Shifters (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
This is not the shifter race of Eberron, it is just a custom race with the same name.
Shifters are often rather warlike and xenophobic, although this is not a rule. They typically live in packs, but loners are not unheard of. Many Shifters avoid civilization, preferring to stay with their own kind. They are fiercely territorial and despise outsiders. They run the gamut from kind-hearted to cruel. Shifters are skilled combatants, and enjoy using natural weapons rather than manufactured ones.
Shifters, also known as the weretouched, are a descendants of lycanthropy cursed individuals. Shifters are known for their ability to act in a bestial or close to nature manner, doing such things as running on all fours, climbing trees, and fighting with bare claws or teeth. Their sense of smell is also heightened, when compared to humans, but they are suggested to have worse social manners, as a race,because they are used to living 'wild', outside of the villages most people settle in. In terms of genetic derivation, they are commonly thought to be the result of crossbreeding between humans and lycanthropes but have become a true-breeding race and In human form they are anywhere from 5'3" to 6'3". Their animal form will determine their build. I.E. A falcon will be slender and light as a bear would be large and muscular. The color of their fur or feathers will also determine the color of their hair and skin color. Their eyes will start at blue when born but can turn purple, green, or yellow as they grow. But they will remain the same in their animal form and their lifespan is about 750 years and reach adult hood at age 50 unless they learn how to control their shifting.
Shifters tend to ally themselves with races sharing beliefs similar to their own, and also races protected by the Divine Angels. They are allied with the Dwarfs, Elves, Gnomes, Faeries, Centaurs, Satyrs, and Merfolk. Shifters get along with almost everyone
Shifters can be of any alignment, but Shifters generally follow their own laws but highly value their freedom and lean toward Chaotic. Neutral is also their general choice because no other can sway their beliefs in right or wrong, but may choose any alignment and they are leaders, especially the rulers, Shifters tend to be Chaotic Good, due to the fact that they are care much about their freedom, they're embodiments of Chaos and Good. Or Shifters are True Neutral because of their shifting ability. Or Shifters are Chaotic Evil because of their wild nature.
Shifters survive in a wide range of habitats, and can be found in tundra, desert, forest,and cities, But most stick to the woods or mountains where their animal form is plentiful. Also where they live will determine possible animal. Loners tend to roam where they will not caring where they are so long as they are on the move. But once a Loner leaves the pack they are not always welcomed back. They are seen as having turned their backs on the pack and shunned.
Most are worshipers of Obad-Hai. It is in their myth that the deity wanted to create a race that lived with nature and not harm it like the animals. So he created them and let them into the world to be one with nature in all its glory and peril and some can be any religion
Traditionally they speak elven or common and may speak to any animal. The more mountainous packs Speak Dwarven instead but few know common due to the lack of interaction. The elder shaman of the pack however is fluent in it and passes the knowledge of the Language to the successor
After a Shifter child takes their form for the first time they take a name of their choosing. Since ever child has a different animal form the names vary and are never the same, plus any other races that they absorb.
- +2 Dexterity, -2 Charisma, +2 strength their animal reflexes aid them, while their natures make them less approachable.
- Medium - gain no bonus
- Shifter base land speed 30ft. (may vary by animal form)
- May shift to animal form at will- free action
- Low-light vision- An Shifter can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar condition of poor illumination. He retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions
- Dark vision- A shifter can see in pitch black darkness for 60 ft
- Weapon Proficiency- Usually dagger,short sword, club, or staff. Rarely bows, but no other weapon is permitted. Blades cannot be made of metal. Bone or another natural substance. Usually enchanted with toughness and are as strong as metal.
- +2 racial bonus to listen and spot. +2 hide and move silently, except bears who get a +2 climb and balance. Also +2 on knowledge of nature.
- +4 Natural AC
- x3 a day, Know Direction, x2 a day goodberry and charm animal, x1 a day Bind wounds (using natural salves heals 1d10+1/per lvl)
- The trademark ability of the race is their ability to shift; that is, to bring their more animalistic talents to the fore, gaining some useful ability and a bonus to a single, usually physical, statistic for a long time. Most shifters can use these abilities as much as he wants, for however long he wants it and can shift about less than 30 seconds and this is what he can do:
- Beasthide: shifters can increase their natural Armor Class, making them harder to damage, while gaining a bonus to Constitution and therefore extra Hit Points, making them harder to bring down.
- Longtooth: shifters can grow fangs and gain a natural bite attack, as well as an increase in Strength.
- Cliffwalk: shifters gain a bonus to Dexterity and much improved climbing ability.
- Razorclaw': shifters gain a claw attack and an increase in their Strength score.
- Longstride: shifters become fleeter of foot and gain an increase to their Dexterity score.
- Wildhunt: shifters gain the extraordinary ability to smell as well as a predatory animal, allowing them to track by scent, as well as a bonus to Constitution. Wildhunt shifters also gain a permanent bonus to their tracking ability even when not shifted, due to their residual ability to smell well at all times.
- Dreamsight: shifters are the rarest of all. While shifting, they gain a bonus to their Wisdom as well as the ability to speak with animals in a supernatural manner. Dreamsight shifters, like Wildhunt shifters, also have a permanent bonus to their skills, but in the case of Dreamsight shifters it is an increase in their ability to communicate with animals (reflected in the skill Handle Animal).
- Gorebrute: shifters gain a pair of horns which can thereafter be used in a natural charge attack, as well as a bonus to Strength.
- Swiftwing: shifters gain a bonus to their Dexterity scores while at the same time growing leathery flaps of skin similar to a bat's wings which allow him to fly at slightly less than walking pace.
- Truedive: shifters receive a bonus to their Constitution score, a bonus to their Swim skill, and an increase in their swimming speed while shifting. Even when not shifting, a Truedive shifter can hold their breath for amazing amounts of time.
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|350 years||500 years||750 years||+6d6 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||5'10"||+2d10||120 lb.||× (1d4) lb|
|Female||5'5"||+2d10||115 lb.||× (1d4) lb.|