Tortugan (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
A large Turtle-like Humanoid Race that is adept at providing front line assistance to militant forces. Tortugan generally enjoy providing defense for creatures smaller than them which is why most Tortugan have a strong affinity for halfings more than other races seeing as they have comparable life spans. It is also not uncommon for halfings and Tortugan to be lifelong friends. Though this is experienced with members of other races it is most common with haflings. Usually Slow and stupid beings but quick to defend a friend.
 Physical Description
Tortugan resemble a mix of features from different types of turtles and tortoises. Tortugan vary from each other in much the same way that Humans do, but with respect to them being large turtle-like creatures. They are bipedal and do not share the flaw of other turtle-like creatures: they can just as easily get off their backs as a Human can.
Tortugan are usually a few inches shorter than than the average Troll and weigh about 50 to 100lbs more. Males and females show little difference between them except Males generally have distinguishing features such as head crests, horns, dull spikes, bumps on the shells or a combination of some or all of these.
Skin color varies. Some are green or dark green. Even still some are pale yellow, purple or any other color that turtles or tortoises have. Eye color is not inherited and can be any varying shade of the 7 colors in the rainbow.
Tortugan are generally friendly with most races though it is a popular feeling to distrust races or creatures that are larger than them.
Same as Halfling, though Tortugan prefer to be close to the water. Sometimes they operate shipyards or docks at rare Halfling settlements. They prefer fresh water, but sea water doesn't have any negative effect on them. Drinking it is still hazardous to their health as it would be for any other land based creature.
Tortugan generally do not think about religion unless a friend dies. In most cases Clerics or Paladins worship a cause rather than a Deity. Though some Tortugan are moderately religious and in very rare cases become prophets or priests.
Females generally do more of the clerical work and generally run any cults or sects that pop up.
Tortugan prefer to have Tortugan Clerics administer last rights. In extreme cases where none is present a Halfling may suffice. If neither is an option it is generally accepted that any Tortugan can administer last rights but only if that Tortugan was a friend of the deceased. Death is usually the only time when a Tortugan thinks about religion.
Tortugan Have no natural language of their own. Imperialism and the general lack of written language of ancestral Tortugan may be a factor in why they do not have a language of their own to this day. Few if any Tortugan still know that language as it must be learned from past generations.
A DM could choose a gruff accent or even an interesting one that all Tortugan speak with such as a German, Swedish, Russian or even a Minnesotan accent. This is encouraged though not necessary. Breathing heavily and sighing a lot are also encouraged. Tortugan are not generally sarcastic and sometimes have trouble finding the words that they need, in this case a simple sigh before or after the word is uttered would add a nice character feature.
Tortugan Speak Common and Halfling. Particularly intelligent Tortugan also learn Draconic, Dwarven, Orc, Gnome, Gnoll, Aquan, Elven, or Goblin.
Typically named very gruff names ranging from any language. Halflings Generally give them nicknames or pet names as a sign of affinity or friendship. They favor names with K's, T's, R's, L's, U's and hard sounds.
The "U" vowel always uses the "oo" sound like in Pool. This happens Even when there is a Diphthong. The U is always the most important vowel sound in their names. For example, The name Tautan would be pronounced similar to "Tah-oo-Tan."
Tortugan have a first name and a Family or Clan name as well as a nickname. These names are usually viewed in this format when Written: (Family or clan name)-(First Name) "(Nickname)."
Example : Tautan-Utunk "Swimmy"
 Racial Traits
- +2 Strength +4 Constitution, -4 Dexterity, -2 Intelligence, -2 Charisma: Intelligence penalties have a minimum of 3.
- Humanoid (Reptilian)
- Tortugan base land speed is 20 Feet. Swim Speed 25 feet. However, Tortugan can move at this speed even when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load (unlike other creatures, whose speed is reduced in such situations). Swim Speed is still affected normally but Armor Check penalty is halved for Swim checks (Tortugan Armor easily allows for swimming).
- Hafling Companionship: +2 morale bonus on saving throws against fear. Tortugan are usually inspired by the bravery of Haflings. When a Tortugan is within 20 feet of a Hafling (or what the Tortugan perceives as a Hafling DM's Discretion) an additional +1 is given on saving throws against fear. This would bring the total to +3.
- Turtle Body: Tortugan are considered unusual creatures and any Armor worn is always exotic and must be masterwork, check PHB. (At DM's discretion: Armor may be hard to find or may have additional costs simply because of how oddly shaped tortugan are. Also Haflings are familiar with Tortugan and thus Hafling Armorers never apply the unusual creature costs to armor crafted for a Tortugan; The armor still must be masterwork in this case.)
- Winter Bane: Tortugan take a -4 penalty to all endurance, Fortitude and Constitution checks in cold weather or against cold temperature for an hour. In addition all strength based skill checks, Concentration checks and constitution based skill checks take a -2 when under the effect of being in cold weather for an hour. These penalties go away when a Tortugan is out of the cold for at least 4 hours. When a Tortugan is in direct sunlight or by a fire the duration is only 2 hours. Cold Spells or magical effects do not effect Tortugan this way unless otherwise specified.
- Mellow Mind: Immunity to Magic Sleep effects, and a +2 Racial saving through bonus against enchantment spells or effects. +2 Racial Saving throw vs Illusion spells.
- Darkvision: 60 Feet
- Low-Light Vision: a Tortugan can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, Torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
- +3 Natural Armor which scales to +4 at 5HD and increases by 1 every 4 HD after (9,13,17,21,25...etc...) The shell usually is stimulated to grow when it has been tried and tested by the rigors of war.
- Stability: A Torgugan gains a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground).
- Hold Breath: A Tortugan can hold its breath for a number of rounds equal to six times its Constitution score before it risks drowning.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Halfling. Particularly intelligent Tortugan also learn Draconic, Dwarven, Orc, Gnome, Gnoll, Aquan, Elven, or Goblin.
- Favored Class: Fighter (Male), Cleric (Female)
- Level Adjustment: +0
 Vital Statistics
|20 years||+ +2d4||+ +3d6||+ +4d6|
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|50 years||75 years||100 years||+5d20 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||' "||+||lb.||× () lb.|
|Female||' "||+||lb.||× () lb.|