Talk:Genelf (4e Race)
From D&D Wiki
A Few Things
- Speed: While not broken, given the huge amount of other traits this race gets it might be more balanced to reduce their speed to 6.
- Languages: No 4e race starts with more then 2 languages, and Abyssal, Supernal, and Primordial are not languages a race can start with.
- Skill Bonuses: 4e only allows for two skills, getting a bonus of +2 each. More or less and this is unbalanced.
- Elemental Origin/Fey Origin: If your going to include two "origin" keywords the entry should be combined, such as; "Elemental Fey: Your blood is a mixture of Fey and Elemental beings, so you have the fey and elemental keywords. You are considered a fey and/or elemental for the purpose of effects that relate to creature origin."
- Elemental Manifestation: I see where your going with this, but at the moment these are unbalanced against one another and read a little clumsy. You should simplify the bonuses (balancing them better) and try to find a cleaner format to present them with. Still this could be the most defining characteristic of the race if done right.
- Group Awareness: You may want to change "You grant non-elf allies..." with "You grant non-fey allies...".
- Elemental Weapon Proficiency: This sounds horribly clumsy, I think it should be removed completly or just simplified into; "When you make an unarmed attack you add your Constitution modifier to your damage. This damage has a keyword based on your Elemental Manisfestation.", this or something similar (depending on how you handle Elemental Manisfestation) would work better. Then I would work out some racial feats that boost thier unarmed damage or thier proficency with it (ie. Pugilism).
- Elven Weapon Proficiency: This should be dropped completly, or changed into; "You are proficient with the longbow or shortbow."
- Traits: No race should have seven racial traits, the absolute most should be five. I would suggest dropping both Elven Weapon Proficiency and Group Awareness, then merge Elemental Origin and Fey Origin, that would give you five traits.
Thanks for your time. -- Sepsis 10:13, 5 April 2009 (MDT)
Idea for Elemental Manisfestation
Elemental Manifestation: At the time of character creation, choose one elemental manifestation: earthsoul, firesoul, watersoul, or windsoul. That manifestation is part of your nature. Each elemental manifestation offers particular benefits and your appearance is determined by the element you manifest (see "Physical Qualities" below).
- Earthsoul: You gain a +1 to your Fortitude defense and a +1 to your AC. Any powers associated with your elemental nature have the Thunder keyword.
- Firesoul: You gain a +1 to your Reflex defense and gain a +2 to saves against ongoing effects with the Fire keyword. Any powers associated with your elemental nature have the Fire keyword.
- Watersoul: You gain a +1 to your Fortitude defense and a +1 to your Will defense. Any powers associated with your elemental nature have the Cold keyword.
- Windsoul: You gain a +1 to your Reflex defense and a +2 to saves against Immobilize, Restrain, and Slow effects. Any powers associated with your elemental nature have the Lightning keyword.
-- Sepsis 16:25, 5 April 2009 (MDT)