Arcane Hawker (3.5e Class)
From D&D Wiki
The Arcane Hawker specializes in close quarter combat with the ability to cast spells from certain domains, and use time bending powers. They prefer to use hit-and-run tactics, flanking and stealth. They are often viewed by others as assassin types, with the addition of wielding powerful magic. This makes them formidable foes to anyone in combat.
Making an Arcane Hawker
Arcane Hawkers have weak HP, but make up for it in AC. They utilize both stealthy tactics and powerful physical attacks that can be devastating to enemies at short range. Their ability to cast a few spells from certain domains also makes them somewhat capable at range, though this is more of an added bonus rather than a strong point for them. Their low HP makes them vulnerable to most ranged opponents, including casters.
Abilities: The defining attribute is Dexterity, both for combat as well as bonuses to AC. A good secondary choice is either Intelligence or Constitution - Int for Spells and Skills, and Constitution to make them more capable of holding out in a fight. Third choice would then be whatever you didn't choose at second.
Races: You can find more or less any race to have followed the path of an Arcane Hawker, though it seems to be favored more by Elves and Halflings, and less by Dwarves and Gnomes.
Alignment: Any, though most prefer to be Chaotic.
Starting Gold: 4d4x10 (100gp).
|Saving Throws||Special||Spells per Day|| Power
|1st||+1||+0||+2||+2||+1 Arcane Domain, Distorion Gate, Dodge, Stealthy Strike +1d8||1||-||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||5||1|
|2nd||+2||+0||+3||+3||Fast Movement +10||1||1||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||15||1|
|3rd||+3||+1||+3||+3||Ghost Step (invisible), Stealthy Strike +2d8, Uncanny Dodge||2||1||-||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||25||1|
|4th||+4||+1||+4||+4||Bonus Feat, Poison Use, Trapfinding||2||2||1||-||—||—||—||—||—||—||30||2|
|5th||+5||+1||+4||+4||+1 Arcane Domain, Hawker Specialization, Stealth Strike +3d8||2||2||2||-||-||—||—||—||—||—||40||2|
|6th||+6/+1||+2||+5||+5||Great Leap, Mobility||2||2||2||1||—||—||—||—||—||—||45||2|
|7th||+7/+2||+2||+5||+5||Stealthy Strike +4d8||2||2||2||2||—||—||—||—||—||—||50||2|
|8th||+8/+3||+2||+6||+6||Bonus Feat, Burst Strike I, Fast Moving +20||2||2||2||2||1||—||—||—||—||—||60||3|
|9th||+9/+4||+3||+6||+6||Stealthy Strike +5d8||2||2||2||2||2||—||—||—||—||—||70||3|
|10th||+10/+5||+3||+7||+7||+1 Divine Domain, Evasion, Ghost Step (ethereal), Improved Poison Use||2||2||2||2||2||1||—||—||—||—||75||3|
|11th||+11/+6/+1||+3||+7||+7||Stealthy Strike +6d8, Time Shadow||2||2||2||2||2||2||—||—||—||—||85||3|
|12th||+12/+7/+2||+4||+8||+8||Bonus Feat, Burst Strike II, Fast Moving +30||2||2||2||2||2||2||1||—||—||—||90||4|
|13th||+13/+8/+3||+4||+8||+8||Stealthy Strike +7d8, Time Phase||2||2||2||2||2||2||2||—||—||—||100||4|
|15th||+15/+10/+5||+5||+9||+9||+1 Arcane Domain, Stealthy Strike +8d8||2||2||2||2||2||2||2||2||—||—||115||4|
|16th||+16/+11/+6/+1||+5||+10||+10||Bonus Feat, Burst Strike III, Fast Moving +40, Final Moments||2||2||2||2||2||2||2||2||1||—||120||5|
|17th||+17/+12/+7/+2||+5||+10||+10||Stealthy Strike +9d8, Timeless Body||2||2||2||2||2||2||2||2||2||—||140||5|
|18th||+18/+13/+8/+3||+6||+11||+11||Acrobatics, Distortion Field||2||2||2||2||2||2||2||2||2||1||160||5|
|19th||+19/+14/+9/+4||+6||+11||+11||Stealthy Strike +10d8||2||2||2||2||2||2||2||2||2||2||180||5|
|20th||+20/+15/+10/+5||+6||+12||+12||+1 Divine Domain, Bonus Feat, Burst Strike IV, Fast Moving +50, Foresight, Ghost Walk||2||2||2||2||2||2||2||2||2||2||200||6|
Class Skills 4 + Int modifier per level, ×4 at 1st level)
All of the following are class features of the Arcane Hawker.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Arcane Hawkers are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, as well as light and medium armor. However, the Arcane Hawker loses half of his natural AC bonus when wearing medium armor.
AC Bonus (Ex): The Arcane Hawker is exceptionally good at dodging blows, regardless of how fast they are landing. While unarmored or wearing light armor, he starts off with +1 to AC at level one, and gains an additional +1 every fourth level starting at 4 (4, 8, 12, 16, 20). If wearing medium armor, this bonus is halved, rounded down. If he for any reason should find himself wearing heavy armor, this bonus is completely removed.
Dodge: The Hawker learns the feat Dodge at first level.
Stealthy Strike (Ex): At 1st level and every other class level thereafter, if the Arcane Hawker can catch an enemy off-guard, he can strike a vital spot for extra damage.
When the Arcane Hawker strikes an enemy that is denied its Dexterity bonus (if any) to AC, he can deal an extra +1d8 damage. He can also use stealthy strike against an opponent he is flanking. The Arcane Hawker can also use stealthy strike for ranged attacks as long as the target is within 30 feet. If the Arcane Hawker makes a critical hit while making a stealthy strike, the extra damage is not multiplied.
With a sap, blackjack or unarmed strike, an Arcane Hawker can make a stealthy strike that deals nonlethal damage instead of lethal damage. He cannot use a weapon that deals lethal damage to deal nonlethal damage in a stealthy strike, even with the usual -4 penalty.
Stealthy strike can only be used against creatures with discernible anatomies; constructs, undead, plants, oozes and incorporeal creatures are immune to stealthy strike. Stealthy strike cannot be used against creatures immune to critical hits or against creatures with concealment or whose vitals are out of reach.
Stealthy strike counts as sneak attack for the purpose of qualifying for feats, prestige classes or anything requiring a minimum amount of sneak attack damage die. Also, the bonus damage from stealthy strike and sneak attack stack if they apply to the same target and all other conditions are met.
Fast Movement (Ex): At 2nd level, the Arcane Hawker speeds up their internal temporal pace to gain a +10 enchantment bonus to their land speed. This bonus is increased further at 8th level, 12th, 16th and 20th.
Uncanny Dodge (Ex): Starting at 3rd level, an Arcane Hawker can react to danger before his senses would normally allow him to do so. He retains his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if he is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, he still loses his Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized.
Bonus Feats: Beginning at 4th level, and every 4 levels thereafter, the Arcane Hawker can choose a bonus feat from the Fighter Bonus Feats list.
Poison Use (Ex): Beginning at 4th level, the complete ninja becomes proficient at applying poison to his weapons. He never risks injuring or poisoning himself while applying poison to a weapon.
Trap Finding (Ex): At 4th level, an Arcane Hawker is able use his Search skill to locate traps with a DC higher than 20. He can also use Disable Device to bypass or disarm traps. An Arcane Hawker who beats a trap’s DC by 10 or more with a Disable Device check can study a trap, figure out how it works, and bypass it (with his party) without disarming it.
Hawker Specialization At 5th level, the Hawker can choose a weapon specialization to remove any penalties for using two weapons in combat. This applies to all simple and martial one-handed weapons, but he will only remove any applicable penalties for that specific weapon (example: if he chooses Longsword Specialization, he will only remove penalties as long as he is dual wielding two Longswords).
Great Leap (Su): Starting at 6th level, the Arcane Hawker can make all Jump checks as if he already had a running start and the Run feat, effectively gaining a +4 bonus to Jump checks.
Mobility At 6th level, the Arcane Hawker learns the feat Mobility.
Evasion At 10th level, the Arcane Hawker learns the feat Evasion.
Improved Poison Use (Ex): When the Arcane Hawker reaches 10th level, he can use poison with near inhuman quickness. He can apply poison to a weapon as a move action instead of a standard action.
Meditation Beginning at 16th level, the Arcane Hawker uses the comforts and blessings of meditation to bring greater clarity and focus. Once per day, the Arcane Hawker can spend 5 minutes in a meditative state. If he does, he regains a number of Power Points equal to his Intelligence Modifier multiplied by 5.
Timeless Body (Ex): Upon attaining 17th level, an Arcane Hawker no longer takes penalties to his ability scores for aging and cannot be magically aged. Any such penalties that he has already taken, however, remain in place. Bonuses still accrue, and the Arcane Hawker still dies from old age when his time is up. If the Arcane Hawker has an inanimate body or inanimate body parts, they no longer can become rusted or old though aging.
Acrobatic At 18th level, the Arcane Hawker learns the feat Acrobatic.
Foresight (Ex) Upon attaining 20th level, the Arcane Hawker becomes a master of manipulating time to his own will. Even if he is killed, his spirit can reverse fate itself. At the cost of all of the Arcane Hawker's remaining Power Points and as an immediate action, he can reverse time around himself by reverting himself to the previous turn's hit points and position. He may activate this ability even if he is dead or helpless. Upon using this ability, it becomes the Arcane Hawker's turn and his position in the initiative list changes accordingly.
Spells: The Arcane Hawker is able to cast spells the same as a Sorcerer or Wizard is. His spells are innate, and therefore he does not need to prepare or learn spells in advance. Once he has learned a spell domain, he can cast any of the spells in that domain at his available spell level. His available spell level is decided by an Int score of 10+ Spell Level (i.e. 11 for 1st level spells, 12 for second level spells and all the way up to 19 for 9th level spells).
At 1st level, he is able to select one Arcane Domain. Select one domain from the Sorcerer/Wizard spell list, and all spells from that domain will then be available to the Arcane Hawker.
At level 5, he learns another Arcane Domain. As before, select one domain from the Sorcerer/Wizard spell list.
At level 10, he learns one Divine Domain. He can then select one domain from the Cleric's spell list.
At level 15, he learns another Arcane Domain.
At level 20, he learns another Divine Domain.
Powers: The Arcane Hawker can use special powers by trading in his Power Points. His list of Powers is as follows:
- Distortion Gate (Ex) Power Points: 5. You distort the space in front of you as you move, using it to shift forward more quickly. As a swift action, you may move up to twice your speed (including land movement, burrow, climb, fly, and swim). Distortion Gate also dispels and counters Slow.
- Ghost Step (Su) Power Points: 5. Starting at 2nd level, the Arcane Hawker can fade from sight for a brief time, becoming invisible for one round. Using this ability is a swift action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity. Starting at 10th level, the Arcane Hawker becomes ethereal instead of invisible when using ghost step.
- Burst Strike I (Ex) Power Points: 25. At 8th level, the Arcane Hawker is able to focus his powers to the extent that it deals massive damage to one single enemy. Bonus damage dealt to one enemy equals the same as Power Points used (25). If the Arcane Hawker makes a critical hit while using Burst Strike, the extra damage is not multiplied.
- Time Shadow (Ex) Power Points: 15. At 10th level, an Arcane Hawker can reverse not just the time and space around him, but around others. As an immediate action, an Arcane Hawker can use this ability to force a reroll for any attack made against him. He may use this after determining the damage. The reroll takes a -5 penalty. The Arcane Hawker can also use this ability to reroll an attack he made, with a +5 bonus to his roll. He may use this after determining the damage. The Arcane Hawker can also use this ability after determining the result of a saving throw with a +5 bonus to his save.
- Burst Strike II (Ex) Power Points: 50. At 12th level, the Arcane Hawker increases the focus of his powers, dealing improved massive damage to a single enemy. Bonus damage dealt to one enemy equals the same as Power Points used (50). If the Arcane Hawker makes a critical hit while using Burst Strike, the extra damage is not multiplied.
- Time Phase (Ex) Power Points: 20. At 13th level, the Arcane Hawker can phase forward through time. In fact, you speed up so greatly that all other creatures seem frozen, though they are actually still moving at their normal speeds. You may perform 1 full-round action, after which Time Phase ends. You cannot use any other abilities during Time Phase's duration. Any opponent you attack during Time Phase is considered flat-footed. This ability puts a great strain on the body and makes you fatigued for 1d4 rounds.
- Burst Strike III (Ex) Power Points: 75. At 16th level, the Arcane Hawker further increases the focus of his powers, dealing insane damage to a single enemy. Bonus damage dealt to one enemy equals the same as Power Points used (75). If the Arcane Hawker makes a critical hit while using Burst Strike, the extra damage is not multiplied.
- Final Moments (Ex) Power Points: 100. At 16th level, an Arcane Hawker has experienced and acquired the knowledge of his destiny. He may form a final resolve if he so chooses. The Arcane Hawker is given 1 minute to carry out his conquest. For 10 rounds, your Dexterity and Wisdom get a +8 bonus to their scores. You control how you perceive time, you get a +10 attack bonus, +10 deflection bonus to AC, and +10 to your Reflex saves. If the Arcane Hawker does not have enough Power Points, he may sacrifice his health, landing on 10% (rounded up) of his total HP. You may only use this ability 1/week and lose the ability to use Power Points for 24 hours.
- Ghost Walk (Su) Power Points: 20. When the Arcane Hawker reaches 20th level, his control over his inner powers becomes more refined, allowing him to remain ethereal for extended periods. The Arcane Hawker becomes ethereal, as if under the ethereal jaunt spell. His caster level is equal to his class level. Using ghost walk is considered a swift action that doesn't provoke attacks of opportunity.
- Burst Strike IV (Ex) Power Points: 100. At 20th level, the Arcane Hawker learned to master his inner powers in such a way that he can deal near impossible amounts of damage to one single enemy. Bonus damage dealt to one enemy equals the same as Power Points used (100). if the Arcane Hawker makes a critical hit while using Burst Strike, the extra damage is not multiplied.
Epic Arcane Hawker
|21st||Bonus Epic Feat, Stealthy Strike +11d8|
|23rd||Stealthy Strike +12d8|
|24th||AC Bonus: +7|
|25th||Bonus Epic Feat, Stealthy Strike +13d8|
|27th||Stealthy Strike +14d8|
|28th||AC Bonus: +8, Bonus Epic Feat|
|29th||Stealthy Strike +15d8|
|30th||Bonus Epic Feat|
8 + Int modifier skill points per level.
Stealthy Strike (Ex): Stealthy Strike increases by one more d8 every other level just as before, at 21, 23, 25 etc.
AC Bonus (Ex): The Arcane Hawker's natural AC bonus increases by one every fourth level (24th, 28th etc.)
Bonus Epic Feats: The epic Arcane Hawker gains a bonus epic feat (selected from the list below every five levels after 20th, with a bonus at 21st (21, 25, 30 etc.). He must still meet all prerequisites normally required for the feats.
Bonus Epic Feat List: Blinding Speed, Epic Reflexes, Epic Skill Focus, Epic Will, Extended Life Span, Great Dexterity, Improved Sneak Attack, Legendary Climber, Legendary Leaper, Self-Concealment, Sneak Attack of Opportunity