Adsecula (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
Adseculans are not, on their own, sentient. Much like lemurs that are later promoted to higher forms in the Abyss, an Adseculan inside a host only has vague and hazy memories of when it was outside the body. An Adseculan is completely driven, at least in their natural state, by the urge to attach to a creature and stay within its host. Its only fear is to be removed from the body. It usually absorbs a good many of the personality traits of its host, and sometimes even absorbs their memories and their race's abilities.
Outside the body, they appear as a viscous, greyish black substance. In this state, it is quick, but not particularly strong. Its movement to send out tendrils, or tentacles, to swing itself forward. It stays close to the ground, trying to avoid being seen, though its success is varied.
Adseculans see no value in other living creatures save as hosts. They never question their absolute authority over the mind of their victim, and after being forced into bonding with the creature, neither does the victim. The victim's personality survives the absorption, but it is put on the back-burner, so to speak, and is incapable of helping or hindering those that it sees through its own eyes, as its parasite controls it.
Adseculans are most often Neutral Evil. Though it absorbs some of the personality of its victim, it never shifts its ideology outside the Evil descriptor. This is probably for the best, as the way in which they dominate the minds of their victims leaves little room for good to take over. An Adseculan under the effect of an alignment-shifting ability that shifts its alignment to good is most likely to either detach from its host or commit suicide, somehow.
Adseculans were created by Illithids based on Thoon Parasites, and though Adseculans have long since become wild and independent of the Illithids, they are still potent foes. They come from the Far Realm, energy being forced into a form, a corrupting force to use against all that is good.
Adseculans have no religion, as when they are outside a body they are nonsentient.
Deep Speech. Bonus Languages: Any that one of their previous hosts knew. Note that only those pronounceable by their current host can be spoken.
Adseculans often have no names. When they have an enemy they consider worth seeking out from host to host, they often use the name of the first host they had prior to meeting the aforementioned enemy.
- -4 Str, +4 Dex
- Adseculans are Aberrations of the Symbiote Subtype
- Adseculans, in their natural form, are small in size. As a Small creature, Adseculans gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but an Adseculan cannot carry things in its natural form.
- An Adseculan's base land speed is 30 feet: As it carries nothing it cannot be slowed down by encumberment, and no environments hinder it.
- Absorb (Ex): As a standard action, an Adsecula (3.5e Creature) can fuse its body into that of its new host (that is, take on that creature's Str, Dex, and Con stats, while keeping its own Int and Wis scores, but the Cha scores are averaged). The Adsecula obtains complete control of the host creature until it decides to, or is forced to leave. While in this state an Adsecula has all of the creature's extraordinary abilities and class features other than those requiring an ability score above its own (for example the paladin's Lay on Hands ability if the Adsecula had a Cha score of less than 12). While in this state, an Adseculan has a +8 bonus to Bluff checks, and a -8 penalty to Diplomacy checks. To do this it must occupy the same space as its intended Host, the Host gets a DC 16 Fortitude save to resist the effect. If it succeeds on the save, an Adseculan can try again, but in the meantime provokes an attack of opportunity. If an Adseculan is in a Host when the host dies, they have a number of rounds equal to their Constitution modifier to escape or die with the host An Adsecula can only control one creature at a time (it cannot control a swarm and if it controls a creature that can multiply itself and decides to do so, it will stay in control of the original creature, and the other will be controlled by the DM like normal).
- Excise (Ex): An Adseculan in the above Absorbed state can remove itself as another standard action. This is a traumatic experience for both host and Adseculan, and the Adseculan and the host both take 2d6 points of damage, Acid for the Host and Force for the Adseculan. It is expelled in 1d10 feet in a random direction facing away from its attackers. The host need not be alive while this occurs. An Adseculan doing this must succeed on a DC 16 Will save or lose levels equal to the levels it has gained in its host's body. Otherwise, The Adseculan can carry the levels with it and use them no matter which host they are occupying (but cannot use them while not occupying a host). If an Adseculan separates from a living host, the host always retains levels gained during the time it was Absorbed. A DC 12 Reflex save negates damage to Adseculan. If a Reverse Curse spell is cast on the host of an Adsecula, it is forced to make a Will Save with a DC equal to 12 + the Relevant Spellcasting Modifier of the caster or be forced from the Host (dealing all normal damage and raising the DC to not lose levels by 2)
- Blood Transfusion (Ex): While inside a host, an Adseculan can drain 1d8 hit points from its Host. By doing so, the Adseculan gains 5 temporary hit points. It can have a temporary hit point total equal to its normal total, and anything above this causes it to split into two new Adseculans inside the host. They perform a Strength check against one another, the loser of which is immediately expelled. The one that is still within the body maintains the previous Adseculan's (the one that split into two Adseculans) memories.
- Immunity to Acid damage.
- Automatic Languages: Deep Speech. Bonus Languages: None. Automatically knows all that its current and previous hosts knew, but can only speak the ones pronounceable by the current host's species.
- Favored Class: Same as Host's current class.
- Level Adjustment: +2
|0 Months||+1d4 months -->||+1d8 months||+1d20 months|
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|1 years||years||5 years||+1d20 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||2' 4"||+1d4||10 lb.||× 2d10 lb.|
|Female||2' 4"||+1d4||10 lb.||× 2d10 lb.|