Shamanic Dominator (3.5e Class)
From D&D Wiki
|Editing:||Still working on it. :)|
There are shamans, and then, there are Shamanic Dominators.
Shamanic Dominators are the leaders, oracles, and overlords of the shamanistic tribes.
Religion: Shamanic Dominators gain their power through their god, and so worship the gods that give them those powers.
Background: Generally Shamanic Dominators learn their skills at a young age, growing up in a leadership position, but power knows no boundaries and sometimes comes even from common orcs.
Making a Shamanic Dominator
Shamanic Dominators are a different take on a Cleric-like class. While Shamanic Dominators don't get as powerful of spells as other classes, they make up for it with long term sustainability and volume. Shamanic Dominators tend to be leaders. Good dominators use their power to help others, while Evil dominators use their power to grow their power. They cast spells somewhat like clerics, where the power is given to them divinely by their god, but cast spontaneously like sorcerers.
When Shamanic Dominators travel, they do so to benefit their tribe, clan, or society. They do it to either to gain power and knowledge, or to loot and conquer.
Abilities: Wisdom determines how powerful a spell a Shamanic Dominator can cast. Like a wizard or sorcerer, they benefit from high constitution scores and dexterity for defense.
Races: Most common among wild, tribal races. Orc leaders and wise men often travel down this path, as well as some of the wilder human races. Troll and Goblins have been also known to take the Shamanic Dominator class, as well as some of the wilder halflings tribes.
Alignment: Any-non chaotic is acceptable, but they tend towards Law - they like to keep their societies together.
Starting Gold: 4d6×10 gp (140 gp).
|Saving Throws||Special||Spells per Day||AC Bonus|
|2nd||+1||+0||+2||+3||Shamanic Dominance, 10 feet||3||0||—||—||—||—||—||+0|
|6th||+4||+2||+5||+5||Shamanic Dominance, 20 feet||3||3||2||—||—||—||—||+1|
|10th||+7/+2||+3||+7||+7||Shamanic Dominance, 30 feet||3||3||3||2||0||—||—||+2|
|14th||+10/+5||+4||+9||+9||Shamanic Dominance, 40 feet||4||3||3||3||2||1||—||+2|
|15th||+11/+6/+1||+5||+9||+9||Greater Shamanic Empowerment||4||4||3||3||3||2||—||+3|
|18th||+13/+8/+3||+6||+11||+11||Shamanic Dominance, 50 feet||4||4||4||4||4||3||2||+3|
Class Skills (6 + Int modifier per level, ×4 at 1st level)
All of the following are class features of the Shamanic Dominator.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: shamanic dominators are proficient with all simple weapons. They are not proficient with armor or shields. Since a shamanic dominator's magic comes from his deity, armor does not interfere with spellcasting, and they may wear it if trained.
AC Bonus (Ex): When unarmored and unencumbered, the shamanic dominator adds her Wisdom bonus (if any) to his AC. In addition, a shamanic dominator gains a +1 bonus to AC at 5th level. This bonus increases by 1 for every five monk levels thereafter (+2 at 10th, +3 at 15th, and +4 at 20th level).
These bonuses to AC apply even against touch attacks or when the shamanic dominator is flat-footed. He loses these bonuses when he is immobilized or helpless, when he wears any armor, when he carries a shield, or when he carries a medium or heavy load.
Spells: Shamanic dominators cast Divine spells like clerics, druids, paladins, and rangers but may cast any spell from their list without preparing it ahead of time, like a sorcerer.
Shamanic Dominators meditate or pray for their spells. To regain spells, a shamanic dominator must use his Shamanic Invocation ability. Time spent resting has no effect on whether a shamanic dominator can prepare spells. As they level, they pick new spells form the shamanic dominator spell list, below.
They choose their spells from the following list:
- Cure Minor Wounds: Cures 1 point of damage.
- Disrupt Undead: Deals 1d6 damage to one undead.
- Guidance: +1 on one attack roll, saving throw, or skill check.
- Inflict Minor Wounds: Touch attack, 1 point of damage.
- Light: Object shines like a torch.
- Message: Whispered conversation at distance.
- Ray of Frost: Ray deals 1d3 cold damage.
- Resistance: Subject gains +1 on saving throws.
- Cause Fear: One creature of 5 HD or less flees for 1d4 rounds.
- Chill Touch: One touch/level deals 1d6 damage and possibly 1 Str damage.
- Command: One subject obeys selected command for 1 round.
- Cure Light Wounds: Cures 1d8 damage +1/level (max +5).
- Doom: One subject takes –2 on attack rolls, damage rolls, saves, and checks.
- Inflict Light Wounds: Touch deals 1d8 damage +1/level (max +5).
- Longstrider: Increases your speed.
- Magic Weapon: Weapon gains +1 bonus.
- Shield of Faith: Aura grants +2 or higher deflection bonus.
- Aid: +1 on attack rolls and saves against fear, 1d8 temporary hp +1/level (max +10).
- Bear's Endurance: Subject gains +4 to Con for 1 min./level.
- Bull's Strength: Subject gains +4 to Str for 1 min./level.
- Cat's Grace: Subject gains +4 to Dex for 1 min./level.
- Continual FlameM: Makes a permanent, heatless torch.
- Cure Moderate Wounds: Cures 2d8 damage +1/level (max +10).
- Darkness: 20-ft. radius of supernatural shadow.
- Hold Person: Paralyzes one humanoid for 1 round/level.
- Inflict Moderate Wounds: Touch attack, 2d8 damage +1/level (max +10).
- Restoration, Lesser: Dispels magical ability penalty or repairs 1d4 ability damage.
- Protection from Arrows: Subject immune to most ranged attacks.
- See Invisibility: Reveals invisible creatures or objects.
- Spike Growth: Creatures in area take 1d4 damage, may be slowed.
- Zone of Truth: Subjects within range cannot lie.
- Bestow Curse: –6 to an ability score; –4 on attack rolls, saves, and checks; or 50% chance of losing each action.
- Blindness/Deafness: Makes subject blinded or deafened.
- Blink: You randomly vanish and reappear for 1 round/level.
- Cure Serious Wounds: Cures 3d8 damage +1/level (max +15).
- Daylight: 60-ft. radius of bright light.
- Darkvision: See 60 ft. in total darkness.
- Deeper Darkness: Object sheds supernatural shadow in 60-ft. radius.
- Dispel Magic: Cancels spells and magical effects.
- Haste: One creature/level moves faster, +1 on attack rolls, AC, and Reflex saves.
- Inflict Serious Wounds: Touch attack, 3d8 damage +1/level (max +15).
- Invisibility Purge: Dispels invisibility within 5 ft./level.
- Fly: Subject flies at speed of 60 ft.
- Remove Blindness/Deafness: Cures normal or magical conditions.
- Remove Curse: Frees object or person from curse.
- Remove Disease: Cures all diseases affecting subject.
- Slow: One subject/level takes only one action/round, –1 to AC, reflex saves, and attack rolls.
- Charm Monster: Makes monster believe it is your ally.
- Confusion: Subjects behave oddly for 1 round/level.
- Cure Critical Wounds: Cures 4d8 damage +1/level (max +20).
- Death Ward: Grants immunity to death spells and negative energy effects.
- Fear: Subjects within cone flee for 1 round/level.
- Freedom of Movement: Subject moves normally despite impediments.
- Magic Weapon, Greater: +1 bonus/four levels (max +5).
- Inflict Critical Wounds: Touch attack, 4d8 damage +1/level (max +20).
- Poison: Touch deals 1d10 Con damage, repeats in 1 min.
- Restoration M: Restores level and ability score drains.
- Spell Immunity: Subject is immune to one spell per four levels.
- Commune X: Deity answers one yes-or-no question/level.
- Dominate Person: Controls humanoid telepathically.
- Dispel Chaos: +4 bonus against attacks.
- Dispel Evil: +4 bonus against attacks.
- Dispel Good: +4 bonus against attacks.
- Dispel Law: +4 bonus against attacks.
- Disrupting Weapon: Melee weapon destroys undead.
- Flame Strike: Smite foes with divine fire (1d6/level damage).
- Hallow M: Designates location as holy.
- Plane Shift F: As many as eight subjects travel to another plane.
- Raise Dead M: Restores life to subject who died as long as one day/level ago.
- Slay Living: Touch attack kills subject.
- Spell Resistance: Subject gains SR 12 + level.
- Teleport: Instantly transports you as far as 100 miles/level.
- True Seeing M: Lets you see all things as they really are.
- Unhallow M: Designates location as unholy.
- Antimagic Field: Negates magic within 10 ft.
- Banishment: Banishes 2 HD/level of extraplanar creatures.
- Disintegrate: Makes one creature or object vanish.
- Dispel Magic, Greater: As dispel magic, but up to +20 on check.
- Forbiddance M: Blocks planar travel, damages creatures of different alignment.
- Harm: Deals 10 points/level damage to target.
- Heal: Cures 10 points/level of damage, all diseases and mental conditions.
- Mislead: Turns you invisible and creates illusory double.
- Word of Recall: Teleports you back to designated place.
Like Bards and Sorcerers, shamanic dominators may only cast spells that they currently know.
Deity, Domains, and Domain Spells: A shamanic dominator’s deity influences his alignment, what magic he can perform, his values, and how others see him. A shamanic dominator chooses two domains from among those belonging to his deity. A cleric can select an alignment domain (Chaos, Evil, Good, or Law) only if his alignment matches that domain.
If a shamanic dominator is not devoted to a particular deity, he still selects two domains to represent his spiritual inclinations and abilities. The restriction on alignment domains still applies.
Each domain gives the shamanic dominator access to a domain spell at each spell level he can cast, from 1st on up, as well as a granted power. The shamanic dominator gets the granted powers of both the domains selected.
Shamanic dominators add the domain spells to his spells known list. They may only be cast if you can cast spells of that level, as usual for spells.
Shamanic Invocation (Ex): A shamanic dominator's power is tied so close to his deity that at the end of every encounter the Shamanic Dominator must spend six minutes praying for thanks or penance, depending on how the events unfolded. This is done using a Knowledge religion check. Depending on how well the Shamanic Invocation is received, the Shamanic Dominator may be awarded additional spell casts, or punished with the removal of spell casts.
The DC for the test is secret to the player. The Base DC for these checks are 15 for a successful encounter, or 25 for a failed encounter. This is modified by the difference from Encounter Level and Effective Character Level. After the roll is made, subtract the DC from the roll. This is the total sum of availble spells, in total spell levels that the Shamanic Dominator gains or loses. The player may take 10 on this roll. The player may also take 20, but this increases the time to two hours.
For example, if a Fyarg is a 10th level Half-orc Shamanic Dominator with a +12 in Knowledge religion. He successfully passed a Encounter Level 12 encounter. The DM sets the DC at 13 ( 15 (base) + 10 (effective character level) - 12 (encounter level)). If he takes 10, Fyarg gets a total of 8 spell levels worth of spells returned to him ( 10 + 13 - 15 = 8 ). He then restores one 1st, one 3rd, and one 4th. Alternatively, he could have restored four 1st, and one 4th, or two 2nd and one 4th.
If the prayers do not begin shortly (~15 minutes) after the encounter, the shamanic dominator receives a cumulative -1 penalty divine on all rolls for each encounter not prayed for on all checks until this is check is done. If a shamanic dominator has not performed his Shamanic Invocation before his normal time to pray for spells again, he may receive reduced, or in the case of blatant purposeful avoidance, no spells and at the DM's discretion, lose all class abilities until they atone via an Atonement spell.
A shamanic dominator also picks one time each day that they may pray for spells ouside of a successful encounter, like a cleric. Unlike a cleric, this is also a skill test, with a DC 20. It takes half the time of a shamanic invocation (base, 3 minutes) and a player may still take 10 or 20 (consuming 30 minutes or one hour, respectively.) They must pray at this time (or as close as possible), or suffer the cumulative penalties as mentioned above.
Soul Cry (Sp): Starting at 3rd level, as a swift action, a shamanic dominator can sacrifice a spell of any level he knows to gain a temporary enhancement bonus to his Strength equal to 2 * spell level, lasting 1 round per class level. For example, an 5th level Shamanic Dominator that sacrifices a 2rd level spell gets a +4 enhancement bonus to strength for 5 rounds.
Shamanic Dominance (Sp): At 4th level, while casting a spell that normally has a single target or touch target, he may make it affect any and all targets in area centered upon himself. At 4th level, the radius is 10 feet. At 8th level, it grows to 20 feet, and increases by 10 feet every four levels thereafter.
Shamanic Alacrity (Sp): At 5th level as swift action a shamanic dominator may sacrifice a spell of any level. Then he may cast a number of harmless spells equal to the level of spell sacrificed as a single, full round action. Treat this ability as a single spell equal to the level of the spell sacrificed.
Shamanic Empowerment (Ex): At 7th level a shamanic dominator's spells are harder to resist, and the DC for them is increased by +1.
Shamanic Echo (Sp): At 8th level, as a swift action a shamanic dominator can add the Shamanic Echo ability to the next spell he casts. If the next spell cast has a duration of 'instant' or 'permanent', the effects of that spell occur again at the beginning of the Shamanic Dominator's next turn against the same targets. Treat the echo as if the spell was cast again.
Soul Guard (Sp): At 9th level a Shamanic Dominator may, as a swift action, sacrifice a spell of any level he knows to gain an enhancement bonus to AC of 2 * the level of the spell sacrificed that lasts for 1 combat round per class level. For example, if a 10th level Shamanic Dominator sacrifices a level 4 spell, he temporarily gains a +8 enhancement bonus to AC.
Shamanic Celerity (Sp): At 11th level, the character may cast a spell as a swift action. They may only do this 3 times per day, plus an additional times per day equal to your wisdom modifier. No matter the reason, a shamanic dominator may still only cast one spell per round.
Soul Shield (Sp): At 13th level a shamanic dominator may, as a swift action, sacrifice a spell of any level he knows to gain a spell resistance of 10 + 4 * the level of the spell sacrificed that lasts for 1 combat round per class level. For example, if a 10th level Shamanic Dominator sacrifices a level 4 spell, he temporarily gains a spell resistance of 26.
Greater Shamanic Empowerment (Ex): At 15th level a shamanic dominator's spell DC increases by another +1. In addition, all spells of 3rd or lower level gain a bonus +1 caster level for the purposes of spell penetration.
Soul Stability (Ex): At 17th level a shamanic dominator's Soul abilities become so innate, they last for 1 minute per class level, instead of 1 round per level.
Soul Echos (Ex): At 20th level a shamanic dominator's Soul abilities become so one with his deity and his ability, they become Extraordinary abilities instead of Spell-like.
Shamanic dominators who take levels in other classes or become chaotic lose all class features. If he abandons his deity or change alignment away from his deity's alignment, he loses all class features.