Wiki Gaming:Caves of Chaos

From D&D Wiki

Jump to: navigation, search

Back to Main PageMeta PagesDiscussions


Caves of Chaos is a 5e introductory adventure based on the classic Keep of the Borderlands Basic D&D module, run by GamerAim for people who do not need introduced to D&D. The goal is to show people a good old time from when D&D wasn't about all this railroading high-adventure pre-plotted stuff: the players and the DM make the story by making choices, and Keep on the Borderlands was a locale that enabled that to happen. It is a story that will be molded by the choices we make and their consequences. This is Dungeons & Dragons. Welcome to the Caves of Chaos.

When you post your actions, start with your character's name in bold. Don't use a header and don't sign the post (I trust you not to pose as someone else's character :)

Player Characters

NPC Henchmen

  • Gerald: Human acolyte cleric (death domain) 1. STR 15 (+2), DEX 9 (-1), CON 13 (+1), INT 11 (+0), WIS 17 (+3), CHA 13 (+1). AC 14, HP 9/9. History +2, Insight +5, Medicine +5, Religion +2. Mace, scale mail, shield, priest's pack, light crossbow and 20 bolts, potion of fire resistance. light, mending, guidance, chill touch, 1st: false life, ray of sickness, detect evil and good, purity food and drink, bless, protection from evil and good Slots 2.

The World

The world is similar to most other generic fantasy worlds, with elves and gods and magic, but with one notable difference: there are no stars. But there are some who believe in stars and join what are known as Star Cults. Most such cults are harmless, if stigmatized by mainstream society, but others are more dangerous. Navigation across distances has historically been guided by magic rather than the stars, though roads are maintained to assist in travel even at night. I don't really know how navigation works, but just assume it does.

The keep, as you'll read below, is on the borderlands of a moderately-sized empire comprised largely of humans and elves (plus half-elves). To the west are older elven, dwarven and gnomish nations in various states of stability, though travel to the west is restricted by travel over either mountains or water, and the northern and western coasts of the empire have a healthy sea trade. To the east and south are lands yet to be fully tamed; the south mainly plains and jungle far as anyone knows, and the east is wooded and mountainous. It is a distance from the base of the mountains to the east, in the hilly and forested borderlands on the edge of the empire that the game takes place. A mid-level fighter known as Lord Dyson, an ally of the Empress who was gifted some land in the past few years, holds rule over this region with his Magist Freeman, the innkeep Olaf, and Matriarch Stapledon of the local Church of the Ancestral Gods — all once a party of adventurers like yourselves.

Player Maps

NPCs

  • Lord Dyson: Lord of the keep and close friend of the Empress Gaelerion-Concord VII.
  • Magist Freeman: Former member of Dyson's adventuring group and current court magician at Dyson's Keep.
  • Olaf: Proprietor of the Traveler's Inn & Tavern. Former member of Dyson's adventuring group.

Rumors

  • Never trust an altar.
  • Be wary of your party members.
  • Dog-headed men dwell in the caves.
  • A kidnapped princess is being held in the caves.

The Game (Archive)

The Dice Room

Introduction

From the eastern reaches of the Empire of Gaelerion, sitting atop the borderlands between law and chaos, the noble Lord of Dyson Keep has sent out a call to arms to all doughty adventurers to seek out the monsters and brigands who have been raiding the wilderlands, where already few traders and settlers dear tread. To expand his influence and that of the Empress Gaelerion-Concord VII, he requests the aid of such brave peoples to venture eastward of his keep into the Forsaken Vale to locate and exterminate the threats, that you may be rewarded for your efforts with riches and experience. But beware: rumors tell of members of an evil Star Cult or worse making their homes in the caves said to house those you seek. You may well discover why they're called...the Caves of Chaos.

Day 4, October 14th/712, 2:50:18 PM

This is where I will keep track of daily things, like living expenses, healing, etc. The header will keep track of the day, date, year and time.

Storm will arrive around Day 4, October 14th/712 at 4:30:00 PM.

  • Jack Living Expenses: Free
  • Wfoz Living Expenses: Poor (1 gp, 4 sp Day 1-7)
  • In'Za Living Expenses: Poor (1 gp, 4 sp Day 1-7)
  • Decca Living Expenses: Poor (1 gp, 4 sp Day 1-7)

Combat: Round 0

This is where I will keep track of combat things, like initiative, effects, etc.

Initiative:

Death Saves (Bad/Good): Jack N/A, In'Za N/A, Wfoz N/A, Decca N/A, Stella N/A, Remei N/A, Gerald N/A

Day 4

The Keep

DM. (25 XP for Wfoz, In'Za and Jack) Decca senses that the Corporal's attitude is driven largely by common racism and distrust of strange races. Decca notices an engraving on Corporal Sterling's shoulder that signifies her as coming from the Broken Realms of the Janisary, a small province in south Gaelerion known for its vocal xenophobic tendencies and frequent attacks by humanoids. Considering their tendencies, it is surprising that the Corporal is as polite as she is about her racism. She scoffs at Decca's reply, but says nothing further.

You spend the rest of the day and the next gathering information in the keep and the surrounding homesteads.

  • The locals know little about the dog-headed beasts except that they occasionally work with larger creatures in raiding caravans and some outlying farms, but as they've only been seen at night, no one has gotten a good glimpse. Decca hears from one merchant that Lord Dyson once referred to them as "kobolds" when talking with his Magist. Rumors tell of a larger species of dog-men living very high in the caves, though you can find no one who has survived a direct encounter with them.
  • Local gossip suggests that dozens of kobolds live in the caves and are the largest population of humanoids therein.
  • The kobolds have inhabited the caves for at least a couple of years, as they were there prior to the establishment of the keep.
  • The people look away uneasily when asked to theorize as to what the kobolds might be doing to the princess. One frowns and shakes his head, while others reiterate that the kobolds have mainly raided farmsteads for livestock and caravans for food and water and the occasional hoard of shiny goods and arms and armor.
  • The locals are quite clear that there are multiple entrances to the caves, with most estimates being between 8 and 11. One hunter reports that, while in the area, he came across an opening not far from the valley where the caves are located. He says he walked down it some ways, before turning back when he heard strange sounds of moaning and shrill piping coming from deep within.
  • In'Za is able to attract Gerald, a cleric of Theokahrm, patron god of guilds/guildmasters. While normally devoted to the guild, he is willing to accompany you to keep the guild safe from incursions, as well as allow it to spread its influence. In exchange for 25% of the riches, of course. Do you agree to his terms?
  • The guild is primarily a den of opportunistic rogues, chartered by the taverner Olaf, who serves as its guildmaster. However, instead of operating as a thieves guild, it is more of a mercantile/artisans guild taking advantage of the trouble in the area — after all, who needs a protection racket when there's bandits out there to rough up caravans for you? As such, the guild houses and protects most merchants and craftsmen in exchange for a percentage of their goods.

Decca finds work as a performer at the tavern the night of the 13th at 8 PM until 2 AM the next day, making 4 GP.

In'Za. In'Za tells Gerald he will consult with the rest of his party (which he does), and return with an answer.

Wfoz. I rest for a good portion of the days, talking to people at the Inn, showing them the map, and inquiring about answers to our question. Once we have spent one night at the Inn, and the next is approaching, Wfoz gathers around the rest of the party at one of the many tables in the Inn. As we discuss our answers, and the sun sets over the bar counter and through Wfoz's spine, I voice my concern.

"Itt zeemzz likke thezre are lottz more kkoboldz thezn we inttended. Thezre couldd be whole cavve nettworkz thezre. I wizh we could get thhe informattiozn aboutt how the prinncezz is beinng held captivve, and how we can eezilyy gett to her. Meyybe, we could capturre a kkobold? If we gett the right one, it could givve us the informattiozn we need."

Wfoz is againt hiring help, since he is of the opinion that we need concrete information before making a rescue attempt again.

(In'Za is also against hiring him btw. 2 against, 0 for so far)

Decca. Decca is already playing at the tavern by the time In'Za and Wfoz come in. Between sets she makes quick conversation, "Good, sounds like we found some useful information. As for Gerald, of course we should hire him—I'm not sure why you two are opposed. Even if the fellow can barely swing a mace, any cleric would be helpful if we're fighting dozens of them, and those rates don't seem too bad."

"Capturing a kobold seems like a very good idea, Wfoz." She glances to the side, "I do have some experience with interrogation, so I could of help in that department. You might be surprised how persuasive a deku scrub can be."

Decca is sure to only briefly engage in conversation or planning between her sets. She doesn't want to make a bad impression—this is a pretty good gig, after all.

Wfoz mentions that 25% is more than our share, but agrees that it is urgent enough to enlist the help of a cleric. Wfoz approaches the cleric, and informs him of the party's choice to ask for his assistance in saving the princess. After dancing and singing into the night to Decca's performance, Wfoz falls asleep in the common quarters. As the morning comes, Wfoz puts his armor on and gathers his possessions, ready to rescue the princess again. He gathers the party and the cleric together, and leaves together to meet Jack.

Decca. Assuming In'Za has no need of Decca for the rest of the night and nothing else eventful happens, after the end of her work she'll get a quick dinner, finish a long rest in the common room, and get a light breakfast in the morning. Of course, she will fetch her mule from the stable. (While outside of a keep or other populated settlement, Decca can generally be expected to be riding her mule unless stated otherwise — lest these giants would outpace her again.)

As the four of them head off to find Jack, she introduces herself to acquaints herself with the human(?) cleric. She'd like to make an Wisdom (Insight) check to determine how this cleric feels about the party, especially if he shows any behavior suggesting nefarious intent.

Jack. (Am I right in assuming Jack found enough food while foraging/hunting to replace the lost rations?)

DM. Jack finds 5 pounds of food and 8 gallons of water, enough to last any member of the party 5 days and 8 days, respectively.

In'Za. After taking a long rest, In'Za gathers his equipment and heads to the keep gates to meet with Decca and Wfoz.

The Caves of Chaos

DM. Decca converses with Gerald, who seems more open to the idea of plant-people than others in the keep, and thanks In'Za for the opportunity to be here. He relates that him and his sister were born into a convent, though his mother died some years ago, and his great-great-grandfather died in the Battle of Castle Morningstar. He shows you his left hand, which is missing its ring finger, and he explains that its removal was a rite of passage in the convent. Decca cannot make out his intentions, but she has no reason to believe that he is dishonest in his loyalties. The trek takes just over an hour, as before, and you arrive some time after noon. There is a light wind blowing through the valley, and you can see dark clouds in the distance with several lightning bolts raining down. Jack intuits that the storm will not be here for at least a couple of hours.

(Note: Gerald is here at your behest, so he will generally only do what he is asked to do. I can control him in combat unless you have orders to give him, but he will otherwise follow you and do nothing unless otherwise asked.)

Jack. I watch as the group approaches before leaving the forest to greet them, "So ye found someone," I turn to Gerald and say, "A priest, ugh. Just don't touch me or talk to me about yer gods and I don't care what ye do." I then inquire about Wfoz's and In'Za's provisions (which I am aware of are none) and hand them both a 1 lb bundle each of meat and berries wrapped in curious leaves, "The leaf should keep them good for a while. Now let's go. Tell me anything new on the way." As I begin to start walking, I call over my shoulder, "I don't make fires, so the meat is raw." On the way, I tell them that I don't remember the names of the creatures we encountered, but I do know that I saw them serving a dragon.

(Just so you know, Jack's appearance is startling. He looks normal at a glance, but, while his face is expressionless as normal, his eyes sport a forlorn look. Despite towering over his companions, he seems to lack presence, like you'd miss him if you didn't look for him. Finally, his voice sounds weak and incomplete without the arrogant and proud ring it used to carry. Will explain in talk page.)

??? From an area not too far from where Jack emerged emerges several squirrels. It seems fairly evident they were drawn by the scent of food, as they seem to be carrying...well, something? It doesn't seem immediately apparent what exactly they're carrying. But the little animals do seem to be quite interested in where the scent led them to.

Decca. (Are we at the Caves of ChaosTM, or are we still near the keep?) "Oh, look!" Decca dismounts, her voice a tiny bit excited, "I love squirrels. I can talk to them, you know," she casually mentions to no one in particular, "With a bit of preparation, anyway. You might surprised what kind of information little rodents and birds have stored away in their brains." That said, she carefully slips towards the squirrel in an attempt to be non-threatening. She speaks softly, trying not to scare it away, "It looks like it's holding something... which.. you know... is weird for a squirrel... maybe it's an animal messenger meant for one of us?" (I'm not sure if it would be Animal Handling or Insight, but Decca would like to try to spend a moment to figure out the squirrel's intentions—or at least what it is holding.)

Jack. I turn to be greeted by a handful of squirrels chasing after me, "I knew something was following me, but squirrels? I can't even get a predator to follow me, instead I get squirrels... Great..." I mutter before watching Decca, "Animal messengers, eh? I think they just want food. Hmm," I gaze around before approaching and starting to climb a nearby tree, "Should be some nuts up here, give me a moment." I am going to climb the tree.

Wfoz. "Ohh, we arre beizng followed byy squirellz. Jackk, lett me clemb thhe ttzree! I agrree, theze squirellz wazntt tto ttell uz zometthizng." Wfoz uses his wings to flutter upwards, and arms to grapple the tree and make his way up to the nuts. Strength check with advantage, 2d20, 3, 6, is 6 + 1 = 7. Wfoz cannot manage to get his arms around the tree, and his thin wings do not seem to get him anywhere.

Jack. I watch Wfoz's attempt and call out, "Ye suffer from the same thing all creatures with wings do. Ye think that yer the master of high places. Me brother once found out the hard way that is far from true." Athletics check: 1d20; 19+4=23. I grab hold of the tree. My claws make for easy work of climbing it and in moments I am among its branches, picking out nuts, "Squirrels. I am a dracon, basically a dragon. Anything made of meat in these woods should at least be wary of me, if not fear me, but these squirrels just follow me as if nothing is wrong. Am I right? Am I really not but a bunch of lucky scales? I can climb a tree, but I cannot make even squirrels fear me..." I mutter. (Since it is October, aka Autumn, I assume that collecting nuts is easy). I then make my way back down the tree (I am not sure if this counts as one check, so I will make another just in case) Athletics check: 1d20; 6+4=10. (I'll leave this part to the DM, but regardless of how I get down, I kneel next to Decca and set the nuts down in a small pile near the squirrels and wait, whispering to Decca, "It's Autumn. They are likely collecting food for the winter. I would be, normally. Know what it is ye are dealing with and dealing with them is easy."

DM. While Wfoz cannot manage the climb, Jack does so with apparent ease and recovers some acorns from the brightly-colored orange trees by the roadside. Decca cannot discern the motivations of the squirrels, but as they run towards the pile of acorns to hoard them for the winter, they drop what looks to be an amulet comprised of a large arrowhead around fine cord. It looks to be of some value. After the squirrels scurry off into the forest, nothing else eventful happens along the path to the Caves of Chaos, and you arrive as described above, left to pursue whatever course of action you had intended.

Jack. I gaze at the clouds and state, "Storm's coming. Good one, too. Couple hours away."

Decca. "Bless you, furry things," Decca mutters before foolishly sliding the cursed amulet around her neck. Laughing softly, she looks to Jack, "Fetching, isn't it? Probably the only part of my outfit with more than a copper... I wonder why they had something like this, though?"

After riding her mule to keep up with the others, the deku scrub dismounts again shortly after arrival. "As I think was mentioned," she turns to Gerald, "The others have been here before, but I barely caught a glimpse before coming across what I at first thought were corpses..." She looks to the others, "We should prepare as much as possible. There's tons of entrances, right? So looking for a hidden one could catch them off-guard. As long as no one objects, however, I'm going to summon an unseen servant just in case we need it. I need to focus for about ten minutes to do so, but it lasts for an hour after that, and it could save our skin. The invisible servant can spring traps for us, among other little things like that. I'm not sure if any of you other folks--Gerald?--can cast rituals, but if you can feel free to join me." If no one else needs Decca for the moment, she and her mule will be a safe distance away from the apparent caves, and she will spend 10 minutes to ritual cast unseen servant.

Jack. (Are the dead kobolds still there?) I look away from Decca's amulet and point to entrance A, "The... kobolds were guarding that entrance, so that is likely either the main entrance or the entrance closest to something valuable." I take care speak softly. I walk past Wfoz and whisper, "That amulet looks nice, but keep an eye on Decca. Ye never know..." I begin to search to bones to see if I find anything and to see if I can identify any of them.

Wfoz. "Jackk, we dozntt need theirr boznez, we need to capttuzre and entterrogatte a Kkobold!", Wfoz stresed to Jack as he rolls around on the dirt and throws a few leaves over his head. Stealth, 1d20, 15 + 5 = 20. Wfoz jumps between the rocks along the cliffs, hiding and running between the stones, as he makes his way towards the cave entrance. Are there any Kobolds lurking around away from the others? Perception 1d20, 12 + 3 = 15.

Jack. I gaze after Wfoz and mutter, "Goes throough the effort of hiding himself and then runs... What happened to patience?" (Additional questions regarding the bones. How many are there and how many appear fresh? Anything interesting about them, like them being scorched, broken, melted, etc.?)

In'Za. (Sorry about not being very active, my conputer is being repaired and my phone is extremely temperamental.) May In'Za make a Arcana or Investigation check to inspect the amulet? "Decca, may I see that amulet?" If so, 1d20, 15 + 3 (Arcana) or 1 (Investigation), 18 or 16. After investigating, In'Za comments: "I agree with Wfoz. We should move onward." In'Za will follow Wfoz in a more ordered manner. Stealth (Disadvantage): 1d20 18, 18 + 0 = 18. Perception: 1d20 7 - 1 = 6.

DM. (I assume Jack is looking at the bones described in the first description of the Caves of Chaos valley?) Gerald participates in the casting of the ritual, informing Decca that as a cleric, he is more than suited for the task. The bones appear to be a mixture of humanoid and animal skills, femurs, rib cages, etc. None from a humanoid of medium size or larger. Jack cannot positively identify any of them, but does not find anything out of the ordinary about them, though he does notices some bite marks and possibly beak marks - it looks as though the bones were picked apart by animals.

In'Za does not believe the amulet to be magical, though the craftsmanship of the large arrowhead is as exquisite as the cord tied through it. The remains of the kobolds are gone, though their blood still stains the ground where they fell. They appear to have been dragged in the direction of cave E, the trail punctuated by large 4-toed footprints. Wfoz and In'Za do not notice any kobolds in the trees or around the entrance of cave A.

(Am I forgetting anything? I suggest the party wait until Decca finishes her spell before moving into a cave.)

Jack. (About how many bones are there and about how many of them are fresh?) I hiss at Wfoz and In'Za, "Get over here! Do you want to leave Decca behind? She said 10 minutes for her to do her ritual summoning that unseen servant." I turn back to the bones and continue to ponder them. (Jack is trying to determine if these are the remain of the kobold's meals, and if so, he will attempt to guess at the number of kobold from them.)

Decca is presumably too busy ritual casting to reply to In'Za, but doesn't stop him from inspecting the amulet. (If no one objects, let's just skip ahead ~9 minutes and have the unseen servant appear. I'm not really sure how ritual casting works in a PbP, but in live games it isn't a big deal.)

Wfoz. Wfoz will wait where he is, looking for Kobolds, until Decca is done.

In'Za. In'Za does the same.

DM. There is approximately 1-2 dozen bones varying 2 weeks to 2 months in age. Decca's spell goes off without a hitch. Nothing of note happens.

Decca. "Alright, hold this, Buddy." Decca directs her unseen servant to hold one of her four signal whistles. "I expect that is a simple enough object for you to manipulate. Carry it and follow me."

She does what she can to gather the others, "It doesn't seem like they've spotted us yet. Wfoz, you look like you're ready to ambush them alrready... We could try to draw them out again to fight them in the open, which would give us a terrain advantage—we could blow a whistle or make some kind of commotion they would want to inspect. We would likely lose our element of surprise in exchange for that, though. It would be the safer option for the moment, but perhaps the more difficult one in the long run." She glances towards Wfoz again, "Or we can continue searching for any alternative exits," then towards Jack, "Or any kobolds that are out foraging. I doubt creatures like that never leave their caves to hunt." (Intelligence check to see if she would know how often kobolds would leave their caves: 9 (no modifiers). If it would be an Insight check instead, a +3 bonus would instead make it 12.)

"Whatever we decide, I just want to be on the same page this time."

(At this point, assume Decca used the rope to tie her mule to a tree in a relatively secluded location she assumed to be a safe distance away from the caves.)

Jack. I nod at Decca, "Aye. Remember, I did say animals avoid here. However, they either leave the remains of past meals in the caves or elsewhere," I gesture at the bones, "There is not enough here to be from meals and I doubt creatures like them eat plants alone." I pause and shake my head, "But I also doubt that we will find any foraging. I may not have been to the caves for a few years, but I have been in this part of the forest and never found any." I then mutter, " Well, maybe I have and I'm just too pathetic to notice." I gaze off for a moment, then without looking at anyone, I speak once more, "When we enter the caves, I shall lead. The darkness does not bar me and if anything, trap or otherwise, waits hidden in our path, I will find it. Also, we will have to go without light, that could give us away, as such, if yer eyes can pierce the darkness, I'd like ye to watch our backs... As well, if we fight the kobolds again, try to kill them instantly or knock them unconscious if ye can. They fight as a pack, like wolves, each supporting the other... Now, make yer decision and let us go." (Woo. New phone and a lot less problems. Also, question for everyone. Do you feel as if I am causing problems or am just being annoying? Feel free to say whatever, I won't bite or flame anyone.)

Decca points to her faintly glowing orange eyes, "I too can see in the darkness, so I can do as suggested and keep up the rear. I walk slower then you all, anyway..." She gestures towards the signal whistle floating in mid-air, "Speaking of traps—that invisible force can press against the ground at my telepathic command, which could help us to trigger pressure plates hidden along the ground. Generally it can interact with any simple object, albeit only with a tiny bit of strength. When I've done, hm, similar endeavors before, I instruct it to press against the ground ahead of me every few steps. It's been an easy task to recast it ever hour or so."

She sighs slightly, "It's understandable if you all aren't that patient, though. That kind of progress might take a while. When you're someone like me you learn to be perhaps overly cautious."

(I think you've been fine, Agrith. I've generally enjoyed your posts so far.)

Wfoz. Wfoz leaves the cliffs where he was hiding to rejoin the rest of the party, with leaves still stuck in his spine and dirt on his thoarax. "Metz, cavvez arre wzherre I am really att home. I cann zee in the darrk and climb in cavvez. Haha, nott likke how I climbed tthatt ttree tthouugh." Wfoz will take the second position in the marching order.

In'Za. "You also lived underground?" In'Za takes last position.

Jack. I gaze at my companions before turning to Gerald, "Priest, ye will travel between Foz and whoever Decca and In'Za decide will not go last. If ye know the light spell, do not cast it unless we meet something to fight." I turn to Decca and say, "Ye cannot stalk a deer if yer in a hurry. (Modified quote from Christopher Paolini's book, Eldest.) Patience is a must here." Finally, I look to Wfoz and In'Za, "I once lived in a cave. But that was a long time ago. That is not important. What is important is whether we will seek a kobold in the caves or wait to ambush one." I let me companions decide while head over to investigate the drag marks and the odd footprints. I am going to see if I notice anything about the area before seeing what I learn from the marks and if I can identify the footprints.

Decca shrugs and files in second to last, instead of her original insinuation. "Seems like you're eager for it, In'Za." With that, it seems like the marching order will be from back to front: In'Za -> Decca -> Gerald -> Wfoz -> Jack. Unless someone stops her, Decca will be using her unseen servant to interact with the ground about five paces in front of Jack with every step he advances. (Specifically, the servant will be quietly but firmly pressing against the ground.)

DM. (The tunnel is actually 10 feet wide, so you could easily do something like In'Za/Decca -> Gerald -> Wfoz/Jack) Gerald looks at Jack, somewhat bewildered, "I cannot see in the dark as you demis can, but I suppose I can just hug the wall, dragonborn." Jack isn't proficient enough to make out anything about the footprints other than that they are large and four-toed, the foot and and toes both very round, and seem to follow the drag marks towards the cave on the other side of the valley, the sharp-heels of the kobolds making a clear cutting stroke through the soft and fertile dirt.

The interior of the cave is dark, and though that poses no issue to any of you, Gerald clings uneasily to the right side of the rough-hewn tunnel from which you hear intermittent high-pitched talk. Jack sees that the tunnel diverges ahead, offering two different paths, and sees several planks poke out of a pocket chamber to the northeast. However, he fails to notice the pit trap just ahead, only being alerted to its presence after Decca's unseen servant presses down on the lid and plummets downwards before the lid snaps back shut, trapping it within. From both directions, you hear excited chatter and movement from creatures preparing to attack. (PC map updated. Also, I'm thinking of setting up a Roll20 campaign or something mostly for my own use, to keep track of location on the map. If I do, I'll share it.)

Meanwhile, Stella and Remei, having met on the road awhile back and felt their similar worldviews would befit their journeying together, have just arrived at the valley of the Caves of Chaos to witness what looks like an armored figure enter cave A.

Jack. Outside caves I give a sigh. The track were unfamilar. That never boded well. I give a low laugh at Gerald's response, "If we use light, we will be obvious, especially with me green scales against gray rock." I approach the entrance and call out, "Cave's wider than we thought," before entering.

Inside caves I hiss when the pit fall trap is triggered, "Great... I miss a-" I cut myself off when I here the telltale sounds of creatures. I crouch and press myself against the right wall, whispering for my companions to do the same. As I do, I also slowly back away from the trap.

Decca was pleased her servant was of use, only to jolt suddenly at the sound of foreign beings. She follows Jack's lead and hugs the wall; her hand firmly but quietly guides Gerald to do the same. She will ready an action: If a kobold-like creature she can see comes within 20 feet of her, she will make a seed shot attack against it.

Stella "Oi me furry friend. Think e's up to sumtin? Cause i shur do." Stella says kicking her back legs. She then suggests that we should wait a moment to see if he comes right back out and if he doesn't that we should follow him in to see what he's up to. She also takes a moment to examine the surround to ensure they're not being watched (Perception roll 4+2= 6). If she doesnt see anyone she will remain adamant about her first plan and wait for 20 minutes or so for him.

Wfoz.. Wfoz follows his companions, hugging the wall and searching with his antennae for kobolds. He takes a ready action to attack the first kobold he sees with his crossbow, darkvision 60ft., blindsight 15ft.

Remei. "Hmmmmmm. Stay here and keep watch, I want to see what's happening". I dart silently roll 8+3=11 to the cave entrance and peer inside (Darkvison 60ft) perception check roll 12+1=13

In'Za. In'Za presses himself against a wall and readies an action to attack any approaching kobolds with a javelin (darkvison 120ft). He peers outside Roll: 3 - 1 = 2 he sees nothing.

Jack. Remembering our earlier conflict, I ready a dodge if anything attacks me. Stealth ckeck to avoid being spotted immediately: 1d20; 7+4=11

Stella "Good plan me freind! just holler if you need me to com' a rushin' in" Stella will then ready an action that if Remei yells for her she will take a Dash action into the cave. She is currently armed with her shield and battleaxe. Other than that she will continue to stand guard outside until her friend returns (Passive Perception= 12).

Remei. I turn my head briefly and nod once to Stella, whilst dipping my ear tips rapidly twice in acknowledgement. Whilst this is a common enough gesture of silent agreement in Stoatese, I don't expect my new friend to pick up on it yet without these unsubtle human gestures to reinforce them. My left paw is ready on the hilt of dagger, just in case of sudden attack.

DM. Remei spots the rest of the party press themselves up against the wall and hears the scurrying of little feet and shrill voices echo from within the cave. As soon as the kobolds leave their alcove to the northeast, Wfoz, In'Za and Decca attack. Wfoz and Decca hit, but In'Za's javelin flies over the heads of the kobolds. Wfoz strikes down one of the kobolds while Decca seriously injuries another one. Jack and Wfoz see a large rat leading some smaller rats down the western tunnel, coming in at about 15-20 feet away. (Round 1 of combat, initiative has been rolled and time has been set.)

DM. (Current battle map here. Battle map not required for play, but I'm sharing it for those who want it. I made it for my own use. Kobolds and rats are named. Frog is Jack, bugbear is Wfoz, green guy is In'Za, armored guy is Gerald, plant is Decca, goat is Remei, centaur is Stella. Sorry, but those were the most appropriate tokens I could find on such short notice. Line of sight is cut off from being around the corner.)

Jack. I am going to slam my foot on the space in front of me, in hopes of triggering the trap again (I am not trying to enter the space). (If that did not use my action, I am going to attack whatever kobold is in front of me (2 attacks with bonus action). Attack 1: 1d20; 2+4=6 Second attack: 1d20; 13+4=17

Stella Rolls a perception check (1+2=3) to see if she has noticed the sounds of battle yet considering she probably hasn't she calls out to her new friend impatiently to see if he has seen the man yet. "Oi! You see anything yet."

Remei I lean back out of line of sight of the cave, twisting to face my unsubtle friend and gesture wildly, miming frantic stabbing movements and chattering my teeth like rodents in a rather desperate attempt at mime...

Stella "I've got yer back friendo. Here I come!" Im going to use my Burst of Speed ability to take a Dash action as a bonus to run up next to Remei. I should also note that i do not have darkvision and therefore will only run up to my companion and not into the cave.

(It isn't your turn, you can't move or take actions. You can usually talk and stuff (if DM says so), but I don't think you can move except on your turn.)

Jack. (Stella is in the initiative list. I would assume she moves on her turn, after almost everything else. I mean, so far, anytime we've said we do some action, it is assumed we did it on our turn.)

Wfoz. I move 3 diagonal squares to the top left, and begin dueling kobold 3. 1d20, 9 + 5 = 14.. Hit. 1d8 + 1d6 + 3 = 3 + 2 + 3 = 8, for 8 points of damage. "Metz! Thezre arre otherr advveznturrez herre!" Wfoz yells back to the party, after looking down the tunnel.

Jack. (3 spaces diagonally to the top left puts you near the rats, but not close enough to attack one. Kobold 3 is far out of reach of melee attacks unless you head to the right onto the pit fall trap.)

In'Za. In'Za rushes to the front lines next to Jack and throws a javelin at one of the dire rats (keeping his shield drawn). Roll: 7 + 3 = 10. Damage: 2 + 1 = 3

Wfoz. (Wfoz is using his crossbow. Is the figure in the top left a monster or not? It does not have a HP bar on the grid.)

Jack. (If I am right, the figures in the top left are a rat and the dire rat and I forgot Wfoz had a crossbow.)

Decca moves 5 feet northwest and 5 feet north, putting her right behind In'Za and Jack. From this vantage point, she will make a seed shot attack if she can get a clear shot at a kobold; the most damaged one if there are several.

Seed shot attack: 1d20, 20 + 5 = 25. Critical hit! Bludgeoning damage: 2d4+3, 2 + 4 + 3 = 9.

She shouts towards the human, "Gerald, cast that chill touch!" Decca will use her bonus action to inspire Jack, saying something like, "Rip out its throat, Jack!" After saying that, though, she will retreat 15 feet due south.

Remei.As the passageway ahead is already filled with fighters, I stay at the cave entrance, updating Stella what's happening within: "rats and strange dog-dragon creatures are attacking them!" (I assume I don't necessarily recognise kobolds). I appraise the rocks around the cave entrance to see if I could quickly scramble above the entrance, to find a place where I could still see into the cave, and be ready to drop down onto any kobolds that get past the main party and out of the cave. To Stella: "think we could climb up there? Drop on any that escape?"

DM. (The figure in the top left is a rat, but the line of sight block is obscuring the health bar. If you pay close attention, I think you can see the bottom of the bar.) Wfoz jumps over the trapdoor and spins on his insectoid heel-equivalent to face the kobolds, letting off a crossbow bolt that pierces its flesh and sends it hitting the floor. Rat 12 comes up from behind Wfoz and bites through his leather armor for 1 damage, while Rat 11 is unable to chew through it. In'Za skewers the dire rat, and more rats move in from behind. Kobold 5 climbs over his companion's corpse and swings at Jack, but misses. Jack's strength is insufficient to smash open the trapdoor with his foot, but is more than sufficient to knock Kobold 5 dead in one punch, and piles on top of the first corpse. Decca moves in for the kill and blasts a small hole through the already-injured kobold 2 and he slumps to the ground. Gerald moves forward and closes his eyes, reaching outwards with his left hand to project a ghastly skeletal hand which snakes around the corner and grabs the neck of kobold 6, turning its skin a deathly grey before dropping it like a sack of stones. Kobold 4 runs off further down the tunnel, leading you to fend for yourselves against the rats.

Remei thinks the rocks around the cave mouth could be easily climbed, and makes out what looks like the marks of claws climbing it many times over.

Jack. "I can do more than that!" I sar, looking at Decca. I laugh and follow Wfoz, leaping over the trap. I then roar, intending on driving off the rats. Intimidation check: 1d20; 18+1=19.

In'Za. "Don't let the kobold get away!" In'Za runs to the retreating kobold and attempts to grapple it with his free hand. (he's still holding his shield). Roll: 1 + 3 = 4

Stella "A'course we can! Climin's a specialty of the Mitocabra. Lead the way friendo. Jus remember i don see to well in the dark!" When it comes to my turn I will follow Remei to climb the cave walls and will attack any enemy i stop within range of with my battleaxe (Attack Roll 16+4= 20) (Damage 2+2= 4 Slashing)

Decca follows the lead of In'Za and considers giving chase.

  • If her movement (25 feet) can put her within 30 feet of the kobold, Decca will chase the kobold with all her speed and attempt to cast minor illusion in front of it in an attempt to halt or at least slow its movement. The image she would select is a 5-foot wall layered with spikes, designed to look like some magic wall manifestation the kobold couldn't move through.
  • If this movement wouldn't put her within 30 feet of the kobold, Decca abandons the idea of chasing it, and instead casts vicious mockery on one of the rats (Wisdom saving throw DC 13).

Remei I quickly scale the wall, finding a position where I can see into the cave but am largely hidden from those within. (I'm assuming with the outside light dazzling anyone looking out I'd now be difficult to spot for a casual observer). I admire the "nifty hoof work!" of Stella as she joins me, and in a low voice narrate whatever I can see going on. I'm assuming over the sounds of battle we could carry out a low conversation without being too obvious? (DM, are we just curious travellers watching this strange party fighting or have we also been busy given the back information and accepted the quest?) If we came to these caves in the same quest as the others, I'll suggest to Stella we go and help them mop up the rats, but if not, I think I'd rather sit out this battle and discuss with Stella whether we join this motley crew.

Jack. (At the moment, the rats and Wfoz are around a corner. I don't think you can see them.)

DM. (I'm assuming Stella and Remei are above the mouth opening, staring upside-down until the mouth cave? They can't see the rats, but they can still hear fighting. And yes, Remei and Stella are also here to clear the caves :) But you spent this round climbing up a wall, so you can suggest helping, but can't help yet.) Remei successfully climbs above and looks through, observing as the battle rages on and Decca runs down the corridor out of sight. Decca chases after the kobold and casts an illusion of a wall in front of him. Jack leaps over to scare the rats, but they are unfazed by his display. Rat 12 bites through Wfoz's armor for 2 damage, but rat 11 misses Jack. In'Za hurries down the stone hallway, still out of reach of the kobold.

(Just waiting on Wfoz. And I noticed I forgot to roll kobold initiative this round, so he'll go last.)

In'Za (If In'Za is still out of reach of the kobold, can I take the Dash action to move ahead of it instead of the Attack action?)

DM. I will allow it.

Wfoz. I begin dueling the nearest rat with my rapier. 1d20, 5 + 5 = 10. I swing my rapier into the rat's flesh, dealing 1d8 + 1d6 + 3, 5 + 3 + 3 = 11 points of damage.

DM. Wfoz skewers rat 12 with his rapier, and rat 1 moves in to take its place, but it fails to damage Wfoz. The remaining kobold stops in front of In'Za and looks at him in the wall, then back at Decca, and drops his weapons and falls to his knees and starts whimpering. He points back down the tunnel, "Raks sab." he makes a stabbing motion and points at himself, "Raks sab?"

Rat 1 bites clean through Wfoz's armor, damaging him for 2 points.

Decca lets In'Za deal with that kobold. Standing her ground, she turns to the rats and casts vicious mockery on one of them (DC 13 Wisdom saving throw).

In'Za. In'Za steps out of the wall and readies an action to grab the kobold if it tries to escape.

Jack. I snarl at the rat in front of me. "That was a good roar!" I attempt to stomp on it, 1st attack: 1d20; 15+4=19 Hit. 1d4; 2+2=4 bludeoning damage. "And youe act as if nothing happened!" I slash at the next rat, 2nd attack: 1d20; 1+4=5, Critical Fail. (Jack is a litfle annoyed at the moment and he stepped on the first rat.)

Stella hollers into the cave. "If yer wantin help from me. Youll ave to gimme a light cause i cant see in the dark!" She then turns to Remei and explains that it goes against her moral code to not help those in need.

Remei. I tell Stella that two of them have disappeared down the right hand passage and the rest seem busy on the left..."Haven't got any light for you though. Better wait for some and watch your step, there's a trapdoor just before the corridor splits" I leap down and dash down the corridor and over the trapdoor and I will scoot to the right hand side and past Decca to join In'Za. (I'm not sure how far down the corridor In'Za now is but with dash I can cover 80ft climbing/running in one round I believe).

Decca whips out her rapier and nearly makes a stab at the weird lanky creature as it apparently sprints through the chamber, but in her confusion hesitates just long enough for the weirdo to pass by.

DM. Rat 11 bites Jack for 1 damage. Decca psychically slays rat 1, but rat 10 takes its place and hits Wfoz for 1 point of damage. Gerald casts light on his weapon and stands his ground, illuminating the passage in a 20-foot radius. Remei runs down the passage and stops behind the kobold. Jack smashes rat 11 to death. The kobold continues to kneel, holding his hands out in surrender and whining.

Decca unleashes another vicious mockery upon another rat in the hoard, wondering if the beast can even understand her insult of, "You hair-covered excrement, I can smell you from here!"

Stella "Now that's more like it!" I will move to the nearest enemy within my sight line and attack them with my battleaxe (4+4= 8) for ( 1+2= 3) slashing damage. If their is not an enemy that I can move to I will move up to Gerald.

In'Za. In'Za looks in surprise at the stoatlike creature sprinting towards him, but when he realises she isn't hostile, he springs into action. "Guard the kobold, I'll fight off the rats." Persuasion check 8 + 3 = 11 In'Za runs next to Jack and attacks the rat he missed. 6 + 3 = 9, 5 + 1 = 6 Slashing damage on hit.

Wfoz. I run to the kobold, provoking the rats to attack me, and wrestle it to the ground. Athletics, 1d20, 19 + 1 = 20.

In'Za. Seeing Wfoz sprint past and tackle the kobold, In'Za shouts to him "Don't kill it!" before attacking the rat.

Remei. I look down at the peculiar dog headed creature now writhing on the floor and am filled with a strange mix of pity and loathing. It's features remind me of the wolves that stalk my memories and yet I can see it's fear. Insight check to understand it's gestures. 17+1=18 (do I get a +2 as I'm proficient in animal handling?)

Jack. "Ah, ye little rat!" I curse as the rat successfully chews past my scales right before I smashed it. I'm surprised at In'Za's sudden intervention, but I only nod at him, before turning to have a little fun. 1st attack: 1d20; 20+4=24 Crit! 2d4; 6+2=8 bludgeoning damage I attack the first rat I can reach wth the intent to smash it to a bloody pulp, before slashing at the next one. 2nd attack: 1d20; 19+4=23 Hit. 1d4; 2+2=4 slashing damage Finally, I glance around to see what was happening, "A mitocabra, eh? Welcome to the fun!" (The kobold are reptiles, but at a glance or if seen poorly, they resemble dog-headed humanoids.)

DM. Rat 5 bites Jack for 1 damage. Wfoz pins the kobold to the ground and it whimpers as its face is shoved into the dirty rocky ground. Decca slays rat 10 with her mind magic, prompting many of the rats to turn tail back where they came from. Gerald moves to the corner to take a better look at the rat scene. Remei infers from its motions that the kobold was trying to communicate that it was willing to help kill the rats, presumably in return for its life. Stella moves in as far as Gerald at the intersection of the passage, to be greeted by a gruesome scene of piled corpses and smashed rat guts, with other adventurers moving, weaving and bobbing in the heat of battle. In'Za moves 35 feet down the passageway, trying to reach the rats. Jack smashes rat 5 into a bloody pulp, but cannot reach any other rats.

Wfoz. "Metz, I gott a kobold!" I yell over the fleeing rats and their skittering squeeks. I will take the hempen rope out of my backpack while the kobold is grappled, and tie the kobold up with it. "Gett ovrr herr anzd hellp me witth this kobold!" Once the kobold is tied up, Wfoz can stop breathing so heavily. As I get up off the hard ground, I see Stella and Remei for the first time. "Who azre you, and azre you tryizng to hellps the prinzezz? Arre you goizng to huzrt uz?" This makes Wfoz notice that his scratch marks hurt a little, and he asks about them. "Cazn aznyozne helps spattch me up? Itz not too bad, but itz not nicz drippzng fliudz!" Now, more directly to the party, Wfoz asks them. "Cazn anyozne spzek to the kobold?"

Decca readies an action to viciously mock another rat if it comes forward or attacks Jack. She won't attack if the remaining rats all flee in the other direction.

In'Za. In'Za runs back to Wfoz. "I can help with that." In'Za uses Lay on Hands to restore 4 HP to Wfoz.

Remei.To Wfoz, with a gracious incline of the head in greeting "I'm Remei, and my mitocabra friend there is Stella. We've also come to find the princess. I can't speak his language (motioning towards the bound kobold) but I think he was offering to help against the rats...." Peering closer at it "what IS he? He's scaly, like a snake.." I study the kobold with interest and crouch down alongside him, momentarily forgetting everything else. "He looks afraid, but his mates attacked you..Are they normally vicious or are they simply protecting something?" I mutter more to myself, now.

Jack. (I guess I didn't specify that Jack moved between attacks last round. Oops.) I will run and leap across the trap to join the others if rats are not still threatening me (if they are, I will continue to attack them). With a slight limp, I approach and say, "Those rats didn't even flinch at me roar. I haven't roared like that in years. If they didn"t care, then what has caused them to be like that?" If someone tries to heal me, I fend them off saying, "I don't need it. I can deal with this. I'm only limping because of pain. Me kind is a litte sensitive to that, but it is far from enough to stop me." I then turn to Remei, "I'm not familiar with yer kind, but yers," I turn to Stella, "I am. I used to live in some mountains far to the southwest. There was a mitocabra village on the edge. They were nice, but even back then I could have beaten two of their warriors alone. That didn't stop me helping out once in a while. They let me know when that king," my voice when I say 'king' is full of utter disdain and hatred, "decreed that all dragons were to die. He even offer rewards! I haven't seen them since. That was 274 years ago. I wonder how they are doing... Do ye know? But what am I saying? Even if ye were from that village, ye look too young to have met me and I doubt they still remember me." I shake my head before saying to the group, "The kobolds speak Draconic. It goes without saying that I do, too."

Stella "Well nice tmeet yall, and no me friend I aint have no hostilities fer yer kind. Mitocabra are fickle though. One of me pops bannerman stabeed him in the back fer a couple pieces of silver. I swear if I ever find em." She clenches her fist and takes a deep breath "But enough a all that. What are we doing with the snake kobold thingy?"

In'Za. In'Za steps forward. "We should let it live. It may have useful information."

Jack. "Aye, later. Perhaps I know yer father's bannerman... and maybe yer father, but enough of this," I move to stand over the kobold and say, in Draconic, "You. What is your name?" My tone brokers no argue. (Malcior, just so you know, I personally love link characters to other character's backstories or the adventures backstory (or both). It adds interesting elements into play. Just let me know if you don't want Jack knowing Stella's father.)

Stella (I'm fine with and encourage linking so go right ahead) Stella says to In'Za "Don't worry me and me friendo came to help ye so were not here to muk up your plans friend." She smiles warmly at the party. "And thanks for the light boyo" she says to Gerald

Wfoz. "Itz reelly nice to kznoww your not here to hurt uz. Kznowwing that your lookizng for the prinzezz too iz greatt. Want to workk togetther? Lazt time we tried alone, we got hurtt reallzy bad." Wfoz stands the kobold up, and makes sure he is not trying to fight or be unresponsive. "Jackk, can you enterrogatte the kobold here, or should we takke him outtzide the cavves? We need to learzn wwhere the prinzezz iz, why the koboldz capturred her and let her livve, and alzo the eaziest way to rezcue her."

Jack. "I can do so here, but leave it alone. Until I say otherwise, it only looks and speaks with me." I turn to the kobold and, in Draconic, "Ignore them. Unless I say so, you look and speak to me and me alone. Otherwise..." I pull back my lips into a cruel mockery of a smile, "Now, back to my earlier question."

DM. The kobold whimpers and speaks in draconic, "Nogi kriil hokoroni rakke. Hi komeyti Nog lahney? Sab sab rakke. (Nog help kill rats. You let Nog live? Stab stab rats.)"

Jack. (Are you using the draconic translator from online or making it up on the spot? If it is the online translator, I'll use it, too.) I shake my head and, in Draconic, say, "Rats are no threat for now. But I've met your kind and I've always wondered... how do you taste? Perhaps Nog could help with that." I give it that same cruel "smile," "Or maybe you could answer some questions. After all, I suppose I could find something else to eat..."

DM. (I'm using a fill-in-the-gaps Elder Scrolls draconic language. You can use it, another, or none at all. Your choice :) ) "Nog ofan him laani! Nog laan aaz. (Nog answer your questions! Please have mercy on Nog.)"

Jack. "Zi algbo. (Very well.)" I sigh, seeming as if I was disappointed, "Irral, tira dout cirau siteli vi upadoc munthrek vur tiric jaciv waph? (First, did your kind capture a female human and does she live?)"

Stella (To Wfoz) "I thinks its a great idea friend! We can get more accomplished if there be more of us." She chortles. "I'm Stella! I enjoy drinking and defendin the weak" She sticks out her hand abruptly.

DM. "Mu gahrotaak bronjuni kulaas fah sonaak. Nog ni mindok siivaak kulaas. (Tribe kidnapped princess of the mountain men for priest. Nog not know where princess found.)"

Jack. "Ui nomeno svitran loaw? Vur re astahii wer dril ihk wer thirkuic persvek wer caesin? (Is this priest alone? And are they the reason for the changes in the forest?)"

DM. "Nog ni sonaak. Nog ni kopund brojun. Nog ni gahrot kulaas. Nog ni minok. (Nog not priest. Nog not kobold king. Nog not kidnap princess. Nog not know.)" He points back towards the entrance of the cave, "Kulaas ni het. Kulaas siivaak sonaakke. (Princess not here. Princess with priests.)"

Remei. I've backed gradually away whilst Jack speaks to the Kobold. I offer my paw to each of the others in turn, speaking quietly: "I'm Remei. What is your name?"

In'Za. "My name is In'Za. Are you a warrior?" In'Za is confused by the lack of weaponry.

Decca exchanges only a brief greeting with the two newcomers, introducing herself only as Decca; she is clearly not comfortable with either of them. Seeing as the rats seem to have fled entirely, and Jack has begun interrogations already, Decca will retreat a short distance in the direction from which her group came. While keeping watch, she will take the time needed to ritual cast a new unseen servant.

Jack. "Wux vucot svabolen waere wer wanotreyxkaiv ui persvek? Kii jahus nomeno waere shivia vur svanoa throden di dout cirau waph tenpiswo? (You know which cave the princess is in? Why was this cave guarded and how many of your kind live here?)"

Remei. I smile at In'Za. "Not a warrior, no. A Runner. I rely on speed, stealth and agility, and prefer to avoid trouble wherever possible. But I can take care of myself." Leaning closely in I incline my head slightly towards Decca and speak very softly: "Your companion seems wary. Do you think it would help if I told her I was a carnivore? Maybe she's worried I'll nibble her foliage..." I suppress my smile and greet Wfoz, whose cheerful enthusiasm reminds me of my effusive travelling companion, Stella.

In'Za. In'Za suppresses a laugh. "I see. Well, I look forward to seeing you in battle." In'Za leans against the cave wall and begins pondering battle strategies.

DM. Gerald follows Decca outside to participate in the ritual, leaving Stella bathed in darkness. Nog counts on his fingers, then shrugs, "Nog ni mindok ka siivaakke ko. Nog ni mindok pogaanaan kopundde ko ka. Nog ni kopund mu pogaan alok. (Not not know cave priests in. Nog not know how many kobolds in cave. Not not kobold tribe counter.)"

Jack. "Hmm. Kobold aren't that intelligent." I nod and look at Nog, "Svaklar ui dout maekrix? Si geou ti ouith astahi sjek astahii tir ti ouith ve. (Where is your leader? I will not hurt them if they do not hurt me.)"

Stella "Hey! Who put out the light!" Stella will place her hand on the wall and try her best to head toward the entrance of the cave. "Pop always said i shoulda eaten me carrots sos i could see better" she chuckles as she walks.

In'Za. In'Za helps Stella out.

DM. Nog points in the direction of the illusion wall, "Kopundde brojunu nol qethsegol. Aaz, aaz! (Kobold king behind wall. Mercy, mercy!)"

Jack. "Stharl tenpiswo vur zexenuma halkvri si renthisj mrith wux tenamalo. (Sit here and stay until I speak with you again.)" I turn to my companions, "Nog, the kobold here, is an underling, but still useful. The kobolds capture the princess on orders from some unknown priests," Jack gave a low growl, "but knows nothing about them save that they are not in this cave, but another one. This cave leads to the kobold king on the other side of this wall. It is likely an illusion or has a secret door (Jack never saw In'Za cast the spell nor has anyone mentioned the wall to him). The king may have more information. I say we go and speak with this king, however, Nog does not know how many kobolds there are, so perhaps we can use him to get in."

DM.The kobold sits and quitely whimpers. (Decca actually cast the spell. And 35 xp for everyone.)

Stella "Thank you..errrrr Insa was it. I'm awful with foreign names" She gives out a big bellied laugh. "Id be happy to come with ye and help I jus hope I dont slow ye down to much since i cant see in the dark. However me new friend can see in the dark and hes a mighty quick fella."

(Remei is female, also yay exp)

In'Za. "I'm also rather bad at Common pronunciations. I'm sure you'll be a useful asset to our unit as well. The cleric Gerald should be keeping that light going if he knows what he's doing."

Wfoz. I ponder what Jack tells me. "Jackk, tthaznkz for talkizng to that kobold. Zinze we kznow know the kizng is here, I agree with you. Lets go find him, and try diplomazcy if we cazn."

Jack. I nod and turn to Remei, "I am Jack. Jack of the Forest. The forest ye traveled through me home to get here. Do anything too it beyond what is needed and there will be reckoning. Yer called Remei? And yer a Runner? Hmm. If ye have any skill in stealth, I want ye to check out the other caves. Take anyone ye think ye need, but I wouldn't bring Foz, he has a poor idea of stealth." I turn to Wfoz, "Nog spoke of a tribe counter. They might be one of the smarter kobolds. But if so, then the king is likely to be one of the stronger kobolds, meaning we might be able to win the kobolds' respect if we prove our strength and preferably not kill the king as he has information we need."

In'Za. In'Za returns to the caves after helping Stella out and tells Gerald to guide her back in when he's done.

Remei. I nod to Jack. "I shall do as you ask". I briefly explain to In'Za and Decca that I'm going to scout out the other caves and will catch the party up later.

Stella "Oh yes don't involve me with non a yer sneaking about. I can sneak if I has to but im not all that good at it. Im more of a smashing faces girl meself." She laughs loudly

(I am terribly sorry I missed that companion lol)

Decca just continues casting, presumably with the aid of Gerald. "Scout as you will, but considering what happened to a party of three the other day, I will stay here—within earshot of the majority of the group."

Jack. "Ye, Stella, can come with Foz, "I glance at the overgrown bug, "And meself in confronting the kobold king if we can get ye some light. The priest might help with that... Heh. I was much like ye. Before i lived the Fellgrim Forest, me answer to anything was to rip it apart if it was even slightly hostile. Living in a forest for well over 200 years has vastly changed that."

Stella "Sounds like a plan, just tell me when and ill come along wit ya! Also im not all brawn, its just me favorite part of me. Me father thought to much and now hes dead just like his friends. I intend ta make sure no one else goes through it like he did. Ill be like a weapon for ye. Just unsheathe me and swing!." She says as she holds her battleaxe high kicking her back legs all the while.

Wfoz. With Jack, In'za, Stella, and myself left in the kobold cave with the bound kobold, I let the rest of the party know that I am not really good at finding hidden doors, so I will help a party member investigate the wall.

In'Za. (Do you mean the illusory wall? If so): In'Za turns to Wfoz. "That wall was created by Decca when we were chasing Nog. It's an illusion, we should be safe to walk straight through it."

Remei. I pause at Decca's comment. "What happened? What did you encounter?"

Decca gives pause, looking up into Remei's eyes. (I imagine at this point Remei, Gerald, and Decca are near the entrance to the south of the map. Meanwhile Wfoz, Jack, Inz'a, and Stella still around a corner or two where the kobold was initially captured, to the east of the map. I assume from this distance we can hear each other conversing, but not make out specific words without shouting.)

"I believe I already told Gerald a bit of this story. Wfoz, In'Za, Jack and I first ventured here the other day. For reasons related in part to the fact I was the only one with a mount that needed stabling, I was left behind. By the time I caught up with the others, they were... injured, to say the least. I didn't pry, but it seemed remarkable they survived against the kobolds they fought." Her eyes narrow towards Remei. "If anything, that is a painful lesson in caution." With that said, Decca returns to the components of her spell.

Jack. "When Decca and the priest get back, we will decide what we are all doing. But for now... Stella, I heard ye say someyhing about yer father telling ye to eat carrots, aye? The village I lived near often asked me to come check out an area bevause I could see in the dark. One even asked about how this was and I remember joking about eating lota of carrots. Hmm, what was yer father's name?" While I talks, I will start checking to see if the kobolds are dead and if they have anything on them and, for Nog's "benefit," will occasionally tear off a small chunk of meat from the kobolds' bodies and eat it. (Also, Jack seems more confident, his voice regaining its arrogant and proud ring.)

In'Za. "It's bad manners to eat your enemies, Jack." In'Za jokes with a sharp-toothed grin.

Remei.I nod thoughtfully. "I take your point. I had hoped I could merely outrun any trouble but I think you speak wisely". I return to Jack, and glancing at the Kobold he is intimidating, say quietly- "can I speak to you away from our captive please?"

Jack. I chuckle at In'Za's words, "Unfortunately, wolves do not teach manners very well." When Remei approaches and askes her question, I reply, "In a moment, but he won't understand anyway," I finish up looting the kobolds, then follow her, "What is it?"

Stella "Me fathers name was Gordus Argnon. Now don get me wrong, i loved me old man but he was not the brightest candle in the winda." Stella looks a little sad for a moment follow by a face of anger "The betrayers name was Dorod and i swear if i ever find that little hobgoblin ill wring em so dry you could grind em up as flour"

Jack. I pause in looting the kobolds, "I knew mitocabra by both names. Gordus saved me life and Dorod condemned it. Ironically, they were friends. Shared similar views in nigh anything 'til that day. Tell me, do ye know the name Lumenosk?" (Say whatever you please, I use it to build more. This is happening before Remei asked to speak with Jack, yes?)

Decca manages to re-manifest her previous unseen servant in less time that would be needed to completely recast the spell (as per our DM's ruling in the chatroom). Before returning to the others, she advises Gerald, "If we get into another skirmish, be ready to cast light if you need it. At that point our position would be given up, anyway... And it seems like at least one of those newcomers can't see in darkness, either." She pauses for a moment, before switching the topic slightly, "The others seem to trust those newcomers, but, suffice to say I am suspicious. Be wary, friend." With her task complete, Decca gives one last look outside—to make sure nothing is watching her—before returning to the others.

To her, the party seems involved in interpersonal conversations. While they converse, she investigates the dead kobolds to see if there's anything of value. (She loots either after Jack already has, or does so with him—whatever is appropriate).

Remei.To Jack "As you wish" I pause. "I'm fast but not especially stealthy, and after hearing of your earlier experiences with Kobolds, I think I'll stay here with you all. If I am ambushed alone I may not be able to just run away, which is my main defence". I smile broadly at him. "A little bad mannered perhaps? To go into a meeting with the Kobold leader with your breath reeking of their flesh?" I tip my head slightly and twinkle my eyes at him. I'm rather intrigued by this grumpy forest dweller, and wonder how he'll react.

Jack. (Fixing time problems) I hold up a finger to forestall Stella's reply as Remei approaches, "I will continue this, Just let me speak with Remei." I listen to Remei, "Very well. Tis yer choice," Afterwards, I just stand and watch her for several long moments before saying, "Does the wolf care that the deer can smell the blood of other deer on its breath? If they notice, which I doubt, they can do whatever they please about it. Is that all?" (If Remei has nothing more to say, I return to my conversation with Stella).

RemeiI nod slightly to Jack and step back, and decide to look around the cave and entrance using my tracking ability to see what I can ascertain.(Roll 16+3=19)

Stella She ponders for a moment. "Aye the name does sound familiar but i cant seem to remember from where." She paces and puzzles the name, muttering to herself and waiting for the party to call her to go

Jack. I nod, "Good. I gave that name to Gordus nigh 300 years ago with instructions that if he ever met my family, he was to say he knew Lumenosk. My family would not hurt him if he did. Did yer father tell ye this?"

Stella "No he never told me much about his adventurin before he had me. He always said that me wander lust was much like he used to be. I know why he didnt want me to practice me weaponry but i always felt like i needed to be ready. Im glad when that count showed up that I was or Id be in the dirt just like he is." She smiles a bittersweet smile. "But no more of that we got work to do. we gotta find this princess and save her!"

DM. By now, the wall has disappeared, revealing a hewn corridor extending about 30 feet before sharply turning 45 degrees to the east. Remei searches outside the cave and finds a few tracks leading in and around the cave, but none of which seem to lead to creatures. Inside the cave, there are many tracks and markings from frequent passage through the halls. Gerald follows Decca back inside, "I'll watch your back if you watch mine." (Gerald was initially supposed to be In'Za's companion, but now he's more of Decca's, it seems.) When the party continues further into the cave, Gerald will sheath his mace to cover its light. Jack finds a total of 17 silver pieces on the kobolds and Decca finds a silver chain set with semiprecious gems around the neck of the dire rat.

Jack. "Very well. But if yer father is the Gordus I knew, then there is much I know of him. Much more than ye may think," I nod and leave it at that. "Ah, look!" I display a small pile of coins, "Silver. Not bad for a handful of kobolds." I slip them into my pouch, saying, "I hold onto these for now."

Wfoz. "Okay, we heve everytthizng we need for now. Zhould we go through the wall alreedy and ttalk to the king? We can leave the kobold here for now, unless we are worried about the ratts."

Wfoz walks up to the wall, looking like he is worried about rats again. His hands are right on his weapons, quivering slightly. My weak wings are hardly moving, and with my blindsense I try to decipher what is on the other side of the wall.

In'Za. "We could bring Nog with us. It might help the negotiation if we demonstrate we showed mercy."

Remei. "I agree. There is little point stirring the entire nest to fight us." I offer my paw to Stella "Shall I be your eyes in the dark?"

Decca slips the gems and silver into her pack, before turning to the others. "Wfoz, what wall are you talking about? The wall I created should be gone by now." Decca glances eastward towards the space, seeing clearly that her minor illusion has indeed vanished. "Did that kobold say the king was down that direction—east, I think? Even if he's lying, it seems better than going west and finding more of those rats..."

She looks towards In'Za. "'Demonstrate mercy'? We slaughtered all of its comrades and looted their corpses while it watched. If the princess is somehow still in their possession and still alive, we could use—Nog you said?—Nog's life as one of several things to trade for her in negotiations. That is, assuming, they are even willing to negotiate for the princess' safe release. At least we can agree he is more useful to us alive than dead." She sighs, "Although, clearly, Jack should be the one talking to them in any case."

Jack. I turn to Nog, "Nog. Sjek si huvena ekess renthisj mrith dout daar, ornla jaci renthisj mrith ve usv relekihl ve ekess vargach? (Nog. If I wished to speak with your king, would he speak with me or challenge me to battle?)"

DM. The captured kobold speaks, "Kopundde brojuni junu kopund. Aaz Nog fah brojun, tinvaak do drem. (King is smartest kobold. Give Nog to king, negotiate for peace.)"

Stella "Sounds like a plan ta me. Better ta have em an not need em then the other way round. Although we did kill his little companions and i hope that don' come back and bite our behinds. Im with you whatever you decide to do with Noggin or whatever its name was."

Wfoz. Wfoz agrees to take Nog with us, and will start down the tunnel once everyone is ready.

In'Za. In'Za waits with Wfoz.

Decca and Gerald take the middle point of the marching party, as before. She assumes Wfoz and Jack will lead the way again, dragging Nog along with them. Presumably In'Za will watch everyone's back as before. She imagines Stella would be best in the middle since she can't see, and that Remei will probably stay with her there.

( Whenever we depart, this seems like the marching order that will be used unless anyone objects. )
( In'Za -> Remei = Stella -> Gerald = Decca -> Wfoz -> Nog -> Jack -> an unseen servant groping the floor )

Jack. "Zi algbo. Wux geou wiilirk ve. Shar visp ve, svaust vur svabol ptauaic dout daar? (Very well. You will follow me. But tell me, who and what attends your king?)" I say to my compsnions, "Nog claims their king is the smartest in the tribe. Negotiations may indeed be possible." (GamerAim, did you see the edit on the talk page? I tend to be on infrequently, so I don't use the Tavern Chatroom.)

Stella will wait for the party with Gerald

DM. You make your way down the roughly cut corridor until you reach a fork in the tunnel. At the eastern end of the tunnel, Jack can barely make out a rocky opening into a chamber he knows not how large, though you can make out the distinctly loud babble of many squeaking voices coming from within. In'Za, however, sees much further — in about 50 feet inside he sees 9 kobolds, though he knows not how many lie outside his range of vision, and some of them even appear to be children! They appear to be too busy to have noticed you yet. Surprisingly, there seems to be a dim light coming from within, likely from a fire, though the source lies beyond your vision. To the north, Jack sees another fork in the tunnel, again leading in both the western and eastern directions, though he cannot see far into either direction.

Jack. "Nurtiricin sia annyo visidark, svabolen idol ekess dout daar? (Nevermind my last question, which way to your king?)" I whisper to Nog.

In'Za. In'Za moves forward to Jack and says to him. "There are kobolds down the east tunnel. Some of them seem to be children. There's light as well, but I can't see that far in."

Stella moves out of In'Za's way assuming she had too and says quietly. "I can't see a blasted thing in all this dark. But it seems like they've found sumtim up there. Hey Remei can you see anything up there that I can't."

DM. Nog struggles to point roughly up the north, "Drom wah kopundi brojunu. (North to king.)" (Sorry for taking so long to respond. I forgot or missed Jack's question until someone brought it up today!)

Remei. To Stella "I can see less than In'Za, it seems. There are some young kobolds playing in that chamber. Stick to my side and I'll warn you of any danger".

Decca, having no clue what the kobold is talking about, quietly directs her spell to feel the floor and walls in the direction it is pointing.

Jack. I nod, "Bensvelk. Wux geou zexenuma mrith ve. Vur... si geou cotui wux nomeno huena. Sjek wux re riyitir ve persvek tikil idol... si geou ocuir wux loex. (Good. You will stay with me. And... I will warn you this once. If you are tricking me in any way... I will see you dead.)" I turn, obviously dismissing Nog, and speak to In'Za, "Yer eyesight is that good? Why have ye not said so? I cannot see the kobolds ye speak of. If yer eyes are that good, ye should be here up here with me. I can spot hidden traps and secrets, but I cannot see that far." After that, I speak to the rest of my companions, "Nog says the king is to the north." I gesture to Nog, "Confn. Sjek yth confn ekess tikil montuic svaklar wer donoap oplin, wux visp ve svaklar yth zklaen gethrisj. Vur vucot nomeno... si agantal nakta sia inglatai. (Come. If we come to any points where the path split, you tell me where we must go. And know this... I always keep my promises.)"

In'Za. "As you wish. Perhaps someone should make record of our path?" In'Za moves to the front with Jack.

DM. Nog does what he is ordered to do and guides you up north, where you see a poorly-crafted wooden door to the left, and a long rocky path to the right. He leads down the right past, twisting underneath the valley towards intermittent high-pitched talk, until you come across a small, simply furnished chamber with a recessed wooden door in the east wall. Four well-equipped kobolds jump out of their chairs and draw their weapons, but as soon as they see Nog, they hesitate. "Ofan kopund ahrk mu aal lost aaz! (Give kopund and we may have mercy!)" one of them snarls at you.

In'Za. In'Za is ready to attack if the negotiations fail.

Decca looks towards Jack to see how he handles this. She is ready to shoot a seed the moment one of the kobolds attacks someone in the party. Her eyes dart towards Gerald—it is assumed he has his light revealed already.

Remei. As Stella and I are now at the rear of the party I keep a careful eye and ear on the passage behind us whilst events in the chamber unfold.

Stella grips her axe tighter but won't move past the party to attack until someone else does considering she can't understand their language. She readies an action to attack the kobolds if another member of the party does.

Jack. For moment, I do nothing save look at the kobold. Then I glare at it while slowly taking Nog's dagger (he no doubt had one and no one did anything about it, so I assume we let him keep it) and draw it acriss the scales of my left arm. I return the dagger and display the intact scale before saying, "Xoa coi, vur wux geou shio loreat. Yth confna ekess renthisj mrith dout daar, ti slathalin jacida shiviri. Lae ihk wer petisse, jaci confnic mrith udoka. (Attempt it, and you will all die. We came to speak with your king, not fight his guards. As for the kobold, he comes with us.)" I display a level of self-assured confidence that is the property of creatures who see the world as theirs, such a cats and dragons. (I would assume I need a Persuasion check here) 1d20; 4+1=5 (Wow, and I did all the above, but get that.)

Wfoz. I ready an action to attack the first kobold who attacks us, asking Jack "Can you perzuade them that we meazn no harm? We waznt to dizcuzz the prieztz, and cazn you convence them that we need to trade an amulett for someozne they have? Decce, zhow them the amulett pleaze."

Decca waits to see how the kobolds react to Jack before going through with Wfoz' plan.

DM. The kobolds squeezes their grip around their sword hilts, and the apparent leader grimaces, "Mu sivvi mora hi fenu, nikriin. (We really think you should, coward.)"

In'Za. In'Za steps forward and growls at the kobold leader. Intimidation 12 + 3 = 15

Jack. For several moments, I don't move. Then I start roaring in laughter, "Faessi? Batobot ui dout nadot? Ekess relgr ve vi faessi vur dronilnr ve ekess lowd? Svanoa molmonsore wux re. Zyak visp ve, svanoa algbo geou wux vrrar tir seanf supri? Sjek wux tuor ekess lowd ve zyak kiarf, hak si geou majak wux irral nar. (Coward? That is your plan? To call me a coward and bring me to attack? How sad you are. So tell me, how well will you four do against eight? If you want to attack me so much, then I will give you first strike.)" I spread my arms and stand there. (I take a ready action, if one of the kobolds attack, I make a grapple check to cstch the kobold's hand.)

DM. The kobold's hand twitches ever so slightly, though he does his best to maintain (what passes for) composure at Jack's and In'Za's threats, "Hi laan voth kopundi brojunu, metaalo dov jul? (What you want with king, metallic dragon man?)" he demands. (In this context, metallic means they believe you to be a relative of the "lesser" metallic dragons, and say it with disdain.)

Jack. "Wux jikahshi batobot si mi creol ferrod scaled seian? Sia ternocki re achuak vur si mi thric sthyr. Throdenilt... darastrix. shar thric selgtarn. Si ergriff huven ekess renthisj mrith dout daar. Si jatil jacion thric levnim, sjek jaci means thric levnim ekess ve. (You believe that I am some golden scaled hero? My scales are green and I am no man. More... dragon. But no matter. I only wish to speak with your king. I mean him no harm, if he means no harm to me.)"

DM. The kobold thinks it over for a few seconds, then releases his grip on his sword. He points at the ground, "Sar het! (Wait here!)" and exits the eastern door. He returns less than a minute later and leaves the door open, "Brojun jun, rok koraav hi nu! Ofan krosis. (King smart, he see you now! Pay respects.)"

Stella "I can't tell if this is going well or not. What the blazes are they talkin bout!" Stella stares on in confusion at her new teammate as he converses with the Kobolds.

Jack. I nod and turn to my companions, "Their king will see us now. Apparently we should show our respects."

Stella "As long as they don take me axe an bow ill be 'spectful. Boy am I glad to be travelin with someone who speaks the same language as these little fellers cause ida just come in here swingin."

Wfoz. I release the grip on my sword, and I bow to the kobolds. My sturdy antennae brushes the top of them. As I wait for the kobolds to lead the way, I mention "Metz, if it helpz, letz zay the amulet belongz to the prenzezz. We need to give it back to her at all koztz, zinze it iz what makez her the prenzezz."

In'Za. "A clever plan. It is quite a plain amulet, though. Decca, could you make it look more regal using an illusion?"

Decca. "I wish. Unfortunately I can't effectively disguise small, moving objects like this. I could for instance make a beautiful regal amulet sitting on a table, but the second someone tried to touch it let alone wear it, the deception would be over." She takes the amulet off anyway, and begins gently rubbing it, "I can at least try to polish it a little bit... Don't suppose any of you know prestidigitation?"

Jack. "We don't have the time for it. These guards have already seen the amulet as it is. Using magic would cause more problems, they are already suspicious of us. Let us go and we will deal with what comes," if my companions agreement, I lead them through the door.

In'Za. "I am ready to proceed."

Decca shrugs and slips the amulet back on, happy to keep it anyway. "Well. Hopefully things turn out better than the other day," Decca muses, keeping one hand on her rapier as she follows Jack forward.

DM. You enter the eastern door, after which the four kobolds in the room behind you group up to block the exit. All manner of savage trophies hang on the walls of this stifling cave, including furs, tapestries, and old blankets. Heaps of cloth and bits of battered furniture litter the floor. A lantern on a plank table burns dimly, and you hear the sounds of piping arguments. A wiry kobold sits atop a fur-linked throne, surrounded by five aides, all of whom go quiet as soon as he raises his hand. In a shrill mockery of common, he speaks, "Kor say you have gift. Say whats yous wants and I consider letting yous live, hee hee hee."

In'Za. In'Za bows deeply, then kneels.

Decca remains standing; she's still shorter than In'Za kneeling, anyway. She turns to Jack and gives a firm, inspiring nod. (Just to be clear this time, Decca is giving Jack a use of Bardic Inspiration. Don't let it go to waste.)

Jack. "Fekiikiri, Daar di wer Petissei. Si mi vucat lae wer Fip di wer Caesin. Si renthisj ihk sia kiabili. Yth sweekmon vi wanotreyxkaiv batobot yth jikahshi dout cirau sitelia ihk vi svih di svitrani. Yth offer ir di dout xiekivi, (Greetings, King of the Kobolds. I am known as the Ghost of the Forest. I speak for my companions. We seek a princess that we believe your kind captured for a group of priests. We offer one of your people,)" I gesture at Nog, but save for that, make no other movements.

Wfoz. "Greetingz, Keng. My name iz Wfoz Herametz, from the underdarkk. Jackk knowz your languege, and it iz really nice to be zo warmly greeted." Wfoz makes his way to some goat furs, and sits down on them. I can hardly feel the floor through the thick fur, and tell the king "thiz iz a really nice plece you have here. Do you have any thing for uz to chew, or drink perchance? A beer? Iz there anything on the grill?"

In'Za. In'Za is shaking with indignation at Wfoz's conduct, but says nothing.

DM. The king looks at In'Za, then Decca, then Jack, then Wfoz. (I rolled for Jack and Wfoz. Was Jack intending to use the inspiration die?) He replies in his broken common, "Me know of pretty princess, we take her many moons ago." He counts on his fingers, "Five or six moons ago, me thinks. Me not have princess, we give to priest outside town. You have knowledge, you give Nog back now." He looks at Wfoz, then to one of his aides, "Well?! Get bug man drink. Bug man knows how to woo king, with fun and drinking." He looks at the necklace around Decca's neck, "Plant have pretty jewel, look like jewel for king rat. Me have jewel and give for king rat." The aide returns with a mug of an unknown red liquid for Wfoz and the king.

Remei.Not knowing what to make of all this, I merely bow briefly to the King but remain standing at the back of the party, all senses on high alert.

Wfoz. I stand up, drink a good portion of the liquid after it's handed over to me, "beezzzrrpzpz". I casually begin to mingle, and as I get closer to the king I speak. "Dontt mind the lizerd, In'Za. He iz not uzed to royaltty, your highnezz. I heard you say you know about the amulett thatt Decce, the 'plantt', haz. We need to give it to the princezz, for all the zame reazons that you want it. We juzt need more informattiozn aboutt how to find her. What priezt can we talk to, and can we get a guide to help uz? Your highnezz, my friendz, thiz drink iz really good. Anyone for zeconds?"

In'Za. In'Za stands, looking slightly annoyed.

Stella Does a deep bow but stands at the back with Remei and keeps an eye out.

Decca chuckles softly. In'Za was flustered. Stella was confused. Wfoz was getting drunk with the enemy. The enemy still believed this 'king rat' was still alive. Indeed, she was quite certain this royal rodent was one of the rats they slaughtered earlier. How would the kobolds react if she pulled out that silver chain—the silver chain that king rat wore? Oh dear she wanted to know—she craved to know. Ever so reluctantly she decided against it. "The bugman is right. If we returned without this amulet, I fear my head would end up in a salad. As long as we're downing beverages together, though, how about a drinking song?"

With one hand she slips her horn from her backpack, and backs away slightly from the others. Her wooden snout is brought to the instrument's mouthpiece. "If you have a request, I'm all ears..."

Jack. I gaze around at the rather sudden scene. I turn to In'Za and say, "Relax. This is a kobold king. How they go about their business is different from human royalty," I shrug and say, "I can dance, sing, and play the pan flute, somewhat. Me sister loved music and I always seemed to be her partner. The songs I know are over 300 years old, though."

Decca rolls her eyes before putting the horn away.

In'Za. "You're right, Jack." In'Za calms himself. "It would be logical for his majesty to decide the entertainer, would it not?"

DM. The king looks around and settles his gaze on Decca, "Plant play the horn? Well, play!" He sits up and dances (whether Decca plays or not). Speaking more seriously, he says, "Priests dangerous; more dangerous than yous. I lets yous live because yous are fun, but me thinks yous killed me guards outside home. Yous tough and scary, sos yous push around little kobolds to comes in here and question me, while yous hold little Nog behind yous. Me want pretty jewels for favorite rat, then want Nog. Nog will show yous back out to cave of priests, but too dangerous for likes of Nog to enter, understands? Unless yous have better offer, this is all me will do for yous."

He putters around and sits back on his throne, "Maybe yous didn't kill guards, maybe yous did. Me have deal to make. Ogre lives in cave across outside, comes and eats outside kobolds and steals our things. Yous kill ogre, maybe gives us some of its things, maybe we helps you take princess." He smiles mischievously, "Whats can me say? We like taking princess."

In'Za. (To the party) "It sounds like a reasonable deal." In'Za turns to Stella and Remei. "What do you think?"

Decca. With a slight smile, she pulls out her horn once more and finds a jovial tune that more or less matches the king's rhythm. The request for her amulet is tactfully overlooked for the moment. (Decca will make an Intelligence check to determine the approximate value of the amulet, which she probably should have done earlier. Result: 18.)

Remei. Finds herself instinctively tapping her back paws as the music starts, aand judging the capering king to be little threat, she suddenly throws herself into the sinuous, graceful leaps and airborne twists typical of her species at play. When the King begins to speak, she comes to a halt and watches him closely. As he finishes she takes a step towards him and says "if we kill the ogre and bring you some pretty gems, you will tell Nog to guide us to these priests?"

Stella Stella's grin spreads wide across her face. "Now yer talkin! Lets go and smash us an ogre and save the princess as well. Im all in and ready to work." Stella laughs joyously. (Although she didnt imagine doing this for kobolds, this is what she hoped to do when she left home)

In'Za. "We should have a majority vote before we decide for sure, as there is no one leader. I myself am in favour of accepting the offer."

Jack. "I think I know of this ogre. He wanders the forest every once in a while and generally makes nuisance of himself. Scares away all the prey. I would love to... remove him," I pause and turn to the king, "Speaking of prey, I have a question for you. Your hunters. How far must they go to find beasts to hunt? I would guess they don't find much prey nearby." While I speak, I gesture for Nog to return to his king.

In'Za. "I wouldn't be surprised if you did know it. There can't be that many ogres this near to the keep."

Wfoz. I nod my head to the party in agreement. In a pleasant chuckle I reply to the king "You reallzy have a good zenze of humor! In the town everyone is saying that koboldz have been killing adventurerz! People say they have killed a whole party. We have no needz for a jezter here, your highnezz. Another drink pleaze!" After finishing my drink, and toasting our cooperation with the next, Wfoz agrees to go kill the ogre, but he asks if they can first see which cave the priests are within and hopefully the other adventurers.

Decca. (If possible, Decca would also like to make a Wisdom (Insight) check to guess at how full of lies the king here really is. Result: 12.)

Stella "I am obviously in favor. Whether it suits the king er not, I cant just let this beast terrorize the countryside!"

In'Za. "Perhaps you should stop drinking so much, Wfoz. There are still battles ahead, after all."

DM. "There 'nuff prey around to keep kobold bellies full. Sometimes rob caravan or two. Guards took foods from dead adventurers outside home other day. Ogre probly got 'em 'cuz they weren'ts there when guards wents to check. Priest cave at end of valley — Nog show you when ogre dead!" The king laughs and has an aid hand Wfoz a drink, "Now finish drinks and go! Me not wait longer and give aways all food!"

Decca doesn't sense that the king is lying, though his exact motives seem unclear. She appraises the amulet at approximately 15 gold pieces in value.

Jack. "Very well. When Foz is finished, then let us go." I nod before gazing off and muttering, "Mi si xuut? Nomagqe mobi ui ehis xuut. Nomagqe si mi filki pragrayl. Caesinic thirku, ghent shio. (Am I wrong? Perhaps there is nothing wrong. Maybe I am just paranoid. Forests change, after all.)"

Wfoz. I finish my drink, with a loud "bzzzrrpzz. Okay, letz kill the ogre metz!."

In'Za. "Indeed. Wfoz, do try not to fall over."

Decca brings her tune to a close, and joins the others on the way out.

Stella Waits for Remei to make sure they have nothing left to say and then proceeds out with the party

Remei. Shakes her head slightly, uncertain what to make of this whole situation, but brings up the rear with Stella as before.

DM. You make it out of the kobold's cave unmolested and cross the valley, following the bloodsoaked trail of kobold blood to the tree-hidden cave mouth Jack last spotted a bear in — indeed, even now you see the slumbering form of a bear atop a pile of dried leaves. Wfoz and Decca hear the occasional bass grumble from within, and a strong, sour odor pervades even outside of the cave.

In'Za. "The bear... Can anyone sneak up to it and make a surprise attack?"

Jack. Whispering, I say, "I could try or we could attempt to sneak by. If I do try, be ready in the case me strike fails to kill."

Decca whispers, "Why strike? Let sleeping bears lie..." Being perhaps a bit reckless, Decca draws her rapier to keep it at the ready and tries to quietly slip past the beast unnoticed. She is sure to keep her eyes sharp for any dry leaves in her path.

In'Za. "It won't be easy for me to sneak past in this armour. Decca, could your magic help me?"

Remei. "Why don't I 'accidentally' wake it? It might lumber after me, but I'm sure I'm fast enough to lead it into the woods a fair way then double back and join you....

Decca halts her approach at In'Za's remark. She gives a silent shake of her head, "No... I could cast speak with animals to try and talk with it, though I'm not sure what good that would do." She tilts her head, thinking for a moment, "I could cast a minor illusion around or in front of it, but I'm not sure what illusion would help there either. I still think sneaking ahead would be the best approach." (According to the 5e SRD (page 79, "Working Together") as long as at least half of us succeeded the Stealth check we would all be fine.)

Stella "I think it's a fine plan to sneak around an there be enough of us that if we do wake em we can take em" Stella says quietly to the group as she begins to try and sneak by (Stealth check/ Sticking true to her rowdy nature Stella gets a 5 (3+2) for her Stealth check)

Decca follows suit, after hesitating to converse with In'Za. She gets a 6 for her Stealth check (natural 1 + 5).

Wfoz. I get a 15 + 5 = 20. "You guyz are pretty loud... wantt me to get pastt the beazr and see if it has cubz or zometthing? We could bring the cubz outtzide so it will follow them?"

Jack. Stealth check. 1d20; 20+4=24 Crit! I shake my head, "That is a terrible idea. Bears hate when ye get near their cubs. As on, they don't care how strong ye are, they will kill ye hate." When I go to slip by the bear, I am like a ghost, passing by with ease.

In'Za. In'Za sighs and walks past the bear, unable to sneak in his armour. Roll: 8 + 0 = 8

Remei. I follow In'Za, somewhat more stealthily, but ready to run out of the cave, taunting the Bear to draw him away from the main party if necessary. Roll 1d20+3=12

DM. Those of you deft of step help those lacking, and you sneak into the cave. However, upon moving closer to the slumbering bear, you notice that the "bear" is nothing but hide, set atop a pile of dried leaves! In fact, the low grumble you heard isn't coming from the bear, but from the east cave, where those of you with darkvision can see a lumbering ogre lounging atop a giant leather bag — unfortunately, even those without darkvision can smell his pungent odor. The ogre's eyes are closed, and he does not seem to have heard you yet.

In'Za. "The ogre! It has not seen us yet, so we have the chance to strike first." In'Za whispers.

Decca asks in hushed tone, "Shall we all strike at once? Gerald, get ready to cast chill touch." Decca herself readies her action to cast vicious mockery on the foul behemoth the moment someone attacks.

In'Za. "Ready yourselves! I will lead the attack." Whispering, In'Za readies the attack action to be enacted when everyone else has readied their attacks.

Jack. I crouch and also ready an attack for when everyone is ready, "Be wary. Ogres are strong, perhaps strong enough to send our smaller or lighter members flying."

Stella Stella digs her hooves into the ground and knocks an arrow in her longbow "I could probably get a few good shots in and try to keep his attention, and no worries us mitocabra are masters of digging in." She lines up her shot waiting for the signal.

Wfoz. I ready my crossbow until Remei gives the signal. "Remei, on your markk!" I whisper.

Remei. I ready the action to move forward to the ogre with the others and attack his eye with my dagger. I nod to he others and move forward at their usual speed so I don't arrive much earlier and spoil the surprise attack.

In'Za. Now that everyone is ready, In'Za gives a hand signal and runs forward, using his reaction to use his ready action and run to, and attack the ogre, and his action to make a second attack against the ogre using his longsword. Roll: 2 + 3 = 5, Roll 2: 11 + 3 = 14, Damage 7 + 1 = 8.

Remei. I stab at the ogre's eyes, 1 reaction (1 attack)and use my unarmed strike action against his other eye (2 attacks). "Rolls were 16, 14 and 17, damage 7, 4 and 4"

DM. The ogre barely has time to open his eyes before Remei is upon him, slashing and punching at his face to deal not-inconsiderable damage. On her mark, Decca and Gerald fire off their spells and the ogre winces at the mental mockery. Wfoz narrowly hits as his arrow flies into the ogre's fat arms, but Stella misses the mark. In'Za slashes his longsword into the ogre's shoulder. (I rolled for Wfoz (+5) and Stella (+4), but I'm not sure how Jack is attacking, so I will wait a bit for him. The total damage is 40 points so far.)

Jack. (Sorry, with his claws. Meant to say something, but wifi gave out and I was not able to.) I act very similarly to Remei. Reaction attack: 1d20; 13+4=17 Hit. 1d4; 3+2=5 slashing damage. 2nd attack: 1d20; 6+4=10 Hit? 1d4; 4+2=6 slashing damage. 3rd attack: 1d20; 20+4=24 Crit! 2d4; 7+2=9 slashing damage.

DM. Jack delivers two good unarmed strikes to the Ogre — one in the face and one in the gut. His face is pained, but it seems far more angry. (Initiative rolled. Wfoz, Decca, Remei and Stella go. Though unless they all miss, I doubt the Ogre will have a chance to fight back :P )

Stella On my turn im going to loose another arrow from my longbow if the ogre is still alive (attack roll 1d20+4= 10, damage roll 1d8+2=3 -_-)

Decca follows up her spell with a seed shot at high speed (Attack: 6 (natural 1 + 5), Damage: 6).

Remei. I stay where I am and continue to attack the ogres head. My two attacks are 10 and 13 doing 7 points if damage each, if they hit

Wfoz. I attack the ogre with my bow, choosing to duel it. 12 + 5 = 17 to hit, for 8 + 2 + 3 = 13 points of damage.

DM. After being stabbed and pierced by Remei and Wfoz, the ogre grunts his last breath and slides off his large leather sack. In this cave’s midst, along with the huge leather sack, is a small keg that stands nearby and old bones piled against the south wall.

In'Za. "We should take a trophy of some kind to prove we have killed it."

Jack. "Cut of its head," I say before approachinh to open the leather sack, "Now, let me see what is in this."

In'Za. "How traditional. Wfoz, you landed the final blow. It is only fair that you should be the one to have the honour of taking the trophy."

Remei. walks stiffly away from the ogre, covered in its blood and eye-juice. "I'll leave the decapitation to you. I'm going to wash". Then I leave the cave and sniff the air, trying to fathom the nearest source of water above the stench of ogre blood.

Jack. I pause and say to In'Za, "But of course. Need I remind ye of me age?" I chuckle before giving directions to Remei, "Should be a stream a short way north of the ravine... I might join ye after I see what is in here. The blood is obscuring me scales."

Wfoz. "Thankkz for the hoznor metz!" I put my crossbow back over my backpack, and walk over to the ogre. Taking out my blade, I say "everyozne who needz to get cleen, juzt be safe out there." I pull the ogre's head along the cave floor, and then sever it. Letting Nog know that I have the ogre's head, I tell him "Nog, we have itz head. Can you zhow me the cave now, like your king wented you to do?"

Stella Puts her bow back "Goodness me it's been a long time. I must be mighty outa practice. Now we should be able to get the details of where the princess is."

Remei. Turning to the North as Jack advised, I set off at my usual rapid pace, Stoaty senses on high alert for any movement, noises or smells in the wood. (Perception check 1d20+1=10)

Decca quietly investigates the leather sack with Jack, and searches the massive corpse for anything of use or value.

Personal tools
Home of user-generated,
homebrew, pages!
system reference documents
admin area
Terms and Conditions for Non-Human Visitors