Urubane (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
The natural homes of Urubanes are the mountains and forests of the world. Slow, hulking but wise creatures, they get on well with the animals of their homes. When thrust into society, the ones that like it (not many) can become fearsome fighters and loyal friends.
Urubanes are a mainly solitary race, and as such do not get on well in society. Their favourite pastime is sitting on a fallen log in the sun and listening to the sounds of nature around them. They are very wise, knowing many things humans can’t even fathom, and very loyal to the few true friends they have. An Urubane will never forget a kind deed, nor will he ever forgive a cruel one.
 Physical Description
Urubanes are humanoid with slightly ursine (bear-like) features. They stand 6 to 7½ feet tall, and weigh between 185 and 270 pounds. Urubanes have more facial and body hair than humans, and it is replaced by a rough, shaggy coat of fur. Their faces are slightly protuberant like a bear’s, and their teeth are sharper than usual. Also they are built very heavily, with large muscles and bones, and walk with a swaggering stoop like a grizzly bear on hind legs. Their eyes are narrower than a humans, and have nearly no colour but -black, and their ears are slightly rounder and angled forward and up further. An urubane’s fur can be any dark colour from a dark ginger to jet black.
Urubanes are a very unsociable race, and don’t get on with anyone well. However they do have a grudging respect for elves because they are the closest of all the other races to nature in body and spirit, and amaze the urubanes with their speed and agility in the trees, and some border on friendship with dwarves, especially the quieter ones. However when an urubane makes a friend with the member of any race, he makes a friend for life.
Urubanes are usually neutral on the first axis, as they do not fit in well with the rest of society, and nearly all are good on the second. They always try to help those that need helping. Evil urubanes are uncommon, but a few do feel the power that destruction and cruelty bring, and a few others become chaotic, either for good or evil.
Urubane live in the untamed and forgotten places of the world, in forests, caves, mountains and plains. They do not try to conquer their habitats, but rather nurture them and help them grow. Nymphs and dryads warily accept their presence, and some are even in debt to an urubane for saving their trees and rivers.
Urubane speak rarely, and in their solitary existence language is hardly important. When the need arises, urubane communicate in a soft, guttural language that does not have much grammar or for that matter any sentences. This language does not have nor need an alphabet. But if an urubane decides to learn another language, the knowledge comes quickly and an urubane can learn to speak Common in a few weeks, albeit with an accent.
Urubane names are simple two syllable words that mean things like bark, stream’ and flower. All vowels are short and all ‘a’ are pronounced as "ah", all "e" as "eh", all "u" as "ooh", "o" as "oh" and "i" as "ih".
- Urubane Male Names: Rung (bark), Deben (leaf), Pant (fern), Orep (pine cone), Turi (pebble), Kron (root)
- Urubane Female Names: Jipp (flower), Sarn (stream), Pire (seed), Sara (insect), Lore (rain), Wirin (dew)
Few urubanes ever leave their natural homes. They are born, live and die in the wild. The ones that do, however, may go into civilised lands as revenge for destroyed forests and dammed rivers, out of curiosity or because of a fight or quarrel. Hardly any stay for long, but the ones that do nearly always go adventuring, back to the wilds.
 Racial Traits
- -2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, -6 Intelligence, +2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma
- Type: Humanoid (Ursine)
- Urubane base land speed is 30 feet.
- Automatic Languages: Urubane. Bonus languages: Common and Sylvan. Urubane do not automatically know how to read and write. An urubane may spend 1 skill point to gain the ability to read and write all languages he is able to speak.
- Natural Knowledge: Urubanes are born and die in the wild, and get racial bonuses on the following nature-related skills: +4 on Handle Animal, +2 on Knowledge (Nature) and +6 to Survival.
- Bear Blood: Urubanes have bear blood flowing through their veins. They gain a +2 racial bonus on Swim checks and a +6 racial bonus on Handle Animal checks related to bears. This Handle Animal bonus is in place of the +4 bonus of Natural Knowledge..
- Bear Body: All armour and clothing made specifically for urubanes (1½ times more expensive, same weight) also fits Medium-sized bears and Medium and Large (DC 5 Fortitude save) werebears in bear form. Armour can be customized for an urubane after it is already made.
- Favored Class: Barbarian. A multiclass Urubane’s barbarian class does not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty.
- Level Adjustment: +0