Talk:Sniper (3.5e Prestige Class)
From D&D Wiki
PrCs should not have ability score requirements.
I changed the reflex save to normal and gave the sniper the grace class feature.
The other class features need to be labeled as Ex, Su, or Sp.
"Save poison use" is in the table, but there's no text description. —Sledged 13:07, 27 September 2006 (MDT)
 Rating 2/10
I give this Prestige Class a 2/10. The feats necessary to enter the class make it unwieldy and restrictive, and the abilities granted are incredible. For example, the "sniper" class ability by 9th level (around 16th-ish character level) ensures either that a character (using a good weapon from far away) will have many opportunities to strike (at least twice per round for 1d10+10d6 damage each with an unmagical heavy crossbow), and--with such high hide modifiers and distance bonuses-- is nigh unspotable. Further, the class has a good attack progression and amount of skills.
In fact, the class can be easily manipulated. Using a pair of hand crossbows, for example, a ranger would only need to be 60 feet away to fire off a veritable volley of small missiles (with rapid shot and the class ability, this character at 18th level could easily release nearly 70d6 damage (245 points on average! And without magic crossbows. With +4 Flaming Hand Crossbows, the damage would be about 305 damage) each round). This, quite frankly, is far too over-powered. --EldritchNumen 17:05, 30 November 2006 (MST)
- Both balance-wise and thematically, it might be appropriate for the sniper to only apply bonuses and abilities for a single well-aimed shot per round. This may fix some things, but the class may be unsalvagable. --Nil Athelion
 Rating 2/10
On a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is abysmal, 5 is adequate, and 10 is damned inspired and well implemented, I rate this entry: 2. Inadequate writing. Synergises poorly with the party concept. Has glaring exploitable loopholes. Does not contribute well to a four-round combat. High skill requirements AND high feat requirements make the class prohibitively expensive. Bonuses are unnamed and stack with everything. --Dmilewski 10:46, 8 December 2006 (MST)
 Rating - 1/10
I give this Prestige Class a 1/10 because this is a downright awful class. As it is, it will never work! There are about amillion things wrong with this class, no DM should ever allow this in a game! Are you a power gamer at all? Darknight227 10:45, 20 June 2007 (MDT)
- Not everyone is a powergamer, man- lots of people just play for fun. I also debolded your comment because it was a pain to read. But I agree, this class is madness in a tank. Too many required feats, too unclear on what its feats do, and above all, BAD WRITING. Good concept, but it's already been done, and done better. 1/10. --The Archivist 07:51, 20 September 2007 (MDT)
- I would say this class needs some work... Christ... --Green Dragon 23:37, 23 September 2007 (MDT)
 Rating - 2/10
I agree with the 2/10 rating. Instead of just bashing, here a more detailed list of problems:
- Requirements: PrCs explicitely do not require ability scores, so no Dex 16
- Requirements: 7 feats is just too much
- Sniping: Too much stuff in one ability. Writing full sentences would help readability.
- damage get +Xd6 when the target is at two or more range increment: So you do more damage when the target is far away? And what's X?
- Greater Hide: The class already gets a bonus to Hide through Sniping
- Grace: I hate this ability, really. Whoever wrote the Swashbuckler started a bad trend with this. Saves should either be good or bad saves, there's no need to give flat save bonuses as class specials. Especially not if the class already gets a good Ref save.
- Fast Sniping: This is like the Manyshot feat, just in broken mechanics. Free actions are bad design. What kind of action is "one shot"?
- Deadly Sniping: "Hey orc, don't move I want to shoot ya!" This ability is a bit useless without a wand of Hold Monster. --Mkill 21:51, 20 June 2007 (MDT)
- "Whoever wrote the Swashbuckler started a bad trend with this"
- Both the paladin and duelist came before swashy. You just don't like 3 level classes do you? :)
- As an aside, I think sniping should be on par with skirmish, but only for ranged weapons.
- Camouflage instead of Greater Hide
- Req feats should be core only. What about Rapid Shot & Shot on the Run? That's 5.
- 10 levels is stupid maybe 5, or even 3! --Pwsnafu 18:20, 20 September 2007 (MDT)
Sniper? but we already have Master Sniper! we don't need two PrCs that are the same! I think we should delete this, as we already have a better version of practically the same thing. --Sam Kay 11:48, 27 October 2007 (MDT)
- Are they still the same thing? --Green Dragon 11:09, 1 November 2007 (MDT)
- Yeah. --Sam Kay 14:10, 16 November 2007 (MST)
Power - 4/5 I give this class a 4 out of 5 because it's seems fair balanced. -- saint23thomas @ 02:15, 5 June 2010 (UTC)
Wording - 5/5 I give this class a 5 out of 5 because the wording seems fine. -- saint23thomas @ 02:15, 5 June 2010 (UTC)
Flavor - 1/5 I give this class a 1 out of 5 because it has no flavor. -- saint23thomas @ 02:15, 5 June 2010 (UTC)
<!-- !!!REMOVE THIS FIRST LINE OF THIS PAGE BEFORE YOU SAVE!!! (i.e. the "nowiki" tag) --> == Rating == '''Power - <<<3>>>/5''' I give this class a <<<3>>> out of 5 because <<<It should have something to use for urban or against things that cant get crits against it.>>> --~~~~ '''Wording - <<<4>>>/5''' I give this class a <<<Insert Your Rating Here>>> out of 5 because <<<insert why you gave the rating and how to improve it>>> --~~~~ '''[[Help:Standards and Formatting (DnD Guideline)|Formatting]] - <<<Insert Your Rating Here>>>/5''' I give this class a <<<Insert Your Rating Here>>> out of 5 because <<<insert why you gave the rating and how to improve it>>> --~~~~ '''Flavor - <<<Insert Your Rating Here>>>/5''' I give this class a <<<Insert Your Rating Here>>> out of 5 because <<<insert why you gave the rating and how to improve it>>> --~~~~