Concept:Spells in MTG
From D&D Wiki
We have 3 options her that i can see.
- School Of magic
There are 8 schools or magic in D&D and 5 colors of mana in MTG. Necromancy Could be black, Transmutation will be green, Divination will be blue, Abjuration will be white. Enchantment will be split between blue and red. illusion will be split between blue and black, and conjuration and evocation will be split between all classes.
- Class list
We could split them by class list. Say druid spells are green/red and clerics will be white/black. Bards will be blue/white, sorcerers and wizards will be 5 color and warlock will be green/black.�
- Effect/Damage type
We could split by damage type and flavor, say fire/lignting and thunder damage would be red, necrotic would be be black, radiant white, Psychic blue, bludeoning or physical stuff green. Also stuff to do with nature would be green, healing white, mind stuff blue, the dead black and rage/ fire/explosions red.
Another topic to discuss is magics card type classifications in magic to fit to D&D. Heres a list of the types and what the could/should be in d&d.
Probably a modified version of Conjure Animals or a similar spell.
Any spell with a casting time of 1 action or more
Spells that can be used as a reaction.
Spells with durations longer than instantaneous, and the enchantment school of magic.
A Modified version of Planar Ally To summon an NPC of a the planeswalker class and specific colors. (We should probably fill out stat blocks for them)
Could summon an object or magic item for a duration.
I can see that. Due to the nature of the game, it does raise a few points...
I can understand "Conjure Animals" and maybe "Raise Dead" for Green (Animals in general) and Black (Zombies, ghouls, maybe the occasional vampire) respectively, but what of the remaining 3? For the sake of argument, Eldrazi won't factor into details (Just a base-cover in case someone else sees the page and brings them up.)
- I Was thinking something like creature cards in magic where depending on the CR of the creature it has a lager/smaller mana cost. also i was going to divide the creature types of d&d into the colors with the exeption of dragons and some others. Bannanameds (talk) 20:32, 3 May 2017 (UTC)
- Sorceries, Instants, and Enchantments
Slight curiosity, are we going to be drawing from MTG's list of the spells and find its D&D pseudo-counterpart, or just write some up from scratch from a list of them?
- Im going to say a little of both. ill work on the d&d side you can work on making mtg themed spells for d&d. Bannanameds (talk) 20:32, 3 May 2017 (UTC)
The list seems smaller at least, but how many should we make? Less work if we just focus on the 5 main Gatewatch members (Jace, Gideon, Chandra, Nissa, and Lilliana) at least, but there are some more to keep an eye on.
- Well start with the gatewatch (which as of aether revolt includes ajani) and go on from there Bannanameds (talk) 20:32, 3 May 2017 (UTC)
- I figured the Core 5 first, so that way all 5 colors get something before working on others.
I see it. About the Equipment, are they going onto the Creatures, or can the player themselves use it?
- Speaking of, is the class going to have equipment proficiency? Or should each of the Equipment have the restriction, "Each equipment cast by you can only be wielded by you, or summoned creatures you control?"
Finally, what should be a quota? There are over a few thousand cards to work with, and I don't want to seem biased in my choices. (Mostly cause I play with a lot of Eldrazi in MTG, and focus a bit more on their goodies.)
To be fair, there is the "Shadows Over Innistrad" block ("Shadows Over Innistrad" and "Eldritch Moon"). So if you mean Innistrad pre-"Battle for Zendikar", I'll oblige.
I will say, if it is pre-BfZ story, then a lot of the expansions have about 3 sets each. pre-BfZ "Innistrad" ("Innistrad," "Dark Ascention," and "Avacyn Restored") has about (both ironically and hilariously) 666 cards. If most of those are mere Lands and we cut those from the numbers, that's still 636 cards to work with.Nightmares are dreams too... (talk) 21:20, 3 May 2017 (UTC)
Each block has 16 different land cards. lets focus on pre bfz Innistrad. dont do creature cards cause ill take care of that aspect. also focus on Mirrodin and Theros. Bannanameds (talk) 21:44, 3 May 2017 (UTC)