Cyuathls (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
Cyuathls are planeswalkers, traveling from one plane to the next until they find a place that suits them; their personalities vary widely due to their various experiences, but they do have a few things in common. In general, Cyuathls tend to be either vain or self-conscious about their physical appearance, and they tend to have strange ideals about beauty. They also tend to be rash at younger ages, but may mellow out as they grow older. Because of the wildly different cultures that Cyuathls come from, their personalities may be extraordinary alien, or they be almost identical to those of typical humanoids, allowing them to blend in with other humanoids.
- +1 Intelligence, +1 Constitution, -2 Wisdom, -1 Dexterity: Cyuathls are often, due to their natural curiosity, fast learners; their ability to change their biological makeup often drives them to want to learn more about the living things around them. Despite this Cyuathls are often quick to act and do not always consider the consequences of their actions, meaning they are not often the wisest of races. Cyuathls also tend to be slightly less dexterous than other races as many do not spend time perfecting their balance in a single form; rather they prefer to experiment with many different forms. Cyuathls also have a high tolerance for pain due to their method of shape changing.
- Humanoid (Shapechanger): Cyuathls possess a very crude, yet versatile form of shapeshifting.
- Medium: No bonuses.
- Cyuathl base land speed is 30 feet: A Cyuathl's land speed can change based on the creature it's emulating's landspeed. A full emulation of the animal's form will cause the Cyuathl to adopt the creature's landspeed. A partial emulation will generally adopt an average of the Cyuathl's base land speed and the emulated creature's base land speed, rounded down. If the Cyuathl assumes a form not similar to a known creature, it's land speed is decided at the GM's discretion.
- Black Mass Control(Ex)* Cyuathl's can control Black Mass a substance which they can inherently summon and which gives them their shape shifting ability. If Black Mass is not connected to a Cyuathl and has not been converted into an organic form, it will evaporate into a black cloud and then disappear.
- Spawn Black Mass Node (Su)* A Cyuathl possesses the ability to spawn a node of Black Mass somewhere inside of it's body; this process often causes the portion of the body that the node is spawned into to explode or at least break open. This causes extensive damage to a Cyuathl, however, an injured Cyuathl can spawn a node in a portion of it's body that is already damaged, reducing the penalty. A Cyuathl loses (1d4 + 2) * 10% of it's remaining hitpoints, rounded up, to this ability. This ability counts as a free action. This ability can be used once a day at level 1 and can be used one more time each day for every odd level after that. NOTE: it is not uncommon for twin Cyuathls to be born where only one of the siblings possesses the ability to summon Black Mass Nodes; it is also not unheard of for twins such as these to poserss a telepathic bond to one another. It should be noted that in most cases, these twins can both control the Black Mass that the single sibling spawns.
- Black Mass Heal (Ex)* Black Mass can indefinitely replicate itself at a very limited rate, and can also transmute into any organic matter that the Cyuathl is extensively familiar with at a very limited rate. This allows the Cyuathl to heal itself or another creature it has extensive anatomical knowledge of for 1d4 + (0.25/level, rounded down). If a Black Mass node was spawned this turn, instead heal for 4d4 + 1/level. This counts as a standard action.
- Black Mass Weapon (Ex)* A Cyuathl can also form it's Black Mass into temporary weapons; weapons are scaled to the level of the Cyuathl and must be useable by it's chosen class. This counts as a standard action unless a Black Mass Node was spawned this turn, in which case it counts as a swift action. If the weapon is disarmed, it evaporates into a black cloud and disappears.
- Black Mass Shapeshift* A Cyuathl may change a portion of their form outside of combat over the course of 1 hour, or their entire form outside of combat over the course of 6 hours. Partial changes include, changing the shape of a single limb, growing a tenticle, growing fur, growing talons ect. When deciding on the changes this makes to the Cyuathl's abilities in combat, the GM has ultimate authority. Cyuathls can only shift their body into forms that they are extremely familiar with or else their "Dexterity" and "Strength" are cut into 1/4th their original values, and they recieve -10 to all attack rolls; in the case of wings, a Cyuathl cannot fly at all unless they are extensively familiar with using wings. If a Black Mass Node was spawned this turn, a Cyuathl may change a portion of it's form in combat as a standard action.
- Black Mass Strike (Ex)* This ability counts as a standard action and is only usable if a Black Mass node was spawned this turn. The Cyuathl can lash out with a barbed tentacle made of Black Mass moving at high speeds to with a reach of 4 dealing 3d6 +1/level damage. This counts as a melee attack or a ranged attack depending on the Cyuathls distance from the target. Once the attack has ended, the Cyuathl may choose to retain this tentacle, but the tentacle will lose it's high speed and strength qualities. If the Cyuathl chooses to retain it's tentacle, it's landspeed will be cut in half and it's natural attacks will gain a reach of 4.
- Automatic Languages: Common. Bonus Languages: Any, except for secret languages such as Druidic.
- Favored Class: Any.
- Level Adjustment: +3
This race can effectively make itself imune to aging by continuously replacing it's body parts using Black Mass and thus will have no maximum age, nor suffer any aging penalties, if a Cyuathl decides not to control it's age, it will age as follows...
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|36 years||59 years||78 years||+2d20 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||' "||+||lb.||× () lb.|
|Female||' "||+||lb.||× () lb.|