Talk:Mighty Death-Blow (3.5e Feat)

From D&D Wiki

Jump to: navigation, search

I am not entirely sure how ballanced this feat is. Can someone check it for me? I would really like this feat to work. Also, why are the table titles below the table rather than above them?Sam Kay 09:42, 21 June 2007 (MDT)

Another hero coming to "save" the fighter... Didn't we already have enough of that on the WotC forum already? Let me put it bluntly. The real and perceived problems about the fighter can't be solved by just one feat. That's ridiculous. You can't solve
  • Useless out of combat
  • dependent on equipment
  • so save-or-die-effects
  • no innate defense against stuff that does attack other things than your AC and hit points
  • maneuvers like trip and grapple become impossible against the extremely oversized enemies of high CRs
all in one go.
Want advice? When designing a feat, design a feat, that is balanced against other feats, that uses usual feat mechanics. Your feat is none of that. Want to "save" the fighter - rewrite the class. But leave the feat system alone.
To answer your question, of course the feat is much much more powerful than a usual or epic feat, but you intended that because you wanted to power up the fighter. --Mkill 10:30, 21 June 2007 (MDT)

I thought so. It should be better now (more aptly named also). Sam Kay 08:16, 22 June 2007 (MDT)

Looks like you have completely changed the feat. --Mkill 10:07, 12 July 2007 (MDT)

Balanced?[edit]

Given the power of a vorpal weapon, I would put this ability at a BAB +18 or better. It's an arguably appropriate feat for 18th-20th level. This compares to a wizard timestopping or gating in a solar. --Dmilewski 08:54, 22 June 2007 (MDT)

Upped ability to 18th level. (Nobody has a vorpal weapon at 8th.) Required power attack, cleave, great cleave, and improved critical. (All common enough feats.) Arguably, you should also have weapon focus, weapon specialization, improved weapon focus, improved weapon specialization, etc.
At 5 attacks per round, with haste adding +1 attack, and the two-weapon fighting suite, that's a 10% chance per attack of getting a natural 19-20, or a 60% chance per full attack that you will get the vorpal effect to trigger. (Compare this to 30% for not having this feat.) Add in a second vorpal weapon, and you are up to 80% per full attack. Given that, crank up the requirements so that only a weapon expert gets this. --Dmilewski 09:02, 12 July 2007 (MDT)
I see only one feat that is somewhat similar, and that is SRD:Vorpal Strike (Epic Feat). Mhh. As an 18th level feat, this one is almost Epic. It might work. It's a bit hard to balance the game at a point when some classes have Time Stop and Wish at their disposal... Since the feat is tied to a weapon enchantment that is pretty expensive (+5, the cheapest is 72,000 for +1 Vorpal) the feat is limited by the availability of money. A sunder, a disarm and a targeted Dispel Magic on the weapon will also defeat the feat.
What makes the Vorpal ability hard to balance is that it is not limited by a saving throw, but by the 5% chance to roll a 20 and the critical confirm roll. If the player finds a way to auto-confirm the crit this feat is quite a killer (literally).
Another idea for a feat like this to give the fighter some kind of save-or-die effect. Something like take a -4 penalty to hit, but on a successful hit the target must make a fortitude save vs. 10 + half fighter level + Int (?) bonus or it's dead (you cut the head off). --Mkill 10:07, 12 July 2007 (MDT)

f332qd6 insurance[edit]

oc70w7fr

uwgucqcg

insurance

anygc1l1

ippxenqk

Personal tools
Home of user-generated,
homebrew, pages!
d20M
miscellaneous
admin area
Terms and Conditions for Non-Human Visitors