The Dyncraig were born when a wizard of Elven descent whose name, depending on the teller, was either Malachai or Maestrobaiter. Nobody is certain of that, but they are certain of his actions. During experimentation, he infused the essence of a huge earth elemental into the body of a goliath woman, forever changing her into the being that would be later known as the Dyncraig. She, and another failed experiment, were eventually released, and eventually they grew to number in the thousand, supported by the Triad’s government, for the Dyncraig make fine frontline fighters.
Sporting a stony back and four arms, while the Dyncraig are not necessary the most dexterous of creatures, they are firm and strong. Dyncraig females are hard to differentiate from males, largely due to a lack of breasts and defining feminine facial features. The easiest way to identify a clothed Dyncraig is to listen to the voice, which is lighter in females, or else to study the unarmored front’s color, which has a tendency to be lighter in females. Dyncraig tend to be between 6 and 7 feet tall, and often weigh around 280 to 320 pounds, with almost none being lighter than 260.
- +3 Strength, -4 Dexterity, +3 Constitution:
- Humanoid, Goliath (Elemental): Dyncraigs are treated as both humanoid (goliath) and elemental.
- Medium Size: A Dyncraig suffers no penalties and gains no bonuses from size.
- Dyncraig base land speed is 20 feet:
- Powerful Build: The physical stature of Dyncraigs lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category larger. Whenever a Dyncraig is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), the Dyncraig is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him. A Dyncraig is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect him. A Dyncraig can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, his space and reach remain those of a creature of his actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category.
- Stable: Dyncraigs get a +2 bonus on any attempts to move them, such as bull rushes.
- Adapted to Fire: A Dyncraig gains a +2 bonus on any checks made against the effects of heat or a fire related effect, but suffers a -1 penalty on any such checks made against cold.
- Four Arms: A Dyncraig has four arms, and, as such, gains many benefits. While the arms must be trained to be used in combat, they can hold, grab, and interact as his other two can. A Dyncraig gains a +4 bonus on grapple checks, and a +1 bonus on certain strength based checks (such as swim and climb). In order to use the extra arms in combat, the Dyncraig must take the Multiweapon Fighting feat, which can only be taken at 1st level. Improved Multiweapon Fighting and Greater Multiweapon Fighting can both be taken at any time the Dyncraig would be able to take a two weapon fighting feat of the same kind, provided they have the prerequisites.
- Fire’s Companion: Dyncraigs are adapted to even the most intense of heats. Dyncraigs have a permanent DR/2 against any kind of fire damage. This increases by two at levels 5, 9, 13, and 17.
- Natural Armor: The rocky spikes and stones that make up a Dyncraig’s body provide excellent protection, conferring an Armor Bonus of 2 points.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Undercommon. Bonus Languages: .
- Favored Class: Barbarian.
- Level Adjustment: +2.
Table: Random Starting Ages
Table: Aging Effects
Table: Random Height and Weight
||× (1d6) lb.
||× (1d4) lb.
Back to Main Page → 3.5e Homebrew → Races