Tanreiss (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
Tanreiss are as varied as humans personality-wise. There seem to be some common traits among them, however. On the surface, many tanreiss seem a bit lazy, even lethargic. Many prefer to laze about all day talking or playing simple games. Once given a task they deem worthy of their abilities, however, they instantly perk up and devote all their strength fulfilling their duty before returning to their lazy lifestyles.
Other tanreiss are much more active. They are always at work or play. Even in the few times they are seen idling, they may be jogging in place or swishing their tails around. They sometimes call their brethren lazy and grow frustrated at their slothful manner.
Tanreiss tend to be very proud of their ability. They are known to brag to others and engage in various games, duels, and challenges to prove their superiority. One thing of note: most tanreiss find the terms "demi-human" and "sub-human" very insulting and will not hesitate to attack, verbally or physically, those who wronged them in this way. Those in more integrated areas believe themselves to be just as human as "humans", while the ones who live away from most other races simply don't like being associated with "those people" or being deemed less than a human.
Of course, most tanreiss don't conform to any of these brief descriptions. It can be hard to pin down the exact nature of tanreiss.
A typical tanreiss is quite the sight to behold, about 6–6½ feet in height and strongly built, males much moreso than females. Tanreiss have long ears, similar to that of an elf, about a foot in length for females, half that for males. Their well-toned limbs end in fierce claws. Tanreiss have long, deft tails that are usually seen thrashing about, as if they were cutting the air itself. Tanreiss have somewhat more body hair than humans in general, but the consistency and feel is more like the soft fur of a cat. The pattern and color of this body fur varies from person to person.
Their visages resemble that of humans, with some noticeable differences. For one, tanreiss who opens its mouth reveals its large sharp fangs made for ripping and tearing into flesh. Many tanreiss have odd lines on their faces, as if someone had applied war paint on them. The exact color, shape, and location varies. Finally, tanreiss have long, thick hair growing from their scalps. This beautiful hair resembles a mane, and is many tanreiss' pride and joy. A male tanreiss with a full beard indeed looks much like a humanoid lion. Female tanreiss have much less facial hair than males, with long sideburns at the very most.
Though feared by other races for their build, many find tanreiss charming once they get to know them. In more integrated societies, tanreiss are usually seen as a boon. Their typically laid-back natures fosters a mellow atmosphere when one is around them. However, they are never afraid brag about their great size and strength, although many times it's all in good fun.
Those who reside in the more isolated villages tend to be less welcoming to other races. Many of these tanreiss see strangers of other races as invaders who want nothing more than to steal their land and their lives. It is not unheard of for travellers to be attacked on sight. In general, the more integrated the community is and the closer it is to civilizations populated by other races, the more accepting tanreiss are of foreigners.
Tanreiss are commonly hired for tasks that require great strength, but many are regulated to menial labor. Others search for riches as mercenaries and adventurers. There are a few rogue tanreiss who use their natural speed and strength to ransack towns and attack travellers, particularly in poor or rural areas. In regions where bandit attacks are common, public opinion of tanreiss is understandably low.
Tanreiss tend slightly towards chaotic alignments. They pride individual strength, both physical and mental. They have no particular leanings towards either good or evil.
Though they are said to have originated in the deep jungle, tanreiss thrive in many regions of the world. They typically occupy the same lands as humans.
Tanreiss don't have any particular leanings towards any of the well-known deities. The ways they worship vary greatly from culture to culture and region to region.
Most tanreiss know the common language as well as their native tongue, Heloss. Heloss is a complicated mixture of normal words, growls, roars, and nonverbal signals.
Tanreiss like a wide variety of names. Many tanreiss use naming conventions of other races, tending towards more regal sounding names. Some use names given to their ancestors. Others just make up names that sound good.
- Male: Gaol, Alexander, Rex, Iwo, Knoll, Fernando
- Female: Vermuse, Ralis, Rouge, Astrid, Victoria
- +2 Strength, +2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution, -2 Intelligence: Tanreiss are nimble and strong but fairly fragile, especially early on in life. They aren't as learned as other races, either.
- Humanoid (Feline): Tanreiss qualify for feline feats by virtue of their subtype.
- Medium: As Medium creatures, tanreiss have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Tanreiss base land speed is 30 feet.
- Low-Light Vision: A tanreiss can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
- Light Sensitivity: Tanreiss are dazzled in bright sunlight or under the radius of a daylight spell. A tanreiss' eyes don't adjust well to bright light.
- Claws and Fangs (Ex): A tanreiss may choose to deal slashing or piercing damage with its unarmed strikes. This ability does not confer proficiency with unarmed strikes.
- Sprint (Ex): Tanreiss are unusually fast runners. A tanreiss making a charge or withdrawal action can move up to triple its base land speed (double for a partial charge). A running tanreiss moves up to five times its base land speed. A tanreiss with the run feat runs at 6x its base land speed.
- Scent (Ex): A tanreiss can detect opponents by scent within 30 feet. If the opponent is upwind, the range increases to 60 feet; if downwind, it drops to 15 feet. Strong scents, such as smoke or rotting garbage, can be detected at twice the ranges noted above. Overpowering scents, such as skunk musk or troglodyte stench, can be detected at triple normal range. When a tanreiss detects a scent, the exact location of the source is not revealed - only its presence somewhere within range. The tanreiss can take a move action to note the direction of the scent. Whenever the tanreiss comes within 5 feet of the source, the tanreiss pinpoints the source’s location.
- +2 racial bonus on Survival checks. Thanks to their sharp senses and claws, as well as their ability to sprint, Tanreiss make natural hunters.
- +2 racial bonus on Intimidate checks. Tanreiss are keenly aware of their great stature and use it well to scare friend and foe alike.
- +4 racial bonus on Balance and Listen checks. Tanreiss have exceptionally good balance and hearing.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Heloss. Bonus Languages: Any (except for secret languages, such as Druidic).
- Favored Class: Any.
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|32 years||48 years||65 years||+2d20 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||5' 6"||+2d12||180 lb.||× 2d6 lb.|
|Female||5' 0"||+2d10||130 lb.||× 2d4 lb.|
A tanreiss qualifies, or can qualify, for the following feats by virtue of its race, type, or abilities.
|Enhanced Scent||Wis 13, racial scent ability||Your racial scent abilities work more effectively than others of your race.|
|Fangs of the Feline||Feline Race||You gain a secondary bite attack.|
|Cat Snatch||Bite attack, Feline Race||You may start a grapple as a free action with your bite attack.|
|Improved Natural Attack||Natural weapon, base attack bonus +4.||Your natural weapons increase in damage.|
|Pouncing Kitty||Feline Race, Natural weapons||You may make a full attack after a charge.|
|Magnificent Pride||Tanreiss||You gain +2 Cha.|
|Noble Vigor||Tanreiss||You gain +2 Con.|
|Perfect Senses||Tanreiss||You no longer have light sensitivity, and your natural senses improve dramatically.|
|Quick Scent||Wis 15, Racial scent ability||Your racial scent abilities work more quickly than others of your race.|
|Strength of Kings||Tanreiss||You gain +2 Str.|
|Tanreiss Ambusher||Tanreiss||You can charge flat-footed opponents for more damage.|
|Tanreiss Lunge||Tanreiss, BAB +6||You can make a full attack after a charge.|
|Tanreiss Roar||Tanreiss||You can Intimidate multiple foes at once.|
|Deafening Roar||Tanreiss, Tanreiss Roar||You can deafen opponents with your Intimidating roar.|
|Terrifying Air||Tanreiss||You scare others just by existing.|
|Toughened Hide||Tanreiss||You gain +2 natural armor.|
|Improved Natural Armor||Natural armor, Con 13.||Your natural armor bonus increases by 1.|