From D&D Wiki
A Necromancer class in 4e
could be handle in both ways:
- As a Warlock's Undead Contract, with a deity of unlife, death or the Shadowfell.
- Or as a class on it's own, who uses either Shadow or Arcane power source.
Here I'll follow on the second choice.
Undead Creature a.k.a. NECRO
A Necro is the denomination for an Undead Creature risen by a Necromancer Power, they are divided by type as * Necro-minion, with the necromancer's level, the weapons of the corpse (if any) and 1 hp; their main roll is to be the bait and a quick handy weapon for necromancers.
- Necro-hulk, with the Necromancer's level, the weapons of the corpse (if any) and for hit points half the Necromancer's bloodied value; this are for direct attack purposes, they posses greater strength than minions and attacks that will affect the enemy's status.
- Necro-horror, with the Necromancer's level, the weapons of the corpse and half the Necromancer's hit points; this are the most powerful Necro, serving to protect the Necromancer they have higher hit points and bonus to defences.
- Necro-spike, with the Necromancer's level, the weapons of the corpse and for hit points half the Necromancer's bloodied value; they serve as range army for Necromancers.
Rituals for Undead Creation
This is a work in progress Raise Undead
For creating special kind of undead, the ones that are more than mere tools for Necromancers, a special ritual is required for their creation. There are four templates in 4e (to the date), but more could be created with their own ritual requirement.
- The Lich's template is found at page 179 of the DMG, and one ritual appears on page 177 of the MM. With this you can turn any living creature or player into a standard undead.
- A Death Knight's template can be found at page 177 of the DMG where a ritual is mentioned but not explained, more information about death knights can be found at page 50 of the MM. This is specific for knights but it could work nicely (changing its powers) with any class.
- For the Mummy (Lord and Champion), the templates are at page 179 of the DMG, more information about them can can be found on page 192 of the MM. This one is the only special undead that according to the books its not intelligent or sentient.
- The Vampire template is on page 181 of the DMG, the ritual for creating vampires is at page 259 of the MM, and more information about the monster is at page 258 of the MM.