Talk:Catfolk (4e Race)
From D&D Wiki
A Few Things
- Skill Bonuses: I'm not sure Nature fits here, for a cat race I would think Acrobatics would work better.
- Slow Fall: This is worded poorly, and mechanically clumsy. It should say; "Your cat-like nature allows you to always land on your feet. You can always make an Acrobatics check to Reduce Falling Damage even if you are not trained in the skill. If you are trained in Acrobatics you gain a +1 bonus to your checks to Reduce Falling Damage."
- Fearless: I'm not sure I see cats as "fearless" (maybe "lion-folk"), and even so that trait would be way overpowered. The bonus would really only apply to saves, so by 4th level you are pretty much immune to any ongoing Fear effects. That is too much. I think it should be replaced with another "Skill Bonus", such as; "Natural Athelete: Your race is naturally atheletic. You gain a +3 Racial bonus to the Athletics skill."
- Feline Fury: The Effect should only say; "You gain a bonus to your next attack and damage roll equal to your Dexterity modifier.", no need for the "with a minimum of zero.". As well this power should not scale. The race gets a bonus to Dexterity, and as the PC levels their Dexterity will increase (sometimes by Player choice, others not). Without another increase in power this will work fine.
I think once balanced this could be a interesting race. I'd like to see more fluff about their "gypsy-like" trading nature. Thanks for your time. -- Sepsis 02:46, 20 May 2009 (MDT)
- Possible alternative fix for fearless: make it a static +5 racial bonus on saving throws against fear effects (similar to the dwarf's cast-iron stomach). -- Dracomortis 19:27, 20 May 2009 (MDT)
- Just did the fixing. Thanks a bunch for the input! --RanesErrantis 9:19, 29 August 2009
- Some Ideas..
- Get rid of Fearless Curiosity replace it with: Cat Like Reflex's: +3 Reflex
- Replace Slow Fall with 9 Lives: Start your char With 9 extra Life (when you create your charcarter)
- Replace Perception With Stealth
- Change daily Power for a Move Power
- Pounce (Jump Your Speed with out provoking opt attacks)
- I know this changes it alot..
- Just some ideas I though would make an interesting cat race... —The preceding unsigned comment was added by Jib916 (talk • contribs) 01:14, 3 December 2009 (MDT). Please sign your posts!
- My reasoning for nerfing the racial power: as mentioned earlier, it's pretty sick. Compare an Elf Ranger to a Catfolk Ranger. Both of them have DEX 22 and a +4 longbow, and decide to use Great Ram Arrow. The Catfolk Ranger has used Feline Fury first. The Elf does 3d10+10 damage. The Catfolk does 3d10+19, as originally written. That is a HUGE difference, even if it requires the use of an Encounter power to keep up. I think being allowed to double-dip DEX is more than sufficient. It might even need to be nerfed further, but I'll let others be the judge of that.
As well as some balance fixes, I also changed Slow Fall. The updated PHB has rules for hopping down from 10 feet to take no damage and landing on one's feet (a DC 15 acrobatics check), so I changed the catfolk's power to reflect this. Marasmusine 11:13, 14 January 2012 (MST)