Daemons (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
Daemons, not to be confused with Demons, are outsiders native to the astral planes. They're natural polymophs, and thus possess no true form, instead switching between any they can think of at will. These rare beings are bound to the fabric of reality, allowing them to alter the area around them.
Daemons, being technically immortal(Old age will not kill them, but a sword tends to do a fine job of it), have a greater degree of perspective than most races, however, the younger members of their race are reckless and impulsive, although good natured. Daemons very rarely take pleasure in killing, and are much more likely to be pursuing whatever has caught their eye at the time
Daemons, being polymorphs, are very hard to identify, however there is a surefire way to identify one. All daemons, after reaching the age of 20, grow horns, which usually sprout from their temples. The specific shape of the horns is more a reflection upon the individual daemon, but they all appear to be a strange synthesis between bone and wood.
Very few races even know that Daemons exist, partly because there are so few and partly because Daemons don't have an overlaying culture to fall back on. Over all, they have good relations with most races, due to their ability to fit in
Daemons are usually neutrally aligned, although a few of them have been known to be chaotic good. Daemons are never evil, nor are they lawful.
Any, although they are particuarly well adapted for astral travel, and are capable of not only bringing their body with them, but also forgoing the silver thread usually associated with astral travel.
Causality is the patron deity of Daemons, but they do not worship her, or any other god, as much as they acknowledge them.
Common, plus any spoken in their area. Daemons can speak with other daemons regardless of language barriers
Daemons tend to gain names in the same way as their adopted culture, although they also all have a second name which they use when speaking to other Daemons. All daemons are aware of their true names.
- −2 Constitution, +2 Charisma.. Regardless of the shape they take, they are always less robust and more attractive than their actual counterparts.:
- OutsiderOutsider (ExtraplanarExtraplanar, ShapechangerShapechanger):
- Daemon base land speed is 30 feet:
- Reality Shapers: As stated before, Daemons can shape reality around them. The extent of their power is dependant on their age, and progresses as follows: Infant(0–30): Can perform any 0-level spell observed. (DC 10). Child(31–100): Can re-roll a dice throw. (DC 12) Teen(101–300): Can Counterspell at will, even if the Daemon is not a caster. (DC 15). Adult(300–3,000): Can cast Limited wish(DC 20). Venerable:(3,001–Eternity): Can cast Wish (DC 25).
- Horns: A daemons horns are very important. They anchor the Daemon to reality, a place where they are not exactly welcome. The Horns have their own hit point, and can take magical damage in lieu of the daemon himself. If the daemon's horn every reaches 0 hp, they will become inactive for as many days as it has hit-points. After that time has passed, they reactivate. Every time a daemon levels up, his horns grow more powerful with him, gaining 1 hd per level, die size determined by his age class. Infant: 1d4. Child: 1d4. Teen: 1d6. Adult: 1d8. Venerable: 1d10. Every time a Daemon goes up an age class, he gains an additional +1 to will saves.
- Shapeshifters(Ex):Daemons are natural shapeshifters. They have no natural shape, instead assuming the form of whatever race they are living with. While in a chosen form, the daemon gains all the physical bonuses of the race (Strength, Constitution, Dexterity), but not the mental ones. Daemons, however, are weaker than most races, so they always take a -2 constitution. Also, while a daemon may gain physical powers (flight by wings, enhanced speed), any magical, extraordinary, or spell like abilities are not gained. A daemon may take any form with equal or less hit die than the daemon it has seen at will, transforming as a simple action
- Spell-Like Ability: — Daemons exist because they think they do, being creatures of magic. This creates problems for them, particuarly when using their racial ability. Whenever a daemon attempts to use their Reality Shaper ability, they must take a will save. The DC is calculated by taking the DC to use the powers, and add an additional amount of points for every power used that day. The amount that each power adds to the DC is listed below. 0-level spell: +1 DC. Re-roll: +2 DC. Counterspell: +4 DC. Limited wish: +10 DC. Wish: +20 DC. If the Daemon fails his will save, he takes damage equal to how badly he failed his will save. For example, if a Daemon used a Reality shaper ability to cast a counter, and the DC added up to twenty, if the daemon rolled a 1, he would take 19 damage. This damage manifests itself in lost mass as parts of the daemon evaporate into a silvery mist. The damage taken can be redirected to the daemon's horns, but half of it still directly damages the daemon. Also, since Daemons are creatures of magic, they are repelled by anti-magic fields. Caster level is . The save DC is -based.
- Automatic Languages: Common + the language of their adopted people. Bonus Languages: .
- Favored Class: BardBard, sorcerersorcerer.
- Level Adjustment:
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||' "||+||lb.||× () lb.|
|Female||' "||+||lb.||× () lb.|
Daemons made a brief appearance in some a sub-plot involving Sheogi and Causality. Sheogi's creator, Joel Minza, was obssessed with Daemons, since they represented to him a perfectly synthesised soul, since that, in the end, is exactly what they are. I've never had a Daemon character, due to the high level adjustment, but I'd be interested to see it one day.
Inherited template that an be added to any living humanoid monstrous humanoid or animal
Creature type: creatures type becomes outsider (Shape changer) Special Qualities:
Change Shape: (Su) (At will): a daemon can assume the form of any humanoid monstrous humanoid or animal up to large size
Morphic Instability: using a daemons powers is painful to the creature inflicting 1hp/spell or power level, and forcing the daemon to make concentration checks as appropriate
Naturally Psionic: gains 1 bonus power point.
Power and Spell Resistance (Ex): power resistance equal to its Hit Dice +10.
- Special Attacks
Daemons can shape reality around them. The extent of their power depending on its Hit Dice, as indicated on the table below. The abilities are cumulative. Unless otherwise noted, an ability is usable once per day. Caster level equals the creature’s HD, and the save DC is Charisma-based.
|HD||Spell like Abilities (Sp)|
|1–2||1st level PH Arcane 3/day, 1st level EP Psion 1/day|
|3–4||Psion 2nd, Arcane 1st|
|5–6||Psion 3rd, Arcane 4th|
|7–8||Psion 4th, Arcane 3rd|
|13–14||Psion 8th 3/day, Arcane 5th|
Saves: Will Saves: daemons get an insight bonus to will saves equal to their charisma bonus
Abilities: Con -2, Int +6, Wis +6, Cha +8
Challenge Rating: +3
Alignment: Usually N