The Ashborn (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
 The Ashborne
The typical Ashborne is emotionally and mentally unstable and therefor a loner... the nature of their people creates a sort of division between each and every one. However there are few that are stable enough to form small encampments where their own kind are welcome to settle down. These places are called, Pits. Those Ashborne who are stable enough to be considered sentient are usually still have the innate urge to be alone whenever they can. Ashborne adventurers are the few that were not only stable enough to join Pits, but also social enough to seek out companionship.
 Physical Description
The typical Ashborne males stands between 4'10" and 6'2", sharing the slightly more diverse range of height than their human progenitors. While females go anywhere between 4'5" and 5'10". The Ashborne's hair comes in shades of white, black, and anything in between, their hair is often not uniformly colored and has steaks of the main colors polar shade. The skintone of the Ashborne is often considered to be a sign of their connection to dark forces, however it is no more than a mutation just as their hair is: their skin ranges from dark stoney pale red, to chalky white with a hint of blue or purple. Their skin changes colors to it's polar shade where their bones create their features: cheeks, jaw, brow, eyes. The eyes of an Ashborne are what give one away; Dark pits of black with a single cross like figure in the center of the orbs that are their eyes, this cross pupil is only visible when like shines on the back of their eyes (much like a dog or a cat).
More defining features of the Ashborne is the rough scaly/stoney portions of their forearms and lower legs ending in the claws they have on both. Their ears are a jagged point, often considered a demonic trait, their teeth tend to have elongated canines and all they have twice as many canines as a human would reaching to the back of their jaws.
The Ashborne often find friends in humans, dwarves, gnomes, and any psionic race. The reason being that Ashborne seem to be able to passively detect the thoughts of psionic races due to their irregular brains. In terms of class the same is mostly true; they remain neutral... however the Ashborne have a deep seething hatred for arcanists born into them from their upbringing and their history. They can still work without effort with Fighters, Monks, Barbarians, Druids, Clerics, Paladins, Rogues, Rangers and any other classes of those sorts.
Given that the Ashborne are born from Sorcery, they share it's alignments and are often chaotic. But the real factor would be the stability of the Ashborne in question, the less stable are most often Chaotic Evil, or Neutral... however these are not the Ashborne you need fear, rather it is the Ashborne who is stable. While adventuring Ashborne are still more or less chaotic, the lawful inclination usually only takes place when an Ashborne begins to age out of the stability and become a different brand of insane. They become diabolical and evil. Of course, this is all the norm of their race and can be deviated from.
The Ashborne are named for the volcanic places they call their homes, since they are immune to the harmful gasses that come from the earth high above they take these places as their homes as a means of defense. Often the Ashborne will live in caves high in volcanic peaks, or in large encampments called 'Pits' where they gather with their own kind. The telltale signs of an Ashborne pit are scorched jagged bones from dead Ashborne which they toss away from the encampment when another unknown Ashborne dies. A lone Ashborne (unstable) will leave a similar collection outside his cave from those he has eaten (they may not be exclusively Ashborne bones).
The Ashborne think the idea of religion is completely ridiculous, that any righteous force would not require it's believers to worship them. As a generalization the Ashborne race looks down at religion as if it were a sort of con, this however doesn't mean they do not believe that the deities exist, only that those that worship them and act as prophets though churches are corrupt and using their religion as a way of control, and taking money from the naive.
Of course even the Ashborne have their traditions, believing that when one(Ashborne)dies they return to the earth from which they were created. They find volcanic vents and they decorate it's rim (if it has none, they make one out of a cement like substance) with the skulls of the fallen Ashborne that actually did something for the Pit. Whether this is a way of thanking them, or simply a silly ritual is unknown to the outside world but to the Ashborne it is an honor to be placed in such a way.
Ashborne often speak Common, however the more stable of them naturally know the elemental language, Ignan(fire).
Ashborne are not named, rather they are titled by the population they are grown with based on their actions.
 Racial Traits
- +2 Strength(STR) or Dexterity(DEX), +2 Constitution(CON) this choice is irreversible, -2 to Charisma(CHA). The Ashborne are a touch and strong race, however they are not the best with common community interaction.
- Ashborne gain the Elemental(fire) subtype when it is considered advantageous to be so.
- Ashborne or a Medium sized Race
- base land speed is 40 feet:
- [Obsidian Arrow](Natural): The Ashborne's scaled arms can grow obsidian spikes that can be thrown by the Ashborne. These spikes deal 1d6 damage at melee, and 1d4 damage at a range of ten feet. Either has a 50% chance to shatter and leave obsidian shards in the victim that inflict 1d4 damage per round until the shards are removed with a heal check. (DC=10+1/2 character Level + Strength Modifier)
- [Steelskin](Natural): The Ashborne's skin can become steel once per day for 1d4+Constitution Mod rounds, this grants the Ashborne a -10 Damage reduction(DR), and a +4 to their Armor Class(AC).
- [Detect Thought] (Natural): The Ashborne can detect surface thoughts ONLY of psionic races/classes.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Ignan. BONUS LANGUAGES: Elven, Dwarven, Goblin, or any other Elemental Languages
- Favored Class: Barbarian (STR), or Rogue (DEX)
- Level Adjustment:
 Vital Statistics
- It seems to others that the Ashborne to not age passed middle Age. (Equation for Ashborne: human agex5)
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||5' 6"||+1d10 inches||190 lb.||+2d12 lb.|
|Female||4' 10"||+1d10 inches||150 lb.||+2d10 lb.|