Darkling (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
Dark black-skinned creatures that hide in the shadows and steal from unsuspecting races.
The Darkling is a sly and rather curious creature, they do not enjoy social activities with any but their own race. They also have a habit for wearing stuff they steal as a sign of dominance.
A Darkling can come in either a solid black skin tone or a more rare white skin tone. They have bright yellow eyes that reflect light and vicious teeth. An average Darkling is 3'11 tall when slouched, they are 4'3 when standing straight (Which they rarely ever do). The female Darklings are impossible to tell apart from the males by any other than their own race. Darkling also have sharp claws capable of making the deepest of wounds in a humans flesh. They are also quite light as they specialize in stealth, so they must be quick and agile. Normally a Darkling is seen slouching.
A Darkling never generally interacts with many races, as most of them have a natural hatred for their thieving ways. Elves however take a liking to the creatures as they are generally not hostile and are long descendants from elves. Trolls also have a large fondness of them, Darklings and Trolls may be seen interacting together on a general basis, the Trolls appear to think of them as little adopted brothers and sisters and so will never harm one intentionally. Darklings take this alliance with Trolls at an advantage, often stealing a bit from them but never so much as to upset them.
Dwarves harbour a huge hatred for Darklings as they often steal from them, being underground most of their time they bump into Dwarves often who take no second chance at attacking them. Many other races have a hatred for Darklings.
Darklings can be Good, neutral or evil. But they will always be chaotic.
Darklings usually remain in city sewer systems, basements and the caverns of the underground. They are quite territorial.
Darklings follow no religion.
Darklings can speak Broken-Common and Darklish (Darklish sounds like a variety of shrieks). They may learn any other bonus language.
Darklings have rather simple names referring to their actions. Examples are White-Scar, Claws, Gnaw and Sparklies (A Darkling who has stolen jewellery and wears them.)
- +2 dexterity, −2 wisdom: Darklings are fast and strong, but they lack common sense.
- Medium: Darklings gain no advantages or disadvantages for being medium.
- Darkling base land speed is 40 feet:
- Darkvision 120 ft.
- Light Blindness: Abrupt exposure to bright light (such as sunlight or a daylight spell) blinds a darkling for 1 round. On subsequent rounds, they are dazzled as long as they remain in the affected area.
- +2 racial bonus on listen, spot, move silently, hide and climb checks.
- Hide in Shadows (Su): as long as they are within some sort of shadow, a darkling can hide itself from view in the open without having anything to actually hide behind. They cannot, however, hide in their own shadow.
- Automatic Languages: Broken-Common and Darklish. Bonus Languages: Any (except secret languages).
- Favored Class: rogue
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||' "||+||lb.||× () lb.|
|Female||' "||+||lb.||× () lb.|