Time Mage (3.5e Class)
From D&D Wiki
A master of the art of manipulation of time. Through study, talent, or determination, all time mages revel in the flow of time.
Making a Time Mage
Adventures: A time mage often accepts the role of support, aiding those who live in or travel in time. In addition, a time mage carries grudges against certain people and creatures that disrupt time and waits for opportunities to find and destroy them. He may also adventure for all the reasons that any other spellcaster does.
Characteristics: A time mage can use only a few different weapons and is not that capable in melee combat. His/her skills to distort time and space allow him/her to survive in the endless cycle of time, to find his/her way, and to avoid detection. He/she also has special knowledge about certain historical events and magics, which makes it easier for him/her to find his way throughout the flow of time.
Alignment: Time mages can be of any alignment. Most are neutral, and such time mages usually function as protectors of time. In this role, a time mage seeks out and destroys or drives off evil creatures that threaten the realm of time. Good time mages protect those who travel through time, serving sometimes as guides and sometimes as unseen guardians. Most time mages are also chaotic, preferring to follow the ebb and flow of time instead of rigid rules. Evil time mages, though rare, are much to be feared. They revel in the world’s thoughtless cruelty and seek to emulate his/her most fearsome predators with his/her power over time.
Religion: A time mage like anyone else may worship a chosen deity. Most are not drawn to the power of the deities due to their ability to manipulate time, time itself is what they tend to worship and the deity Aetas, the Father of Time.
Background: Most time mages learned their skills from solitary masters who accepted them as students and assistants. The time mages of a particular master may count themselves as cohorts, or they may be rivals for the status of best student and thus rightful heir to their master’s fame.
Classes: Time mages get along well with any of the other classes. Their ability to manipulate time is veiwed as a very useful ability, that most others would like to have around.
Role: The time mage’s best role is that of a scout and secondary supportive spellcaster. Without the heavy armor of the fighter, the staying power of the barbarian, or the spell capacity of the Wizard, the time mage should focus on opportunistic and ranged attacks. Most time mages use their ability to manipulate time to be sentries, scouts, or to assist them in avoiding combat.
Abilities: Dexterity is by far the most important ability to the time mage, Charisma is used for most of the time mages abilities and is helpful for those situations where words are better than muscle, a good Intelligence is good for languages and skill points, Wisdom to help the time mage notice those minor details, and a good Constitution allows for a longer living time mage.
Races: Any race has the potential to become a time mage, but those races that have shorter life spans tend to be driven by the power of time manipulation.
Starting Gold: 2d4×10 gp (50 gp).
Starting Age: Complex.
|1st||+0||+0||+2||+2||Distort +1d6, Improved Initiative|
|3rd||+1||+1||+3||+3||Distort +2d6, Time Mastery, Speed +10|
|5th||+2||+1||+4||+4||Distort +3d6, Teleport, Time Mastery|
|6th||+3||+2||+5||+5||Stop, Speed +20|
|7th||+3||+2||+5||+5||Distort +4d6, Regen, Time Mastery|
|9th||+4||+3||+6||+6||Distort +5d6, Time Mastery, Speed +30|
|11th||+5||+3||+7||+7||Distort +6d6, Time Mastery|
|13th||+6/+1||+4||+8||+8||Distort +7d6, Time Mastery|
|15th||+7/+2||+5||+9||+9||Distort +8d6, Time Mastery, Speed +50|
|17th||+8/+3||+5||+10||+10||Distort +9d6, Time Mastery|
|19th||+9/+4||+6||+11||+11||Distort +10d6, Time Mastery|
Class Skills (2 + Int modifier per level, ×4 at 1st level)
All of the following are class features of the time mage.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Time mages are proficient with all simple weapons. They are not proficient with any type of armor or shield.
Distort (Su): The first ability a time mage learns is distort. A time mage attacks his foes with the power of distorted space, using time and space to deal damage and sometimes impart other debilitating effects. The time mage may use this a number of times per day equal to her charisma modifier + one.
A distort is a ray with a range of 60 feet. It is a ranged attack that affects a single target, allowing no saving throw. A distort deals 1d6 points of damage at 1st level and increases in power as the time mage rises in level. A distort is the equivalent of a spell whose level is equal to one-half the time mage’s class level (round down), with a minimum spell level of 1st and a maximum of 9th when a time mage reaches 18th level or higher.
A distort is subject to spell resistance, although the Spell Penetration feat and other effects that improve caster level checks to overcome spell resistance also apply to distort. A distort deals half damage to objects. Metamagic feats cannot improve a time mage’s distort (because it is a spell-like ability, not a spell).
Haste (Sp): Beginning at 2nd level, a time mage can use Haste as a touch spell, with a duration of 2d6 + her dexterity modifier rounds, a number of times per day equal to her charisma modifier + one and one additional time per day at 6th level and ever four levels thereafter. Her caster level equals her class level.
Fast Movement (Ex): At 3rd level, a time mage gains an enhancement bonus to her speed, as shown on Table: The Time Mage. A time mage in armor or carrying a medium or heavy load loses this extra speed.
Time Mastery: On attaining 3rd level, and at every two levels thereafter (7th, 9th, 11th, and etc), a time mage gains a special ability of her choice from among the following options.
- Greater Initiative (Ex): The time mage gains a +4 on Initiative checks. This bonus stacks with the Improved Initiative feat.
- Ripple Shot (Su): The time mage gains an ability to shoot missile-like time ripples at his or her enemies. The time mage can shoot a number of missles equal to her dexterity modifier. The missile strikes unerringly, even if the target is in melee combat or has less than total cover or total concealment. Specific parts of a creature can’t be singled out. Inanimate objects are not damaged by the spell. The missle deals 1d4 points of force damage each. The time mage can use this ability a number of times per day equal to half her class level.
- Time Hop (Ps): The time mage can use the Time Hop power 1/day for every five class levels, with a duration of 1d8 rounds. Her manifester level equals her class level. Prerequisite: 5th Level
- Time Increase (Su): Choose one of your time mage abilities that has a duration and increase the duration by one die. I.E. 2d6 would become 3d6, 2d4 would become 3d4, and 2d10 would become 3d10, etc. A time mage may select this ability multiple times either choosing a new ability or the same as a previous ability, its effects stack. Prerequisite: 7th Level
- Time Regression (Ps): The time mage can use the Time Regression power 1/day for every eight class levels. Her manifester level equals her class level. Prerequisite: 9th Level
- Increase Range (Ex): Increase the range of the time mages distort ability by 30ft. A time mage may select this ability multiple times its effects stack.
- Enhance Distort (Ex): A time mage can choose one of her daily use touch abilities and can apply it to her distort ability. A time mage may select this ability multiple times by applying a new ability to her distort. Prerequisite: 7th Level
- Increase Speed (Ex): Increase your base land speed by 10ft. A time mage may select this ability multiple times its effects stack.
- Distant Time (Ex): A time mage can choose one of her daily use touch abilities and gains the ability to use it at a range of 30ft or increase the range of the slow or stop class features by 30 ft. A time mage may select this ability multiple times by choosing and applying it to a new ability or increase the range of one already selected.
- Lasting Life (Ex): A time mage no longer ages and suffers the penalties of old age, he/she still gains any bonuses and any penalties that were in effect before this ability is gained stay in effect.
- Age (Su): The time mage can force a single target to make a Will save DC (10 + 1/2 class level + Dexterity modifier) or the target ages to the next age category for their species. The time mage may use this ability 1/day for every four class levels. A creature can only be the target of this ability up until they are at the Venerable stage, then they become immune to its effects. At 20th level, the time mage may do the opposite and change the targets age down one age category for their species, but not the time mage themselves. Prerequisite: 5th Level
- Passing Time (Su): A time mage can target a single creature and force them to make a Will save DC (10 + 1/2 class level + Dexterity modifier) or the target becomes paralyzed for 1d6 rounds. If the target fails the initial save the target must make a Fortitude save DC (10 + Dexterity modifier) or die. Even if the Fortitude save is successful, the subject takes 3d6 points of damage. The time mage may use this ability 1/day for every five class levels. Prerequisite: 5th Level
- Feat: A time mage may gain a bonus feat in place of a time mastery.
Slow (Sp): Beginning at 4th level, a time mage can use Slow as the spell at a range of 30 ft., the target must make a Reflex save DC (10 + 1/2 class level + Dexterity modifier), with a duration of 2d6 + her dexterity modifier rounds, a number of times per day equal to her charisma modifier + one and one additional time per day at 10th level and ever four levels thereafter. Her caster level equals her class level.
Teleport (Sp): At 5th level, a time mage can teleport short distances, as the Dimension Door spell, up to a distance of your base land speed, a number of times per day equal to her charisma modifier + one and one additional time per day at 10th level and ever five levels thereafter. His/her caster level equals her class level.
Stop (Su): A time mage can stop a target at a range of 30 ft., the target must make a Reflex save DC (10 + 1/2 class level + Dexterity modifier). The target is stopped and help in suspended time, as the Time Stop spell, for a duration of 2d4 + her dexterity modifier rounds, during this time the target can not take any action and is completely helpless. The time mage can use this ability a number of times per day equal to her charisma modifier + one and one additional time per day at 12th level and ever six levels thereafter.
Regen (Su): A number of times per day equal to her charisma modifier + one a time mage can touch a target and the touched target gains fast healing 5 for 2d8 + her dexterity modifier rounds. This ability does not stack with fast healing granted by magic items or nonpermanent magical effects. This ability can be used one additional time per day at 14th level and ever seven levels thereafter.
Time Shield (Sp): At 8th level, a time mage can use Entropic Shield as a personal spell, with a duration of 2d10 + her dexterity modifier rounds, a number of times per day equal to her charisma modifier + one and one additional time per day at 16th level and every eight levels thereafter. Her caster level equals her class level.
Reflect (Sp): At 10th level, a time mage can use Spell Turning as a personal spell, with a duration of 2d6 + his/her dexterity modifier per rounds, a number of times per day equal to her charisma modifier + one and one additional time per day at 20th level and ever ten levels thereafter. The number of spell levels that are turned are unlimited during this time. Her caster level equals her class level.
Time Stop (Sp): Beginning at 20th level, each day a time mage can stop time a total number of rounds equal to 10 + her Dexterity bonus. A time mage may choose to divide this abilty among multiple uses, and she doesn’t have to use it all at once. Using time stop is a swift action. Her caster level equals her class level.
Epic Time Mage
|24th||Distort +12d6, Speed +80|
|30th||Distort +15d6, Speed +100|
6 + Int modifier skill points per level.
Gnome Time Mage Starting Package
Weapons: Heavy Mace.
Skill Selection: Pick a number of skills equal to 2 + Int modifier.
Gold: 38 gp.