Talk:Vartexion (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
 Bite and Claw damage?
>.< i need some help i dont know where i would fine a claw and bite table to give the rough attack damage of a large creature with claw and bite. >.<
- Alright, well, first I need to know a little about your race. Is it humanoid? Should we be basing the claws and bites off of insects, mammals, or dragons, for example? My first instinct is to just check the Claw and Bite damage of dragons, here. These will be likely too strong to just pick "large" and transfer that over, but subtracting a size category and using medium stats would probably be fine. I'd recommend a 1d6 for claws, and a d4 for bites, if claws are the primary attack; or a 1d8 bite and 1d4 claws if bite is the primary natural attack. You could go with 1d8/1d6 primary/secondary attacks as well, considering they are large creatures.
- Edit: It looks like you're going with some sort of big wolf/dog race, so I'd suggest looking at the Monster manual entries for Dire Lion, Dire Tiger, and Dire Wolf for suggested damages, and of course, you can check out the table for bite and claw damage on the page for lycanthropy.--Badger 13:40, 6 November 2010 (MDT)
- Uh, yeah. That seems pretty reasonable. The bite/claw on the lycanthrope page is for the hybrid form, if I'm not mistaken. Hybrid is the traditional image of "werewolf", which seems very similar to what you've based your race on. I'd say that would be a reasonable decision. --Badger 17:48, 6 November 2010 (MDT)
 A few problems
- I have no idea what "*2 Constitution" is supposed to by, but I suspect it isn't supposed to mean "double constitution", so fix that.
- Celestial is not a subtype, so you should remove that.
- Fill in what it means to be large (-1 to attack rolls and AC and so on, this can be copied from another large race)
- You need to change what your HD is. I'm guessing you just want Monstrous Humanoid, so read up on those and fix the ECL to work in line with that.
- I'd copy the text of what "Fear" should do from another creature/race, because your version is sloppy and a tad confusing.
- If you don't have Spell like or Psi like abilities, just remove those bullet points
- Add "Any, except secret languages" after Bonus Languages, unless you want to restrict them.
- The D's in your Claw/Bite table should be lower-case d's. (this is a nit-picky thing, but you might as well fix it)
- If you're only giving the race 1 racial HD, there is no point to it. You should either give it more, or just make it a Level adjustment and drop the extra HD.
- I'm not sure if this race really warrants a +3 LA, I think maybe +2 would be fine, but let me think on that before you change it.
- After all these mechanical things, there is a lot of fluff/flavor text that needs work. I'm going to add the wording template until you sort that out. Someone may offer to help with that; I usually don't.
--Badger 18:29, 6 November 2010 (MDT)
- Ok so if celestial isnt a subtype where would i put it? —The preceding unsigned comment was added by Ohgren (talk • contribs) . Please sign your posts!
- Celestial would replace "Humanoid" So, your race would be Celestial (Shapechanger, Extraplanar). --Badger 18:42, 6 November 2010 (MDT)
- OK now what do u mean by fluff/flavour it up, koldron is here he'd understandit better >.< im a bit slow at understanding things
- You need to read through and make sure all the sentences make sense. You have enough actual content, you just need to proofread it. Currently there are a few mistakes and it can be hard to follow in some places. Just read it a few times to yourself and try to make it flow better. --Badger 18:47, 6 November 2010 (MDT)
- k well i got what i could see and it seems to make sence but the sentances are mixed up >.< --Ohgren 20:14, 6 November 2010 (MDT)
 The fear Explanation
the fear thing is something i thought of for the race. its sort of a thing the Vantexion has to make its opponent scared of it. The main thing about the Vartexion is that its fierce looking and its size makes others run from it.
its basicly a glare that has to make i contact and make the enemy do a moral check
- Alright, I think that is basically the same as Cause Fear, which a lot of creatures have. This is the page for the spell, which you can just incorporate by saying "Instill Fear: A vartexion can use Cause Fear (as the spell) a number of times per day equal to ____ with a DC of 10 + 1/2 ECL. --Badger 18:56, 6 November 2010 (MDT)
- What do u think of using the charisma modifier for the amount per day?? --Ohgren 20:13, 6 November 2010 (MDT)