clerics and other divine spellcasters.
The fey have been around for eons, have seen the rise and fall of both nations and races, they may choose any languages as a bonus languages.
Each individual fey has at least ten names apiece (although most have many, many more), stemming from the race's taboo about letting others know their true name. A fey generally changes names once it has made some change in its life, be it a change of occupation, change of mate or incurring the wrath of a more powerful fey. Fey names do not add honorifics or family names, they just choose whatever sounds good.
- -3 Any Two, +2 Any Two: Fey are extremely varied in nature, appearance, or alignment. Each Fey despite being extremely unique has something tend to excel at very well this advantage is countered however as these drastic specializations mean they are much less capable at other things. Fey aren't as rare as you might think, you've met a fey in your life you just didn't know it(see Pheromones).
- Fey (Extraplanar)
- Small, Medium, or Large(set upon obtaining this template): Fey have the standard bonuses or penalties of their set size.
- Fey base land speed is 30 feet. If they choose to move on all fours (can not be holding anything*) they gain +10 feet while moving in this fashion. (*This does not apply to holding the charge on spell.)
- Low-Light Vision.
- Pheromones (Ex): Fey have extremely strong pheromones which can be used to manipulate other creatures. The duration of this effect lasts a number of minutes equal to the characters Charisma modifier. Pheromones have a range of 100 feet and must be inhaled to have any effect, the save (Fort Dc 10 + Fey's Current HD + Charisma Modifier) to negate and may be reattempted once per minute. The following abilities may be use at will on the effected creature:
- Charm Monster
A fey may also use the following on its self (only creatures affected by pheromones can perceive effect):
Effected creatures may make any saves(10+ 1/2 Fey's Current HD + Charisma Modifier) as normal to negate these effects. Each use has a caster level equal to the fey's character level.
- Natural Attacks: Fey gain a bite that deals 1d4 points of damage plus 1/2 the fey's Strength bonus and 2 claw attacks that deal 1d4(Small),1d6(Medium), or 1d8(Large) points of damage plus strength modifier.
- Extremely Primitive: Fey take a -4 penalty on all attack and damage rolls made with martial or exotic weapons. A fey may spend 2 skill points every other level to reduce the penalty by 1.
- Scent (Ex): Fey have the scent ability.
- Hidden Name: Fey have a +10 bonus on all Truenaming checks.
- +1 Natural Armor bonus.
- Racial Skills: The following are treated as class skills for a Fey; Bluff, Hide, Knowledge (nature), Listen, Move Silently, Perform, and Spot.
- Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A fey is not proficient with any weapons or armor.
- Racial Feats: Fey relies on it's on uniqueness and abilities which are as varies as human's fingerprints. A fey’s specialized nature gives it three starting feats(must meet any prerequisites). The cost for this specialization is that Fey get -3 skill points per level.
- Automatic Languages: Common(Requires 14+ Wisdom), Sylvan(Requires 16+ Wisdom), and Druidic(Requires 19+ Wisdom) . Bonus Languages: Common, Sylvan, Celestial, Infernal, Draconic
- Favored Class: Any Arcane Casting Class
- Level Adjustment: +0
As a Template
A creature can become a fey using this race as a template, however it can only be applied during character creation.