Talk:The Wish and the Word (3.5e Optimized Character Build)
From D&D Wiki
Sublime Chord doesn't work the way listed. A sublime chord adds their SC caster levels to their existing arcane class, if there is more than one, they choose one of them. -- Draco18s 126.96.36.199 15:42, 13 October 2008 (MDT)
- This has been brought up before, and addressed before, and has also been noted: various erratas since will force a few changes to the build. Surgo 18:03, 13 October 2008 (MDT)
the ultimate duel
- Pun-pun would win as his initiative is arbitrarily high and thus he would go first, instagibing them both with some bs ability. If The Wish had a contingent spell set to 'being attacked' then its something of a toss up though, as nothing from it would kill pun-pun it would have to be an escape mechanism, annulling the entire encounter.--188.8.131.52 14:40, 11 October 2009 (MDT)
Note: A complication is the limitation on special effects (3.5 PHB 171). "With the exception of dodge bonuses, most circumstance bonuses, and racial bonuses, only the better bonus works." Additionally, under Combining Magical Effects (3.5 PHB 172) "Two bonuses of the same type don't stack, even if they come from different spells," in combination with, "In cases when two or more identical spells are operating in the same area or on the same target, but at different strengths, only the best one applies." This disqualifies the Word's Ioun Stone "addiction" which, in turn, massively decreases his/her spell power, as well as only applying to one caster class at a time (most likely player's discretion per round). -- 14 Mar 2010
- there is an argument for untyped bonus' stacking. Since the bonus to caster level is an untyped bonus and on a slotless item its argued they stack. if it was an enhancement, racial, sacred, profane, or some other kind it wouldn't, but this is untyped and untyped stack with untyped. like synergy bonus'. while most DM's might not like it, it works officially i believe. its cheap as all hell, but hey if it works it works--Name Violation 04:41, 15 March 2010 (UTC)
- Even untyped bonuses are still explicitly prevented from stacking if they “come from the same source” and multiple castings of the same spell are given as example of this. Now it is true that multiple copies of the same magic item is not specifically mentioned, but we are deep into DM bribe area here. Be sure to practice those puppy-dog eyes (not divulging the rest of the build plan will probably help). If he/she says “sure” and laughs manically, be very afraid. edwin (talk) 13:46, 15 January 2013 (MST)
-Not sure if this was ever brought up but since this is Forgotten Realms, wouldn't Mystra's Refusal apply? Essentially, she would just deny them their heinous powers and deliver a beating. - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Does Mystra's Refusal apply to spell-likes and supernatural abilities? Because by the time they're enough of a threat to register, that's what they're using. --184.108.40.206 19:16, 29 May 2011 (MDT)
There's rules (in the PHB) about how much extra xp you can carry at a time. The thought bottle sets your xp to a high level... "If, for some extraordinary reason, a character gains enough XP to advance two or more levels at once, he or she instead advances one level and gains just enough XP to be 1 XP short of the next level" And as the stored experience would then be gone... yeah. It isn't quite as broken as it might seem. The Word build is still possible...but as he'd have to gain all those levels again, he's almost certain to have been killed by enemies made long before he goes through the last life. Also, an anti magic field would drop the stones, likewise a disjunction.
Marginalize the Wish
- Wish spell cannot create a ring of infinite wishes, as the wish spell cannot create artifacts.
- You get a broken ring of infinite wishes (this is more likely given that the wish build calls for wishes from evil outsiders).
Marginalize the word
- immunity to death effects/paralysis/blindness/deafness
- limit caster level to HD, except where specifically stated, or where effective caster level is used
- Orange Ioun stone grants +1 caster level... to one class (it can be read like this)
- Ur Priest only gains from natural caster level, unaugmented by items
- The Gods, with Arcane Mastery, can create spells on the fly. They create a scrying spell that allows them to bypass mind blank. This allows them to find The pair, with a wish/miracle they can remove all their items. A sufficiently powerful mortal could do this too.
- increased spell resistance grants 20 to a gods spell resistance and it stacks.
- rejuvenation makes deities come back, except when killed by more powerful deities
- divine splendor: mortals withing 10 feet per divine rank die
- Just to start: blasphemy and holy word aren't death effects.