Elemental Assassin (5e Class)
From D&D Wiki
- 1 Elemental Assassin
- 2 Creating an Elemental Assassin
- 3 Class Features
- 4 Sneak Attack
- 5 Keen Sense
- 6 Spell Casting Ability
- 7 Earth Protection
- 8 Elemental Weapon
- 9 Archetype
- 10 Dagger Mastery
- 11 Ability Score Improvement
- 12 Raging Current
- 13 Fluidity
- 14 Luck of the Wind
- 15 Shadowblend
- 16 Elemental Mastery
- 17 Multiclassing
Elemental Assassins train for years to become masters of their art at a Temple of the Elements. There are a few of these dotted around the world, and each has a master, guiding all who pass the Elemental Gauntlet. This is designed to push each prospective entrant to their absolute limit, with physical and mental challenges along the way. Each gauntlet differs, according to the residing master's design.
As an Elemental Assassin, you have dedicated years to studying the ways of the elements and creating ways to enhance your natural abilities. Such training takes a long time to master, and has left you highly attuned to the ways of the natural world. You can use these skills to slightly enhance weapons, buff yourself, protect yourself from a small amount of damage, and heighten awareness or movement speed.
All Elemental Assassins have the innate ability to swim (same distance as normal movement), breathe underwater, and to climb 25ft. Fall damage is also halved, and negated once the Elemental Mastery skill is earned.
Creating an Elemental Assassin
Any race can train to become an Elemental Assassin, providing they have the patient nature to complete their training, and have a high Dexterity.
An Elemental Assassin can have any alignment. Most favor a neutral stance to life, but some have been known to have been corrupted by their Master and turned evil.
A few questions to ask yourself when creating your biography:
- What made you leave your people in pursuit of elemental knowledge?
- Who did you study under, and what is your preferred style?
- Where did you train, and what did you have to go through to get there?
- How did you get to the Temple?
- What is your ultimate goal? Fame? Power? Knowledge? Vengeance?
As a Elemental Assassin you gain the following class features.
- Hit Points
Armor: Light Armor
Weapons: Simple Weapons, Blowgun, Shortbow, Longbow, and Shortswords.
Tools: Poisoner's Kit, Thieves Tools
Saving Throws: Dexterity, Intelligence
Skills: Choose 4 skills from the following: Acrobatics, Athletics, Stealth, Arcana, Investigation, Persuasion, Insight, Intimidation, Deception, Sleight of Hand, or Perception.
You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background:
- Leather Armor and Two Daggers
- (a) Trap kit or (b) Blowgun
- (a) A Shortbow and a Quiver of 20 Arrows or (b) 5 Vials of Moonswift
- (a) An Explorer's Pack or (b) An Adventurer's Pack
- If you are using starting wealth, you have 4d4 x 10gp in funds.
|Sneak Attack||Features||—Spell Slots per Spell Level—|
|1st||+2||2d6||Keen Sense, Sneak Attack||—||—||—||—||—|
|2nd||+2||2d6||Earth Protection, Elemental Weapon||2||—||—||—||—|
|3rd||+2||2d6||Dagger Mastery, rogue archetype||3||—||—||—||—|
|4th||+2||3d6||Ability Score Improvement||3||—||—||—||—|
|6th||+3||3d6||Improved Keen Sense||4||2||—||—||—|
|7th||+3||4d6||Fluidity, Improved Dagger Mastery||4||3||—||—||—|
|8th||+3||4d6||Ability Score Improvement||4||3||—||—||—|
|9th||+4||4d6||Improved Earth Protection, Improved Elemental Weapon||4||3||2||—||—|
|10th||+4||5d6||Luck of the Wind||4||3||2||—||—|
|12th||+4||5d6||Ability Score Improvement||4||3||3||—||—|
|13th||+5||6d6||Improved Dagger Mastery||4||3||3||1||—|
|14th||+5||6d6||Improved Earth Protection, Improved Elemental Weapon||4||3||3||1||—|
|15th||+5||6d6||Improved Keen Sense||4||3||3||2||—|
|16th||+5||7d6||Ability Score Improvement||4||3||3||2||—|
|17th||+6||7d6||Improved Raging Current||4||3||3||3||1|
|19th||+6||8d6||Ability Score Improvement||4||3||3||3||2|
|20th||+6||8d6||Elemental Mastery, Improved Dagger Mastery||4||3||3||3||2|
At 1st level, you can take advantage of foes that are incapacitated, prone, dazed, blinded, or otherwise unaware of your presence, to do an extra 2d6 damage on an attack, once per turn. The first attack coming out of stealth will also be a sneak attack. Attacks must be executed with a finesse or ranged weapon. The extra damage increases with level, as shown in the table above.
Beginning at 1st Level, your body becomes highly attuned to the wind. You may use this skill as a reaction to push yourself backwards 10ft to escape danger. You can only use this once per short rest. At 6th level, you may use this skill twice before needing to rest. At 15th Level, the distance you are pushed back doubles to 20ft.
Spell Casting Ability
Beginning at 2nd level, you gain the ability to cast elemental spells. These spells must be elemental in nature (Earth, Wind, Fire, Water). You must choose your spells when you gain the level accordingly, and at each new level, may change out one spell for another of the same level. Your spell casting ability is Intelligence.
At 2nd level, you learn to focus your mind on the protective natures of rock. As a reaction for 1d4 rounds, 1d6 damage is negated At 9th level, this increases to 2d6 for 1d6 rounds and at 14th level it increases to 3d6 for 1d8 rounds. You may activate this feature once per day when you finish a long rest.
At 2nd level, Your chosen weapon deals an additional 1d4 elemental damage. Roll a 1d4 or decide which element (Lightning 1, Fire 2, Frost 3, Acid 4). At 9th Level the damage increases to 2d6 and at 14th level your Elemental Weapon increases in damage to 3d6, of the element that you have previously chosen.
- Note Regarding Elemental Weapon: the player can only choose one weapon to become his elemental weapon, or if they are a duelist they can choose two daggers as their chosen weapon. The player must initiate a one hour ritual to bind this weapon to himself. During this ritual the player must have the weapon(s) in hand, and have no interruption. If the ritual is interrupted the player loses focus with the chosen weapon(s). The weapon(s) will explode, dealing 1d6 damage plus 1d6 elemental damage.
At 3rd level, choose an archetype from the list on the rogue class in the PHB.
At 3rd level the damage die of any dagger weapons you use increases by one size. Increases again at level 7, level 13, and level 20.
Ability Score Improvement
At 4th level, and again at 8th, 12th, 16th, and 19th level, you can increase one ability score of your choice by 2, or you can increase two ability scores of your choice by 1.
At 5th level, you learn to channel a raging current into your weapon strikes. You land a critical hit with an attack roll between 19-20, dealing an extra die of the damage roll. At 17th Level, this increases to 18-20
At 7th level, you learn to move with fluid-like grace, heightening your evasiveness. When certain area of effect spells or abilities allow you to make a Dexterity saving throw to take half damage, a successful saving throw will negate all damage, and a failed saving throw will suffer half the damage.
Luck of the Wind
At 10th level, the wind bestows upon you a blessing, allowing you to re-roll any damage dice rolls of 1 or 2. You must use the new roll, regardless of value.
Beginning at 11th level, you become one with the shadows, and can remain in stealth, virtually undetectable. This effect last for 1d4 rounds. Anyone that performs a perception check of 15 or higher will be able to detect you. Any attack you make immediately ends this effect. At 18th level, this increases to 2d4 rounds, and requires a perception check of 17 to detect you.
At 20th Level, you achieve Elemental Mastery.
- Jetstream: You feel the speed of the wind rush through you, and are now able to leap twice your movement distance. You may only do this skill once per long rest.
- Life Orb: Your body is at one with the oceans, and can protect you from all falling damage by breaking your fall with a protective sphere of water.
- Molten Touch: You learn to channel the pure power of fire, and can now use Molten Touch to melt locks on doors in order to open them. If a trap is connected to the lock, this will trigger it.
- Strength of Rock: Your body surges with the raw strength of stone, and your carry capacity increases by 25%.
Prerequisites. To qualify for multiclassing into the Elemental Assassin class, you must meet these prerequisites: Dexterity 15
Proficiencies. When you multiclass into the Elemental Assassin class, you gain the following proficiencies: Stealth