| A "race's compendium" race created by
Skin tone ranges from blue to almost black. Eyes are yellow, with little color differences between pupil, iris, and cornea. Ears are slightly pointed, and body hair is enough for a light fuzz, and always the same color as the skin. A tail sprouts at the base of the spine, hairless, and ending in a point. Size ranges normal half-elf sizes, although the stature is much lankier, and slightly hunched. The spine is more flexible, allowing them to remain in positions that would cause chronic back problems in other races. Each hand has 2 fingers and a thumb, while each foot has 3 toes, one placed near the inside heel.
Bamflings are the result of a long period of demon enslavement, demonic breeding, and exposure to abyssal atmosphere. They were once a race of near-humans, some say akin to half-elves, but were taken to the Abyss when a great demon was defeated and sent back to the Abyss. Enslaved and bred with demons, they were warped and twisted into a partially demonic race for several thousand years. Living in fear of their slavers, they grew to resent their life, and in a daring bid for power, a few strong Bamfling heroes struck the demon down. The Bamflings fled through a dimensional tear into the Prime Material Plane, to live there again as their ancestors once had, free of demonic enslavement. They were named Bamflings by the denizens of their new plane because that is the sound made when they activate their trademark ability. They use this name themselves; they had not changed their original name, but are now shamed to use it after what they have become. Their new home is tenuous at best, since their demonic heritage and visage frightens many people, and only generously being allowed to stay, and most importantly, living in a remote location, is what continues their existence.
- +2 Dex, -1 Str, -1 Cha:
- Native Outsider: Bamflings are of the Outsider (Native) type; rendering them immune to many magical effects which target humanoid, but also vulnerable to those affecting outsiders.
- Bamfling base land speed is feet:
- Bamf Confusion (Feat)
- Bamf(Su): The Bamflings, while refusing to be demonic as they most often are called, were attuned to the Abyssal dimension through demonic interbreeding. By tapping into the more primitive brain still left over from their demonic heritage, they stress the dimensional fabric around them and around where they wish to go, all at once. The dimensional stress pulls them instantaneously from where they are to the other stress, as well as a puff of atmosphere from the Abyss and a loud "Bamf" noise. Anyone carried along in this fashion is dazed from the dimensional forces at work, and often coughing and sputtering from the sudden exposure to Abyssal atmosphere. As a standard or move action (Either or both), the Bamfling may disappear from his current location, and reappear up to (1,056 per class level)feet to a location that he has line of sight to, away. He may not appear in a solid object of any sort, and he is considered standing when he appears. He may also appear on ceilings or walls, but the Climb check must be made to avoid falling off (He is still capable of taking 10). Bamfing does not provoke AoOs. A Bamfling may carry weight along the trip equal to (Strength x 3) per class level. If he pulls along anything more, he suffers nonlethal damage equal to 1d4 for every 10 pounds extra. Anyone other than a Bamfling takes 1d6 nonlethal damage and become Dazed for one round if they are bamfed. They can make a Fort save DC 20 to take half damage and avoid being Dazed. A Bamfling may bamf a number of times in a 2 hour period equal to his Con modifier(Minimum of one) times his class level. If he bamf more than this, he suffers (1d4+Number of Bamfs over his limit for each Bamf over the limit) nonlethal damage. Bamfing does not alter velocity. Example: If a bamfling falls 20 feet and Bamfs to the ground, he will take falling damage as if he fell 20 feet.
- Sheer Climb(Ex): The Bamfling's ancestral race was enslaved and kept in a network of tunnels, and due to the hazards of the Abyssal caves, were forced to be expert climbers, climbing in ways and places no others could without magical powers. Bamflings gain a +6 racial bonus to their Climb skill. They are also able to Climb sheer walls and ceilings(Both are considered DC25), and are able to take 10 under duress.
- Prehensile Tail(Ex): All Bamflings have a prehensile tail sprouting from just above their buttocks. Tail length varies from Bamfling to Bamfling, some barely touching the ground, and others being one and a half as long as the Bamfling is tall. It is unknown whether it came from the demonic interbreeding, or was part of their original race. The Bamflings don't like to talk about its origins, although the distinct arrowhead shape of the end of the tail suggests demonic influence. Any Bamfling can use their tail to assist themselves in minor things, but Bamflings who spend time and effort training themselves can use their tail as an extra limb, wield weapons, or even as a weapon itself. +2 bonus to Trip, Climb, and Tumble.
- Demonic Appearance(Ex): Demonic interbreeding has left the Bamflings with less than human features. Their posture, all-covering fur, odd numbers of fingers and toes, glowing yellow eyes, and enlarged canines makes people very frightened of them. While some people get used to this, or are already used to this, it greatly interferes with a Bamfling's actions spent in other groups. Suffers a -4 Cha check penalty on social rolls unless the target makes a DC30 will save. Can be made once a week. DC goes down by one for every friendly encounter with the Bamfling, or other exceptionally strange creature. This ability does not affect Intimidate checks, other Bamflings, or demons.
- Darkvision(Ex): Having lived so long in the abyssal caves, the Bamflings were forced to develop the ability to see in the dark. Bamflings have darkvision to 60 feet.
- Automatic Languages: Common. Bonus Languages: Abyssal, Elven, Halfling, Gnomish.
- Favored Class: Rogue.
- Level Adjustment: 2
Table: Random Starting Ages
Table: Aging Effects
| Middle Age1
|| Maximum Age
|| + years
Table: Random Height and Weight
|| Base Height
|| Height Modifier
|| Base Weight
|| Weight Modifier
|| ' "
|| × () lb.
|| ' "
|| × () lb.
Back to Main Page → 3.5e Homebrew → Races