Spike Lord Paragon (3.5e Racial Paragon Class)
From D&D Wiki
|Editing:||Constructive edits welcome|
Spike Lord Paragon
There are spike lords who are the weak ones, there are the normal ones who serve as guardians of their mountain. Then, there are the strong ones who have grown closer to their Xorn origins. They are the Spike Lord Paragon spike lords, and mark the highest hierarchical ranking.
Making a Spike Lord Paragon
For the honored spike lord, this class is what he takes before all other classes, and then, he multiclasses into any other class. This class is mainly focused on grasping the origins in the earth plane.
Abilities: Strength is important if the Spike Lord will be a guardian, and Intelligence if a psion.
Races: Only Spike Lords can be one with the Xorns, so they are the only race that can join.
Starting Gold: 2d10 × 10 gp (110 gp).
|1st||+0||+2||+2||+2||Improved Spike Powers, Divergent Way|
|2nd||+1||+3||+3||+3||Sharply Improved Spike Powers, Better Earth Glide, Xorn Call|
|3rd||+2||+3||+3||+3||Overpower, Ultimate Earth Glide, Turn air creatures|
Class Skills (4 + Int modifier per level, ×4 at 1st level)
All of the following are class features of the Spike Lord Paragon.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Spike Lord Paragons gain proficiency in simple, martial, and exotic weapons, and light and medium armor.
Improved Spike Powers (Ex): The spike lord paragon chooses a spike power to improve.
- Back Spike Shot: The spikes now deal 2d4 damage instead of 1d6, and now the spike lord can free 2 spikes in a full-round action instead of one.
- Arm Spike Shot: The spikes now deal 1d6 damage instead of 1d4, and the spike lord can fire 2 at the same time from each arm.
- Spike Bristle: The DC for the spike bristle ability increases by 2, and any creature that fails the DC by at least 5 is frightened instead of shaken.
- Spike Growth: Roll 4d6. That amount of spikes grows out of the spike lord's back. This can only be taken once
The Divergent Way (Ex): The spike lord paragon chooses his way, and gets empowered accordingly
- The Magus: The Spike Lord Paragon gets a permanent +2 bonus to intelligence.
- The Gatekeeper: The Spike Lord Paragon gets a permanent +2 bonus to strength.
Sharply Improved Spike Powers (Ex): The spike lord paragon improves his chosen spike power, with certain boosts to the ones that weren't improved. If the spike lord paragon took the spike growth ability, none of his abilities count as improved.
- Back Spike Shot: The spikes now deal 2d6 damage instead of 2d4, and now the spike lord paragon can free 4 spikes in a full-round action instead of one. If it wasn't improved the last time, the spikes deal 2d4 damage instead of 1d6.
- Arm Spike Shot: The spikes now deal 2d3 damage instead of 1d6, and the spike lord paragon can now fire them repeatedly like his back spikes. If that ability was not improved the last time, the spikes now deal 1d6 damage instead of 1d4.
- Spike Bristle: The DC for the spike bristle ability increases by 4, and any creature that fails the DC by at least 5 is panicked instead of frightened. If the ability wasn't improved the last time, the DC increases by 2.
Better Earth Glide (Ex): The spike lord paragon can now move 3/4th of his speed than 1/2 while using earth glide.
Xorn Call (Su): The spike lord paragon emits a cry that attracts all Xorns in a 200 foot radius. The xorns fight to defend the caller. If there are no Xorns, the DM secretly rolls the d20 die. If the result is naturally higher than 15, 1d4 Xorns start coming toward the caller at full speed.
Overpower (Ex): The spike lord paragon gains a permanent +6 damage bonus to all of its natural weapons, the spike shots, and unarmed strikes.
Ultimate Earth Glide (Ex): The Spike Lord paragon can now move at full speed while using earth glide.
Turn Air Creatures (Su): The spike lord paragon can turn air creatures like a good cleric turns undead. The cleric level is 3 and this works exactly like the cleric's ability.
Ex-Spike Lord Paragons
There are none, since there is no code of ethics.
Playing a Spike Lord Paragon
Religion: Still, the spike lord paragon rarely worships any deity. Some may worship nature deities, but others worship none.
Other Classes: The spike lord paragon keeps clear of any other class, unless it's a spike lord.
Combat: A spike lord paragon usually goes under the earth, and glides under the earth like a Xorn until it reaches the back lines and then it unleashes full destruction on its enemies from the inside.
Spike Lord Paragons in the World
|“||Hmm... the humans are assaulting us again. I'd better sneak underneath them and volley them with my spikes. Then, I'll go to the back lines and kill all of the weak wizards and siege vehicles.||”|
|—Lord Underspike, A spike lord druid, the first epic spike lord|
The spike lord paragons fit completely anywhere in the world.
Daily Life: The life varies from day to day, so no two days are alike.
Notables: Lord Underspike, the first epic lord of the spikes. Lord Overspike, the traitor who betrayed the spike lords and forced them to fight against him for a century, and the True One, the last of the epic lords who fought off attempts of Asmodeus and Obox-ob working in tandem to destroy the mountain.
Organizations: These classes are always found in a Pentrarch, a team of 5 paragon spike lords. The pentrarchs usually break up as the spike lord paragons become different classes.
NPC Reactions: It depends on the behavior of the spike lord.
Spike Lord Paragon Lore
Characters with ranks in Knowledge (local) can research Spike Lord Paragons to learn more about them. When a character makes a skill check, read or paraphrase the following, including information from lower DCs.
|15||The Spike Lord paragon is the class of the best spike lords|
|20||The Spike Lord Paragon's abilities involve turning air beasts, gliding through earth like a Xorn really fast, and having more powerful spike attacks.|
|25||Information on a local Pentrarch|
|30||Information on a local Spike Lord Paragon|
Spike Lord Paragon in the Game
These classes are very versatile, and can play a variety of roles, from the assassin who unexpectedly popped out of the ground and attacked the PCs to the spike lord chief who deters balors every day.
Adaptation: Many possible.