Autoplate Pilot (3.5e Class)
From D&D Wiki
"What's so special about that armor anyway?"
More than you'd think. By animating armor and controlling it with their will and mechanical controls, Autoplate Pilots find fighting power in the power of the armor they wear. They use their larger size to dominate the battlefield while the pilot inside is actually much weaker. Gnomes often take this class, as they are tinkerers by heart.
Making an Autoplate Pilot
Autoplate Pilots are battle units at heart. They have high defense and can either run melee or ranged offense. Still, they have quite the versatility with their suits and gain several powers to help attacks, mobility, or defense.
Abilities: Strength, Constitution, and Dexterity are the main abilities that the Autoplate Pilot deploys. Many of its special weapons and upgrades utilize these abilities to function. Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma are not dominantly important for the function of the pilot's daily life.
Races: Humans and Gnomes are the main purveyors of this class, having the skill and know how to do it. Dwarves who love machines are commonplace as well. Elves are typically unassociated with technology, as are orcs. Halflings might try them to bolster their size.
Starting HD: Pilot d4
Starting Gold: 5d4×10 gp (125 gp).
Starting Age: As any race.
|Saving Throws||Special||Energy Core|
|1st||+0||+2||+0||+0||Slot, Acquire Autoplate||1|
|2nd||+1||+3||+0||+0||Upgrade, Repair Bonus||2|
|4th||+3||+4||+1||+1||Upgrade, Physical Enhancer||4|
|8th||+6/+1||+6||+2||+2||Upgrade, Physical Enhancer||8|
|12th||+9/+4||+8||+4||+4||Upgrade, Physical Enhancer||12|
|16th||+12/+7/+2||+10||+5||+5||Upgrade, Physical Enhancer||16|
|20th||+15/+10/+5||+12||+6||+6||Upgrade, Physical Enhancer||20|
Class Skills (4 + Int modifier per level, ×4 at 1st level)
All of the following are class features of the Autoplate Pilot.
Acquire Autoplate: The key feature of the Autoplate Pilot is his armor. At first, the Autoplate is little more than strange looking armor composed of metal, stone, wood, and plant fibers which cover the body, like Full Plate. However, it possesses the following traits: +3 Armor Bonus, a maximum Dex bonus of +5, -3 Armor Check Penalty, 80% Arcane Spell Failure Chance, and typically double the user's weight, rounded up. It counts as light armor for purposes of proficiency skill checks, and feats. Autoplate may be enhanced as any Masterwork Armor and enchanted as any armor. An altered anti magic shell is shaped around the pilot once the suit is activated, this is to protect the pilot from the area effects, sparks, and other magical side effects that happen while making the autoplate suit function. The anti magic field is altered and tuned to the specific effects that only the suit and the pilot make. Unfortunately that means that the pilot can not use any worn magic item while piloting the autoplate. Once the pilot exits the autoplate suit, all worn magical items reactivate. To level up an Autoplate, the pilot needs a full uninterrupted 8 hours to add or change the necessary parts.
Energy Core (Su): The source of the Autoplate's power is the Energy Core built of metal and crystals flowing with magic. The Energy Core also allows you to employ any special attacks and abilities gained from your Slots and Upgrades. At 1st level you have a total supply pool of 1 Energy Point, which grows as the above chart indicates and regenerates one Energy Point every round or every 6 seconds. You may spend a maximum number of Energy Points equal to half of your Autoplate Pilot level in a single round. The Energy Core has a caster level equal to your class level and is disabled inside of an antimagic field or if it is subject to a successful dispel magic spell. If this happens, you are unable to employ the suit's functions until it is clear of the anti-magic field or the effects of the dispel magic spell have ended. If the pilot depletes the Energy Core of it's points, the suit shuts down for a number of rounds equal to the Energy Point drain below zero, and the pilot is considered helpless until he or she exits the suit. Opening the cockpit is a manual operation, and can be done even if the suit is shutdown.
Slot: At 1st level, and every two levels after (3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15, 17 and 19), the Autoplate gains one slot somewhere on it's body to contain a special weapon or device. Such devices often consume Energy Points every round to be active. Unless otherwise noted, all slot abilities are (supernatural) abilities, and are only usable when the pilot is wearing the autoplate armor. Choose from the list below in Table 1-1, the description of each Slot can be found below.
Repair Bonus: Accustomed to repairing and modifying their mechanical armor, at level 2 an Autoplate Pilot may apply half his class level as a bonus to Craft checks made to repair items and craft or repair armor. Instead of healing the suit, it must be repaired. This is a full round action. The repaired HP equals half the skill check total.
Upgrade: As the Autoplate Pilot grows in skill, he continues to modify his suit in new and interesting ways. At levels 2, and every two levels after (4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, and 20) he may choose the effect of 1 Upgrades from the list below. The suit must meet the requirements for each Upgrade if any. Upgrades often consume Energy Points when active, limiting the number of Upgrades you can have running at once. Choose from the list below in Table:1-2, the description of each Upgrade can be found below. Unless otherwise noted, all Upgrade abilities are (supernatural) abilities, and are only usable when the pilot is wearing the autoplate armor.
Physical Enhancer: At 4th, and every 4 levels afterwards, the Autoplate Pilot may enhance certain aspects of his armor. Each time provides a +2 enhancement bonus to a single physical ability score i.e Strength, Constitution, or Dexterity, of his choice. The bonus is only in effect while wearing the suit itself, or when the suit is on it's own.
Slot Descriptions List
- Aiming Laser: This attachment Slot can be obtained once the Autoplate is outfitted with either the Ioun Beam Slot, Pod Cannon Slot, or the Spike Launcher Slot. As a free action, a red laser is projected from the suit's shoulder, allowing it to target an additional target that is no more than 30 feet + 10 ft. per size category increase apart from each other with the Ioun Beam Slot, Pod Cannon Slot, or the Spike Launcher Slot. This Slot requires 1 Energy Point to be expended per use. This ability can target 4 targets maximum. For each target, a separate ranged attack roll must be made at a cost of -1 to the attack. This ability can be taken multiple times, each time it is acquired it allows the suit to target an additional foe, but the attack penalties stack. If the pilot wants to target 2 enemies, both attacks receive a -2 penalty on attack. If the pilot wants to target 3 enemies, all attacks receive a -3 penalty on attack. If the pilot wants to target 4 enemies, all attacks receive a -4 penalty on attack. Back to Table
- Charged Exoskeleton: To be able to gain this slot, you must have the Energy Flume Slot first. The outer skin of the Autoplate suit can emit a charge doing 1d6 points of elemental damage per Energy Point expended. It can be deployed as a standard action, and lasts until the end of the round. The damage is elemental based on the dragon type picked for the Breath Weapon slot. Anyone who makes a successful touch, melee or grapple attempt takes this damage. If this damage is applied to a grapple attempt, the enemy must immediately let go if the damage exceeds their grapple check. Back to Table
- Dash Boots: The autoplate can charge ahead in a burst of speed. For every point of energy it expends into Dash Boots, the autoplate pilot can increase their speed by 10 ft. until the end of the round. This ability can be activated as a free action. Back to Table
- Elemental Razors: To access this slot the pilot needs to have the Energy Flume Slot. This is added to the suits and the Razors Slot or #Bladed Lash slot. The suit's reservoirs hold the chemical mixtures inside the stone dragon head is tubed down to the suit's arms. The tubes glow with the chosen dragon element run into the razor blades on the suit's forearm. Upon a successful attack with the Razors slot, the suit can do elemental damage, +1d6 elemental damage per Energy Point with the chosen elemental damage. Back to Table
- Energy Flume: Upon taking this slot the pilot can graft a stone carved dragon's head on on the Autoplate's helmet. He can now expel a breath weapon of a (same size category as the Autoplate suit) red, blue, green, black, or white dragon (color corespondes with breath weapon damage type and must be chosen at the time of the initial hook up). Usable once every 1d4+1 rounds, it does 1d6 damage per energy point used. The range and area effect are chosen with each use of the slot, a 20 ft. cone that can increase +5 ft. with each Increase Size upgrade, or a 30 ft line that can increase +10 ft. with each Size Increase upgrade. If a target makes a successful Reflex save, it only encures half damage. DC 10 +Autoplate level +Energy Points spent. Back to Table
- Energy Shield: To take this slot ability you must have Shield Generator. In addition you may use a free action and spend a minimum of 2 energy point, to gain DR/magic equal to 2x the amount of Energy Points spent. Alternatively they may spend a minimum of 2 Energy Point, and gain energy resistance against once type of energy equal to 2x Energy Points spent. Back to Table
- Energy Shield, Improved: To take this slot ability you must have Energy Shield. Your shield bonus increases by +2. You gain Spell Resistance equal to your Autoplate Pilot level + 5. It takes 1 Energy Point a round to maintain the Spell Resistance. You may raise or lower it as a free action once a round. Back to Table
- Enlarged Body: To take this slot ability you must have Enlarged Weapon, and takes 1 Power Point per round it is deployed. The physical stature of your suits bulk lets you function in many ways as if you were one size category larger. Whenever you are subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), you are treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to you. You are also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect you. However, your space and reach remain those of a creature of your actual size. Back to Table
- Enlarged Weapon: To take this slot ability you must have a Harpoon Slot, Plasma Weapon Slot, Razors Slot, Bladed Lash Upgrade, or Spiked Body Upgrade. You may spend 1 energy point a round to have your weapon grow and act as if it were one size category larger, as energy from the core is focused into your blows. Swift action to turn on. Back to Table
- Flares: As a free action, this attachment creates a burst of light when at least 1 Energy Point is spent. If you cause the light to burst directly in front of a single creature, that creature is dazzled for 1 minute unless it makes a successful Fortitude save, DC = 10 + 2 per Energy Point spent. Sightless creatures, as well as creatures already dazzled, are not affected by flare. The Flare Slot can also be deployed to misdirect a Magic Missile. If the pilot is aware of the Magic Missile spell targeting the Autopilot suit, the Flare Slot can be used, and the Magic Missile spell targets the deployed Flare instead. It can misguide one Magic Missile per Energy Point spent. Back to Table
- Flash Step: To take this slot ability you must have Dash Boots and the Increase Agility Upgrade. As a free action to activate, your speed increases to lightning fast movement allowing you to gain the effects of Haste as the spell. This ability uses 1 energy point a round while in use. Back to Table
- Harpoon: To take this slot ability you must have the Grappling Barb Upgrade. A harpoon with a nasty barb on its end is grafted onto the suites left arm, and when used, fires out as a ranged touch attack. The harpoon has a range of 40ft, and deals does 1d4 piercing damage. On a successful ranged attack, the target is considered impaled and grappled. As a full round action the target may make a DC 20 Strength check to break the hold, taking 1d6 slashing damage to remove the harpoon. As long as the target is impaled, it's movement is cut in half and the target takes a -2 on all attacks, saves, and skill checks. Once the harpoon is detached or on an unsuccessful attack the harpoon retracts instantly. Additionally the pilot receives a +2 to trip attempts and to avoid being tripped while the target is impaled. This ability causes the target to remain within a range of 40ft because it is still impaled. This ability consumes one energy point each round a target is impaled and can be released as a free action. A target that is impaled can also be reeled in as a fish on a hook, as a standard action the pilot can reel the line in at the pilots base land speed while his target is impaled. The target can avoid being pulled in with an opposed Strength check. This slot can be taken once for each arm. If more than one harpoon is used to impale a target, the target gets a -2 on all attacks, saves, and skill checks per harpoon impaled. Also with more than one harpoon the pilot can impale more than one opponent at once, which gives the pilot a -1 on grapple, attacks, skills, and saves per target impaled as well. May be improved with Enlarged Weapon. Back to Table
- Image Projector: To gain this ability the Autoplate suit must have Predatory Cammo first. A projector is mounted on the shoulder of the suit that can be activated as a swift action. This projector creates the visual illusion of an object, creature, or force, as visualized by you with a maximum range of 40 Ft. The illusion does not create sound, smell, texture, or temperature. You can move the image within line of sight of the Autoplate suit. It consumes at the minimum of 1 power point per round the image is summoned. A successful Will Save can negate the illusion, but if the pilot deploys more Power Points, the DC gets tougher. Extra Power Points spent this way must be maintained for the duration of the usage of the slot. DC = 10 + Autoplate level + Power Points spent. If the illusion is physically interacted with, the Will Save is automatically successful. Back to Table
- Ioun Beam: As a ranged attack that provokes attacks of opportunity, you may fire a beam of magic damage to a range of 60 ft. This attack deals 1d4/1 point of pure magic energy, and is halved by objects before applying hardness. Spell resistance applies, with a caster level equal to your autoplate pilot level. This is a spell-like ability. May be improved with Aiming Lazer. Back to Table
- Ioun Beam, Improved: To take this slot ability you must have Ioun Beam. Your energy beam now extends to 90 ft., and deals 1d6/1 point of pure magic energy. The max amount of Energy Points that can be spent to deploy this Slot is equal to half of the character's level. May be improved with Aiming Lazer. Back to Table
- Ioun Beam, Greater: To take this slot ability you must have Improved Ioun Beam. Your beam now extends to 120 ft., and deals a 1d8 damage dice per energy point spent. May be improved with Aiming Lazer. Back to Table
- Iron Jaws: A lower jaw filled with metallic teeth is attached to the Autoplate's head, giving the suit a melee bite attack that does 1d4 piercing damage + Str modifier. Back to Table
- Jump Jets: With a burst of energy you take a leap into the air. By spending 1 or more Energy Points you gain an enchantment bonus to your jump checks equal to +10 per energy point used. Free action to turn on. Back to Table
- Nitro Charger: To take this slot ability you must have Jump Jets. You gain a fly speed equal to half your land speed, with average maneuverability as a swift action to turn on. Use of this ability consumes 1 Energy Point every round it is active. In addition, you may ignore up to 60 ft. + 10 ft. per size category increase of fall damage. Back to Table
- Nitro Charger, Improved: To take this slot ability you must have Nitro Charger. Your fly speed improves to your land speed, with good maneuverability. Use of this ability consumes 1 energy points every round it is active. In addition, you may ignore up to 120 ft. + 10 ft. per size category increase of fall damage. Free action to turn on. Back to Table
- Plasma Net: The suit must be equipped with Plasma Weapon before it can have this Slot grafted to it. A net of pure energy is grafted into the suit's hand, and can be used to entangle enemies. Once the energy net is fired, it stays connected to the suits arm via a chain of pure energy. When you deploy the energy net, you make a ranged touch attack against your target. A net’s maximum range is 10 feet +10 feet per size increase beyond medium. If you hit, the target is entangled. An entangled creature takes a -2 penalty on attack rolls and a -4 penalty on Dexterity, can move at only half speed, and cannot charge or run. Since you control the trailing chain, by succeeding on an opposed Strength check while holding it, the entangled creature can move only within the limits that the rope allows. If the entangled creature attempts to cast a spell, it must make a DC 15 Concentration check or be unable to cast the spell. An entangled creature can escape with a DC 20 Escape Artist check (a full-round action). The energy net has 15 hit points and can be burst with a DC 25 Strength check (also a full-round action) which causes the energy net and chain to immediately dissipate. A net is useful only against smaller creatures, and creatures one size category bigger that the suit. Back to Table
- Plasma Weapon: Your arm develops a slot to which a concentrated glowing weapon of energy can be formed from as if drawing a weapon action, and can be dismissed as a free action. It can form as any melee weapon the pilot is proficient with the same specifications as the actual weapon. This is an (extraordinary) ability. The weapon can be broken as it has hardness 10 and 10 hit points); however, a Autoplate Pilot can simply create another on the pilot's next action. The moment he relinquishes his grip on the weapon, it dissipates. A Plasma Weapon is considered a magic weapon for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction. The pilot can use feats such as Power Attack, Quick Draw, and Combat Expertise in conjunction with the Plasma Weapon just as if it were a normal weapon. He can also choose feats requiring a specific weapon choice, such as Weapon Specialization. Powers or spells that upgrade weapons can be used on a Plasma Weapon. This slot can be taken once for each arm that can be used as an attack. May be improved with Enlarged Weapon. Back to Table
- Pod Cannon: By expending 1 Energy Point a missile of magical energy fires forth from the chest of the suit and strikes its target, dealing 1d4+1 points of force damage. As a standard action, the missile strikes unerringly, even if the target is in melee combat or has less than total cover or total concealment. Specific parts of a creature can’t be singled out. The missile has no maximum range. Inanimate objects are only dealt half damage by this attack. For every Energy Point expended, an additional missile can be fired in a single round with the maximum of 6 missiles. May be improved with Aiming Lazer. Back to Table
- Predatory Aim: To gain this ability the pilot must have Improved Predatory Cammo. The pilot gaines the ability of sneak attack with a damage rate at +1d6/two levels in Autoplate Pilot. Back to Table
- Predatory Cammo: To take and maintain this slot, the suit must be of large size or smaller. The suit can bend the light around itself making it a shadowy hazy blur. This affect is Blur as the spell for up to three rounds. It can be turned on as a move action and shut off as a free action; but while in use, the first round consumes one energy point. On the second round it is in use it consumes two energy points, three energy points for use in the third round. After 3 rounds the cammo fades. Back to Table
- Predatory Cammo, Improved: To take and maintain this slot, the suit must be of large size or smaller, and have the Predatory Cammo Slot. The suit can bend the light around itself making the suit disappear from sight. This affect is Invisabilty as the spell for up to three rounds. It can be turned on as a move action and shut off as a free action; but while in use, the first round consumes one energy point. On the second round it is in use it consumes two energy points, three energy points for use in the third round. After 3 rounds the cammo fades. Back to Table
- Razors: The suit's forearm has been formed to have a set of retractable claw type blades on one arm. This new claw attack is a light natural weapon dealing slashing damage as a short sword + Str modifier. These blades can retract and extend as if drawing a weapon. Since the Razors are attached to the suit's forearm, it's hands are not occupied, meaning it can still hold objects, but cannot attack with something in its grasp. If the suit's hands are empty, it can still initiate or oppose a grapple/pin. This slot can be taken once for each arm, but is subject to the Two Weapon Fighting and/or Multiple Weapon Fighting rules and penalties. May be improved with Enlarged Weapon. Back to Table
- Scanning Visor: Your vision improves via a complex HUD contained inside your suit. You gain your Autoplate's class level as an insight bonus to your Search and Spot checks. In addition you gain +1 to attack. Back to Table
- Scanning Visor, Improved: To take this slot ability you must have Scanning Visor. You gain the benefits of Darkvision out to 60 ft. and Low-Light Vision. By spending an energy point, you may employ the use of Detect Magic, Read Magic, and Detect Chaos, Evil, Good, or Law, as per the spells as a standard action, with a caster level equal to your autoplate pilot level. Back to Table
- Scanning Visor, Greater: To take this slot ability you must have Improved Scanning Visor. You gain the constant benefit of a See Invisibility spell from your visor, and you gain an insight bonus of +2 to the suit's attack. In addition you may spend 4 energy points as a standard action to acquire the power of a True Seeing spell. Back to Table
- Shield Generator: You gain a unique kind of masterwork buckler affixed to your arm, and attains all the characteristics of a buckler. Your shield bonus increases by +1. It may be enchanted as any shield, and can be made out of special materials or possess spikes. Like weapons, any shield mounted weapons such as spikes gain the benefit of any tracery feats you possess. Back to Table
- Smoke Screen: To obtain this Slot, the Autoplate suit must be outfitted with the Seal Cockpit Upgrade. A writhing stream of smoke billows out from the source in the suit's chest, forming a choking cloud. The Autoplate expends 2 Energy Points to activate Smoke Screen by a standard action. The cloud spreads 20 ft. + 10 ft. per size category increase in all directions and stays stationary. The cloud lasts for 1 round per Autoplate level. All sight, even darkvision, is ineffective in or through the cloud. Blindsight, tremorsense, or other ways of seeing without the use of the eyes are the only ways of "seeing" through the cloud. All within the cloud, except for the pilot, take -4 penalties to Strength and Dexterity (Fortitude negates). DC = 10 + Autoplate level. These effects last for 1d4 rounds after the cloud dissipates or after the creature leaves the area of the cloud. Spell resistance does not apply. A moderate wind (11+ mph), such as from a Gust of Wind spell, disperses the smoke in 4 rounds. A strong wind (21+ mph) disperses the smoke in 1 round. Back to Table
- Solar Beam: The Autoplate suit must be outfitted with Light Strips Upgrade first. A solar panel is equipped to the Autoplate suit. The pilot can use a standard action to blast a dazzling beam of intense light with the use of 2 Energy Points. Each creature in the beam is blinded for 1 round and takes 4d6 points of damage. Any creatures to which sunlight is harmful or unnatural take double damage. A successful Reflex save negates the blindness and reduces the damage by half. It has 3 uses before a recharge is required, and can be recharged in 2 rounds by direct sunlight or any spell with the Light descriptor to the Light Strips solar panel. An undead creature caught within the beam takes 1d6 points of damage per Autoplate class level, or half damage if a Reflex save is successful. In addition, the beam results in the destruction of any undead creature specifically harmed by bright light if it fails its save. DC = 10 + Autoplate class level. The ultraviolet light generated by the Slot deals damage to fungi, mold, oozes, and slimes just as if they were undead creatures. Light Strips can recharge the Solar Beam Slot. This Slot has a maximum range of 30 Ft + 10 Ft. per size category increase. Back to Table
- Sonic Pulse: The Autoplate suit must be outfitted with the Sounding Speakers Slot before the Sonic Pulse Slot can be grafted to the suit. The Autoplate's suit emits an ear-splitting boom that deafens and damages creatures in a 30 feet + 10 ft. per size category increase radius spread, centered on the pilot. Any creature within the area is deafened for 1d4 rounds and takes 1d6 points of sonic damage per Power Point expended. A successful Fortitude Save can negate the deafness, and cuts the damage by 1/2. DC = 10 + 5 per Power Point expended. Standard action to deploy, and the maximum amount of points that can be expended in the Slot is equal to half the Autoplates class level. Back to Table
- Sounding Speakers: As a free action, this Slot allows you to create a volume of sound that rises, recedes, approaches, or remains at a fixed place. It requires 1 Energy Point per round of use. You choose what type of sound is created when it is deployed and cannot thereafter change the sound’s basic character. The volume of sound created depends on your Autoplate class level. You can produce as much noise as four normal humans per Autoplate class level (maximum twenty humans). Thus, talking, singing, shouting, walking, marching, or running sounds can be created. The noise the speakers produces can be virtually any type of sound within the volume limit. A horde of rats running and squeaking is about the same volume as eight humans running and shouting. A roaring lion is equal to the noise from sixteen humans, while a roaring dire tiger is equal to the noise from twenty humans. A successful Will save causes disbelief of the generated sound. DC = 10 + Autoplate class level + Cha modifier. Back to Table
- Spike Launcher: To obtain this attachment slot, the suit must have the Spiked Body Upgrade first. As a standard action, the pilot can launch a swarm of its Body Spikes as a ranged touch attack at a single target within 30 ft. + 10 ft. per size category increase. This attack deals 1d8 points of piercing damage per 2 Energy Points. May be improved with Aiming Lazer. Back to Table
Upgrade Descriptions List
- Adamantine Body: At the cost of mobility, a Autoplate suit can be crafted with a layer of adamantine that provides formidable protective armor. Your armor bonus is increased to +8 and you gain damage reduction 2/adamantine. However, your base land speed is reduced to 20 feet, and you are considered to be wearing heavy armor. You have a +1 maximum Dexterity bonus to AC, a -5 penalty on all skill checks to which armor check penalties apply. Back to Table
- Additional Arm: The suit must have the Increased Size Upgrade first. An extra arm is attached to the suit and may hold a weapon, shield, or item of appropriate size. It acts just like an open hand, and may be used with other slots that require an open hand. The pilot may obtain this upgrade only 2 time per size increase from medium. Back to Table
- Aqua Shift: This upgrade can only be made if the pilot has the Sealed Cockpit Upgrade. The Autoplate has the ability to shift as a full round action from normal feet and flying jets to fins and water jets and gains a swim speed of 30ft with good maneuverability. The suit gains a depth limit of 550ft, but if Adamantium Body was chosen as an Upgrade then the suit can consume one Energy Point per minute it is beyond 550ft to resist depth damage. This ability cost 2 Energy Points to shift. Back to Table
- Bladed Lash: This Upgrade can only be equipped on a Tail Upgrade or on a Tentacle Upgrade. A blade is attached to the tail or tentacle, giving it an extra 1d6 slashing/piercing damage for the appropriate size when a successful slam or tail slap attack is made. If attached to a Tentacle or Tail, the appendage may not have the Prehensile Joints Upgrade on the chosen limb. This Upgrade may be taken as many times as the suit has an appropriate appendage to graft on to. May be improved with Enlarged Weapon Slot. Back to Table
- Core Shielding: Your core is protected from magic disrupting effects. When hit with a magic disrupting effect, such as a dispel spell or an anti magic field, normaly, the autoplate suit will shutdown until it exits the field or the effect ends. This ability can be activated as a free action. This enables you a chance to get out of the field, or negate the dispel for 1 round per Energy Point spent. Back to Table
- Emergency Battery: The suit is equipped with an extra Energy Core attached to its back. using a swift action, the pilot can turn on the battery in times of need. While active the suit's main Energy Core turns off and is charged at a rate of 2 Power Points per round. Immediately after the main Energy Core is fully charged, the battery turns off and the main Energy Core becomes active. During the charging process, the Autoplate suit is still active, but may only use 1 Power Point per round to deploy any Slots or Upgrades. The battery is subject to everything the main Energy Core is subject to, and can be used once a day. If the suit is equipped with the Energy Core Generator, the Emergency Battery Upgrade now regenerates at a rate of 3 Energy Points per round. Back to Table
- Energy Core Generator: This Upgrade can only be taken when the pilot has 10 levels in the Autoplate Pilot class, and possess' the Core Shielding and the Emergency Battery Upgrades. The Autopilot's Energy Core now regenerates two Energy Points a round. Back to Table
- Escape Pod: To obtain this attachment slot, the Increase Size Upgrade must be integrated first. As a swift action, the pilot's cockpit will eject with the pilot safely inside 20 ft per size category increased from the Increase Size Upgrade directly behind the Autoplate's suit. This does not incur any fall damage, as the pilot is safely inside the pod. The pilot cannot steer the pod in any direction, nor can he control the distance that the pod travels. This ability requires 3 Energy Points to be expended and does not make the suit inoperable if the suit can act on its own, but this ability cannot be deployed if the suit is shut down due to a depleted Energy Core or a dispelling effect. The Escape Pod itself has a Hardness of 20 and 30 HP. It is a move action to leave the Escape Pod. Back to Table
- Excavator: Crafted on its back is a large construction like shovel and drill that extends over its head while in use. As a full round action, the suit can deploy its shovel and drill to gain a burrowing speed of 10 feet per round as a medium creature. If the suit advances in size, it's dig speed increases by 10 feet per size category increase. Unlike most creatures with a dig speed, the suit can dig through solid rock instead of just dirt and loose soil. Requires 2 Energy Points to shift. Digging through soil or sand leaves no hole, but digging through rock leaves a hole that is the size of the Autoplate suit. Back to Table
- Fortification: The cracks in the armor are sealed, resulting in the suit's critical areas being protected. This Upgrade protects the Autoplate from critical hits and sneak attacks. Each time you take this upgrade, you gain +25% sneak attack/critical miss chance for fortification, up to a maximum of 100% fortification. Back to Table
- Grappling Barb: A barb is place on the suit's arm. This gives the suit the feat Improved Grapple even if the pilot does not qualify for it, yet if the pilot already possesses the feat Improved Grapple, it receives a +2 to any grapple roll. This ability consumes one energy point per grapple,opposed grapple, or pin roll. It can be taken once for each arm or tentacle, giving the suit an additional +2 on grapple checks per grappling barb beyond the first. Back to Table
- Hammer Fist Plating: Thick Adamantine armor is applied to the fists, tail, or tentacle of the Autoplate's suit. The extra hardening of the appendage causes the damage to an object, item, or construct to be doubled with a unarmed melee attack. This can be used as an unarmed Sunder attack. Back to Table
- Increase Agility: The autoplate pilot's speed increases as magic is fed into the body. He gains a +10 enchantment bonus to all movement speeds the suit already possesses. Back to Table
- Increase Core Size: Your Energy Core maximum limit increases by +2. You may take this ability multiple times. Back to Table
- Increase Size: This increases the size of the autoplate by one category, making it less like a power suit and more like a piloted robot. This ability can be taken multiple times, and has a max size of Gargantuan, but is permanent. Once the suit becomes at least one size larger than the pilot, it takes half of the damage dealt to it, and the pilot takes the other half. The suit has a HD 10, and is considered an object of its size for combat purposes. Once the pilot exits the larger suit, it and the pilot retain there own HPs. If the suit is Huge sized it has a small cargo area that measures 5x5, yet cannot be slept in without incurring the penalty that comes with sleeping in Heavy armor. A Gargantuan suit has living quarters that measure 10x10, complete with a storage and bed. The Upgrade can be only taken once for every 5 levels in Autoplate Pilot. The chart for Size Progression can be found below on Table: 2-1, as well as Damage per Size Increase Table: 2-2. Back to Table
- Intelligent System: You give your suit human like sentience. The suit shares the pilot's Int, Wis, and Cha ability score. It speaks and understands the same languages as the pilot as well. Back to Table
- Life Support: When in danger your suit protects you. This ability may be taken multiple, each time offering a new benefit which stacks with the older benefits. The first time you take this feat you benefit from the Endurance feat. If you already have Endurance or take this again you gain the benefits of the Diehard feat. The third time you take it, or if you already have Diehard, whenever you are subject to an attack which would otherwise kill you, you may expend Energy Points up to your maximum level, and gain 1d8 per energy point back in HP as a free action. This ability functions 1/day, and for each additional time you obtain this Slot after retaining Endurance and Diehard you can perform this ability 1 more time per day. Back to Table
- Light Strips: This Upgrade adds a solar panel behind the suits head, and fuels a strip on each of the Autoplate's shoulders to glow like a torch, shedding bright light in a 20-foot radius + 5 ft. per size category increase, and dim light for an additional 20 feet + 5 ft. per size category increase. If Light Strips are taken into an area of magical darkness, they do not function until the Autoplate exits the area of magical darkness. The Upgrade can be activated or deactivated with a command word, and requires 1 Energy Point to be expended upon activation. Back to Table
- Memory Bank: Taking this Upgrade once gives the pilot access to information about a given target type or terrain type via accessing the memory banks. Knowledge about the certain terrain or creature type gives the Autoplate suit an edge in a tight spot. A pilot may select a type of creature or terrain from among those given below on Table: 3-1. The pilot gains a +2 bonus on Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, and Survival checks when using these skills against creatures of this type. Likewise, he gets a +2 bonus on weapon damage rolls against such creatures. The pilot gains a +2 to Balance, Climb, Jump, and Move Silently, in addition to a +2 bonus to attack rolls while in the selected terrain. At 5th level and every five levels thereafter (10th, 15th, and 20th level), the Autoplate Pilot may select the Memory Bank an additional time and select a creature type or terrain type from those given on Table: 3-1. In addition, each time the pilot selects this Upgrade, the bonus against any one selected creature type or terrain type (including the one just selected, if so desired) increases by 2. If the pilot chooses humanoids, outsiders, or planar as a creature type or terrain type, he must also choose an associated sub-type, as indicated on the table. If a specific creature or terrain falls into more than one category of the chosen types, the pilot’s bonuses do not stack; he simply uses whichever bonus is higher. Back to Table
- Mithral Body: A Autoplate's suit can be crafted with a layer of mithral that provides some protection without hindering speed or gracefulness. Your armor bonus is increased to +5 and you are considered to be wearing light armor. You now have a +5 maximum Dexterity bonus to AC, a -2 penalty on all skill checks to which armor check penalties apply Back to Table
- Mithral Fluidity: The Autoplate's suit must be equipped with Mithral Body to gain this upgrade. Your movements are smoother and more fluid. The maximum Dexterity bonus an Autoplate suit with the Mithral Body Upgrade that apply to Armor Class is increased by 1. In addition, the armor check penalties are reduced by 1. This Upgrade can be taken multiple times. However, armor check penalties cannot be reduced to less than +0. Back to Table
- Mobile Cloak: The suit of armor with this ability Upgrade appears normal. Upon a command word and the expense of 1 Energy Point per hour to maintain. The armor changes shape and form to assume the appearance of an object if the suit is bigger than Large category or a normal set of clothing if the suit is Large size category or smaller. The armor retains all its properties, including weight, when under the Mobile Cloak. Only a true seeing spell or similar magic reveals the true nature of the armor when disguised DC = 10 + Autoplate class level + Cha modifier. If the suit is bigger than the Large category, it cannot move while cloaked, it must remain stationary or the cloak fails. Back to Table
- Motor Function: To obtain this Upgrade, the Autoplate suit must be equiped with Intelligent System first. The suit is gains Construct Type, as well as, its own motors for mobility without the pilot. Its framework allows the suit to stand and move on its own if commanded to do so, even if the pilot is not contained within. Only treat it as its own creature when it is moving separate from its pilot. Usually, the suit stays dormant unless it is interacted with by anyone or anything; meaning it is aware of the power point strain on its energy core. Sometimes they can be confused for a warforged if they are walking around without a pilot inside. The suit powers itself with its energy points, providing it doesn't use them all. Operating without a pilot consumes one point every five minutes this ability is activated. The suits activated Slots and Upgrades cannot be deployed without the pilot inside. Unfortunately during this, the ability to regenerate Energy Points does not work until the pilot activates the recharge ability by being inside of the suit. If the core is depleted of it's points, the suit shuts down for a number of rounds equal to the extra point drain below zero. Back to Table
- Motor Function, Increased: To obtain this Upgrade, the suit must first be outfitted with Motor Function. When the suit is active by itself, it can now deploy its own activated Slots and Upgrade abilities. Back to Table
- Prehensile Joints: This Upgrade can only be added to a Tentacle or Tail Upgrade, but only once per Tail or Tentacle. The Prehensile Joints allow a Tail or Tentacle to grasp and hold an item, weapon, or shield in its appendage; as well as, giving the suit a +4 to climb checks. The Tail or Tentacle now adds an effective open hand slot, but loses its ability to do a tail slap or slam attack. Back to Table
- Quadruped: The suit must have the Increased Size Upgrade first. The Autoplate suit is elongated within its appropriate size, loses both arms, but gains 2 legs. The base land speed of the suit is increased by 20 feet; as well as, receiving a +4 to jump checks, and to resisting grapple, bullrush, and trip attempts. The pilot may obtain this upgrade only 2 time per size increase from medium. After the first time the pilot takes this upgrade its effects grant a 10ft added to your movement speed, and a +2 added to toir jump checks. Back to Table
- Radar: The autoplate pilot gains blindsense out to 10 ft. Each time he takes this upgrade he gains an additional 5 ft. At level 8 and beyond, he may instead select this upgrade and gain blindsight out to 20 ft. Likewise, each time he takes it he gains an additional 10 ft. Back to Table
- Seal Cockpit: The inside of the suit becomes air tight, with it's own oxygen supply. This protects you from gases and allows you to breath underwater. Back to Table
- Shockplate: The autoplate gains a potent damage absorbing defense. The autoplate pilot gains DR 2/Magic. It can be taken multiple times if the suit is equiped with the Adamantine Body ugrade. Back to Table
- Skill Suit: You gain a +10 circumstance bonus to a single skill. This ability can be taken 3 times for a single skill that uses a physical ability. ie. Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution, maxing out at +30. Back to Table
- Spectral Accelerator: As a standard action, the Autoplate's suit can turn incorporeal. This Upgrade takes 3 Energy Points per round while it is in use. Being incorporeal the pilot and the suit has no physical body. While incorporeal, the suit is immune to all non magical attack forms. It can be harmed only by other incorporeal creatures, +1 or better magic weapons, spells, spell-like effects, or supernatural effects. After the ability is shut off, the Spectral Accelerator needs 1d4 rounds to recharge. Back to Table
- Spiked Body: Your suit's body is overlaid with hundreds of protruding spikes that can deal great damage to foes. You deal extra 1d6 piercing damage on a successful grapple attack or opposed grapple as if you were wearing armor spikes. These spikes can be altered by the Enlarge Weapon Slot, yet immediately return to their original size if the Spike Launcher Slot is deployed. May be improved with Enlarged Weapon Slot. Back to Table
- Tail: A tail is grafted on the suit's back, and gives the Autoplate a tail slap attack. It counts as a secondary melee attack with reach that does 1d4 + Str bludgeoning damage, and gives the suit a +4 to Balance checks. Back to Table
- Tentacle: A powerful tentacle appendage replaces one limb. It adds +4 to the Autoplate's grapple, and can lash out to deal 1d4 bludgeoning damage with a successful melee slam attack. The suit's reach is extended by 10 feet with the tentacle. Once a limb is replaced, the suit loses its hand slot and cannot effectively hold an item, weapon, or shield in the chosen replaced appendage. This Upgrade can be equipped as many times as the suit has arms or legs to replace. If at least 2 appendages are equipped with a tentacle, it can perform a Constrict ability after a successful pin. The Constrict ability attempts to wrench the target and crush its flesh dealing 1d6 + Str bludgeoning damage. Having more than one tentacle increases the bonus to the Autoplate's grapple and climb by +2 for each tentacle beyond the first Tentacle Upgrade. If desired, the suit can replace its legs as well, just as its arms. By replacing its legs with Tentacles, its speed is reduced by 10 feet per leg replaced to a minimum of 10 feet. Back to Table
- War Machine: To take this Upgrade you must have the Enlarged Weapon, and Enlarged Body Slots; as well as, at least one Physical Enhancer. As a standard action, the Autoplate extends and transforms into a virtual fighting juggernaut. While you use this Upgrade, you gain +4 to STR, +2 to CON, and Weapon Focus ,as the feat, to a chosen weapon upon deployment of this Upgrade. If the pilot already possesses the feat Weapon Focus, then instead, this Upgrade grants Greater Weapon Focus, as the feat. This ability uses 1 Energy Points for the first round, 2 Energy Points for the second round, and 3 Energy Points for the third round before automatically shutting off. Activating the ability takes a swift action, and takes 1d4 rounds to recharge before using it again. Back to Table
- War Paint: The Autoplate is painted with a ferocious designs to intimidate all targets within 30 feet in or out of combat. The fear invoking pattern lets the suit add it's autoplate level to Intimidation checks to cause targets to be shaken, frightened, or panicked in the appropriate order. If a target overcomes the intimidation check, it can not be tried again until 24 hours has passed. Any target that is immune to fear effects, or frightful presence is immune to the effect of this Upgrade. Back to Table
Epic Autoplate Pilot
- After 20th level an Autoplate Pilot devises a new Slot mechanism at 21st level and every 4 levels after. 25th, 29th 33rd...
- This new Slot may be chosen from the list above or may be a new invetion extending or expanding a previous slot mechanism chain. If inventing a new mechanism, you will need to discuss the details with your DM, keeping in mind that these mechanisms are supernatural technologies that only emulate magic and need a mechanical source.
- After 20th level an Autoplate Pilot devises a new Upgrade mechanism at 22nd level and every 4 levels after. 26th, 30th, 34th...
- This new Upgrade may be chosen from the list above or may be a new invetion extending or expanding a previous slot mechanism chain. If inventing a new mechanism, you will need to discuss the details with your DM, keeping in mind that these mechanisms are supernatural technologies that only emulate magic and need a mechanical source.
Epic Physical Enhancer:
- After 20th level an Autoplate Pilot installs a new Physical Enhancer at 26th and every 8 levels after. 34th, 42nd, 50th...
Increased Size Effects:
|Old Size||New Size||Str||Con||Armor/Attack||Special Attacks||Hide Skill||Reach||Breath Weapon Reach||Speed|
|Small||Medium||+2||+3||+0||+0||+0||5 Ft||20 Ft||+10 Ft|
|Medium||Large||+4||+6||-1||+4||-4||10 Ft||30 Ft||+20 Ft|
|Large||Huge||+6||+9||-2||+8||-8||15 Ft||40 Ft||+30 Ft|
|Huge||Gargantuan||+8||+12||-4||+12||-12||20 Ft||50 Ft||+40 Ft|
|Small Damage||Medium Damage||Large Damage||Huge Damage||Gargantuan Damage|
|Creature Type||Creature Type||Terrain Type|