Talk:Almost 20 levels Mystic Theurge (3.5e Optimized Character Build)
From D&D Wiki
During this post you forgot to mention the geomancer from complete divine. If you go this you can cut mystic theurge get a few handy abilities and not have to worry about skill ranks in knowledge religion just arcana and nature.
Alternative Source Spell
You can prepare any of your Arcane spell as Divine spells and any of your Divine spell as Arcane spells. An alternative-sourced spell uses up a spell slot from the class that normally grants it, but such spell is casted as if your caster level were 1 level lower. For example, a 1st-level Cleric/6th-level Wizard can prepare in his Wizard slots and later cast a Divine Fireball as a 5th level Wizard.
You cannot cast a spell at a caster level less than the minimum for the spell. The minimum caster-level for an archivist’s 2nd-level spells is caster level 3. Since a 3rd level archivist with AltSS would cast arcane spells as a 2nd-level archivist, and you may not cast 2nd-level archivist spells at caster level 2, 3 levels of archivist is therefore insufficient for meeting the requirements. A 4th level is needed. That is assuming, of course, that you transcribed the feat correctly (I do not have the sourcebook in question). There are, of course, other ways to qualify for Mystic Theurge early;
- Precocious ApprenticeCArc might work if the DM is willing to accept that there is a chance of mis-cast.
- I would (and have) ruled that the pre-req says you must be able to cast second level spells - emphasis on the plural. PA doesn't allow that
- If you can do the qualification in “your sanctum,” Random Metamagic Feat+Sanctum SpellCArc will do just fine.
- As long as at least one of the classes is able to spontaneously cast spells (including, with a non-evil DM, cure spells or summon nature’s ally) Heighten Spell+Versatile SpellcasterRotD combo is pretty hard to argue against.
There are a few more, I believe. The advantage of the last two of these are that you can use them for both your casting lines. For instance, a human Favored Soul 1/Sorcerer 1 with Versatile SpellcasterCArc and Heighten Spell is able to cast a 2nd level divine spell (Heightened Cure Light Wounds) and a 2nd-level arcane spell (Heightened Magic Missile), and thus only need one random level to meet the skill requirement. --edwin 10:32, 23 February 2011 (MST)
- Ah, I get it now. You silently assume the Practiced Spellcaster feat which means you have an extra caster level to spare. That, or one of the chaos/evil/good/healing/knowledge/law/... domains. Perhaps it would make sense to make it explicit. -edwin 19:32, 23 February 2011 (MST)