Talk:Thief of Souls (3.5e Prestige Class)
From D&D Wiki
Power - 10/5 I give this class a 10 out of 5 beacause:
1. It gets skill 6 skills/lvl and access to a HUGE range of skills
2. Sneak attack increases per a normal thief
3. Spell levels increase per a normal wizard
4. Insta death attack at 9
5. Becomes a spelltheif at level 7 with no level restriction on spells stolen
6. Lvl 10 ability is incredible powerful and reads as if its permanent duration
7. 2/3 saves increase at strong rate
This would be overpowered even if it didn't get any special class abilities. You get to be a rogue and a wizard with no drawbacks and better: you get the rogues base attack, and better saves than either class gets.
To make this prestige not completely broken I would:
1. Remove the level 7 and 9 abilities
2. Put limits on the level 5 ability (it scales infinitely, and alot of creatures can have high HD without a matching challenge rating)
3. Pick rogue or caster. You can gain standard increases in casting level or sneak attack, but not both.
a. Increase the other at a lesser level. Since the class seems rogue oriented, maybe caster level every other level.
b. Or increase caster level every level and 2 sneak attack increases across all 10 levels
4. Drop skills to 2 or 3/level. Rogues get so many skills to make up for very few abilities
5. Make the level 10 ability either be lower your age, or be a shapechange. Not both
--18.104.22.168 17:07, 27 June 2012 (MDT)
Wording - 3/5 I give this class a 3 out of 5 because Some of the abilities are worded vague (see level 10 ability). Also, wording seems to invite abusively powerful interpretations --22.214.171.124 17:07, 27 June 2012 (MDT)
Flavor - 1/5 I give this class a 1 out of 5 because Its basically a list of cool abilities to give someone. The level 3 power is interesting, but there is no background or history for the prestige class. How does it fit in? How does one because a Thief of Souls if they are the only ones who can make the daggers, yet you need a dagger from one to become one. What do others think of them? Are they universally reviled and hunted? --126.96.36.199 17:07, 27 June 2012 (MDT)