Aranac (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
Aranac's are humanoid creatures with average builds and Chitin body parts. The Aranac race was spawned by crossbreeding of Aranea in their human form and humans. Initially the Aranac never left the dark holes of their Aranea elders. But after many generations the Aranac is a completely self-preserving culture, with its own traditions and lifestyle. Though still revering their elders, the Aranac live mostly on their own, inhabiting cities taken over by brute force. This because they lack the skill of masonry and other crafts. Aranac are, unlike their elders evil by way of society. The Aranac structure is rigid and selfless. All Aranac live the same, except for their leaders and sages, which rise in power and knowledge considerably compared to the common footsoldier. The common Aranac is kept dumb, and within a rigid regime there is not much room for failure.
An Aranac has a body slightly smaller than a human, with human-like facial features. These include eyes, a crude nose, ears and a mouth with teeth. Spider-like hair grows on their heads, always in spikes. One thing that remains of their ancestors is the two pincher's originating from inside their mouths, and can be used when eating. All places where humans would have joints, Aranacs have soft tissue, used to move their Chitinous arms. The tissue between the Chitin plates is always brown of color. The Chitin can be covered by some hair as well, though for reasons unknown, many Aranac remove this hair. Chitin itself ranges in a variety of colors, from yellow through brown to deep red. Some say that an Aranac of higher ranking will gain a certain color, but reports have never been verified. Aranac have developed their own language, Aranic. It consists of a variety of clicks, some humanoid vowels and cricket sounds. The clicks are produced with the two pincher's located in their mouth.
Due to their sorcerous ancestors the Aranac has a knack for magic coming from the blood. An Aranac chooses a mate for one season (which comes once a year), after which they separate. A couple can create seven to ten eggs per season (1d4+6) All of the hatchlings are cared for by the collective group and have no direct bond with their parents, they might know them and honor them, but no more than the other Aranac's present at their upbringing. Aranac's reach full growth at three years, or thirty changings of skin (see below). In this state they continue to live until they die. A normal age for natural death is twenty years of age, though some Aranac's have seen the ripe old age of forty. Often, these Aranacs are the ones that are born with an extraordinary display of spider-like features. These special individuals are much stronger and actually possess six limbs, like a true spider and more such abilities not common to Aranac.
If an Aranac is born with extremely gross Aranea qualities they are immediately secluded from normal Aranac society and given much respect. Often these Paragons are chosen to become leaders, in which they excel.
Usually Lawful Evil.
- -2 Wisdom:
- Aranac base land speed is 40 feet:
- Darkvision(Ex): 60 ft
- Chitin Skin(Ex): gives +2 Natural AC.
- Silk Rope (Ex): Aranac's can produce up to 30 feet + 5 feet per con modifier of non-magical silk rope a day. This silk rope is produced in glands located on their rear, though many civilized Aranacs never use this ability it is still a feature unique to their kind. The rope falls apart after 24 hours.
- Spells: If an Aranac takes levels as a sorcerer or wizard it automatically knows the spells 'Spider Climb', 'Web' and 'Darkvision' when reaching the appropriate caster level due to their Aranea heritage. Wizards can prepare the spells from memory, in the same manner they can prepare Read Magic. Sorcerers can cast them as if they had the spells on their chosen spell list without actually paying for them at level-up. Spider Climb functions as normal but no material component is needed. Web functions as normal but add +2 to the DC, this inherited bonus stacks with Conjuration school focuses. No material component is needed to cast this spell. Darkvision extends the Aranac's Darkvision by 40 feet, but only when cast on themselves or other Aranacs. This spell does not function this way when cast upon other creatures with Darkvision or when cast upon creatures with no Darkvision (in which case it functions normally).
- Skin (Special): Aranac's must shed their skin every once in a while, this is a process of renewal to their species and constitutes growth. Two days before they lose their skin the Aranac grows blind as their skin peels off from their body and new skin is formed. Once the skin is off, most Aranac's prefer to let their new skin harden in the sun, a process that can take up to three days and which is much enjoyed by the Aranac. Though preferred, a single Mending spell can harden the new skin as well. After the skin is shed, the Aranac immediately regains its eyesight but is still vulnerable. It receives a -4 penalty to AC since their limbs are so soft and they are considered fatigued until their skin is cured. Time between shedding skins can range from once every two months to every half year, depending on the age of the Aranac (less often when older, interval at DM's Discretion).
- Automatic Languages: . Bonus Languages: Aranic + 1 per Intelligence mod.
- Favored Class: Sorcerer.
- Level Adjustment: 0
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||' "||+||lb.||× () lb.|
|Female||' "||+||lb.||× () lb.|