Shadow Born (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
Never has a race inspired such controversy. Originated from ancient Elven spells, Shadow Born are spirit like beings summoned to guard the night and preserve the peace in darkness.
Shadow Born at a glance look like evil creatures, but if given time they will explain that they are in truth creatures who hate evil with all their souls. Mostly laid back and slow to conflict, Shadow Born are good observers and can figure out when a situation has taken a turn for the worse quicker than most. Though not much of a leader, Shadow Born are very influential and smooth talkers. Very quiet and stealthy, Shadow Born can use these traits as terrific spies and theft.
Shadow Born are figures that look like they are composed of shadows, and in truth they are full shadow able to stay together for means unknown by any mortal. They stand about 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 feet tall, pitch black and have golden slits for their eyes.
Shadow Born can get along with other good aligned races and will if given the chance to explain themselves, but they are usually rejected and attacked because others assume they are evil from their physical attributes. Elves and Shadow Born have a longstanding amicable history. Elves will often treat Shadow Born as one of their own.
Any Good: Shadow Born are always good and hate evil with every fiber of their being.
Shadow Born live in all lands, never really finding a home but are welcome in any Elven society. First being cast from Elven spells, Shadow Born have been known to wander and roam the earth, fulfilling its drive to purify evil with the aide of night/darkness.
Most Shadow Born worship Notte, God of the Night. However some will worship Corellon Larethian.
Shadow Born speak Dronalianuss, the language of shadows, as well as Elven (Perfect) & may have Draconic as a bonus language.
Shadow Born are given names in Common with good meanings such as Hope, Prosperity, and Joy while others follow a dark meaning referring
to night and darkness.
Shadow Born are tough to kill and very fast, but being composed of shadow makes them not too strong. During battle, Shadow Born can become one's shadow, aiding the host. If so, the shadow takes its own turn to attack using its own abilities and traits, but also takes on half of the damage the host receives during battle. Even though Shadow Born can come and go as he/she pleases (from hosts), they can only be healed at midnight or by casting the "Darkness" spell. +2 Attack/+2 AC while in shadow/darkness/night. -2 Attack/-2 AC outside of shadow/during day/light.
- -2 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution:
- Medium: A Shadow Born does not gain any bonuses for being a medium creature.
- Infinite Darkvision, 120 feet Low-light vision
- Shadow Born base land speed is 40 feet; fly, 40 feet (perfect).
- +2 bonus to armor class.
- Cannot wear armor.
- 100% healed at midnight of each day. Can not be healed by potions or spells.
- Hide in Plain Sight: A Shadow Born can hide in plain sight when within 30 feet of shadows or darkness and are always hidden at night, they can also hide when being observed.
- Gleam: A shadow born can alert nearby players of his whereabouts by gleaming its golden slit eyes. This is a free action and can be continuous or activated at will. Only players friendly toward the Shadow Born are able to see the gleam, unless otherwise stated by the character.
- Darkvision: Shadow Born can see in the dark without a light as if it the middle of day.
- Freedom of Movement: Shadow Born can move about freely as if under the affect of the Freedom of Movement spell. This functions as a continuous supernatural ability.
- Endure Elements: Shadow Born can exist comfortably in any environment as if under the affects of the Endure Elements spell and can survive survive on the Elemental Planes indefinitely. Like their Freedom of Movement special ability, this functions as a continuous supernatural ability.
- Immunity to Disease and poisons
- Spell-Like Ability: 3/day—Darkness, Protection from Chaos, Protection from Evil, Displacement, and Detect Evil. The save DC is Charisma-based.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Abyssal, Dronalianuss, Elven(perfect). Bonus Languages: Draconic, Sylvan, Halfling, Gnome, Celestial, Auran, Ignan, Terran, and Aquan.
- Favored Class: Rogue.
- Level Adjustment: +1
Shadow Born do not age and can only be killed by swords and the like during battle.
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||5' 6"||+1d12||0 lb.||× 0 lb.|
|Female||5' 6"||+1d10||0 lb.||× 0 lb.|