Shadelings (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
Shadelings are short, curious creatures that live in peace with the nature.
 Physical Description
Shadelings are usually 3-1/2 to 4 feet tall and weigh a bit over 70 pounds. Shadeling females are a bit shorter and lighter than males. Shadelings are muscular and robust creatures when compared to other races of small stature. Shadelings have lived in nature longer than anyone can remember. Because of this, they have developed a short fur that protects shadelings from natural hazards such as cold. It's color is usually brown or black but old shadelings' fur turns grey. Shadelings' eyes are most often red or yellow. Casually shadelings don't wear clothes other than simple loinclothes. In combat, however, they prefer leather or hide armor.
Shadelings are an isolated race and don't meet other races very much. Because they are curious and have no prejudices, they get well along with almost any non-hostile race they come across. Sometimes gnomes and shadelings build strong relationships, because they both have a special bond with nature and are both short races. Elves rarely befriend shadelings because they consider shadelings too savage and uncivilized compared to elves. Dwarves, humans and halflings rarely even meet shadelings.
Shadelings tend to be chaotic rather than lawful. Shadelings are usually either good or neutral, and evil shadelings are very rare.
Shadelings live in shadowy temperate forests or jungles. They form loose communities that usually don't have an apparent leader. It is common for shadeling tribes to build simple huts in high trees, as the trees are a good shelter against wild animals and other dangers.
Shadelings speak Common and Sylvan.
 Racial Traits
- +2 Dexterity, −2 Charisma: Shadelings are agile but lack force of personality. They are also more muscular than other small races.
- Small: As a Small creature, a shadeling gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but he uses smaller weapons than humans use, and his lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
- Shadeling's base land speed is 20ft.
- Shadowmeld (Ex): Shadelings have an extraordinary ability to meld into shadows. They gain +4 to Hide checks while using Hide in a shadowy area. This ability doesn't grant an ability to hide in plain sight.
- Low-light vision (Ex): A shadeling can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. He retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
- +2 racial bonus to Listen and Spot checks. Shadelings have tuned senses.
- +2 racial bonus to Climb and Move Silently checks.
- +2 racial bonus to Survival and Knowledge (nature) checks that involve forests.
- Automatic Languages: Common and Sylvan. Bonus Languages: .
- Favored Class: Rogue.
 Vital Statistics
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|80 years||120 years||160 years||+6d20 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||3' 5"||+2d4||70 lb.||× (2) lb.|
|Female||2' 11"||+2d4||62 lb.||× (1-1/2) lb.|