Talented Magic Swordsman (3.5e Class)
From D&D Wiki
Talented Magic Swordsman
People who develop a magical fountain of power inside their bodies. They become nearly half arcane themselves. However, Instead of becoming Mages they choose to become strong warriors who fancy swordplay in place of spells. They suffer from a brilliant mind which has the ability to absorb learning and see personal events before they happen.
Making a Talented Magic Swordsman
TMS's desire to be strong warriors who defend others from harm. They serve as front-line fighters with a unique array of magic abilities to use against their foes.
Primary Abilities: Intelligence.
Starting Gold: 130gp
Starting Age: Moderate
Class Skills (2 + Int modifier per level, ×4 at 1st level)
All of the following are class features of the Talented Magic Swordsman.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Simple, Martial Weapons. Light, Medium, Heavy Armor.
Quick Thinking (Ex): You see things before they happen. At 1st level you can add your Intelligence Modifier to your Armor Class along with your Dexterity Bonus. This functions as a Dexterity Bonus and does not apply whenever you would be denied your Dexterity Bonus to Armor Class. This Intelligence bonus disregards any Maximum Dexterity Bonus for Armor.
UnNatural Talent (Ex): You are gifted with unnatural abilities. Choose two of your three saving throws, such as Fortitude and Reflex. At 2nd, 5th, 8th, 11th, 14th, 17th, and 20th level you gain a +1 bonus to these two saves.
- At 2nd level you also gain the Weapon Focus Feat.
- At 5th level you also gain the Power Attack Feat.
- At 8th level you can choose to have a successful Opportunity Attack against a moving target deal no damage, knocking them prone instead, as an immediate action.
- At 11th level you also gain the Weapon Specialization Feat.
- At 14th level choose an energy type. All your attacks deal 2d6 damage of this element.
- At 17th level all your attacks deal 4d6 elemental damage of your chosen type.
- At 20th level all your attacks deal 6d6 elemental damage of your chosen type.
Gifted Personage (Su): You are gifted with a magical ability. Choose a School of Magic. At 3rd, 6th, 9th, 12th, 15th, and 18th level you may choose a spell to use from this school of magic. To learn, prepare, or cast a spell, the caster must have an Intelligence score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a casters spell is 10 + the spell level + the caster's Intelligence modifier. These spells require 10 minutes of preparation each, can be used 3 times a day, and are chosen from the Wizard Spell List.
- At 3rd level you can cast one 1st-level spell.
- At 6th level you can cast one 2nd-level spell.
- At 9th level you can cast one 3rd-level spell.
- At 12th level you can cast one 4th-level spell.
- At 15th level you can cast one 5th-level spell.
- At 18th level you can cast one 6th-level spell.
Minor Skill (Ex): You have learned a few new tricks. At 4th, 7th, 10th, 13th, 16th, and 19th level select two non-class skills. You gain a +2 bonus to your chosen skills. You can select the same skills more than once for a maximum bonus of +12.
Also, every time you gain this ability increase all saving throws by +1.
2 + Int modifier skill points per level.
Epic Personage (Su): You are gifted with a magical ability. At 21st, 24th, 27th, and 30th level you may choose a spell to use from your chosen School of Magic. To learn, prepare, or cast a spell, the caster must have an Intelligence score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a casters spell is 10 + the spell level + the caster's Intelligence modifier. These spells require 10 minutes of preparation each, can be used twice a day, and are chosen from the Wizard Spell List.
- At 21st level you can cast one 7th level spell.
- At 24th level you can cast one 8th level spell.
- At 27th level you can cast one 9th level spell.
- At 30th level you can cast two 9th level spells.
Epic Talent (Ex): You are gifted with unnatural abilities. At 22nd,25th, and 28th level you can choose one additional energy type to use when making elemental attacks for 6d6 damage. You can choose which energy type to use immediately before making the attack.
Epic Skill (Ex): You have learned a few old tricks. At 23rd, 26th, and 29th level choose a class skill. You can take-10 with this skill even in stressful or dangerous situations.
Playing a TMS
Religion: By alignment.
Other Classes: Empathy with Arcane and Martial Classes. Apathy with Primal Classes.
Advancement: Multiclass for more depth into your desired party role.
A TMS in the World
|“||Mom said I should have gone to Wizard School. I joined the Milita instead.||”|
|—Luke, Halfling TMS|
Talented Magic Swordsmen have unnatural magical gifts and are firmly tied to arcane powers. They should have become Mages with such gifts but instead fancied Military training and swordplay.
Daily Life: Soldiering with a touch of arcane trickery.
Notables: No notable TMS's.
Organizations: Fighters Guild, Local Militia, or Military.
NPC Reactions: Talented swordsman with strange magic powers.