Talk:Pious Crusader (3.5e Optimized Character Build)
From D&D Wiki
Something I've Been Pondering
This is sort of the same subject, but what if you were a aasimar monk 2/paladin X? That would give good saves overall (getting 3/3/3 from the monk and evasion) and then maybe look to add templar (Complete Warrior)/other class/prestige class for Mettle (like Evasion but for Fort/Will). Being an aasimar gives +2 on Wisdom and Charisma. Heh, that works out better than I though. I'm going to have to get back to you on that... -- Jota 20:48, 8 June 2009 (MDT)
- Good idea. I thought about Aasimar as they do the other ability buffs you just have to work around the Level Adjustment. If that isn't a big deal and the DM is ok with it they would make a wonderful base race. I looked into the monk as well and I felt that the benefits of a few levels in monk wouldn't out weigh the benefits from the other classes.
- Lesser Assimar (from one of the Faerun books) is LA +0. No Outsider subtype, otherwise exactly the same. Monk 2 will grant you feats and stupid boosts to your saves. --TK-Squared 13:54, 9 June 2009 (MDT)
- Found it on pg 191 in Player's Guide to Faerun. Type changes from Native outsider to planetouched humanoid. Only difference is that as a lesser Aasimar you are susceptible to spells targeting humanoids and outsiders. Fair enough trade for no EL. I will update main page and look into Monk further.
This in no way warrants deletion.21:30, 2 September 2009 (MDT)
- What does this template bring to the table that's optimized? Is it good at defending? Dealing damage? Controlling the battlefield? --Ghostwheel 21:31, 2 September 2009 (MDT)
- If those are your concerns then it is in need of playtesting, not deletion, and you have further proved my point. 21:33, 2 September 2009 (MDT)
- You're the one who's saying it shouldn't be deleted; burden of proof's on you to prove that this build has something valuable that shouldn't be deleted. --Ghostwheel 21:35, 2 September 2009 (MDT)
- No, the "burden of proof" is on the person/peoples wanting it deleted to prove it meets deletion criteria. 21:36, 2 September 2009 (MDT)
- It brings defense to the table. It's focused on taking advantage of good base saves and combining them with useful abilities to basically make the character immune to any spell with a save. I explained it in the description. -_- --Taktix 19:04, 13 September 2009
- Using the precedent set by the still-being-playtested Reflexman build that was placed wrongly for deletion by the same user, I have put the proper template up now. 17:47, 13 September 2009 (MDT)
Possibly go with hexblade (complete warrior) instead of pious templar. Hexblades get mettle at 3rd, but they also get Arcane Resistance, which gives an untyped bonus to saves versus spells equal to your charisma modifier. It's also a base class, so you don't have to wait until level 6 to take it. Also opens up a good save build option for non-good characters and npcs. This also assumes paladin options from UA for CG, CE, LE alignments.