Demoniac Sword (5e Equipment)
From D&D Wiki
Weapon (longsword), artifact (requires attunement)
A sword that absorbs blood to become more powerful, the sword absorbs souls to level up and achieve abilities. Inside the sword lies a demon, thus the name "demoniac sword".
Random Properties. The Demoniac Sword has the following random properties:
- 2 minor beneficial properties
- 3 minor detrimental properties minor detrimental properties
Soul Absorption. You need to gain a certain number of points to unlock the new abilities and gain more levels with the sword. When you reduce a creature to 0 hit points with a strike from the demoniac sword, the sword absorb a souls. The sword requires a certain number of souls to gain one level.
Some of the abilities of this sword require the target to make a saving throw. The save DC equals 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Constitution modifier.
- 1st level - blood absorption, gory strike (0 souls)
- 2nd level - bloodied charge (15 souls)
- 3rd level - possession (30 souls)
- 4th level - blood tornado (45 souls)
- 5th level - demon slash (60 souls)
- Blood Absorption. When you hit a creature with the demoniac sword, you can use your bonus action and spend 8 hit points to cause additional 1d6 slashing damage. You can spend more hit points to increase the amount of additional damage caused, spending 16 hit points (2d6), 24 hit points (3d6), 32 hit points (4d6) and 40 hit points (5d6).
- You can deal more than 5d6 hit points of damage, but for each additional d6 after 5d6, you suffer 1 exhaustion level.
- Gory Strike. When you slay a creature using this sword, you can use your bonus action to summon a sword made of abyssal energy. Make a melee weapon attack again a creature within 5 feet. On a hit, you deal slashing damage equal to 1d8 + your proficiency bonus + your Strength modifier. This damage increases to 1d12 when the sword reaches 3rd level and 3d6 when it reaches the 5th level.
- Bloodied Charge. You can use your action and spend 20 hit points to charge your sword. Make a melee weapon attack with this sword and, on a hit, you deal additional 3d8 slashing damage and the creature needs to succeed on a Strength saving throw or against a DC of 19 or... (the op doesn't say what happens)
- Possession. At 3rd level, you can use your action to let the demon sealed inside the sword to possess you. For 1 minute, you have advantage on all ability checks, attack rolls or saving throws.
- The demon doesn't distinguish friend from foe, considering all creatures it can see as hostile. For the duration, you always attack the creature closest to you. If you have more than one creature at the same distance of you, the DM chose the target.
- When the possession ends, you suffer one level of exhaustion.
- Blood Tornado. As an action, you can spend 40 hit points to generate a tornado of blood in a 10-foot-radius, 30-foot-high cylinder on a point you can see within 30 feet.
- A creature needs to succeed on a Dexterity saving throw, taking 3d10 slashing damage on a failed save or half as much on a success. In addition, any creature that fails the save must succeed on a Strength saving throw against a DC of 19, or be launched 25 feet back, in a straight line.
- Demon Slash. When you are at your maximum number of hit points, you can choose to be reduced to 1 hit point to make one attack against each creature within 30 feet. All creatures within range need to succeed on a Dexterity saving throw, or take 100 slashing damage on a failed save, or half as much on a success.
Destroying the Demoniac Sword. A strike from a celestial being with a CR 6 or higher, or a radiant damage from a spell of 6th level or higher is sufficient to destroy the demon inside the sword, turning this into a regular sword.